他告诉我,我会忘记沙漠,忘记他们为之奋斗的东西。
He told me I would forget the desert, and what they had fought for.
但我怎么会不记得呢?
But how could I not remember?
那是我生命开始的地方。
It was where my life began.
在这片土地上,死亡不是结束,而是开始。
This land where death is not the end, but only the beginning.
在我知道这是一个故事之前,故事就开始了。
The story began before I knew it was a story.
在我知道他是谁之前就听到了他的声音。
Hearing his voice before I knew who he was.
为真理而斗争是为人类尊严而斗争的一部分。
The struggle for truth is part of the struggle for human dignity.
他只把他的奉献献给真理的祭坛… …这是美国天才和精神最真实的产物。
And only to the altar of truth has he borne his offerings… …the most genuine product of American genius and spirit.
很高兴见到你,温斯洛小姐。上课了吗?
Nice to see you, Miss Winslow. Have classes begun yet?
我不确定我今年会不会教书。
I’m not sure I’m teaching this year.
你妈妈好吗?
And how is your mother?
很好,谢谢。
Very well, thank you.
我想学西班牙语。你有书吗?
I’d like to learn Spanish. Have you any books?
西班牙语吗?好吧,我们必须有一些东西。让我看看。西班牙语,多有趣。
Spanish? Well, we must have something. Let me see. Spanish, how interesting.
一个作家的典范我很荣幸向大家介绍… …这些绝妙的文集的作者安布罗斯·比尔斯!
A paragon of a writer. I am honoured to present… … the author of these marvellous collected works, Ambrose Bierce!
女士们……羡慕的女士… …假正经… …妇女参政论者,愚蠢的美国女人… …,先生们。
Ladies… …admiring ladies… …prudes… … suffragettes, foolish women of America… …and gentlemen.
首先,我要向你们这些从事文字工作的专业人士… …致意他们已经腐♥败♥了。
I address, above all, you professionals of the written word… …who are already corrupt.
或者在销♥售♥你的钢笔产品的路上… …出价最高者。
Or well on your way to selling the products of your pens… …to the highest bidder.
女士们先生们,比尔斯先生身体不舒服…只是我的肺有病!
Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bierce isn’t well… Only my lungs are sick!
我说的每一个字都直接来自我完全清醒的头脑!
Every word I utter comes directly from my perfectly lucid mind!
在我的编辑的话里有一些东西,但是,是的。
There is something in my editor’s words, however, yes.
是的。
Yes.
当他说我只忠于真理的时候。是的。
When he spoke of my being faithful only to the truth. Yes.
日复一日,相信每一个印出来的字都是永恒的。
Day after day, believing that every printed word was eternal.
并且会,以某种方式… …人们思想的开放。
And would, somehow… … open men’s minds.
我…………牺牲了我家人的每一天。
I… …sacrificed every day of my family’s life.
我孩子们的每一天。
Every day of my children’s lives.
和什么?我写的。你读。他变得富有。
And for what? I wrote. You read. He grew richer.
赫斯特,我报社的老板。
Hearst, the owner of my newspaper.
他获得了更多的权力。
He acquired more power.
我的话与事实不符。他们为他服务。
My words did not serve the truth. They served him.
现在,在这场胜利的演讲之后… …这14卷毫无意义的纸… …我向你告别。
Now, after this triumphant presentation… … o f these 14 volumes of meaningless paper… …I bid you farewell.
我要直视你们的脸!
I look you all straight in the face!
带着巨大的快乐… …我向你告别!
And with an enormous amount of pleasure… …I bid you farewell!
我希望永远不要再见到你!
I hope never to see you again!
那天我从没见过他的脸。
I never saw his face that day.
他做了我在那之前不敢做的事… …告别他的世界… …就像我父亲15年前做的那样。
He had done what I hadn’t dared to do until then… … say farewell to his world… … just as my father had done 15 years before.
哈丽特,我准备好了!
Harriet, I’m ready!
哈里特!
Harriet!
你还没穿衣服呢。我们会迟到的。
You’re not dressed yet. We’ll be late.
-我不去。-你说什么?
– I’m not going. – What did you say?
我不会跟你去阿灵顿参加那个仪式。
I’m not going with you to Arlington, to that ceremony.
不了。
Not ever again.
今天是古巴战争爆发15周年。
It’s the 15th anniversary of the war in Cuba.
你父亲的同事们都会到场。
Your father’s fellow officers will be there.
如果我们不在,他们会怎么想?
What’ll they think if we aren’t there?
你在做什么?
What are you doing?
你怎么能这么不尊重你父亲的记忆?
How can you be so disrespectful of your father’s memory?
我不是不尊重你。我是诚实的。
I’m not being disrespectful. I’m being honest.
从现在起,我要诚实面对我父亲的记忆。
From now on I’m going to be honest with my father’s memory.
我不知道你怎么了。
I don’t know what’s gotten into you.
吃点那种药缓解一下神经。
Take a few of those pills for your nerves.
你几个月来都不对劲。打破你的订婚……那个订婚是个谎言!就像收支票是谎言一样… …15年… …作为亲爱的家人…
You haven’t been yourself for months. Breaking your engagement… That engagement was a lie! Like it’s a lie to collect checks… …for 15 years… …as the beloved family…
...一个在战场上光荣牺牲的人。
…of a man who died honourably on the battlefield.
哈丽特,控制自己。
Harriet, control yourself.
我不想控制自己。
I don’t want to control myself.
我不想吃药。
I don’t want pills.
我不想给还活着的父亲举♥行♥葬礼。
I don’t want funeral honours for a father who’s still alive.
妈妈,让我最后再说一遍。活着!比我们更有活力。
Mother, let me say it finally. Alive! More alive than we are.
我不明白你在说什么。
I don’t understand what you’re talking about.
你不是寡妇,母亲。
You’re not a widow, Mother.
他没回来是因为他不想和你住在一起。
He didn’t come back because he didn’t want to live with you.
你丈夫离开了你。
Your husband left you.
现在你打算做同样的事。
And now you are planning to do the same.
你太想抛弃我… …一句话也不说!
You too want to abandon me… …without saying a word!
这是十月的。你有这个多久了?
This is dated October. How long have you had this?
你怎么敢?
How dare you?
你怎么敢回应我的提议?你失去理智了吗?
How dare you respond to the offer? Have you taken leave of your senses?
这是我这辈子做的第一件明智的事。
This is the first sensible thing I’ve done in my life.
我已经聘请了!
I’ve been hired!
你不是认真的吧!你不能在墨西哥人家当仆人!
You can’t be serious! You can’t be a servant in some Mexican family!
你是一个受过教育的独♥立♥女孩。
You’re an educated, independent girl.
我不是女孩,妈妈。我是一个老处♥女♥。
I’m not a girl, Mother. I’m a spinster.
我不是独♥立♥的。我喜欢你。我们靠不应得的养老金生活。
I’m not independent. I’m like you. We live on pensions we don’t deserve.
你为什么不试着叫一次东西的名字呢?
Why don’t you try calling things by their name for once?
哈丽特… …你太像你父亲了。
You know, Harriet… … you are too much like your father.
上面还有一个。
There’s one more on top.
-在街上砸桶。
– Smashing barrels in the street.
——布dA-as。-他们说维拉会禁止酒精
– Buenos dÃxadas. – They say Villa will outlaw alcohol.
-我是哈里特·温斯洛。-是的,您的房♥间已经准备好了。
– I’m Harriet Winslow. – Yes, your room is ready.
饮酒将被处以死刑。
Drinking will be punishable by death.
我希望你对你的房♥间满意。-我想发个电报。
– I hope you’re pleased with your room. – I’d like to send a telegram.
是的。
Yes.
他们要对付墨西哥的八个重要家族。
They’re moving against eight important families in Mexico.
宣布他们为革命的敌人并没收他们的财产。
Declaring them enemies of the Revolution and confiscating property.
还有什么我们可以为您效劳的吗?
Is there anything else we can do for you?
霍华德,我听不见!
Howard, I can’t hear you!
但收信人是米兰达。
But it’s addressed to Miranda.
你能马上给我寄过来吗?
Could you send that for me right away?
-他们在等我的消息。-我们会尽我们所能… …但有时他们会切断线路,有时他们会拦截。
– They’re waiting to hear. – We’ll do what we can… … but sometimes they cut the lines, sometimes they intercept them.
米兰达被宣布为革命的敌人。
Miranda has been declared an enemy of the Revolution.
我刚打电♥话♥给报社。
I just phoned it to my paper.
不好意思,我不小心听到了。职业责任。
Excuse me, I couldn’t help but overhear. Professional liability.
你刚才说的是什么意思?
What does that mean, what you just said?
吉娃娃现在是革命的领地。
Chihuahua is now revolutionary territory.
米兰达庄园由联邦军队控制。你不打算去那儿?
The Miranda hacienda is controlled by Federales. You’re not going there?
也许你还是回家比较明智。
Perhaps it would be wiser for you to return home.
不,谢谢。
No, gracias.
我这辈子再也不买♥♥报纸了。
I’ll never buy another newspaper in my life.
你懂英语吗?
You understand English?
不,你当然不知道。
No, of course you don’t.
我在写最后一封信。
I’m writing my last letter.
生命中每件事都有最后一次。
There’s always a last time for everything in life.
“如果你听说我被站在墨西哥石墙前… …你知道,我认为这是一个很好的告别方式。
“If you hear of my being stood up against a Mexican stone wall… …a nd shot to rags, please know I consider it a good way to depart.
战胜了衰老,疾病,或者从楼梯上摔下来。
Beats old age, disease, or falling down the stairs.
在墨西哥做一个外国佬… …这是安乐死!”
To be a gringo in Mexico… …that is euthanasia!”
晚安。你是温斯洛小姐吗?
Buenas noches. Are you Miss Winslow?
——晚安。是的,我是。-我叫弗鲁托斯·加西亚。
– Buenas noches. Yes, I am. – My name is Frutos Garcia.
你收到米兰达家的电报了吗?
You got a telegram from the Mirandas?
他们派你来找我了吗?
Have they sent you for me?
这是一个漫长的旅程。我们将在日出前离开。
It’s a long trip. We’ll leave before sunrise.
新年快乐!
Happy New Year!
她会把行李给我们的。
She’ll give us the luggage.
一个外籍佬不会认为一个聪明的印度人会欺骗她。
A gringa wouldn’t think an Indian smart enough to trick her.
如果米兰达一家走了怎么办?
What if the Mirandas have left?
但他们给她发了电报。
But they wired her.
如果他们离开了呢?
What if they left?
我答应过维拉将军圣诞节送米兰达的,记得吗?
I promised General Villa a Miranda for Christmas, remember?
然后我们与比利亚联合占领奥吉那加城。
And then we join with Villa to capture the city of Ojinaga.
有什么特别的原因盯着我吗?
Staring at me for any particular reason?
我从未见过一个老人喝得这么多。
I have never seen an old man drink so much.
革命者应该学习一些历史。在每一场战争中… …醉酒的民族征服了清醒的民族。
Revolutionaries should study some history. In every war… …drunken nations have conquered the sober one.
酒鬼总是说得比枪法好。
Drunks always talk better than they shoot.
-你以为我喝醉了——不是吗?
– You think I’m drunk. – Aren’t you?
NiA±o,新闻记者。来,帮我一下。
Niño, newspaperman. Come, help me for a moment.
也许先生愿意和我们一起吃晚餐。
Maybe mister would like to join us for dinner.
不,谢谢。
No, gracias.
-我想和你一起去。——在哪里?
– I want to go with you. – Where?
我在找维拉。
I am looking for Villa.
你找他干什么?
What do you want with him?