他在那儿!
There he is!
他举止多么高贵。
How nobly he bears himself.
成为一个男人和英雄的感觉一定很棒。
Oh, it must be wonderful to be a man and a hero.
他举止像个国王。
He carries himself like a king.
看看他的眼睛是如何不停地向上看的……寻找女王。
See how his eyes constantly look up… searching for the queen.
是的,他是不是很棒?
Yes, isn’t he wonderful?
是的,爱也有它的胜利。
Yes, and love too has its victories.
这个,我想,是属于女王陛下的。
And this, I think, belongs to Her Majesty.
如果一个人是女王并且可以指挥的话,这是一场轻松的胜利。
An easy victory if one is a queen and may command it.
万一女王陛下听到了怎么办?
What if Her Majesty should overhear you?
艾塞克斯回来的那天,宫殿里的每条衬裙都是为了取悦他而挑选的。
The day when Essex returns, every petticoat at the palace is chosen with an eye to pleasing him.
来吧,我的儿子,你该进客厅了。
Come along, my son, it’s time you went into the presence chamber.
你想怎么做就怎么做,父亲。
You may do as you please, father.
-我不会参与这件事的-别傻了,塞西尔
– I’ll have no part in this. – Don’t be a fool, Cecil.
伊丽莎白有时很难缠,即使她心情好的时候。
Elizabeth can be difficult, even on her good day.
不管日子是好是坏,埃塞克斯回家了,我们很少能看到她。
Good days or bad, we’ll see little enough of her now with Essex home.
我们得做点什么来玷污他否则他就得和她分享英格兰的王位了。
Something’s got to be done to tarnish him or we’ll have him sharing England’s throne with her.
那么我们将在哪里?不,如果我欢迎他,我会被绞死的。
Then where shall we be? No, I’ll be hanged if I welcome him.
否则你会被绞死的,儿子。
You may be hanged if you do not, my son.
你知道女王陛下对他的迷恋。
You know Her Majesty’s infatuation for him.
但是,陛下,我必须请求您重新考虑。
But, Your Majesty, I must beg you to reconsider.
埃塞克斯是个骄傲的人,你不能,你不能这样对他。
Essex is a proud man, you cannot, you must not do this thing to him.
培根,这对我来说可不容易。
Bacon, this will not be easy for me.
不管他做过什么,他都是最让我感动的人。
Whatever he has done, he is the man of all men closest to my heart.
无论他受什么苦,我都比他更专心地忍♥受一千倍。
Whatever he suffers, I suffer a thousand times more intently.
那为什么,陛下,为什么?
Then why, Your Majesty, why?
因为女王的需求必须超越女人的需求。
Because the necessities of a queen must transcend those of a woman.
他的野心危及了英国人♥民♥的繁荣。
His ambition has jeopardized the prosperity of the English people.
这可能会危及英国的和平与稳定。
It may endanger the very peace and stability of England.
陛下,请原谅我的直言不讳,但您对他的爱会危及局势。
Your Majesty, forgive this frankness, but your love for him jeopardizes the situation.
这种情况对我的臣民来说后果非常严重,培根。
A situation fraught with gravest consequence for my subjects, Bacon.
这件事不能牵涉到我的个人感情。
My personal feelings must not enter into this.
上帝保佑我。
God help me.
走了。别理我。
Go now. Let me alone.
陛下。
Your Majesty.
我的粉丝。快点。
My fan. Hurry.
——举起武器!——了!
– Present arms! – Up!
罗伯特·德弗罗,蒙艾塞克斯伯爵陛下恩宠,骑兵将军兼吊带骑士。
Robert Devereux, by grace of Her Majesty Earl of Essex, general of the horse and knight of the garter.
查尔斯,艾芬厄姆的霍华德男爵,英格兰的海军上将。
Charles, Baron Howard of Effingham, Lord High Admiral of England.
沃尔特·罗利,骑士,舰队副上将,斯坦纳里典狱长。
Walter Raleigh, knight, vice admiral of the fleets, and warden of the Stannary.
埃塞克斯大人,你要向我下跪致敬吗?还是羞愧?
Do you kneel in homage, my lord Essex… or in shame?
羞耻,陛下?
Shame, Your Majesty?
你失去了听力和军事技能吗?
Have you lost your hearing as well as your military skill?
站起来。
Stand up.
我相信我的军事才能在加的斯表现得很好,夫人。
I believe my military skill was well demonstrated at Cadiz, madam.
有没有可能我们的局长还没把我获胜的消息告诉你?
Is it possible our commissioner hasn’t brought you news of my victory?
你的胜利!
Your victory!
三年来,英国的雨水把我们的收成都烂掉了。
For three years, the rains of England have rotted our harvest to the ground.
三年饥荒,国库枯竭。
Three years of famine and a depleted treasury.
但埃塞克斯大人有解药。
But my lord of Essex had the cure for that.
是的,确实。
Yes, indeed.
â“只要给我五万英镑,夫人,”他说,“我就开到加的斯去接你â“这样一支西班牙宝藏舰队将使英国再次富裕起来。”
âx80x9cRaise me but 50,000 pounds, madam,” says he, “and I’ll sail for Cadiz and fetch you âx80x9csuch a Spanish treasure fleet as will make England rich again.”
于是我照做了。
So I did.
我向已经不堪重负的人♥民♥征税。
I taxed my already overburdened people.
他拿到了5万英镑。
Got him his 50,000 pounds.
我的西班牙宝藏舰队在哪里?
Now, where is my Spanish treasure fleet?
看!
Look!
他不能回答。他不敢回答。
He can’t answer. He daren’t answer.
如果陛下允许我告诉您。
If Your Majesty will let me tell you.
接着说,告诉我。
Go on, then, tell me.
不幸的是,在我的计划实施之前,是你自己把舰队从加的斯召回来的。
Unfortunately, it was you yourself who called the fleet back from Cadiz before my plans had been carried out.
不幸的是,载有1200万金币的西班牙宝藏舰队,被西班牙人亲手击沉,葬身于加的斯港。
Unfortunately, the Spanish treasure fleet, with 12 million ducats lies beneath the waters of Cadiz Harbor, sunk by the Spaniards themselves.
而埃塞克斯,不顾霍华德和罗利的建议,通过攻城而扬名立万。
While Essex, against the advice of Howard and Raleigh gathered fame for himself by storming the town.
为了表示敬意,没有别的办法了,夫人。
There was naught else to be done in honor, madam.
这是为了英格兰的荣耀。
It was for the glory of England.
为了埃塞克斯的荣耀!
For the glory of Essex!
这样能把食物送到我饥饿的人♥民♥的嘴里吗?
Will that put food into the mouths of my starving people?
他们能靠你英雄额头上的桂冠生存吗?
Can they subsist upon laurel wreaths from your heroic brow?
你觉得他们对我在加的斯的所作所为不满意吗,女士?听它。
You think they’re displeased with what I did at Cadiz, madam? Listen to it.
显然,英国人♥民♥比他们的女王更高兴,夫人。
Obviously, the English people are more readily pleased than their queen, madam.
他们今天喊着你的名字,但明天当我必须再次向他们征税来偿还士兵和舰队时,他们会说什么呢?
They cry your name today, but what will they say tomorrow when I must tax them again to pay off the soldiers and the fleet?
1200枚西班牙军械被击沉在我空洞的胜利中,这一点意义都没有吗?
Does it mean nothing that 1200 pieces of Spanish ordnance were sunk in my hollow victory?
西班牙舰队被彻底摧毁了?
And the Spanish fleet totally destroyed?
感谢霍华德大人和沃尔特·罗利爵士。
Thanks to my lord Howard and to Sir Walter Raleigh.
我当兵,你好像没有酬谢我,夫人。
It seems you’ve no reward for me as a soldier, madam.
士兵可以忍♥受。
That the soldier can endure.
但他希望得到的是另一种接待。
But the man had hoped for a different kind of reception.
也许你是好意……但我的报酬是无私的努力,而不是半途而废或做得不好。
You meant well, perhaps… but my rewards are for unselfish effort, not for things half or meanly done.
沃尔特·罗利爵士。
Sir Walter Raleigh.
从今天起,你将成为我们卫队的指挥官。
From today, you take rank as commander of our guard.
霍华德大人。
My Lord Howard.
陛下。
Your Majesty.
为了感谢你在加的斯所做的一切不顾个人利益只顾国家荣誉我任命你为英格兰的陆军中尉,总指挥,
In grateful return for what you tried to do at Cadiz without thought of self and only for your country’s honor I appoint you Lord Lieutenant, General of all England,
我的军队和舰队的指挥官,册封你为诺丁汉伯爵。
commander of my army and my fleet, and name you Earl of Nottingham.
陛下。
Your Majesty.
-为什么不可能?-保持沉默。
– Why that’s impossible. – Keep silent.
我不会保持沉默。
I will not be silent.
你想让这位诺丁汉伯爵在庭上比我更重要吗?
Do you intend that this Earl of Nottingham take precedence in court over me?
他在法庭上的地位会比你高就像他在加的斯的智慧一样。
He’ll take precedence in court over you as he did in wisdom at Cadiz.
你是统治者,滥用权力,埃塞克斯第一,英格兰第二。
You were in command and abused it, with Essex first, and England second.
随你怎么想,但我还是觉得你把霍华德摆在我面前是不公平的。
Think that if you will, but I still consider it an injustice that you place Howard before me.
-我觉得你没有权利。-我有…我没有权利?
– I feel you have no right. – I have… I have no right?
作为女王,是的,但作为女人,我对你来说什么都不是吗?
As a queen, yes, but as a woman, do I mean nothing to you?
什么都没有。
Nothing.
艾塞克斯勋爵!
Lord Essex!
你敢背叛英格兰的伊丽莎白吗?
Do you dare turn your back on Elizabeth of England?
你敢吗?
You dare?
我不会从国王,也就是你父亲那里夺走这个。
I would not have taken that from the king, your father.
我更不会接受一个穿衬裙的国王。
Much less will I accept it from a king in petticoats.
如果快递员来了,马上叫他来见我。
If the courier comes, send him to me at once.
你可以走了。
You may go.
我说,仅此而已。
I said, that’s all.
好吗?
Well?
恕我直言,还有一件事。
With Your Grace’s indulgence there’s another matter.
嗯,是什么?是关于什么的?
Well, what is it? What’s it about?
埃塞克斯。
Essex.
我不是禁止他的名字在宫廷里被提起吗?
Did I not forbid his name to be spoken at court?
但是,陛下,托马斯·埃格顿爵士收到了他从万斯特德庄园寄来的信。
But, Your Majesty, Sir Thomas Egerton received a letter from him from his manor at Wanstead.
哈哈!我知道他会这么做的,塞西尔。
Ha-ha! I knew he’d come to it, Cecil.
当然是求埃格顿为他说情。
Begging Egerton to intercede for him, of course.
也许我有点太苛刻了。
Well, perhaps I was a little harsh.
信上说了些什么?
What did the letter say?
他什么时候回家?-我带着呢。
– When is he coming home? – I have it here.
让我看看。
Let me see.
他说:“我对女王陛下负有忠诚的义务,我永远不能,也永远不会失职。”
He says, “I owe to Her Majesty a duty of allegiance in which I never can, never will fail.”
可怜的亲爱的。他当然很抱歉。
Poor darling. Of course he’s sorry.
但也许有点担心。
But a little apprehensive perhaps.
继续。继续。
Go on. Go on.
â“但我并不欠她侍候的义务。
âx80x9cBut I do not owe her the duty of attendance upon her.
â ‘ ‘如果我有这个责任,â ‘ ‘ ‘女王陛下的行为已经取消了它。
âx80x9cAnd had I that duty, âx80x9cHer Majesty’s conduct has canceled it.
â“至于请求她的原谅,我为什么要为受到侮辱而请求原谅呢?”
âx80x9cAs for asking her pardon, why should I ask pardon for receiving an insult?”
停止它!
Stop it!
不。
No.
不,继续。我来听听。
No, go on. I’ll hear it.
â ‘ ‘当最卑鄙的侮辱对我做â ‘ ‘ ‘甚至没有宗教强迫我起诉。
âx80x9cWhen the vilest of indignities is done to me âx80x9cnot even religion enforces me to sue.
â“我收到的是错误的。
âx80x9cI have received the wrong.
让她请求我的原谅吧。”
Let her seek pardon of me.”
â ‘ ‘如果她拒绝,她所有的力量都不能显示â ‘ ‘ ‘压♥迫♥我的力量比我所能召唤的抵抗it.â ‘ ‘ ‘
âx80x9cAnd if she refuses, all her power can show âx80x9cno more strength in oppressing me than I can summon to resist it.âx80x9d
塞西尔,这太不可容忍♥了!
Cecil, this is intolerable!
你确定这是埃塞克斯写的?
Are you sure Essex wrote this?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!