魔术师的大象
速度、精神
Speed, spirit,
还有一条超大的鱼 是英雄的三大♥法♥宝!
and a really large fish, the three tools of a hero!
等一下,这完全不合…
Hang on. That doesn’t make any…
速度、精神和超大的…?
Speed, spirit and a very large…?
我太急了
I’m getting ahead of myself.
如果我要讲这个故事…
If I’m gonna tell this story…
就得从头讲起
I’ve got to catch you up on everything.
曾经有个叫巴尔提斯的小镇
So, there was this town once, Baltese.
你真该看看这小镇
Oh, you should have seen it.
我猜你看到了,很好
Which I guess you are now, so, good.
你在这裡会觉得一切都是有可能
The sort of place where everything felt possible
甚至是魔幻的
or even magical,
譬如这位让喷泉狂转的女士
like that lady making the fountain go nuts.
看!
Check this out!
或是像这些孩子熟练地施魔法…
Or these kids, doing some sophisticated, magical…
真不像话!
Inappropriate!
总之时代变了,这是千古不变的
Anyway, times changed, like times do.
我告诉你,这不是好事
And let me tell you, it wasn’t good.
外国大战发生了,战争之后
There was the Great Foreign War, and after that,
巴尔提斯居民什麽都不相信了
people in Baltese just stopped believing.
他们觉得一切都是不可能 都不是魔幻的
Nothing felt possible or magical,
然后乌云掩至
and then the clouds rolled in.
那些奇特的云永远连成一片 纹丝不动,也从不下雪
Strange clouds that never break or budge or snow.
小镇被困住了,但事情即将逆转
The town’s been stuck, but things are about to get unstuck.
I mean, otherwise, why would I tell this story? That’d be pretty boring.
不然我为什麽要讲这个故事? 那样会很无聊耶
彼得是个由老兵养大的孤儿
Peter is an orphan being raised by an old soldier.
这老兵很了解作战、艰苦和危险
The soldier knows about fighting and hardship and danger,
所以他训练男孩面对这种生活
so he’s training the boy for that kind of life.
但男孩知道生活一定不只这些
But the boy knows there must be more.
彼得,其他孩子都有家人
Peter, other children have families,
但你身为孤儿有一个少有的优势
but as orphan, you have a rare privilege.
你可以献身于军旅生活
You can devote yourself to soldier’s life.
立正
Attention.
这是今天的硬币
Here is coin for today.
你马上去买♥♥鱼和麵包
Get our fish and bread now
然后开始步操
before you begin your marching.
放越久的麵包越好 会令你的牙齿变…强壮
Older bread the better, bread to make your teeth… strong,
而小鱼令你习惯飢饿
and small fish so you are accustomed to hunger.
因为我们是?我们是军人,长官
For what are we? -We’re soldiers, sir.
-这是什麽? -世界
And what is this? -The world.
世界是怎麽样?
And what is the world?
艰难
Hard.
早安,泰勒太太早安,彼得
Good morning, Mrs. Taylor. -Good morning, Peter.
女士,妳今晚要去看歌♥剧吗?
Are you going to the opera tonight, madam?
当然了,这是我在镇上唯一的喜好
Certainly. The only thing I enjoy in this town.
早安
Good morning.
彼得,我留了一条美味的鱼给你
Ah, Peter, I saved you a beautiful piece today
你肯定想卖♥♥
that you can’t refuse.
拜託,你知道维尔纳的作风
Come on, you know Vilna.
我知道
I know. I know.
放很久的麵包和小鱼
Old bread and small fish.
小心!
Careful!
不好了!
No!
嘿,彼得 这条最让人倒胃口的鱼给你
Hey, Peter. Here’s the most disappointing fish for you.
不!
Oh no, no, no, no!
小心看路
Mind yourself.
什麽?
What?
“人类心灵或脑袋
“The most profound and difficult questions
能想出的最深奥、最困难的问题
that could possibly be posed by the human heart or mind
付一枚硬币,就可知道答桉”
will be answered for the price of one coin.”
一枚硬币
One coin.
我必须知道答桉
I have to know.
厉害
Whoa.
你两手空空回去 监护人维尔纳鲁兹会很生气
Your Guardian Vilna Lutz will be angry if you return without dinner.
妳是从哪裡来的?
Where’d you come from? How do you know that?
妳怎麽会知道?
但你得问问自己
But you must ask yourself,
一天不吃东西 还是一辈子不知道答桉?
one day without food or the rest of your life without knowing?
她还活着
She lives.
什麽?
What?
-妳怎麽…? -一枚硬币,一个问题
How do you–? -One coin, one question.
小心发问
Careful.
我的家人在我三岁时死于战争 有一场仗…
Well, my family died in the war when I was three years old. There was a battle–
有一场仗
There was a battle.
维尔纳鲁兹救了你,把你养育成军人
Vilna Lutz rescued you, and he’s raising you to be a soldier.
-什麽? -我知道
What? -I know.
我父亲过世时,我母亲…
When my father died, my mother–
她怀孕了,这我也知道
She was expecting a child. I also know.
鲁兹中士告诉我,她生孩子时
Sergeant Lutz told me that during the birth,
她和宝宝都死了,不过…
both she and the baby died, but–
不过你记得?
But you remember?
我抱着她,我是知道的
I held her. I know I did.
你的妹妹?
Your sister?
我妹妹
My sister.
她很小,她是…
She was so small and she was–
活着,对
Alive. Yes.
-维尔纳鲁兹怎麽告诉我… -不
Why did Vilna Lutz tell me–? -No.
你只可以问一个问题,小心想清楚
You will only get one question, so be careful.
我会见到她…?
Will I ever see her–?
停!停一停,想一下
Stop! Stop and think for a moment.
想想怎样问才对,彼得
Think of the right question, Peter.
我要怎麽找到她?
How do I find her?
很好,非常好
Yes, good. Very good.
答桉是…
And the answer is…
跟着大象
follow the elephant.
-妳在耍我 -你得到答桉了
You’re having fun with me. -You have your answer.
跟着大象? 我把我们今天买♥♥食物的硬币给了妳耶
“Follow the elephant?” I gave you our one coin for today.
是你选的,你问了一个问题
You made a choice. You asked a question.
妳骗了我
And you cheated me.
跟着大象,你就会找到她
Follow the elephant and you’ll find her.
但这裡根本没有大象!
But there aren’t any elephants here!
你说得没错
Just as you say.
算命师害我们今天没有晚餐吃?
We have no dinner tonight because of Fortune Teller?
是,长官 但她很了解我,也很了解你!我…
Yes, sir, but she knew so much about me! About you! I–
她麽会了解我?连我都不了解我自己
How could she know about me? I do not even know about me.
她说我妹妹还活着
She said that my sister lives
叫我跟着大象
and to follow an elephant.
大象?你妹妹?
An elephant? Your sister?
我知道,长官 你多年来一直告诉我,我妹妹…
I know, sir. You’ve told me all these years that my sister–
又来了
Not again with this.
你可怜的母亲,你的妹妹
Your poor mother, your sister.
她们都死了
Both of them died.
我救了你,我已经尽力了!
I saved you, which was all that I could do!
但我…
But I…
最高的架子
Top shelf.
厨房♥橱柜
Kitchen cabinet.
(《童话故事》)
A storybook? Who is Romain De Smedt–?
故事书?谁是罗曼德史密?
给我!罗曼德史密把我逼疯了
Gimme, gimme, gimme! Romain De Smedt drive me crazy.
跟我一起服役的年轻军人,是乖孩子
Young soldier I served with, good boy.
但他晚上看这本书,让他想起家
But he read this book at night which remind him of home,
想起妈妈和慰藉
of mother, of comfort.
我得把他治好
I had to cure him of all of this.
所以我偷了德史密的书
So I stole De Smedt’s book.
什麽?
What?
我成功了
And it worked.
他失去了这本书后 变成了最令人害怕的军人
Without this book, he turned into the most fearsome soldier in army.
你干嘛告诉我这些?
Why are you telling me this?
有慰藉的地方就有无邪之心
Where there is comfort, there is innocence.
有无邪之心的地方
Where there is innocence,
就永远没有军人