但是 我敢保证爱丽儿对美国人的看法也是如此
But then, I’m sure she thought my people were strange too.
我的第一次是在逾越节上
So I lost my virginity on Passover.
-逾越节 -是的 你知道那是什么节日吗
– Passover? – Yeah. Do you know what that is?
我不知道 不 那是什么意思
I don’t know what you.. No, what does that mean?
-这是一个犹太节日 -是吗
– It’s a Jewish holiday. – Yeah?
节日当天要吃无酵干饼 就是还没有发酵的面包
Where you eat matzah, which is unleavened bread.
-真奇怪哦 -没错
– Strange. – Yeah.
-感觉怎么样 -你是说无酵干饼吗
– How was it? – Yeah. You mean the matzah?
-还是说我的初夜 -当然是无酵干饼了
– Or my…the loss of my virginity? – The matzah, of course.
-无酵干饼 -嗯 很好吃
– The matzah. – Yeah. Now the matzah was great.
这些年来 无酵干饼都没什么变化
It, matzah doesn’t really change over the years.
有时候我们一起的两个小时
Sometimes our two-hour interludes
波澜不惊
were calm and prosaic.
-噢 糟糕 -怎么了
-Oh, no. – What?
-我有个坏消息 -什么
– I have some troubling news. – What?
我觉得我们遥控的那艘船不是我们的
I don’t think the boat we’re controlling is our boat.
-你在 -什么
– Are you… – What?
-你在开玩笑吗 -不
– Are you kidding me? – No.
-那我们的船在哪儿啊 -我不知道
– Where is our boat? – I have no idea.
有时这两个小时就没那么风平浪静了
Sometimes they were not so calm.
嗯 嗯
Mmm, mmm.
布莱恩
Brian.

Yes?
来吧 上车
Please join me.
请上车 拿着吃的也没关系
By all means, bring your food.

Mm-hmm.
你好 我是爱丽儿的丈夫瓦莱里
Hello, I’m Arielle’s husband, Valery.
-幸会 -幸会
– Enchante. – Enchante.
抱歉 热狗可能有些粘腻
Please forgive any hot dog related moisture.
也请你原谅我这么冒昧地就来找你
Only if you will forgive my intrusion.
我 我觉得我们该见上一面
I…I thought we should meet.
爱丽儿对你的评价很高
Arielle speaks very highly of you.
真的吗
She does?
在你面前吗
To you?

Mm-hmm.
她说你是个很好的人
She says you’re a very fine person.
有趣 散发着天然的魅力
Funny, naturally charming
真诚 极为聪明 又十分善良
sincere, extremely bright, kind.
她觉得你是个才子
She suspects you’re very talented.
多谢
Thank you.
我很高兴她遇见了你 布莱恩
I’m very happy that she has met you, Brian.
在认识你之后的这短短时间里
For the little time since she has known you
我在她眼中看见了之前从未见过的光芒
I have seen a light in her eyes that I had never seen before.
对此我真的十分开心 我想要谢谢你
And I’m so very glad of it. I wish to thank you.
不客气
You’re welcome.
我想邀请你这周六晚上
I would be pleased if you cared to join us at our home
来我们家共进晚餐
this coming Saturday for supper.
真的吗
Really?

Yes.
这是一种绅士的策略吗
Is there any chance that this is a gentlemanly ploy
只是为了分散我的注意力
designed to relax me
然后你的司机就会转身
before your driver turns around
用鸢尾花形的纹章来刺我
and impales me with a fleur-de-lis?
不是的
None.
那么 好吧
Well, then…
感谢您的邀请
I thank you for the invitation
我很乐意赴约
and I look forward to attending.
很好
Good.
东77街173号♥
173 East 77th.
7点半行吗
7: 30?
他是怎么发现的 是信♥用♥卡♥账单还是其他什么露馅了吗
How did he find out? Was it a credit card bill or something?
-是我告诉他的 -什么
– I told him. – I beg your pardon?
-我很开心地告诉了他 -你主动告诉他的吗
– With great joy. – You just volunteered it?
当然啦
Of course.
因为他是我丈夫呀
Because he’s my husband.
啊 那你知道邀请我吃饭的事吗
Uh-huh. And did you know about this invitation?
不 不过我一点都不惊讶
No. I’m not surprised though.
瓦莱里就喜欢做这种贴心的事
Valery does lovely things like this.
这怎么贴心了啊
How is this a lovely thing?
对我来说 这是件非常非常尴尬的事情
To me, this is a wildly, wildly awkward thing.
我不知道他想干嘛
I don’t know what he has in mind.
你必须明白 这是你和他之间的事情
You must understand, this is between you and him.
现在你们之间已经建立了关系
You have your own relationship now.
如果你想的话
If you want it.
顺道一提 我十分推崇你这么做
I highly recommend it to you, by the way.
你会慢慢地珍惜和他之间的友谊的
You will come to treasure his friendship.
他就是那种人
He’s that sort of person.
这周六晚上一定会让你感到贴心和妙不可言
And somehow Saturday night will be thoughtful and wonderful.
你到时就知道了
You’ll see.
你还是没懂 对吗
You don’t understand things yet, do you?
额 是啊
Uh, no.
我感到内疚
I feel guilty.
如果连他都为我们感到高兴 你又为什么要内疚呢
Why would you feel guilty if he’s happy for us?
因为我还理解不了这些事情
Because I don’t understand things yet.
布莱恩 抛开你对人们的传统看法
Put aside your notions about how people are, Brian.
如果你以开放的心态看待这个世界 它的美好会让你大吃一惊的
The world will surprise you with its grace if you let it.
为我宽衣吧
Unclasp me?
布莱恩·布洛姆 我是被邀请的
Brian Bloom. I believe I’m expected.
这么说可不好
What? Don’t say that.
布莱恩·布洛姆 受邀前来
Brian Bloom. Invited guest.
不 不 这太傻了
No, no, that’s silly.
嗨 额 布莱恩·布洛姆 来报到吃晚餐的
Hi. Uh, Brian Bloom reporting for dinner.
-请进 -谢谢
– Please come in. – Thanks.
噢 你好
Oh. Hello.
晚上好 让我来帮你拿外套吧
Good evening. May I take your coat?
额 好啊
Uh, sure.
谢谢你
Thank you.
这边乘电梯
Right this way for the elevator.
还有电梯啊
Elevator?
晚上好 欢迎来到我家
Good evening, and welcome to our home.
谢谢
Thank you.
布莱恩 进来 进来
Brian. Come in. Come in.
很高兴你能来
Glad you’re here.
-你的孩子们太不可思议了 -哈哈 谢谢
– Your children are amazing. – Ha ha, thank you.
他们平常就是这样 还是这是专门排练过的
Are they real or are they from a catalogue?
额 这是有事先排练过的
Uh, they are from a catalogue.
来吧 我介绍一些人给你认识
Come and meet some people.
大家好 这是我们亲爱的朋友 布莱恩·布洛姆
Everyone, this is our dear friend, Brian Bloom
他是最有才华的青年作家之一
who also happens to be one of the most talented young writers.
布莱恩 你认识指挥大♥师♥阿伦·基尔伯特吗
Brian, do you know Maestro Alan Gilbert?
-幸会 -很高兴见到你 大♥师♥
– Pleasure. – It’s a great pleasure, maestro.
这是朱利安·邦德先生[美国民权运动领袖之一]
Mr. Julian Bond.
-十分荣幸 先生 -很高兴见到你
– True honor, sir. – Delighted.
-这是丹尼尔·布鲁[全球饮食界传奇人物] -见到你很高兴
– And Mr. Daniel Boulud. – A pleasure.
我希望有朝一日能有足够的钱
I look forward to one day being able to afford
在您的一家餐厅里吃上一顿
to eat in one of your restaurants, sir.
瞎说 瞎说 等一下我给你张我的名片
Nonsense. Nonsense. I’ll give you my card later.
我会让卡里姆好好招待你的
And I’ll tell Kareem to take very good care of you.
这是我们的朋友 简·黑斯汀斯
And this is our friend, Jane Hastings.
-你好 -很高兴见到你
– How do you do? – Nice to meet you.
现在简是FSG出版社的一名编辑
Now, Jane is an editor at Farrar, Strauss and Giroux
也许你们以后会有很多机会
and perhaps this is the first of many handshakes
合作
between you two.
啊 你在这儿呢
Ah, you’re here.
女士们先生们 我最爱的一句话
Ladies and gentlemen, three of my favorite words.
晚餐准备好了
Dinner is served.
请往这边来
This way, please.
大♥师♥ 你尽管不朽 却并非上帝 而是凡人
You, maestro, though immortal are not a God but a man.
我们都知道上帝很仁慈 他令人喜悦
We know God can be kind. He can be joyful.
不过我们也知道 有时他很令人讨厌
But we also know He can be annoying.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!