记者马丁艾默对机员们谈话
Our reporter Martin Amer speaks to the crew.
发现者一号♥的机员包括五个人
The crew of Discovery One consists of five men…
和一套最新的H.A.L 9000型电脑系统
…and one of the latest generation of the HAL 9000 computers.
五人中有三人 是在太空船上睡觉
Three of the men were put aboard asleep…
说得更精确些 是保持在冬眠的状态
…or to be more precise, in a state of hibernation:
他们就是查理亨特博士 杰克金波博士
Dr. Charles Hunter, Dr. Jack Kimball
以及维克多克明斯博士
and Dr. Victor Kaminsky.
下面就是我们和 任务指挥官大卫鲍曼博士
We spoke with mission commander, Dr. David Bowman…
和副指挥官 富兰克普理博士的谈话
…and his deputy, Dr. Frank Poole.
二位午安 一切都好吗
Good afternoon, gentlemen. How is everything going?
太神奇了
Marvelous.
我们毫无怨尤
We have no complaints.
很高兴听到这句话 我想全世界的人
I’m glad to hear that. I’m sure the entire world…
都和我一样祝福你们 有个平安成功的航行
…joins me in wishing you a safe, successful voyage.
-非常感谢 -谢谢你们
-Thanks very much. -Thank you.
虽然冬眠 在过去太空任务中曾使用过
Although hibernation has been used on previous space efforts…
但这是第一次在出发前
…this is the first time
将人员置于冬眠状态
men were put into hibernation before departure.
为什么要这么做呢
Why was this done?
这样做的目的 在使我们的生命支持能力
This was done to achieve the maximum conservation…
基本的食物与空气 得到最大量的保存
…of our life-support capabilities, basically food and air.
现在冬眠的机员代表测量组
The three hibernating crew members represent the survey team.
他们的专长要等到我们 快接近木星时才会用到
Their efforts won’t be utilized until we approach Jupiter.
普里博士 冬眠时究竟像什么样子
Dr. Poole, what’s it like while you’re in hibernation?
完全像睡着般没有知觉
It’s exactly like being asleep. You have no sense of time.
唯一不同的是不会做梦
The only difference is that you don’t dream.
据我所知 你一分钟呼吸一次 真的吗
As I understand it, you only breathe once a minute. Is this true?
那是真的 心跳一分钟三次
Right, and the heart beats three times a minute.
体温降至约摄氏三度
Body temperature is usually down to about three degrees centigrade.
发现者的第六位机员 并不担心冬眠的问题
The sixth member of the crew was not concerned…
发现者的第六位机员 并不担心冬眠的问题
…about the problems of hibernation…
因为他是科技智慧最新结晶
…for he was the latest result in machine intelligence:
HAL系统 9000型电脑 它能够复♥制♥…
The HAL 9000 computer, which can reproduce…
虽然有些专家 仍喜欢使用模拟一辞
…though some experts prefer to use the word “mimic”…
…大部份人脑的活动
…most of the activities of the human brain…
并具有无法计算的 较大速度与可靠性
…and with incalculably greater speed and reliability.
下面我们将与这部电脑谈话
We next spoke with the HAL 9000 computer…
我们知道他有个名字叫赫尔
…whom, we learned, one addresses as “Hal. ”
午安 赫尔 一切都好吗
Hello, Hal. How’s everything going?
午安 艾默先生 一切都非常顺利
Good afternoon, Mr. Amer. Everything is going extremely well.
赫尔 在这次任务中 你有一大堆的责任
Hal, you have an enormous responsibility on this mission…
每个任务责任都很重要
…perhaps the greatest of any single mission element.
你是这艘太空船的首脑和中♥央♥神经系统
You’re the brain and nervous system of the ship.
你的责任包括监视人们冬眠
Your responsibilities include watching over the men in hibernation.
对这样的任务 你是否会缺乏信心
Does this ever cause you any lack of confidence?
艾默先生 让我这样说
Let me put it this way, Mr. Amer.
这套9000型系统的电脑是目前最可靠的电脑
The 9000 Series is the most reliable computer ever made.
9000型系统的电脑
No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake
从来没有出现过错误 或是不实的资料
or distorted information.
我们使用实用的定义 极为简单绝不可能产生错误
We are all, by any practical definition of the words…
我们使用实用的定义 极为简单绝不可能产生错误
…foolproof and incapable of error.
赫尔 不管你智慧多高 仍得依靠人们执行
Hal, despite your enormous intellect, are you ever frustrated…
你是否因此会产生挫折感
…by your dependence on people to carry out actions?
一点都不会
Not in the slightest bit.
我很高兴和人们一起工作
I enjoy working with people.
我和普里博士 鲍曼博士 有着非常良好的关系
I have a stimulating relationship with Dr. Poole and Dr. Bowman.
我的任务范围
My mission responsibilities
包括整个太空船的作业
range over the entire operation of the ship…
所以我非常忙碌
…so I am constantly occupied.
我把自己使用到最大程度
I am putting myself to the fullest possible use…
我想那是任何有责任感的人
…which is all, I think,
所希望做到的
that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
普里博士 一年中大部份时间 都和赫尔一起生活
Dr. Poole, what’s it like living for most of the year…
感觉如何
…in such close proximity with Hal?
是的 我和他非常的接近
It’s like what you said earlier.
他正像是第六位机员
He’s like a sixth member of the crew.
由于他会说话
You quickly get adjusted to the idea that he talks,
你会很快的调整你的观念
and think of him…
当你对电脑讲话时 会认为他真是另一个人
…really just as another person.
你会有一种感觉 那就是 他能够作情绪上的反应
In talking to the computer, one gets the sense that he’s capable…
你会有一种感觉 那就是 他能够作情绪上的反应
…of emotional responses.
例如 当我问到他的能力时
When I asked him about his abilities…
我可以感受到他非常自负 自己精确完整的能力
…I sensed pride in his answer about his accuracy and perfection.
你相信赫尔真有感情吗
Do you believe that Hal has genuine emotions?
是的 他表现得很有情感
Well, he acts like he has genuine emotions.
当然 他就是这样设计 使我们更容易对他说话
He’s programmed that way to make it easier for us to talk to him.
至于他是否真有情感
As to whether or not he has feelings…
我想是没有人可以回答的
…is something I don’t think anyone can truthfully answer.
对不起 富兰克
Excuse me, Frank.
什么事赫尔
What is it, Hal?
我刚接到你父母的电讯
We’ve got the transmission from your parents coming in.
好的
Fine.
请接过来 把我移过去一点 好吗
Put it on here, please. Take me in a bit.
当然可以
Certainly.
哈罗 富兰克 亲爱的 祝你生日快乐
Happy birthday, darling!
祝你生日快乐 万事如意
Happy birthday. Many happy returns.
请稍为高一点
A bit higher, Hal.
我和你妈妈都感觉很好
Mother and I are both feeling wonderful.
瑞和莎莉本来也要来此
Ray and Sally were going to be here…
但是瑞的背痛又发作了
…but Ray’s back went bad on him again.
你喜欢这个生日蛋糕吗
How do you like your cake, dear?
看起来很不错 是不是
It’s great, doesn’t it?
可惜你不能与我们共享
Sorry you can’t join us.
对了 前几天碰到鲍伯
I ran into Bob the other day.
他要我代他祝你生日快乐
He said to wish you happy birthday.
我所有的学生也虔诚祝福你
All my students send their best wishes too.
你知道他们整天都在谈论你
They talk about you all the time.
你是二年级的大名人
You’re a big celebrity in the second grade.
你知道吗 上星期我们还上电视呢
We were on TV last week.
你母亲和我 还有大卫父母都接受访问
Your mom and I and Dave’s parents were asked…
问我们对于杰出儿子的感受
…what we thought of our illustrious son.
你可以想像得到
Imagine what we told them.
我们告诉他们什么吗我想可能在下星期四播出
It’s being broadcast next Thursday.
也许你可以收到
Perhaps you can listen in.
关于艾拉莲和比尔的消息 我们也感到激动 亲爱的
We’re thrilled about Elaine and Bill.
我很高兴买♥♥礼物送你 但请告诉我可以花多少钱
I’ll be glad to get the gift, but tell me how much to spend.
对了 富兰克 关于你的薪水
Oh, Frank, about your AGS- 19 payments…
我想我帮你处理好了
…I think I straightened it out.
昨天我和会计室的人谈过
I talked to the accounting office yesterday…
你下个月就可领到较高薪水
…and they said you’d be receiving your higher rates of pay by next month.
我想不出还有什么要说
I can’t think of anything else to say.
-代我们向大卫问好 -记得代我们向他致意
-Give our love to Dave. -Be sure to give him our best regards.
祝你有个最愉快的生日
We wish you the very happiest of birthdays.
生日快乐
All the best, son.
祝你生日快乐
Happy birthday to you.
祝你生日快乐
Happy birthday to you.
祝亲爱的富兰克生日快乐
Happy birthday, dear Frank
祝你生日快乐
Happy birthday to you.
下星期三再见
See you next Wednesday.
富兰克 生日快乐
Happy birthday, Frank.
谢谢你赫尔 请将椅子调低
Thank you, Hal. A bit flatter, please.
皇后吃卒
Anyway, queen takes pawn.
主教吃骑士的卒
Bishop takes knight’s pawn.
这步如何
Lousy move.
好 城♥堡♥进一步到国王
Rook to king one.
富兰克 抱歉我想你输了
I’m sorry, Frank. I think you missed it.
女王进三到主教 主教吃女王 骑士吃主教
Queen to bishop three. Bishop takes queen.
将军
Knight takes bishop. Mate.
看起来好像你对
Looks like you’re right. I resign.
谢谢你 这盘棋下得很愉快
Thank you for a very enjoyable game.