-你会拉小提琴吗 -会 先生
– You play the fiddle? – Yes , sir.
我会
Yes, I do.
威拉德·亚尼是在上游河口的种植园主
Willard Yarney, a planter up the bayou,
他三周后要举♥行♥周♥年♥庆♥典
celebrates his anniversary in a three week’s time.
我会把你的名字告诉他
I will hold out your name to him.
你赚的钱可以自己留着
What you earn is yours to keep.
是 先生
Yes, sir.
好好表现 普莱特
Mind yourself, Platt.
安妮
玛格丽特
阿隆佐
真是个好日子
Joyous day.
太开心了
Joyous day.
黑暗的日子已经过去了
Dark times is behind us.
清洁的生活 虔诚的祈祷 终于带走了虫害
Clean livin’ ‘n prayer done lifted the plague.
这批棉花像新英格兰的雪一样又白又厚
As thick ‘n white as New England snow.
现在我的黑奴又回来干活了
‘N now my niggers is returned to me.
听说特纳法官挺照顾你
Heard Judge Turner gave you favor.
你是不是蛊惑他了 普莱特
Oh, did you beguile him, Platt,
使了你油滑的黑鬼手段了吧
with your slick nigger ways?
你不会再游手好闲了 小子
Well, yah won’t stand idle, boy.
在我的地里不行
Not on my land.
要干的活多着呢
Much work to do.
从前的老日子回来了
Days of old long since, eh?
开心 实在是开心
Joyous! Joyous indeed!
去给你找点甜食吃吧
Let’s go find something sweet for you. Hmm?
-糖 -吃糖吗
– Candy. – Candy?
-乔治 -180磅
– George? – One hundred and eighty pounds.
-帕茨 -帕茨 520磅
– Patsey? – Five hundred twenty pounds for Patsey.
真是好姑娘 从不让我失望
Tha’s my girl. Don’t never let me down.
-普莱特呢 -160磅
– Platt? – One hundred sixty pounds.
安斯比
Armsby?
6♥4♥磅
Sixty four pounds.
好的劳力平均一天摘200磅
A good days labor would average two hundred pounds.
是 先生
Yes, sir.
我相信你过段时间会变成摘棉花好手的
I’m sure in time y’ll develope as a picker,
但是需要努力 孩子
but it takes effort, boy.
-给我努力点 -是 先生
– Put some damn effort into it. – Yes, sir.
带他们出去 准备鞭刑
Take ’em out. Get to whippin’.
真是悲剧
It’s a tragedy.
怎么会发生这种事情
How does such come to pass?
在田里工作 像个贱民一样摘棉花
Working a field and picking cotton like a lowly hand.
我盯上的是更好的职位
I’m of a damn sight better station.
要知道我原来当过监工
I’ve worked as an overseer, you know.
-我不知道 先生 -不是什么先生
– I did not know, sir. – Not “Sir.”
就叫安斯比
Just Armsby.
跟地里其他人都一样
Not owed more than any other in the field.
你怎么落到这步田地的 如果不介意我问的话
How did you arrive at such a place, if I may ask?
问吧 聊天而已
Ask. It’s just conversation.
我之前太沉迷于威士忌
I became a little too dependant on the whisky,
工作上太不靠谱
a little too undependable on the job.
在你说我只是个没用的醉鬼之前
Before you say I’m just a sorry drunkard,
我先澄清一下自己的情况
let me state my case:
监工虽是个可靠的职业
As reliable employment as overseeing is,
从精神层面讲 可不轻松
it’s no easy chore on the spirit.
我觉得一个神志清醒的人
I say no man of conscious;
不可能一天到晚不停抽打别人
can take the lash to another human day in and day out
却不会丢失自我
without shredding at his own self.
这种工作会让他
Takes him to a place…
要么找借口让自己的精神不受影响
where he either makes excuses within his mind to be unaffected…
要么设法无视自己的罪恶感
or finds some way to trample his guilty sensations.
我选择无视
Well, I trampled,
而且很频繁
with frequency.
我相信一夜暴富的奇迹是有的
I gave in to tales of wealth and prosperity,
但丰厚的利润
but such profitable outcomes
只属于种植园主
are reserved for the plantation masters.
我们剩下的这帮人 只有干活的份
It’s the lot of the rest of us to serve.
现在我只想挣一笔像样的工资
Now, all I want is to earn a decent wage
好成家立业
and get myself home.
这是我小提琴演奏的收入
The proceeds of my fiddling performances.
只有几枚小钱
Just a few picayunes,
却是我的全部家当
but all I have in the world.
如果你能帮我个忙 我就全都给你
I promise them to you if you will do me the favor I require.
但如果你做不到 也求你不要告发我
But I beg you not to expose me if you cannot grant the request.
什么
What…
-你想要什么 -请你先保证 先生
– What is it that you ask? – First, your word, sir.
以我的名誉起誓
On my honor.
这要求再简单不过
It is a simple enough request.
我只求你为我寄一封信
I only ask you to post a letter
寄到麦克斯韦的邮局
at the post office in Marksville
同时对整件事永远保密
and that you keep the action an inviolable secret forever.
先生 我要的就是一位保护人
A patron is what I require, sir.
我会帮你
I’ll do it.
任何报酬我都能接受
And I will accept whatever payment is offered.
为了帮你 我要以身试险
To assist you, I put my own self at risk.
只要报酬合理
I will do so,
我肯定会帮你的
but fair compensation is all I ask.
去写信吧
Draw up your letter.
我们两天后见 好吗
We will meet again. In two days?
就两天
In two days.
谢谢你
Thank you.
好啊 小子
Well, boy.
我听说我有个会识字的黑奴
I understand I’ve got a learned nigger
写了信…
that writes letters…
托白人朋友为他寄出去
and tries to get white fellows to mail ’em.
今天安斯比告诉我
Well, Armsby tol’ me today
我的黑奴中有魔鬼
the devil was among my niggers.
如果不严加看管
that I have one that needed watchin’
就会逃之夭夭
or he would run away.
我问他怎么回事
When I asked him why
他说你去找了他
he said you come over to him,
大半夜把他叫醒
and waked him up in the middle of the night,
要他替你送一封信
and wanted him to carry a letter
到麦克斯韦
to Marksville.
你有什么要说的吗
What yah got to say to that?
他在信口胡诌
There is no truth to it.
说下去
You say.
没有纸和墨水 我用什么写信
How could I write a letter without ink or paper?
我又能写给谁
Who am I going to write to?
据我所知 我的朋友都去世了
I got no friends living as I know of.
那个安斯比
That Armsby…
那个安斯比是个满嘴谎话的醉鬼
That Armsby is a lying drunken fellow.
他不是想让你雇他当监工吗
Didn’t he want you to hire him as an overseer?
就是因为这个
That’s it.
他就是要你以为我们都会逃跑
He wants to make you believe we’re all going to run away
这样你才会雇他
so you’ll hire him an overseer.
他觉得你好欺负
He believes you are soft soap,
才凭空捏造了
and he’s given to such talk,
这样的谎话
made this story out of whole cloth,
因为这样就对他有利了
because he wants the situation.
主人 他在骗你
It’s all a lie, master.
别相信他
It’s all a lie.
我差点被骗了
I’ll be damned.
他要不是个自♥由♥的白人 普莱特
Were he not free and white, Platt.
他要不是个自♥由♥的白人 就死定了
Were he not free and white.
爱德华 给他水
Edward? Give him water!
起来
Get up.
起来
Get up.
赶紧起来 黑鬼
Nigger, get up.
小子 你看什么看
What are you looking at, boy?
给我接着干活
Keep picking, boy.
我想为埃布拉姆叔叔

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!