难怪这么多女人对他动情
No wonder so many women are fond of him.
哈丽特
Harriet,
我们必须为苏菲做点什么
we must do what we can for Sophie.
这姑娘明显在自暴自弃
The girl is obviously intoxicated,
她只想毁了自己
and nothing less than ruin will content her.
我确信 苏菲就住在哪里
I’m absolutely certain Sophie was at Mrs. Fitzpatrick’s when I called.
米勒太太 我该怎么做
Dear Mrs. Miller, what am Ito do?
没有朋友 没有钱 没人引见
I’ve no friends, no money, no introduction.
我对伦敦一无所知
I know nothing of London.
你不必担心钱
You’re not to worry about the money, Mr. Jones.
你可以暂时住在这里
You can stay here for the moment.
你真好 米勒太太
You’re very kind, Mrs. Miller.
给你的 刚送到
For you, Tom. It’s just arrived.
我不知道是什么
I wonder what can it be.
是什么
What is it?
是张请帖
It’s an invitation to a masked ball.
来自仙女的礼物
The queen of the fairies sends you this.
别辜负她的好意
Treat her favors not amiss.
或许是苏菲表姐的
It’s Mrs. Fitzpatrick, perhaps, with news of my Sophie.
也可能是苏菲本人
Or Miss Sophie herself.
沃克霍花♥园♥ 一个交际会所
Vauxhall Gardens, where people come to see and to be seen.
这里人来人往 热闹非凡
In heaps they run.
有人在这收获不少 有人在此身败名裂
some to undo and some to be undone.
对我来说 这样没有一丝乐趣
It’s no fun for a man like me
装模作样 戴上假面具
to be dolled up in this damned flummery.
所有时髦新潮的人都来这
All folks of fashion are here.
苏菲也不会例外
Sophie will be no exception.
她在哪 我要逮捕她
Well, show her to me, and I’ll have her arrested.
逮捕
Arrested?
你认为一个有地位的女人会在文明社会被捕吗
Do you imagine a woman of stature can be arrested in a civilized nation?
在一个文明的社会 女士是受法律保护的
Hmm. A piteous civilized nation, indeed, where women are above the law.
可怜的文明社会
Civilized nation, my trunk.
让女人高高在上
Je vous mëprise de tout mon coeur.
我侄女在哪里
Now, where can my niece be?
如果你再和那婊♥子♥混在一起
If you engage any longer with that trollop,
我就告诉威斯顿小姐
I shall tell Miss Western.
苏菲在这 女士
Is Sophie here then, madam?
以我的名誉保证 她不在
Upon my honor, Miss Western is not here.
你是不是菲特帕萃克女士
Indeed, Mrs. Fitzpatrick, if you are she,
如果是 请承认
its a little cruel of you to divert yourself at my expense.
你在想什么 先生
And do you imagine, good sir,
我是个热心人
I have no better regard for my cousin
我只想让你们两个恢复旧好
than to assist her in carrying on an affair between you two…
这样可以让她不毁了自己
which must end in her ruin?
女士 这是我最后的心愿
Madam, that is the last thing I would wish.
如果仙女为苏菲和你考虑
If the queen of the fairies had so little regard for you and Sophie,
就不会让你们在这见面
she would not have appointed to meet you here.
老实说
Confess honestly.
汤姆 你是不是习惯于突如其来的征服
Are you used, Mr. Jones, to make these sudden conquests?
夫人 我习惯于服从
I am used, madam, to submit.
如果你突然征服了我的心
If you take my heart by surprise,
我身体的其他部分有权响应心的召唤
the rest of my body has the right to follow.
我不希望你追求我
I hope you won’t follow me.
如果你追求我 我会抗♥议♥
I protest I shall not know what to say if you do.
你要么是个玩偶 因为你没钱
You must be a pauper if you can’t find a chair.
或者是个小乞儿
Or a miser!
你认为你是菲特帕萃克女士
I thought you were Mrs. Fitzpatrick.
菲特帕萃克
Fitzpatrick.
先生 我不清楚你们乡下的礼节
Sir, I am unfamiliar with customs in the country,
但在城里 让一个女士等待是不礼貌的
but in town it is considered impolite to keep a lady waiting.
照例
With our usual good breeding.
我们会避开下面的对话情节
we will not follow this particilar conversation further,
但我们会看下第二天的情况
but attend results on the following day.
我们的主人公让帕拉女士春心荡漾
Our hero released from Lady Bellaston a torrent of affection.
就象开了闸的洪水
as well as a flood of gifts.
连他也有点不好意思 但他难以抵♥制♥
which he found suitably embarrassing and quite irresistible.
我必须好好打扮你 – 帕拉女士
We must have you looking your best. – Lady Bellaston, is all this…
这不也是威斯顿小姐想看到的
Isn’t that what Miss Western would want?
四点准时回来 我有事告诉你
Come back precisely at 4:00. I shall have news for you then.
把帐单寄给我
Send the bill to me, sir.
谢谢你 太太
Yes, my lady. Very good, my lady. Good day, my lady.
汤姆怎么知道苏菲现在和帕拉女士住在一起
How could Tom know that Sophie was now staying here with Lady Bellaston
并且被一个叫费拉玛的人追求
and, being besieged by a certain Lord Fellamar,
一个对任何美人都动心的人
a gentleman with an eye for any beauty.
特别是有钱的女人
especially when a fortune was attached?
我请你原谅我 什么时候再见你
I do beg you to excuse the play, but when may I see you again?
原谅我 先生
Forgive me, my lord.
我在伦敦呆多久还没定下来
I’m afraid my plans for remaining in London are still a little uncertain.
再见 先生
Good day, my lord.
女士
Oh, madam…
苏菲 – 汤姆
Sophie! – Tom!
苏菲 我看你有些惊讶
I see, Sophie, you’re sornewhat surprised.
你来干什么 – 找你
What are you doing here? – I came to look for you.
我在阿普顿发现了你的笔记本
I found your pocketbook at Upton
我来还给你
and came to ask if I might return it.
你还敢提那地方
How dare you mention that place to me.
苏菲 我求你原谅我
Oh, Sophie, let me ask your pardon.
原谅 你干的好事
My pardon? After what I heard at the inn?
我非常痛恨自己的行径
You cannot despise me more than I do myself.
我以为你在看戏
I thought, Miss Western, you were at the play.
那戏剧太野蛮了
The play caused so violent an uproar,
我吓坏了
I got frightened and came home,
在这遇上了这位先生
where I found this gentleman.
他找到了我丢的笔记本
He has apparently found the pocketbook
我跟你说过的那个
I told Your Ladyship I had lost
他想来还给我
and wishes to return it.
当我把它带来时 我唯一的请求
When I do bring it, all that I ask is that
就是有幸亲自交还她
I might have the honor of presenting it in person.
我想 你是个绅士
I presume, sir, you are a gentleman,
随时欢迎你来
and my doors are never shut to people of fashion.
谢谢 女士
Thank you, madam.
女士们
Ladies.
你的手杖
Your cane, sir.
哦
Oh.
英俊的后生
A handsome fellow.
我不记得以前见过他
I don’t remember ever to have seen his face before.
我也没有
Nor I neither, madam.
我怀疑 他会不会是琼斯先生
I suspected it was Mr. Jones himself.
你真的如此认为吗 – 是的
Did Your Ladyship, indeed? – Yes.
我不知道为什么
I can’t imagine what put the idea into my head,
我会这么认为
for to give this fellow his due,
他衣冠楚楚
he was very well dressed.
仪表非凡
I think, dear Sophie, that is not often the case with your friend.
我想你说过他很英俊
I thought Your Ladyship had said he was handsome.
为谁祈祷 – 琼斯先生
Whom, pray? – Mr. Jones.
我是指那个先生 他刚同我们在一起
I meant, of course, the gentleman that was with us just now.
哦 苏菲 苏菲
Oh, Sophie. Sophie.
这个琼斯先生 还在你脑子里
This Mr. Jones, I fear, still runs in your head.
我向你保证
I assure you, madam,
我不再喜欢他
Mr. Jones means no more to me
他对我不再是什么
than the gentleman who has just left us.
原谅我 开玩笑
Forgive me teasing you.
我保证
I promise…
我不再提他的名字
I’ll never mention his name again.
把这个给费拉姆先生
Take this to Lord Fellarnar
请他明天来
and beg him to attend to me tomorrow.
她是个乡下有钱佬的独女
She is the only daughter of a country booby squire.
看戏那天 她象明星一样光彩照人
At the playhouse, she blazed like a star.
第一次见她 我就死心塌地地爱上了她
The first moment I saw her, I loved her to distraction.
他父亲的财产 每年有3000镑利润
Her fathers estate is a good £3000 a year.