Did I ever tell you about the first time I left Georgia?
那是什么时候?
When was that?
几分钟前
A few minutes back!
继续
Go on!
我的女儿
My daughter…
她嫁给了一个火车搬运工
is married to a Pullman porter.
所以她去了很多地方
She is always on the go.
纽约 底特律 圣路易斯
New York, Detroit, Saint Louis…
我说 “这当然很好”
I say, “That’s all well and good, Tommie Lee…
但我不习惯这种生活
“but I don’t feel the need for it.”
所以到现在为止
So here it is.
这是第一次
The first time.
还有 夫人
I might tell you, Miss Daisy…
阿♥拉♥巴马看起来还是老样子
Alabama ain’t looking like much so far!
埃迪拉做的鸡蛋真不赖
Idella sure does stuff eggs good!
你自己也很会收手尾
You stuff yourself good.
我想起我第一次到 “摩拜”时候的事了
I was thinking about the first time I went to Mobile.
那是1888年去参加华特夫妇的婚礼
It was Walter’s wedding. 1888.
1888年 那时你还是一个小不点吧
1888! You were nothing but a little bitty thing.
那时我十二岁
I was 12.
我们是坐火车去
We went on the train.
当时真的很兴奋
Oh, I was so excited.
自己那时从没有参加过婚礼
I’d never been in a wedding party.
也从未看见过大海
And I’d never seen the ocean.
爸爸说那是墨西哥湾 不是大海
Papa said it was the Gulf of Mexico, not the ocean,
但对我来说都一样
but it was all the same to me.
我问爸爸能否让我把头泡到海里去
I asked Papa if it was all right for me to dip my hand in the water.
于是 他就笑我胆子太小
He laughed because I was so timid.
然后 我捧了一把海水放到嘴里
And then I tasted the salt water on my fingers.
说这些是不是有点犯傻了?
Isn’t that a silly thing to remember?
比别人的好听多了
No sillier than what most folks remember.
嘿 伙计
Boy!
是的
Yes, sir.
你在车旁边干嘛?
What are you doing with this car?
这是我的车 长官
This is my car, Officer.
我能看一下证件和驾照吗?
Can I see your registration, please, and your license, boy.
叫什么名字?威德兰吗?
What’s this name? Wertheran?
是威尔顿
Werthan.
以前从没听说过这个 是什么名字?
Never heard that one before. What kind of name is it?
这源自德语
It’s of German derivation.
源自德语
German derivation.
打扰了 夫人
Thank you, ma’am.
一个老黑鬼和一个老犹太女人同坐一车
An old nigger and an old Jew woman riding down the road together.
这真是难得一见
Now that is one sorry sight.
噢 天啊
Oh, my God!
那上面说 距菲尼克斯还有30英里
The sign says Phenix City 30 miles.
我们不是去菲尼克斯 天啊
We’re not supposed to go to Phenix City! Oh, my God!
或许是你看错了
Maybe you read it wrong.
没有 把车停下 快停下
I didn’t. Stop the car. Stop the car!
上帝保佑
Lord, have mercy.
看这儿 你在 “欧培里卡”拐错弯了
Here. You took the wrong turn at Opelika.
这可是你指的路 戴茜夫人
You took it with me, Miss Daisy,
地图可是在你手里
and you got the map.
我吃午餐而已 往回走 这回可好
I was getting the lunch! Go on back. My God!
我们拐弯已经走了三十多分钟的路了
It ain’t been more than 30 minutes since we turned.
这都得怪他们
They fixed crab for me.
老是给我添这些麻烦
Minnie always fixes crab. They go to so much trouble.
现在什么都一团糟了
It’s all ruined by now.
我们要在路边停车了
We going to have to pull over.
是车子出了什么问题吗?
What’s wrong with the car?
车子没出什么问题
There ain’t nothing wrong with the car.
我要下来一下
I got to be excused.
我要去方便一下
I got to go make water.
在加油站的时候 你就应该去的
You should have thought of that at the service station.
要知道 在加油站 黑人是不能用厕所的
You know colored can’t use the toilet at any service station, Miss Daisy.
没时间了 我们就快到了 你忍♥一下吧
There’s no time to stop. We’ll be in Mobile soon. You can wait.
不行了
No, ma’am.
我叫你忍♥一下的 – 这我听得见
I told you to wait! – I heard what you said.
你不觉得我这样问 “我可以去方便一下吗?”
How do you think I feel having to ask you, “Can I go make water?”
就像是个小孩一样吗?
Like I’m some child.
你该感到羞愧
You ought to be ashamed.
我可不是小孩 夫人
I ain’t no child, Miss Daisy.
我也不是你到哪儿 我就跟到哪儿的跟屁虫
And I ain’t just a back of the neck you look at while you go where you got to go.
我是个人 我也将近七十岁了
I’m a man, I’m near 70 years old,
知道自己什么时候该方便
and I know when my bladder’s full.
我现在就要下车
Now I’m going to get out of this car…
然后到那儿把问题解决了
and go over there and do what I got to do.
我也得把车钥匙拿走 只能是这样了
I’m taking the key with me, too. Now that’s all there is to it!
霍克
Hoke!
霍克
Hoke!
霍克 ?
Hoke?
你没事吧 夫人?
You all right, Miss Daisy?
当然
Of course I am.
是你吗 史力克?我是波利 你还好吗?
Is that you, Slick? It’s Boolie. How you doing?
替我向你父亲祝寿
Congratulations on your dad’s big day.
谢了 波利 戴茜姑姑
Thank you, Boolie. Thank you. Aunt Daisy!
是波利打来的电♥话♥
It’s Boolie on the phone.
你好
Hello!
嘿 儿子
Hey, Son!
华特叔叔 谢谢你打的电♥话♥
Uncle Walter appreciates your call.
我想他不能来听你的电♥话♥了
I don’t think he can come to the phone.
算了 霍克呢?
Fine. How’s Hoke?
你什么意思?他还能怎么样?
What do you mean? How should he be?
生日快乐 华特叔叔
Happy birthday, Uncle Walter.
我得挂电♥话♥了
I got to hang up now, Boolie.
好的 我会跟他说的
Yeah, I’ll tell him.
早啊 麦克莱蒂小姐
‘Morning, Miss McClatchey.
早上好
Well, good morning to you.
我能见他吗?
Can I see him?
这位是辛克莱尔·哈里斯先生
It’s Mr. Sinclair Harris, sir.
我的堂兄辛克莱尔?
My cousin Sinclair?
他的妻子 就是那位说话很风趣的
His wife… The one that talks funny.
她来自俄亥俄州
She’s from Canton, Ohio.
她要雇我
She’s trying to hire me.
什么?- 是的 她还问
What? – Yes, sir. She said:
“他们对你怎么样 霍克?”
“How they treating you down there, Hoke?”
你也知道她这话是什么意思
You know how she sounds, like her nose is stuffed up.
我就跟她说”好的 哈里斯夫人 谢谢你”
So I said, “Fine, Mrs. Harris, just fine, thank you.”
她说 “要是你想换一下环境的话
She said, “Well, you looking for a change,
你知道该找谁的”
you know who to call.”
真是该死
I’ll be damned!
我想应该让你知道这事
I thought you ought to know about it.
真是该死
I’ll be goddamned.
她很难伺候吗?
Ain’t she a mess?
她说 “你出个价吧”
Said, “Name your own salary.”
我明白了 那你怎么样?
I see. And did you?
什么怎么样?
Did I what?
你也要出个价吗?
Name your own salary?
得了 你想我是这种人吗?
Go away. What you think I am?
我才不会笨到去给她那种人打工呢
I ain’t studying about going to work for no trashy something like her.
但她让你考虑一下 对吧?
But she got you thinking, didn’t she?
是的 先生 你可以这样说
Well, sir, you might say that.
开个价吧
“Name your salary.”
她是这么跟我说的
That’s exactly what she said.
好吧 一周65美金 你觉得怎样?
Well, how does $65 a week sound?
太好了 先生
Sounds pretty good, sir.
当然 75美金一周最好
Course, $75 sounds better.
真的
It sure does!
从这周开始吧
Beginning this week.
你真是太好了
That’s mighty nice of you.
我真得感谢你 谢谢