而这里诠释了二十世纪最深刻的真理:
to one of the twentieth century’s most profound truths:
人如其书”
You are what you read.”
我深信这一点
I believe that.
“救救街角书店
“Save The Shop Around the Corner
你也会拯救自己的灵魂”
and you will save your soul.”
弗兰克 太感人了
Frank, that’s charming.
是不是有点夸张了
Think it’s a little over the top?
《乡村之声》报社的来了
That was The Village Voice.
我跟他们说过 随时都能来
I told them to come over whenever.
天哪
Oh, man.
像蝴蝶一样飞舞 像黄蜂一样出击
Float like a butterfly. Sting like a bee.
一二三四
One, two, three, four!
我们不要大型书城
We don’t want your superstore!
五六七八
Five, six, seven, eight!
赶紧离开 关门大吉
Go away and close the gate!
一二三四
One, two, three, four!
“我们不要大型书店”
“We don’t want this superstore.”
他们是这么说的吗
Is that what they’re saying?
还挺顺口
Catchy. Yeah.
这是谁写的词
Well, who wrote that?
烦人
Annoying.
真把我惹火了
Pissing me off, actually.
你们想让西区
Do you want the West Side…
变成一个超大的购物中心吗
to become one big, gigantic strip mall?
不想
No!
你们想在坐地铁时 在72街和百老汇站下车
Do you want to get off the subway at 72nd and Broadway…
却完全意识不到自己此刻正身处纽约吗
and not even know you’re in New York City?
不想
No!
我们能不能拯救街角书店
Can we save The Shop Around the Corner?

Yes!
我们正站在街角书店前
We’re here in front of The Shop Around the Corner…
这家曼哈顿西区著名的儿童书店
the famous West Side children’s bookstore…
现在正濒临倒闭
now on the verge of having to close its doors…
因为冷酷无情的大企业 福克斯书城
because the big bad wolf, Fox Books…
在距离这家店几百米的地方开业了
has opened only a few hundred feet away…
他们用大幅折扣和名牌咖啡来吸引顾客
wooing customers with its sharp discounts and designer coffee.
他们只能通过折扣和拿铁来吸引顾客
They have to have discounts and lattes…
因为他们的大部分员工根本没读过书
because most of the people who work there have never read a book.
她本人可没电视上看起来那么和善
She’s not as nice as she seems on television.
你见过她吗
You met her?
是的
Yeah.
她可讨厌了
Boy, she’s a pill.
她可能也没电视上看起来那么漂亮吧
Probably ain’t as fine as she look on TV either.
不不不 她很漂亮 但也很讨厌
Oh, no, no. She’s beautiful. But she’s a pill.
你一点都不难受吗
You don’t feel bad…
你这都快把人家逼到要去领救济粮了
about basically sending her ass back to the projects with food stamps?
-不难受 -破产的单身白人女性
– No. – Broke, single, white lady.
这无关个人
It’s not personal.
只关生意
It’s business.
是啊
Yeah.
帅哥登场了
Here’s a good-looking guy!
我是卖♥♥廉价书 确实如此 有种告我啊
I sell cheap books. I do. So sue me.
简而言之 这就是福克斯书城的经营哲学
And that, in a nutshell, is the Fox Books philosophy.
你竟然说了这话
That’s what you said?
打折甩卖♥♥
Discount them and sell them.
他们断章取义
Yeah, that’s not all I said.
真不敢相信这些混♥蛋♥ 我说了我们很棒
I said– I can’t believe those bastards. I said we were great!
我说顾客可以在这里读上几小时书而不会被打扰
I said you could read for hours and no one will bother you.
我说我们有15万种书
I said we had 150,000 titles.
我给他们展示了纽约市图书专区
I showed them the New York City section.
我说我们这里就像个广场
I said we were a goddamn piazza.
一个可以让人们相聚于此 互相结识的地方
A place in this city where people could mingle in nexts and bee.
广场
Piazza?
我当时说得可好了
I was eloquent!
该死的
Shit!
广场
A piazza.
现在恐怕是免不了了
Now it’s inevitable. I guess.
人们想把她塑造成圣女贞德
People want to turn her into Joan of Arc.
然后把你塑造成匈奴大帝阿提拉
And you into Attila the Hun.
倒不是针对我个人 但公♥司♥的形象确实变成这样了
Well, not me personally, but the company, yeah.
我见过乔·福克斯
I have met Joe Fox.
他把他的店比作普莱斯会员店
And I’ve heard him compare his store to a Price Club
并把其中的书比作橄榄油
and the books in it to cans of olive oil.
跟我们说说那家书店吧
The bookstore, tell us about it.
街角书店
The Shop Around the Corner
有一种杰弗逊式的纯粹
has a kind of Jeffersonian purity to it…
而这座城市正需要这种纯粹 来保持其历史的完整
that the city needs in order to maintain historical integrity.
杰弗逊式的纯粹
Jeffersonian purity.
很不错的形容 谢谢你
That was nice. Thank you. Thank you.
你在录这个节目吗
Are you taping this?
我在录
Yeah, I’m taping this.
从科技角度而言 世界已经失控了 席迪妮
Technologically speaking, the world’s out of hand. Sidney.
拿录像机来说吧
And I mean, take the VCR.
录像机背后的整个概念就是
The whole idea behind the VCR is that it makes it possible…
它能在你不在家的时候 把电视上的节目录下来
for you to tape what’s on television when you leave the house.
但你离开家
Cross the whole idea behind leaving the house…
正是为了错过电视上放的节目
is so you can miss what’s on television.
没错 这话我听你说过了
Yeah. I’ve heard you say that before.
她还没听过
She hasn’t.
确实如此
Absolutely.
没错
Right.
她明白了我的意思
She gets it. She gets it.
收音机 这种媒介我倒可以支持
Radio. There’s a medium I can get behind.
你现在要开始收集收音机了吗
You gonna start collecting radios now?
我们正在电视节目上
We’re on television.
你可真厉害
You’re good at it.
不不不
No, no, no.
弗兰克
Frank.
她对你有意思
She’s making up, she’s coming on to you.
不不不 他们就爱在电视节目上玩这套
No, no, no. This, they do this on television.
街角书店
The Shop Around the Corner
是真正的纽约瑰宝
it’s a true New York treasure.
你也是
As are you.
说实话 我很乐意再次邀你上节目
Honestly, I’d love to have you back.
她在出汗吗
Is she sweating?
没有
No.
她在摸自己 而且她在出汗
She’s touching herself. And she’s sweating.
随时乐意效劳
Well, I… Anytime.
-好了 我们关了吧 -不行
– Okay, we can turn it off. – No.
天哪
Oh, my God.
我只想说 我只看你的节目
Cause I just want to say that I-I, yours is the only show I do watch.
不会吧
Oh, my God.
不 我只是在客气而已
No. I was being polite.
-谢谢你 弗兰克·纳瓦斯基 -不 谢谢你儿
– Thank you, Frank Navasky. – No, thank you’re.
“谢谢你儿” 抱歉
“Thank you’re”? I’m sorry.
谢谢你儿
Thank you’re?
谢谢各位儿观看 女士们先生们
Thank you’re, ladies and gentlemen.
-我口水都快流出来了 不是吗 -是啊
– I slobbered all over her, didn’t I? – Yeah.
不过我觉得我们之间有点意思
But I think that there’s something there.
营业中
歇业中
首先 我要去买♥♥些桉树蜡烛
So first, I gotta go get some eucalyptus candles…
因为它会让我的公♥寓♥闻起来绿意盎然
because it makes my apartment smell mossy.
然后我要去超♥市♥
Then I’m going to the market,
我想不好要买♥♥哪种
and I can’t decide whether to get…
是买♥♥香肠来做肉酱呢 还是买♥♥肉末
sausage for the meat sauce, or chopped meat.
饶了我们吧
Spare us.
我应该买♥♥蛤蜊酱
You know what? Clam sauce.
没错 因为这是个隆重的约会
Yep, because this is a big date.
不会吧 真的一点好转都没有吗
Don’t tell me. Not the slightest difference?
怎么会呢
How can that be?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!