There’s got to be something to do.
总有事情可做
There’s always something to do.
-看看这个 -他看起来还挺帅
– Look at this. – He looks kind of cute.
情况如何
So?
他不可避免地耽误了
He was unavoidably detained.
他居然放了你鸽子
He stood you up?
我一直在想你
I’ve been thinking about you.
昨晚我去见你 你却没来
Last night I went to meet you, and you weren’t there.
我想知道原因 我觉得自己好蠢
I wish I knew why. I felt so foolish.
在我等你的时候 另一个人出现了
And as I waited, someone else showed up.
他让我的职业遭受了重大的打击
A man who has made my professional life a misery.
结果发生了一件很不可思议的事
And an amazing thing happened.
生平第一次 我终于能够
I was able, for the first time in my life…
在正确的时机
to say the exact thing I wanted to say…
把我想说的话说出来
at the exact moment I wanted to say it.
当然了 说完之后 我感觉很糟糕…
And of course, afterwards I felt terrible…
正如你所说的那样
just as you said I would.
我当时很残忍♥ 但我从来不是这样
I was cruel, and I’m never cruel.
尽管我觉得那些话根本就伤不到他
And even though I can hardly believe what I said mattered to this man.
毕竟对他来说 我就像一只要被踩死的虫子
To him, I am just a bug to be crushed.
但如果那些话真的伤到他了呢
But what if it did?
不管他对我做了什么
No matter what he’s done to me,
我都不该对他说出那样的话
there is no excuse for my behavior.
总之
Anyway…
我很想跟你聊聊
I so wanted to talk to you.
希望你有充分的理由来解释昨晚失约的事
I hope you have a good reason for not being there last night.
你不像是会做出那种事的人
You don’t seem like the kind of person who’d do something like that.
这种交流方式的奇怪之处在于…
The odd thing about this form of communication…
和那些具体的话题相比
is that you’re more likely to talk
我们之间交流的更多是废话
about nothing than something.
但我只想说
But I just want to say…
那些废话对我来说 要比那些具体的话题…
that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many…
有意义得多
somethings.
所以谢谢你
So thanks.
再见
Goodbye.
收件人 小店女孩
发件人 纽约152
主题 我当时在哪
我在…
I am in…
温哥华
Vancouver.
我当时在开会 无法脱身
I was stuck in a meeting which I couldn’t get out of…
而且…
and…
那栋大楼还停电了
the electricity went out in the buliding.
然后…
And…
我们被困在了…
we were trapped…
三十八楼
on the 38th floor.
通讯系统也崩溃了
And the telephone system blew too.
巧的离谱了
Amazingly enough.
亲爱的朋友
Dear friend:
我不能告诉你昨晚发生了什么
I cannot tell you what happened last night.
但我从心底恳求你
But I beg you from the bottom of my heart…
原谅我昨晚的失约
to forgive me for not being there.
对于发生的事
For what happened.
昨天的境况为你带来了额外的痛苦
I feel terrible that you found yourself in a situation…
对此我深表歉意
that caused you additional pain.
但我很肯定…
But I’m absolutely sure…
你昨晚说那些话 是因为他挑衅了你
that whatever you said last night was provoked.
是他活该
Even deserved.
每个人在担忧或者倍感压力时
And everyone says things they regret
都会说一些让自己后悔的话
when they’re worried or stressed.
你本期待着见到你信任的人
You were expecting to see someone you trusted…
结果却见到了敌人
and met the enemy instead.
错都在我
The fault is mine.
以后我会向你解释一切
Someday I’ll explain everything.
与此同时…
Meanwhile…
我仍会在这里
I’m still here.
跟我聊聊吧
Talk to me.
他有没有说想再见你
Did he say anything about wanting to meet you again?
没有 没说
No, no, not really.
听着 这不重要
Listen, it doesn’t matter.
我们就像萧伯纳和坎贝尔夫人那样就很好
We’ll just be like George Bernard Shaw and Mrs. Patrick Campbell.
一辈子都通过信件来交流
We’ll write letters our whole lives.
谢谢你的烤饼 它们看起来真不错
Thank you for the scones. They look lovely.
伯蒂 你这张照片是在哪儿拍的
Birdie, where was this one taken?
西班牙塞维利亚
Seville.
-是你在热恋期拍的吗 -没错
– When you fell madly in love? – Yes.
所以 亲爱的 你打算怎么办
So, dearie, what have you decided to do?
关门 我们要关门
Close. We’re going to close.
关门
Close.
关掉书店确实是勇敢之举
Closing the store is the brave thing to do.
你真会骗人 不过还是谢谢你
You are such a liar. But thank you.
你敢于想象拥有不同生活的可能性
You are daring to imagine that you could have a different life.
我知道你现在的感觉并非如此
I know it doesn’t feel like that.
你觉得自己现在很失败
You feel like a big, fat failure now.
但其实不是这样的
But you’re not.
你正朝着未知进发 而你的手中…
You are marching into the unknown, armed with…
一无所有
nothing.
吃个三明治吧
Have a sandwich.
也不是一无所有 我还有一些存款
Well, not nothing. I have a little money saved.
如果你缺钱 可以跟我要 我很有钱
If you need more, ask me. I’m very rich.
我花六块买♥♥入了因特尔的股票
I bought Intel at six.
现在 我猜你们一定很想知道
Now, I suppose you want me to tell you who it was…
我当年到底疯狂地爱上了谁
I fell madly in love with.
但我不打算说
But I’m not going to tell.
到底是谁 伯蒂
Who was it, Birdie?
拜托 说嘛 你真小气
Come on, tell. That’s so mean.
但也很浪漫
But so romantic.
-我们的相爱是偶然 -为什么
– It wasn’t meant to be. – Why not?
他当时统治着西班牙
He ran Spain.
西班牙
Spain?
那个国家 他是统治者 那是他的职业
The country, he ran it. It was his job.
然后他死了
And then he died.
就这样了
Just as well.
你们要加奶还是加柠檬
Milk or lemon?
她爱上了佛朗哥元帅吗
She fell in love with Generalissimo Franco.
别这么说 真的 这事我们没法确定
Don’t say that. Really, we don’t know that for sure.
那还能是谁 当时应该是1960年左右
Well, who else could it have been? It was probably around 1960.
-你想吃爆米花吗 -我真不敢相信
– Do you want some popcorn? – I can’t believe this.
他又不是什么普通人
I mean, it’s not like he was something normal,
比如社♥会♥主♥义♥者或无政♥府♥主义者之类的
like a socialist or an anarchist or something…
那件事发生在西班牙
It happened in Spain.
人们在国外就是会做出一些蠢事
People do really stupid things in foreign countries.
当然 他们会花高价买♥♥根本不值那么多钱的皮夹克
Absolutely, they buy leather jackets for much more than they’re worth.
但他们不会爱上法♥西♥斯♥独♥裁♥者啊
But they don’t fall in love with fascist dictators.
伯蒂在我心里的地位很特殊
Birdie is a very special person to me.
她就像我的第二个妈妈一样
She is practically my surrogate mother.
她疯了
She’s out of her mind.
她没有
She is not.
我没法和那种不像我一样
I could never be with anybody
认真对待政♥治♥的人在一起
who doesn’t take politics as seriously as I do.
你能安静点吗
Do you mind?
一个热狗在唱歌♥
A hot dog is singing.
你需要我保持安静 然后听一个热狗唱歌♥吗
You need quiet while a hot dog is singing?
我有些事要告诉你 弗兰克
I have something to tell you, Frank.
-我没去投票 -什么
– I didn’t vote. – What?
上次市长选举的时候
In the last mayoral election,
就是鲁迪·朱利安尼和鲁斯·梅辛格竞选的那次
when Rudy Giuliani was running against Ruth Messinger…
我去做美甲了
I went to get a manicure.
然后忘了投票
And forgot to vote.
你什么时候开始做美甲了
Since when do you get manicures?
我猜你也没法和做美甲的女人在一起 是吗
I suppose you could never be with a woman who got manicures?
算了 没事 我原谅你
Never mind. It’s okay. I forgive you.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!