You’re mad because I shot your girlfriend’s dog.
你生气是因为我打死了你女朋友的狗
It wasn’t her dog. It was her husband’s.
那不是她的狗 是她丈夫的
Who said anything about a girlfriend?
谁说过是女朋友了
Okay, James, I wish you hadn’t shot my girlfriend’s dog…
好吧 詹姆斯 我希望你没有打死我女朋友的狗
Even though Poe and I were not exactly what you call simpatico…
即使波和我的关系不是你所谓的那么和谐
that’s no reason he should’ve taken two in the chest.
那也不应该成为他胸中两弹的原因
I don’t know.
我不知道
You just keep acting like a goddamn spook all the time, James.
你一直他妈的表现得像个间谍 詹姆斯
Well, I guess that explains why all the kids in workshop hate me.
啊 我猜这就是为什么班里的人都恨我
All the kids in workshop hate you because right now…
班里的孩子们恨你是因为现在
you’re ten times the writer any one of them will ever be.
你就是个比他们将来要成为的都强十倍的作家
My stuff stinks.
我写的东西很烂
You said so yourself last night to your friend Crabtree.
你昨晚上跟你朋友克拉伯雷就是这么说的
I didn’t mean it like that.
我并不是那个意思
And what does it matter what I think?
而且我怎么想又有什么关系
I mean, what does it matter what anybody thinks?
我是说 任何其他人怎么觉得又有什么关系呢
Most people don’t think, James.
大部分人根本就不思考 詹姆斯
And if they do, it’s not about writing.
而且即使他们思考了 想的也不是写作
Books. They don’t mean anything.
书 它们什么意义都没有
Not to anybody.
对任何人来说都是
Not anymore.
再也不是了
Arsonist’s Daughter meant something.
《纵火犯的女儿》就意味着一些东西
It meant something to me.
对我来说它是有意义的
It’s the reason I came to school here.
它是我到这个学校来的原因
To be taught by you.
来接受你的教导
It’s one of the reasons I wanted to become a writer.
它是我想成为一个作家的原因之一
Well, for that, James, if nothing else…
啊 为了那个 詹姆斯 如果没有其他理由的话
I’m really sorry.
我非常抱歉
What are we doing? I’m gonna get you a nice meal…
我们在干嘛 我要带你吃顿好的
a couple of cups of coffee, then I’m taking you home.
喝几杯咖啡 然后我送你回家
Take me now. What?
现在就走吧 什么
I’m not hungry. James, you gotta eat.
我不饿 詹姆斯 你得吃点东西
I’ll get something out of the vending machine.
我去自动贩卖♥♥机弄点吃的就行
Vending machine? What are you talking about?
贩卖♥♥机 你在讲什么
At the bus station, they have these cheese sandwiches.
在公车站 里面有乳酪三明治
They’re pretty good. It’s better if you take me now.
很好吃的 你最好现在就送我回去
That way, Carl won’t get my spot.
那样 卡尔就抢不到我的位子了
Carl?
卡尔
Never mind. James, go get us a table, will ya?
没什么 詹姆斯 我们去坐会儿 好吗
I’m not letting the most talented writer in my class…
我不能让我班里最才华横溢的作家
eat some week-old cheese sandwich, okay?
去啃那些摆了个把星期的乳酪三明治 对吧
I’m not letting him sleep on some bench in a bus station.
我不会让他睡在公车站的长凳上
So go on inside. I’ll…I’ll be there in a minute.
所以 进去吧 我 我马上就过去
C- A-R-V-E-I.
卡 维 尔
Yes, I’m sure, ma’am. It’s outside of Scranton.
是的 我确定 女士在斯科兰顿城外
You have no listing.
你名单里没有
Okay, well-
好吧 嗯
Lady, as we speak, I am looking at a resident of Carvel, Pennsylvania.
女士 如我们所说 我在找一个宾夕法尼亚州卡维尔市的居民
I’m sure he’d be pretty interested to learn…
我想他对大西洋贝尔公♥司♥
that the good people at Bell Atlantic…
的好人竟然把他的家乡
have misplaced his entire hometown.
放错了地方这件事一定很感兴趣
It’s not like I’m making this up as we go-
这可不是我信口胡编出来的
Never mind. It’s my mistake.
没关系对不起
You want a bite? No, thanks.
想来一口吗 不 谢谢
That’s why you’re having them, your spells.
这就是为什么你拥有它们 你的魔法
Spells? Jesus, James…
魔法 老天 詹姆斯
you make it sound like we’re in a Tennessee Williams play.
你说的听上去好像我们在一场田纳西·威廉姆斯的游戏里
I don’t get spells.
我没有魔法
What would you call them then?
那你管它们叫什么
I don’t know. Um…Episodes.
我不知道 嗯 小插曲
Uh-huh. I just worry about you, that’s all.
啊 -哈 我只是有些为你担心 仅此而已
You just worry about yourself, okay?
担心你自己的事就行了 好吗
Where you going? Nowhere.
你去哪儿 哪儿也不去
You just stay here and eat. I’ll be right back.
你就待在这吃东西 我一会就回来
Good evening.
晚上好
Prof. Tripp. Grady.
崔普教授 格雷迪
Fred Leer. This is my wife Amanda.
弗雷德·李尔这是我妻子阿曼达
Well, looks like I dashed a wonderful evening here.
啊 看来我破坏了一个迷人的晚上
We were on our way to a benefit, but as luck would have it…
我们正要去参加一个义演 幸运的是
the club was on the way, so we were able to put in an appearance.
俱乐部就在这条路上 所以我们可以挤出时间过来一趟
I just thought it would be good for James…
我只是觉得这样对詹姆斯比较好
to be with his family this weekend.
周末跟家人待在一起
Oh, well, of course we can understand that.
哦 好啊 当然我们理解这些
Right. Okay, I guess, uh, I’ll go get James.
是啊 好吧 我想 啊 我去把詹姆斯带过来
Um…
啊
I hope you don’t find this forward, Amanda, but I wonder if I might ask.
希望你不会觉得我无礼 阿曼达 可是我想知道是不是能问一下
Did you ever go to Catholic school?
你上过教会学校吗
Excuse me?
你说什么
I’m not going with them.
我不跟他们走
Things are a little weird for me right now, James.
事情变得有点怪怪的了 詹姆斯
Things are a little weird for me right now too.
对我来说也是怪怪的
I know, but I got my editor in town, I gotta finish my book…
我知道 可是我的编辑过来了 我得写完我的书啊
and there’s some extenuating circumstances…
还有一些情有可原的状况
I won’t bother you. I won’t even talk to you.
我不会烦你的我甚至不会跟你讲话
Like it or not, those people out there are your parents.
不管你喜不喜欢 外面那些人都是你的父母
They’re not my parents. What?
他们不是我父母 什么
They’re my grandparents. My parents are dead.
他们是我的祖父母我父母已经死了
James, the man is obviously your father. You look just like him.
詹姆斯 那个人摆明了就是你父亲啊 你长得简直跟他一样
There’s a reason for that.
那是有原因的
Oh, get out of here. No. That’s why she hates me.
噢 赶紧出去 不 那就是她恨我的原因
That’s why she makes me sleep in the basement.
那就是为什么她让我睡地下室
Crawl space. With the rats and the cask of amontillado, right?
睡在槽隙里 周围都是老鼠 边上都是酒桶 是吗
It’s true! They treat me like a freak!
真是那样 他们待我像怪物一样
Well, you are a freak, James. All right? Welcome to the club.
好吧 你就是个怪物 詹姆斯成了吗 欢迎加入俱乐部
You don’t understand. You don’t know what it’s like.
你不明白你不知道那是种什么感受
You’re right, I don’t.
你说的对 我是不知道
Don’t expect me to feel sorry for you, all right?
别期望我为你感到遗憾 好吗
Because I don’t know who you are.
因为我不知道你是谁
Let me ask you something, James.
我来问你 詹姆斯
In the past 36 hours, have you told me one thing that’s true?
在过去的36小时里 你跟我讲过一句真话吗
One thing that comes from you?
有一件是发生在你身上的事情吗
I just wanted to stay with you for a little while, that’s all.
我只是想跟你待一会 仅此而已
I’m a teacher, James. I’m not a Holiday Inn.
我是个老师 詹姆斯不是假日旅店
Thank you, Prof. Tripp.
谢谢你 崔普教授
Hey!
嘿
Hey.
嘿
Crabtree. Jesus.
克拉伯雷 天哪
Do you mind?
你介意吗
Grady!
格雷迪
Hey. Uh, I know I shouldn’t have…
嗨 啊 我知道不该
but there it was just in the open, and I couldn’t resist.
可是抽屉就是开着的 我忍♥不住就
No, no. I just can’t believe that I left it out like this.
没事 没事 我只是不相信自己竟然开着抽屉就跑了
Tripp, where are you?
崔普 你在哪儿
Has Crabtree been in here? Has he been snooping around?
克拉伯雷来过吗 他有没有来翻过
I don’t know. Maybe. I don’t think so.
我不知道 或许 我想不会吧
Let’s put this away.
把那放到一边吧
Tripp!
崔普
Oh, shit. No. Um…
噢 见鬼 不 啊
Don’t go. I’ve been waiting all night for you.
别走 我等你一晚上了
I’m really flattered, honey, but this just isn’t-
我很高兴 亲爱的 可是现在
I’m sorry. Am I interrupting a teacher-student conference?
对不起 我是不是打断师生间的讨论了
No offense, Tripp. You’re not exactly the most attentive host.
无意冒犯 崔普 你可不是很有礼貌的主人
Well, you’ve been taking good care of that, huh, Crabs?
啊 你不是已经照料的很好了 克拉伯
Sometimes we have to improvise.
有时候我们必须得即兴发挥一下
Where the hell have you been anyway?
你到底跑哪儿去了
I took a drive with James Leer.
我开车带詹姆斯·李尔出去了
He popped the chancellor’s dog, didn’t he?
是他打死的校长的狗 对吧
What? Yeah.
什么 没错
First the police though the just ran away…
一开始警♥察♥想着狗可能是跑了
but this afternoon, Dr. Gaskell found blood spots on the carpet.
可是今天下午 加斯克尔博士在地毯上发现了血迹