I’m afraid so, yeah.
恐怕是的 对
That’s a really big book you’re writing.
你写的可真是本大部头了
Wow. Hannah always swore you were working, but-
哇 汉娜经常发誓说你在工作 可是
But? Nothing.
可是什么 没什么
It’s just-It’s been a while since Arsonist’s Daughter…
只是 只是《纵火犯的女儿》出版可是很有一段时间了
and some people, some of the kids in workshop thought…
有些人 班里有些孩子觉得
maybe you were… Washed up?
你可能 江郎才尽
Blocked.
卡壳了
Well, I don’t believe in writer’s block.
嗯 我不相信作家会卡壳
No kidding.
不开玩笑
You want me to get that? Please. Could you?
要我去接吗 请接一下 可以吗
Glasses. Thank you.
眼镜 谢谢
Hello?
你好
He didn’t give his name. Who?
他没有说名字 谁
The guy on the phone. Well, what did he want?
电♥话♥里那个人 啊 他想干嘛
He wanted to know if a Grady Tripp lived here…
他想知道是不是有个
and drove a dark maroon 1966 Ford Galaxy 500 with black interior.
开着辆1966年深褐紫色福特银河500型的格雷迪·崔普住这
Well, what’d you tell him? Yes.
啊 你怎么说的 是啊
Oh, good, James. Well, I just thought maybe
噢 回答得好 詹姆斯 嗯 我是觉得可能
Good morning, boys.
早上好 孩子们
Good morning, James. Good morning.
早上好 詹姆斯 早上好
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.
吉米 吉米 吉米
I’m gonna take a shower.
我要去冲个澡
Prof. Tripp? Hmm?
崔普教授 嗯
How did I get here last night?
我昨晚上是怎么到这的
No one knows where you live, James.
没有人知道你住哪儿 詹姆斯
Hannah thought you’d like my couch.
汉娜觉得你会喜欢我的沙发的
And before that, did I do anything?
那之前我做过什么吗
I mean, did I do anything bad?
我是说 做过什么不好的事情吗
Well, James, you did shoot the head of the English Department’s dog…
啊 詹姆斯 昨晚你往系主任的爱犬的头上开了两枪
and steal his most prized piece of memorabilia.
然后又偷了他最珍爱的纪念品
Aw, shit.
噢 见鬼
Do yourself a favor. Hide.
帮你自己个忙 藏起来
Good morning. Good morning.
早上好 早上好
Prof. Tripp? That’s right.
崔普教授吗 没错
I understand you attended an event…
我知道你昨晚参加了
at Sara and Walter Gaskell’s house last night.
在萨拉和沃尔特·加斯克尔家举办的一个活动
What’s this all about, anyway?
到底怎么回事
Somebody pulled a B&E on Dr. Gaskell’s closet…
有人撬了加斯克尔教授的柜子
and the dog’s missing.
狗也不见了
I was just wondering if you sawsomeone who seemed suspicious maybe.
我只是想知道你看到什么可疑的人没有
I wouldn’t say there was anybody particularly suspicious.
我不觉得谁比较可疑
About this kid, student of yours, Leer?
有个孩子 是你的一个学生 李尔
James Leer? You wouldn’t happen to know…
詹姆斯· 李尔 你是不是碰巧知道
how I could get in touch with him, would you?
怎么跟他联♥系♥呢
I think I have his number on campus.
我想他的电♥话♥号♥码我放学校了
That’s all right. We’ll find him.
没关系我们会找到他的
Morning. You have a good one.
祝你早晨愉快 你也愉快
There you are. I thought we were going to talk.
在那啊你 我想昨晚我们要谈谈的
WWell, I was… Prof. Tripp?
嗯 我 崔普教授
I heard what he said.
我听到他说的了
What time’s breakfast?
什么时候吃早饭
What do we do now? Just one minute. Hello?
现在我们怎么办 等一下 喂
Grady? Sara.
格雷迪 萨拉
Thank God you’re there. You won’t believe what’s happened.
谢天谢地你在你不会相信出了什么事了
Could you hold on just a minute, honey?
你能等一下吗 宝贝
May I ask you something, Prof. Tripp?
我能问你个问题吗 崔普教授
Sure, James. Where exactly are we going?
当然了 詹姆斯 我们这是要去哪儿
There’s a few things I’ve got to do today.
今天我要处理一些事情
See my wife… The one that left you?
见见我的妻子 离开你的那个
Yes, that’s the one-
对 就是那个
Ow! Oh, shit! Son of a bitch!
噢 哦 见鬼 狗♥娘♥养♥的
Ooh, you’re bleeding, Prof. Tripp.
啊 你的手破了 崔普教授
No shit, James.
真的吗 詹姆斯
So where exactly do you live, James?
你到底住在什么地方 詹姆斯
Apparently, not even Hannah Green has a clue…
显然 甚至汉娜·格林都对
as to the location of your apartment.
你住的地方一无所知
I got kicked out.
我被赶出来了
Well, not exactly kicked out. I was asked to leave.
啊 确切点讲不是被赶出来 是他们让我搬家
I guess there’s probably a story there.
我猜这背后一定有个故事
There is, but it’s not very interesting.
是 不过不是很有趣
So where are you staying?
那你现在住哪儿
At the…
在
The, uh, bus station.
公车站
It’s not so bad. I know the night janitor…
也不是很糟 我认识夜班的门卫
and there’s a broken locker I can put my stuff.
还有个坏了的储物柜我可以放东西
Jesus, James. I mean, uh, for how long?
天哪 詹姆斯我是说 啊 有多久了
A couple of weeks. That’s why…
有几周吧所以
That’s why I had the gun. For protection.
所以我才带把枪防身的
You should’ve told someone. Who?
你该告诉什么人的 告诉谁
I don’t know. Me?
不知道 我
James’ story was the stuff of bad fiction…
詹姆斯的故事可以作为一个糟糕小说的材料
and under other circumstances, I might’ve wondered…
如果是在另一种情境下我或许会感兴趣
where the page ended with him and real life began.
他这本小说是怎么结束的 他的真正的生活又是怎么开始的
But I had other things on my mind.
可是现在我的心里有其他的事情
The Gaskell house looked deserted…
加斯克尔的房♥子看上去那么荒凉
which figured since WordFest was in full swing on campus.
从“文学盛典”的活动在校园里展开后就可以感觉出来了
What are we…
我们这是
You oughta to ease off on that stuff, James. It’s pretty acidic.
你该少喝点那东西 詹姆斯那可是很酸的
I can’t help myself. I don’t know what’s the matter with me.
我忍♥不住 我也不知道自己是怎么了
James, you’re hung over. What do you think’s the matter with you?
詹姆斯 你快大难临头了你以为要出什么事了
I’ll be right back.
很快回来
I knew I needed to have…
我知道我需要跟
a heart-to-heart with Sara.
萨拉诚恳地谈谈
But until then, I’d just make a little gesture.
可是那样之前 我得摆点姿态出来
Feeling guilty?
有负罪感吗
I can’t believe you hung up on me, you dick.
简直不能相信你竟然挂我的电♥话♥ 你个混♥蛋♥
Sara, I am so sorry about this morning.
萨拉 今天早上的事很抱歉
There was a lot going on.
当时正好好多事
Walter’s a basket case. Someone stole Marilyn’s jacket last night.
沃尔特快崩溃了 昨晚有人偷走了玛丽莲的外套
And Poe’s missing.
波也不见了
Oh, I heard. You heard? How?
哦 我听说了 听说了 听谁说的
I, uh…A 12-year-old policeman came by my house this morning.
我 啊 一个年方十二的警♥察♥今早跑到我家里去了
Did you confess? Your fingerprints were all over the bedroom.
你招了吗 卧室里到处都是你的指纹
Really? That was fast.
真的 那么快
I’m joking. Hello!
我在开玩笑 嗨
Oh, right, right, right.
哦 对 对 对
Look, about last night…
那个 昨晚上的事
there’s something I have to talk to you about.
我得跟你谈谈
Okay.
好啊
Uh…I…
啊 我
Well, I, um…
那个 我 啊
I want to be with you.
我想跟你一起
Gee, Grady, that sounded so heartfelt.
天 格雷迪 听起来能让心都化了
No, really, Sara, I do. Honest. I…
不 真的 萨拉 我真的想
No, I believe you want to be with me…
不 我相信你想跟我一起
but it’s just not good enough. I know that. I mean,
可是这还不够 我知道
I know what’s at stake here. No, I don’t think you do.
我知道这要冒多大的风险 不 我不觉得你知道
Besides, it doesn’t matter. I haven’t decided yet.
而且 也没什么关系 我还没有决定
About the baby? That, and you.
关于孩子 那个 还有你
I’m not gonna draw you a map, Grady.
我不会教你怎么做的 格雷迪
Times like these, you have to do your own navigating.
这种时候 你必须自己作出决定
Why is your car over there? And who’s that sitting in it?
你的车怎么停在那里 车里的又是谁
James Leer. What’s he doing here?
詹姆斯·李尔 他来干什么
I’m sort of helping him through some issues.
我在帮他处理些事情
Isn’t he lucky?
他还真是挺走运的哈
She seemed to take it pretty well.
看起来她还是很平静地接受了
Yeah, yeah, well, the moment didn’t actually present itself.
对 对 时机还是不太对
You feel like taking a ride, James?
想一起去兜兜风吗 詹姆斯
Yes.
好啊