James, this is my editor, Terry Crabtree.
詹姆斯 这是我的编辑 特里·克拉伯雷
James.
詹姆斯
James’ll know about George Sanders.
詹姆斯肯定知道乔治·桑德斯
George Sanders? Mr. Crabtree was saying…
乔治·桑德斯 克拉伯雷先生刚才在说
how George Sanders killed himself, only he couldn’t remember how.
乔治·桑德斯是怎么自杀的 不过他想不起来是怎么死的了
Pills. April 25, 1972, in a Costa Brava hotel room.
1972年4月25日 在布拉瓦海岸一个旅馆房♥间里服安♥眠♥药♥自尽
How comprehensive of you. James is amazing.
你的知识面可真广 詹姆斯总是出人意表
He knows all the movie suicides. Go ahead, James. Tell him.
他知道所有电影里的自杀 继续 詹姆斯 给他讲讲
There are so many. Well, just a few. The big ones.
有很多的 嗯 挑一些讲吧 比较轰动的
Pier Angeli, 1971 or ’72, also pills.
皮耶尔·安杰利 1971或1972年 也是服药
Donald “Red” Barry, shot himself in 1980.
“红发”唐纳德·巴里 1980年 吞枪自尽
Charles Boyer, 1978, pills again.
查尔斯·鲍育 1978年 又是服药
Charles Butterworth, 1946, I think. In a car.
查尔斯·巴特沃斯 1946年 我想是 死于车祸
Supposedly, it was an accident, but, you know, he was distraught.
据推测 那是一个事故不过 你也知道 当时他已经发狂了
Dorothy Dandridge, pills, 1965. Albert Dekker, 1968.
多萝西·丹德里奇 安♥眠♥药♥ 1965阿尔伯特·德克尔 1969
He hung himself.
上吊自尽
He wrote his suicide note in lipstick on his stomach.
他用唇膏把遗书写在了肚子上
William Inge, carbon monoxide, 1973.
威廉·英奇 吸煤气自尽 1973年
Carole Landis, pills again. I forget when.
卡萝尔·兰迪斯 还是服药 我忘了是哪一年了
George Reeves, “Superman” on TV, shot himself.
乔治·瑞夫斯 电视上的“超人”饮弹身亡
Jean Seberg, pills,of course, 1979.
让·塞伯格 服药 当然了 是1979年
Everett Sloane, he was good. Pills.
艾弗瑞特·斯罗尼 一个好人 服药
Margaret Sulla van, pills. Lupe Velez, a lot of pills.
玛格丽特·苏拉·芳 服药卢皮·维尔兹 大量的药片
Gig Young, he shot himself and his wife in 1978.
吉克·扬 1978年 射杀他的妻子后吞枪自尽
There are tons more.
还有很多很多
I haven’t heard of half of them. You did them alphabetically.
有半数我都没听说过 你按着字母排序说的
It’s just how my brain works, I guess.
我的大脑就是这么工作的 我想
Fascinating.
很神奇
Say, come out with usafter the lecture.
演讲以后跟我们出去玩吧
There’s this place I always get Tripp to take me.
有一个地方崔普经常带我去
Actually, I just want to go home. Don’t be silly.
实际上 我只想回家 别傻了
No one your age just wants to go home.
你这个岁数的没人只想着回家
Besides, faculty will be present. Just consider it a field trip.
再说了 管理层都会去的你就当是参观长见识去了
Is that really it?
真的是那件吗
That’s really it.
真的是
The one she wore on her wedding day.
她婚礼上穿的那件
So I’m told.
别人就是这么告诉我的
Go ahead. Really?
摸摸吧 真的可以
Really.
真的
She was small.
她的身材好娇小
Most people don’t know that.
大部分人都不知道这点
The shoulders are so small.
肩膀这么瘦小
It looks so perfect.
看上去太完美了
I bet it’s the only time she wore it.
我打赌这是她唯一一次穿它
That day.
那一天
She must have felt so happy.
她一定感到非常的快乐
Must’ve cost Dr. Gaskell a lot. I guess.
这一定费了加斯克尔博士一大笔钱 我想是
He also never tells Sara the truth…
他也从来没跟萨拉说过实话
about how much he pays for these things.
到底他花了多少钱买♥♥这些东西
You’re really good friends with the chancellor, aren’t you?
你跟校长真的是非常好的朋友 是吗
Pretty good.
非常好
I’m friends with her husband too.
我也是她丈夫的朋友
I guess you must be if you know the combination to his closet…
如果你连他储藏柜的密♥码♥都知道那我想一定是了
and he doesn’t mind you being in here in their bedroom.
而且他还不介意你待在他们的卧室里
Right.
没错
Drive carefully.
小心开车
Stick close to me in case it gets slippery.
离我近一些以防万一打滑了
We better skedaddle. James…
我们该逃了 詹姆斯
You all right, James?
你没事吧 詹姆斯
Oh. I’m sorry, Prof. Tripp.
哦 对不起 崔普教授
Maybe it’s…
可能是因为
seeing that jacket that belonged to her.
看到属于她的那件夹克
It just looks really lonely…
它看上去是那么孤独地
hanging there in a closet.
悬在衣柜里
Maybe I’m just a little sad tonight.
可能只是因为我今晚有些伤心
I’m a little sad tonight too, James.
我今晚也有点伤心 詹姆斯
You mean, with your wife leaving you and all?
你是说 因为你的妻子离你而去
Hannah mentioned something about it.
汉娜提了两句
Yeah, well,it’s complicated, James.
是的 嗯 事情很复杂 詹姆斯
I think we should go now.
我想我们该走了
Easy, easy.
放松 放松
He’s a good boy, Poe. Poe’s a good boy. Easy, Poe.
他是个好孩子 波波是个好孩子 放松 波
Easy. Good dog.
别紧张 乖狗狗
Jesus Christ! Get off!
天哪 松口
Shit, James.
见鬼 詹姆斯
You shot Dr. Gaskell’s dog.
你打死了加斯克尔教授的狗
But I-I had to, didn’t I?
可是 我必须如此啊 不对吗
You could’ve pulled him off me.
你可以把它拉开啊
No, the dog was crazy, Prof. Tripp. He was attacking you!
不 这狗已经疯了 崔普教授 它咬你了
The dog was attacking you! Calm down, James.Don’t freak out, all right?
它在袭击你 冷静 詹姆斯别激动 好吗
Okay. All right. Do you have a mirror?
好的 没问题你有镜子吗
It’s the best way to see if someone’s still breathing.
那是查明一个人是否还在呼吸的最佳方法
The dog is dead, James. Believe me.
狗已经死了 詹姆斯相信我
I know a dead dog when I see one.
死狗活狗我还是能分辨得出的
Oh, shit. What are we supposed to do now?
哦 见鬼 我们现在该怎么办
First, you’re gonna give me that little cap gun of yours.
首先你得把你那把小枪给我
Come on.
拿来吧
Prof. Tripp, what are we gonna do with…
崔普教授 我们要拿 它
it?
怎么办
I don’t know.I’m still trying to figure out…
不知道我还在想
how to tell the chancellor that I murdered her husband’s dog.
该怎么告诉校长我杀了她丈夫的狗
You? Trust me, James.
你 相信我 詹姆斯
When the family pet’s been assassinated…
当一个家庭的爱犬被刺杀以后
the owner does not want to hear…
主人是不会高兴听到
that one of her students was the triggerman.
她的一个学生是凶手的
Does she wanna hear it was one of her professors?
她会乐于听到凶手是她的一个教授吗
I’ve got tenure.
我已经拿到终身职位了
Hang on.
抱住了
It’s still warm.
尸体还是热的
Let’s try feet first.
先放腿
Yuck! That is a big trunk.
呃 好大一个后备箱
It holds a tuba, a suitcase…
放了支大号♥ 一个提箱
a dead dog and a garment bag almost perfectly.
一只死狗外加一个衣袋是刚刚好
Yep. That’s just what they used to say in the ads.
没错 当初他们在广♥告♥上就是这么说的
Come on, Crabtree. I know you’re holding.
拜托 克拉伯雷我知道你带着的
Whose tuba is that anyway?
这个大号♥到底是谁的
Miss Sloviak’s. Can I ask you something about her?
斯洛维亚小姐的 我能问你些关于她的问题吗
Yes, she is. So is your friend Crabtree
对 她是 那么你的朋友克拉伯雷
Is he…is he gay?
他是 他是个同性恋吗
Most of the time he is, James. Some of the time he isn’t.
大部分时间是 詹姆斯有时候不是
What do we have here?
这里是什么
This looks like-
看起来像
That’s our old friend Mr. Codeine.
我们的老朋友可待因先生(可待因是一种自鸦♥片♥中提取的碱质 用以镇痛 镇咳 催眠等)
That should take the old pinch out of the ankle. You want one?
可以给我的脚踝镇镇痛 你也来一片
No, thanks. I’m fine without them. Right.
不 谢了 不吃我也很好 没错
That’s why you were standing in the chancellor’s backyard…
所以你才会站在校长家的后院里
spinning that cap gun of yours.
挥舞着你那把玩具枪
You’re fine. Yeah, you’re just as fit as a fucking fiddle.
你是没事 对 你是好的他妈的不能再好了
I’m sorry, James. I’m sorry I said that.
对不起 詹姆斯 我不该那么说
How about we try that again?
我们来再试一次如何
It is a great pleasure to introduce…
我怀着极大的荣幸介绍给大家
best-selling author Quentin Morewood…
畅销书作家昆汀·莫尔伍德
known to his friends simply as Q.
他的朋友简称他为Q
I… am a writer.
我 是个作家
As a writer, you learn that everyone you meet has a story.
作为一个作家 你知道你碰到的每一个人都有一个故事
Every bartender, every taxi driver…
每个酒保 每个出租车司机
has an idea that would make a great book.
都有一个能成为一本好书的构想
Presumably each of you has an idea.
大概你们每个人都有一个构思
But how do you get from there to here?
可是怎么才能从那里到这里呢
What is the bridge from the water’s edge of inspiration…
连接灵感的源泉