I don’t know that he got the full depth of
人们对他和那些角色喜爱程度
the love and devotion people had to him and those characters.
看着满天繁星
Doesn’t looking at all these stars
难道不让你感觉渺小吗 查理·布朗
make you feel sort of insignificant, Charlie Brown?
我一直感觉渺小 莱纳斯
I always feel insignificant, Linus.
你的作业怎么样了
How are you doing with the assignment?
一个字都没写
I haven’t written a single word.
或许我只是个无名之辈
Maybe I’m just a nobody.
我不觉得你是无名之辈 查理·布朗
I don’t think you’re a nobody, Charlie Brown.
谢谢 莱纳斯
Thanks, Linus.
但我该怎么办 我的作文明天就要交了
But what am I supposed to do? My essay is due tomorrow.
当我感觉不知所措时
Well, when I’m feeling overwhelmed,
有时我会通过仰望星空寻找答案
sometimes I find the answers by staring at the sky.
不管用 莱纳斯
It’s not working, Linus.
你看到什么了
What do you see?
一堆星星吧
A bunch of stars, I guess.
但这跟我的作业有什么关系
But what does that have to do with my assignment?
从某种程度上来说 星星与你很像
Well, in some ways, the stars are a lot like you.
如果你仔细看 会发现每颗星星都不一样
If you look closely, you’ll see that every star is different.
它们在颜色 大小以及明亮度上都各有不同
They each vary in color, size and how brightly they shine.
但这些不同创造了美丽
But it’s those differences that create something beautiful.
就像我们 查理·布朗
Just like us, Charlie Brown.
我们每个人都很独特
Each of us is unique,
但我们也属于一个比自己更大的东西
but we’re part of something much greater than ourselves.
我们每人都有目标
We each have a purpose,
尽管很难确定那是什么
even if it’s hard to know for sure what it is.
但每天发觉目标的旅程
And there’s joy to be found in the journey
都充满了欢乐
of figuring it out each day.
也许现在 你的目标只是做查理·布朗
Maybe for now, your purpose is just to be Charlie Brown.
也许你说得对 莱纳斯 我该去写作业了
Maybe you’re right, Linus. Well, I better get to work.
我猜如果查理·布朗还有希望
I guess if there’s hope for Charlie Brown,
那我们就都有
there’s hope for all of us.
到了1980年
By 1980,
史帕基已经每天绘画
Sparky had been drawing Peanuts
《花生漫画》将近三十年了
practically every day for 30 years.
超过一万副连环画
That’s over 10,000 strips.
在那段时间中
And in all that time,
他从没休过假 或错过截稿日期
he never took a vacation or missed a single deadline.
你就像在整日在笼子里跑进跑出的松鼠
You’re like a squirrel running in a cage day in and day out.
没有假期
No vacations.
连环画是非常独特的娱乐形式
A comic strip is a completely unique form of entertainment.
它日复一日和你在一起
It lives with you day after day after day.
你必须做个机器 才能每天写同样的西
You gotta be a machine that way to write the same thing every day
拉洛·阿尔卡拉斯
《蟑螂》漫画家
却又不重复书写
without repeating yourself.
很多漫画家会用铅笔打底
A lot of cartoonists would pencil the strip
丹·”明日汤姆”·博金斯
《现代世界》漫画家
然后让其他人上墨
and then have someone else ink it.
但他总是坚持自己上墨
But he always insisted on inking it himself.
他有一种骄傲
He had this matter of pride that
佩奇·布拉多克
漫画家兼创意公♥司♥创意总监
除了他别人不能碰他的连环画
no one ever touched the strip but him.
他一人包揽了所有工作
He did all the work himself.
1981年7月 史帕基开始出现胸痛
In July of 1981, Sparky started having chest pains.
并急忙送去医院做了心脏手术
He was rushed to the hospital for surgery on his heart.
凯伦·约翰逊
查尔斯·M·舒尔茨博物馆前馆长
他当时在医院
He was in the hospital.
要了一张纸
He asked for a sheet of paper
只想看看他是否还能画角色
just to see if he could draw a character.
他在术后立即想试画
He wanted to do that immediately
确保自己依然能画画
to make sure that he could still draw.
奇普·基德
作家兼平面设计师
而且他可以 但却改变了
And he could, but it had changed.
他的手变得颤抖 线条也跟着弯曲
His hand got shaky, and his lines got shaky.
你可以从后期的连环画中看出
And you can see in the later strips,
线条的边缘波浪起伏
the edges of the lines are quite wiggly.
他会说 “有时我的手抖得太厉害
He would say, “Sometimes my hand shakes so much
简·舒尔茨
查尔斯·舒尔茨遗孀
我必须扶着手才能画画”
that I have to hold it up to draw.”
我记得看着他画画 说 查理·布朗
I remember watching him drawing, say, Charlie Brown,
他的脑袋就是个大圆圈
which is a fairly large circle, the head.
他的手开始颤抖 他就会生气
And his hands would shake, and he’d get so angry.
琳·约翰斯通
《无论好坏》漫画家
但他却说 “我可以画雨” 就是斜线和直线
But yet he said, “I can do rain.” Like, little slashes and lines,
比如雨或草
like rain or grass.
他只是说 “这就是现在的样子了
He just said, “This is what it looks like now.
但依然是我的原创作品”
This is still authentically my work.”
弯曲的线条成了他的招牌
The shaky line becomes his signature move.
罗伯·阿姆斯特朗
《助推》漫画家
太神奇了 妙不可言
Like, that is amazing. That is amazing.
这可能会影响很多人职业
It would’ve harmed a lot of careers.
但却让《花生漫画》更上一层楼
But it took Peanuts to another level,
并让我们感受到更多共情
and actually made us feel more empathy
对他和他笔下的角色
for both him and his characters.
它告诉你他愿意冒险
It tells you that he’s willing to put himself out there.
他没有停下 他的自尊心没有说
He didn’t stop. His ego didn’t say,
“如果我画得不完美 我就不画了” 不是
“If I can’t draw perfectly, I’m not doing that.” No.
这就是他的为人 这就是他想告诉大家的
This was his being. This is how he communicated.
这就是他的处世理念
This is how he lived.
我希望认为自己时不时带来了些解决方法
I like to think that I bring up some solutions now and then.
糟了
我想其中一个就是
I suppose one of the solutions is,
作为查理·布朗 只需要不断努力
as Charlie Brown, just to keep on trying.
他从不放弃 如果有谁该放弃 那肯定是他
He never gives up. And if anybody should give up, he should.
早上好 查理·布朗 你的作文怎么样了
Good morning, Charlie Brown. How did your essay writing go?
我熬了一宿 但我写完了
I was up all night, but I finished it.
-也许我甚至能拿A -那就太好了
– Maybe I’ll even get an A. – That would be nice.
但生活的奖励总用
But life’s rewards often manifest themselves
不同寻常的方式出现
in unconventional ways.
我不知道那是什么意思
I’m not sure what that means, Linus.
但如果我能拿A 确实是不同寻常
But if I get an A, that would certainly be unconventional.
我们的作文已经批好了
Our essays have been graded.
不知我是否终于能拿A了
I wonder if I finally got an A.
我受不了悬念了
I can’t take the suspense.
C- 真是的
C minus? Good grief.
我得了A
I got an A.
老师表扬了我的字写得好 行间距也很均匀
The teacher complimented my penmanship and perfect margins.
我不敢相信 莱纳斯 费了这么大劲只得了C-
I can’t believe it, Linus. All that work for a C minus.
开心点 查理·布朗 成绩不能衡量人的价值
Cheer up, Charlie Brown. Grades aren’t a measure of one’s value.
总之 真正的艺术品只能由时间来评判
Anyway, a true work of art can only be judged over time.
那还算值得期待吧
Well, I guess that’s something to look forward to.
“有时我夜不能寐 一直自问 为什么是我”
“Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, ‘Why me?’
然后听到一个声音 别介意
Then a voice answers, ‘Nothing personal,
只是你的名字刚好出现了”
your name just happened to come up.'”
就在几周前
Just a few weeks ago,
查尔斯·舒尔茨宣布了他将封山不再画画
Charles Schulz announced his retirement from drawing
《花生漫画》将停更
the Peanuts comic strip in order
2000年1月3日
而他将专注治疗肠癌
to concentrate on treatment for colon cancer.
他因化疗而消瘦
He was weak from chemo,
之后他决定退休
and he decided he was going to retire.
我记得很清楚 他是这么说的
I remember very clearly when he said,
“我没法再画连环画了”
“I can’t draw the strip anymore.”
他有一天过来
He came in one day,
我们在商量最后一幅连环画
and we were talking about doing the last strip.
他坐在距离我几米的地方
And he was sitting a few feet away from me,
然后他只是看着我 笑了笑 然后说道
and he just looked at me and he sort of laughed, and he said,
“我真的画了不少有趣的东西”
“I really drew some funny things.”
你能感受到他的悲伤
And you could just feel how sad he was
他知道自己无法继续画画的那种无力感
that he knew he wasn’t gonna be able to draw it anymore.
最后一幅连环画预定在1月3日刊登
The last daily strip is going to be January 3rd,
报纸出刊的那天

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!