奇普·基德
作家兼平面设计师
我不知道黑人小孩的生活是怎样的”
I don’t know what it’s like to be a young Black child.”
于是哈莉特·格里克曼
So Harriet Glickman asked
让她的朋友肯尼斯·凯利和莫妮卡·冈宁
her friends Kenneth Kelly and Monica Gunning,
既是黑人 也是父母 也给舒尔茨写信
who were Black, and also parents, to write to Schulz as well.
查尔斯·舒尔茨先生
漫画是给所有人看的
为什么不在其中
加一个少数族裔的角色呢
您真挚的朋友 莫妮卡·冈宁
那时 漫画中基本没有任何有色人种
Back then, there were almost no people of color in the comics,
史帕基意识到如果他能改变现状
and Sparky realized what it might mean to all kids
那对所有孩子意义重大
if he could help change that.
他想做一些有意义的事
He wanted to do something that had meaning,
佩奇·布拉多克
漫画家兼创意公♥司♥创意总监
能代表立场的事
that actually said something.
你会觉得他是个非常公平的人
You got the sense from him he was a very fair-minded person.
但种族不平等并不是公平
And, I mean, racial inequality is not fairness.
我把富兰克林的角色拖了很久
I held off on Franklin for a long time
因为我感觉自己无法画好他
because I simply felt I wasn’t capable of doing him properly.
要一张 谢谢
我也不想给人感觉自诩清高
And I didn’t want to appear to be patronizing.
我试着悄悄引入他
I tried to do it without fanfare.
他出现的小事件
The little incident when he did appear
是两个小男孩在海滩上相遇
was two little boys meeting on a beach.
他们发现两人都喜欢建沙堡
And they discovered they both liked to make sandcastles.
这不意味着他是黑人 他是白人
It doesn’t matter that one is Black and one is white.
“瞧瞧 查理·布朗
“Now, there you are, Charlie Brown.
这才是真正的沙堡”
There’s a real sandcastle!”
报纸威胁说不再刊登他的连环画
You know, papers threatened to drop the strip.
然后他说 “行 别登了” 但他们没有
And he was like, “Fine, drop it.” And then they didn’t.
然后他们妥协说
And then they were like,
“那别画他们一起去上学”
“Well, just don’t show them in school together.”
当然了 后来他就让他们一起上学了
And of course, then it’s exactly what he did.
富兰克林的有趣之处在于
The interesting thing about Franklin was,
你不会记得他的性格如何
you don’t remember his personality per se,
但会记得他很严肃
as much as he seemed pretty serious.
他是个严肃的小孩 你似乎会觉得
He was a serious kid that you almost got the feeling, again,
如今用成人的角度回头看依然是
looking back at it now as an adult,
感觉他肩上有负担
you know, the burden, almost,
作为一个在白人世界的黑人小孩
of being this Black kid in a white world,
尽管是在连环画世界里
even though it was a comic strip world,
这份负担依然压着他
was weighing on him.
他知道所有人都多多少少注视着他
He knew that everybody was kind of looking at him.
也许这就是我生命的意义 喂狗
Maybe that’s my purpose in life: feeding a dog.
我想不能再拖了
I guess I can’t put it off any longer.
我最好赶紧写作业
I better start writing.
我的狗生
那是个黑暗的风雨交加之夜…
我是谁 我是谁
Who am I? Who am I?
这根本毫无进展
This is hopeless.
也许我该去呼吸下新鲜空气
Maybe I should get some fresh air.
查理·布朗和他的小伙伴们
One of the biggest things to ever happen
遇见的大事件之一
to Charlie Brown and his friends was
是当漫画被影视化上了电视
when they were first brought to life on TV
带来了《查理·布朗圣诞特辑》
with A Charlie Brown Christmas.
我母亲算好了我们买♥♥第一台有色电视的时间
My mother timed the purchase of our first color TV
丹·”明日汤姆”·博金斯
《现代世界》漫画家
好让我在家里看上圣诞特辑
so that I could watch the Christmas special in color.
那对我来说是重要的一刻
That was a huge moment for me.
每个圣诞 我们都会一起观看
Every Christmas, we just all watch it together
基斯·L·威廉姆斯
演员
喝着热可可 其乐无穷
and drink hot cocoa, and it’s just really fun.
我个人不庆祝圣诞节
I personally don’t celebrate Christmas.
埃拉·格拉斯
《美国生活》
我是犹太人 我讨厌圣诞节
I’m a Jew. I hate Christmas.
对我来说毫无意义 圣诞节对我来说一文不值
It means nothing to me. Christmas means nothing to me.
但《查理·布朗圣诞特辑》
But the Charlie Brown Christmas special…
还有比这更美妙的东西吗
I mean, does it get better than that?
《查理·布朗圣诞特辑》大获成功
A Charlie Brown Christmas was a huge hit,
很快《花生漫画》特辑席卷了几乎所有节日
and soon there was a Peanuts special for almost every holiday.
我小时候不喜欢传统节日
I didn’t have traditional holidays when I was a kid.
我很可能在旅途中 在工作
Like, I was probably traveling for work.
德鲁·巴里摩尔
演员兼制片人
所以于我而言
And so to me,
这些特辑就像是个记号♥
those specials were like the marker
在我的原生家庭里所没有的
I didn’t have in a traditional home of,
“现在是这个节日 到了一年中这个时候了”
“It’s this holiday. It’s this time of year.”
我记得万圣节特辑
I remember the Halloween special ran,
《南瓜大王特辑》
the Great Pumpkin special,
有个非常流行的笑话 “你收到了什么”
and the ongoing joke, “What did you get?”
詹妮弗·芬妮·鲍兰
作家
“我收到了苹果””我收到了糖果棒” 而查理·布朗
“I got an apple.” “I got a candy bar.” Charlie Brown…
我收到了石头
I got a rock.
好 从头开始
All right. Let’s take it from the top again.
五四三二…启动所有引擎
Five, four, three, two… All engines running.
节日特辑让《花生漫画》盛极一时
The holiday specials helped make Peanuts so popular
宇航局把阿波罗10号♥飞船船舱
that NASA named the Apollo 10 modules
命名为查理·布朗和史努比
after Charlie Brown and Snoopy.
我们很荣幸能成为你们计划中的一部分
We are very flattered to be part of your whole program,
也非常感激
and extremely grateful.
从前的我根本想不到
I had no idea that all of
会发生这么多神奇的事情
these strange things were going to happen,
比如史努比上月球
like Snoopy going to the moon.
收到 我们也在那看到了相似处
Roger. We notice the resemblance there too.
毫无疑问是我这辈子最感动的时刻
Certainly one of the most moving experiences of my entire life.
欢迎回家 查理·布朗
你必须成为文化标志的重中之重
You have to be such an iconic part of the culture
才能让人以你的名字命名登月舱
for them to name a lunar lander after you.
懂我意思吗 你能想象变得那么著名吗
Do you know what I mean? Like, can you imagine being that famous?
你能想象吗 简直不可思议
Like, can you imagine? Like, that’s crazy.
但尽管查理·布朗和史努比去了外太空
But while Charlie Brown and Snoopy were going to outer space,
史帕基还过着安静的生活
Sparky was living a quiet life.
他给自己搭建了一个世界
He built a world around himself
放满了他从小就喜爱的东西
that was filled with the things he had loved since he was a kid,
比如溜冰场
like a skating rink,
和棒球场
and a baseball field.
他工作的地方不是工作室 而是校园 是个迪士尼
He didn’t work in a studio. It was a campus. It was Disneyesque.
罗伯·阿姆斯特朗
《助推》漫画家
这座建筑是咖啡厅 这里有冰球场
This building was a café, this building had hockey.
我喜欢自己的日常
I love my daily routine of
起床后去溜冰场
getting up and going down to the ice arena
吃过早饭后去工作室
and having breakfast and going to the studio in the morning.
说到底
When it comes right down to it,
我最想做的事就是画有趣的漫画
I’d rather sit and draw a funny picture than do anything else.
他早上起床 开车下山
He’d get up in the morning, drive down the hill,
停在街对面的老位置
would park his car in the same place across the street.
在溜冰场吃早饭
He had breakfast at the ice arena.
英国麦芬蛋糕和葡萄果冻
An English muffin with grape jelly.
然后他去办公室 坐在桌旁工作
And then he went into his office, sat at his desk and worked.
凯伦·约翰逊
查尔斯·M·舒尔茨博物馆前馆长
他真的是走进办公室
He would literally go in his office
佩奇·布拉多克
漫画家兼创意公♥司♥创意总监
等着灵感降临
and wait for the inspiration to hit.
我从没见过他不工作的时候
I never saw him not working, really.
无论我们什么时候来 他总在工作室
Whenever we visited, he was always in his studio.
琳·约翰斯通
《无论好坏》漫画家
他就待在那 而且他很喜欢
That’s what he did. He loved it.
他在工作室享受独处 坐着创作
That solitary part of his studio where he would sit and create.
必须拥有喜欢独处的性格
It takes a certain solitary type of personality
拉洛·阿尔卡拉斯
《蟑螂》漫画家
才能忍♥受长时间一个人在屋里
that can handle hours alone in the room,
长时间沉浸在头脑中
hours alone in your head.
尽管他功成名就
Even as successful as he was,
我想他并不完全了解

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!