是的 就是这名字
Yeah, that’s it.
可爱的名字 对吧 外国名字 可是很好听
Sweet name, isn’t it? Foreign, but sweet.
她在这个房♥间住了多久
How long has she had the room?
两个星期 她的房♥租明天到期
Oh, it must be two weeks. Her rent’s due tomorrow.
她有在这里过夜吗
Does she sleep here, ever?
不 她只是每星期来这儿坐两三次
No, she just comes to sit two or three times a week.
只要他们行为规矩 我不问他们问题
I don’t ask questions, you know, as long as they’re well-behaved.
但我得说…
But I must say…
她下来时 别告诉她我来过
When she comes down, don’t say that I’ve been here.
可她今天没来
Oh, but she hasn’t been here today.
我5分钟前看见她进来的
I just saw her come in five minutes ago.
不 她根本没来
No, she hasn’t been here at all.
来了我会看到的
Well, I would have seen her, you know.
我一直都在这儿
I’ve been right here all the time,
给我的塑料花草加橄榄油
Putting olive oil on my rubber plant leaves.
还有 那儿 你看 她的钥匙还在架子上
And there. There, you see? Her key is on the rack.
那你能上去看看吗
Well, would you please go up and look?
-去她的房♥间? -对
– To her room? – That’s right.
当然可以 如果你要我去的话
Yes, of course, if you ask.
-但这样做看起来很傻 -谢谢
– But it does seem silly. – Thank you.
侦探先生?
Oh, Mr. Detective?
你要上来看一下吗
Would you like to come and look?
她的车不见了
Her car’s gone.
什么车
What car?
米吉儿 你认识懂旧金山历史的权威吗
Midge, who do you know that’s an authority on San Francisco history?
这真是姑娘喜欢的打招呼方式
That’s the kind of greeting a girl likes.
没有”你看起来很美”之类的话
None of this, “Hello, you look wonderful” stuff.
直截了当地说
Just a good straight,
“你认识懂旧金山历史的权威…”
“Who do you know that’s an authority on San Francisco…”
-想喝一杯吗 -不 谢谢
– Want a drink? – No, thanks.
那么 你认识谁 你谁都认识
Well, who do you? You know everybody.
伯克莱大学的桑德斯教授
Professor Saunders, over in Berkeley.
不 不 我不是指那种历史
No, no, I don’t mean that kind of history.
我是指稗官野史 人们从没听说过的
I mean the small stuff, you know, people you never heard of.
你指的是”快乐旧金山的放荡日子”
Well, you mean the gay old bohemian days of gay old San Francisco.
刺♥激♥故事 比如谁1879年8月谁在安巴卡德罗被杀了
Juicy stories, like who shot who in the Embarcadero in August, 1879.
对 对
Yeah, that’s right.
-雷伯尔大爷 -谁
-Pop Leibei. – Who?
雷伯尔大爷 他有家”宏大书店”
Pop Leibel. He owns the Argosy Book Shop.
怎么了 你想知道什么
Why, what do you want to know?
我想知道谁1879年8月谁在安巴卡德罗被杀了
I want to know who shot who in the Embarcadero in August, 1879.
等一下
Hey, wait a minute.
你不再是侦探了 怎么回事
You’re not a detective anymore. What’s going on?
你非常了解他吗
You know him well?
谁
Who?
雷伯尔大爷
Pop Leibei.
当然
Oh, sure.
好 走吧 我要你把我介绍给他 拿上帽子
Well, come on, let’s go. I want you to introduce me. Get your hat.
我不戴帽子
I don’t need a hat.
约翰尼 这到底是怎么回事
Hey, Johnny, what’s it all about?
等一下
Wait a minute.
宏大书店
是的 我想起来了 卡洛特
Hello. Yes, I remember. Carlotta.
美丽的卡洛特
The beautifui Cariotta.
悲伤的卡洛特
The sad Cariotta.
埃迪和高夫街角的老房♥子
What does an old wooden house at the corner of Eddy and Gough street
跟卡洛特·瓦尔德斯有什么关系
Have to do with Carlotta Valdes?
那是她的房♥子 多年前为她建的
Well, it was hers. It was built for her many years ago.
-谁建的 -是…
– By whom? – By…
是…
By…
我记不起他的名字了
No. The name, I do not remember.
是一个有钱有权的人
A rich man, a powerful man.
-抽烟吗 -不 谢谢
– Cigarette? – No, thank you.
-抽烟吗 小姐 -不 谢谢
– Cigarette, Miss? – No, thanks.
这是很平常的故事
It is not an unusual story.
她来自城南边的一个小地方
She came from somewhere small to the south of the city.
有人说是从传教村来的
Some say from a mission settiement.
她年轻 对 非常年轻
Young, yes. Very young.
她在卡巴莱跳舞唱歌♥ 被那个男人发现
And she was found dancing and singing in a cabaret by that man.
他带走了她 为她建了大房♥子
And he took her and built for her the great house
就在西增建区
In the Western Addition.
还有个…有个孩子
And there was a… there was a child.
对 是的 一个孩子…
Yes, that’s it. A child. A child.
我无法告诉你们确切的时间
I cannot tell you exactly how much time passed,
或是他们幸福甜蜜了多久
Or how much happiness there was.
但是 后来他抛弃了她
But, then, he threw her away.
他没有别的子嗣 他的妻子没有生育
He had no other children. His wife had no children.
所以他带走了小孩并抛弃了她
So he kept the child and threw her away.
那时候的男人可以那么做
You know, a man could do that in those days.
他们有权有势 又自♥由♥
They had the power and the freedom.
而她变成了忧郁可洛特
And she became the sad Carlotta.
独自住在那所大房♥子里 独自走在大街上
Alone in the great house, walking the streets alone.
穿着破旧不堪的衣服
Her clothes becoming old and patched and dirty.
成了疯疯癫癫的卡洛特
And the mad Carlotta.
拦住路人就问
Stopping people in the streets to ask,
“我的孩子在哪儿”
“Where is my child?
“有谁见过我的孩子吗”
Have you seen my child?”
可怜的女人
Poor thing.
然后她死了
And she died.
-她死了 -怎么死的
– She died. – How?
自杀
By her own hand.
当时这样的故事屡见不鲜
There are many such stories.
-非常感谢 -不客气
– Well, thank you very much. – You are welcome.
不胜感激 再见
I appreciate it. Good-bye.
再见
Good-bye.
等等我 再见 大爷 非常感谢
Hey, wait a minute! Good-bye, pop. Thanks a lot.
-好了 小约约 报答我的时候到了 -为什么
– Now then, Johnny-o, pay me. – For what?
因为我带你来这儿啊 快 告诉我
For bringing you here.Come on, tell.
没什么可说的
There’s nothing to tell.
要么告诉我 要么再穿回紧身衣
You’ll tell or you’ll be back in that corset.
约翰尼 快说啊 求你了
Come on, Johnny, please.
走吧…我载你回家
Come on, come on. I’ll take you home.
到了
There we are.
-你还没告诉我实情呢 -不 我已经说的够多了
– You haven’t told me everything. – No, I’ve told you enough.
那个男人是谁 还有那个妻子
Who’s the guy and who’s the wife?
下车 我还有事要办
Out. I’ve got things to do.
我知道 跟你通电♥话♥的那个老校友 埃尔斯特
I know. The one that phoned, your old college chum, Elster.
米吉儿 求你了 下车
Midge, out, please.
重点是那个漂亮的
And the idea is that the beautiful,
疯癫的卡洛特死而复生
Mad Carlotta has come back from the dead
并附身于埃尔斯特的妻子
And taken possession of Elster’s wife.
约翰尼 说真的 快告诉我
Now, Johnny, really. Come on.
我不会告诉你我怎么想的
Well, I’m not telling you what I think.
但会告诉你他怎么想的
I’m telling you what he thinks.
那你怎么想的
Well, what do you think?
我…
Well, I…
-她漂亮吗 -卡洛特?
– Is she pretty? – Carlotta?
不 不是说卡洛特 是说埃尔斯特的老婆
No, not Carlotta. Elster’s wife.
漂亮
Yes.
我猜你认为她会…
I guess you’d consider that she would be…
我想我会去看看那副画像的 再见
I think I’ll go take a look at that portrait. Good-bye.
米吉儿…
Midge…
-再见 -米吉儿 你…
– Good-bye. – Midge, you…
斯考蒂 你做得很好 你很胜任这份工作
You’ve done well, Scottie. You’re good at your job.
-那是卡洛特·瓦尔德斯 -对
– That’s Carlotta Valdes. – Yes.
有些事你没告诉我
There are things you didn’t tell me.
-我不知道她会带领你去哪儿 -但你知道
– I didn’t know where she’d lead you. – But you knew about this.
对
Oh, yeah.
你注意到她的发髻了吗
You notice the way she does her hair?
还有别的东西
You know, there’s something else.
我太太 玛德琳