南美洲人是南美的原住民 无关肤色
A South African is a native of South Africa, regardless of color.
我出生在英属圭亚那
I was born in British guiana.
请说 英翰
Yes, ingram?
你前几天说的叛逆是什么意思 老师?
Uh, what did you mean the other day about rebellion, sir?
就是改变
Change.
拿你们的发型来说 就是一种形式的叛逆 对吧?
Take your hairstyles. That’s a form of rebellion, isn’t it?
什么意思 老师?
Eh? What, sir?
你们不就是想跟大人不一样吗?
Don’t you do it to be different from adults?
对啊 大人把世界搞得一团乱
They’ve messed up the world, haventthey?
有道理 – 所以你们就叛逆
You can say that again. – So you rebel.
即使你们的穿着也是一种叛逆
Even the way you dress is a form of rebellion, isn’t it?
这只是新时尚 老师
It’s just the new fashion, sir.
因为大人穿上我们的衣服很蠢
Of course, the adults look proper stupid in our gear.
你觉得改变 是错误、与众不同还是叛逆吗 老师?
Do you think it’s wrong to be different, to rebel?
你们的责任就是改变世界
It is your duty to change the world, if you can.
不是藉由暴♥力♥
Not by violence.
而是和平渐进的 不是黑帮模式的
Peacefully, individually, not as a mob.
以披头四乐团来说 他们启动了巨大的社会变革
Take the Beatles. They started a huge social revolution.
他们的穿着和发型
The fashions they set in dress
引领了世界的时尚
and hairstyles are worldwide now.
每个新时尚都是一种叛逆形式
Every new fashion is a form of rebellion.
维多利亚与亚伯特博物馆
Now, there’s a fine exhibition of costumes through the ages
有历代服装展
on at the Victoria and Albert museum.
你们应该去参观一下
I think you should see it.
而且还可以参观自然历史博物馆
Also, you should see the museum of natural history.
什么?去参观博物馆?
What, us lot go to a museum?
当然好 – 开玩笑
Sure. – You’re joking.
你们会发现自己的发型有两百年历史
You’ll discover that your hairstyles are 200 years old…
而你们的穿着
And that your costumes or your dress
大概停留在1920年
is, uh, right out of 1920.
安静啦! 我们何时可以去参观 老师?
Shut up! Look, sir, when can we go?
放学后没时间 我要照顾弟妹
There’s no time after school, and I’ve got to look after the kids.
是啊 我要做家事 还要为房♥客准备晚餐 老师
I have to do the housework and get the supper for the lodgers.
我也不行 老师 我妈快生了 我还要照顾其他弟妹
Me mum’s expecting a baby any day, and I got to babysit.
你带我们去好不好?早上可以 – 对啊!我喜欢这样!
Why don’t you take us? We could go in the morning.
有谁想去?
Who would like that?
真无聊
What a drag.
有什么关系?你不想放一天假吗?- 把手举起来 – 快点 帕特!
Don’t you want a day off? Put your hand up.
两只手都要 – 想得美
Put both hands up. – Fat chance.
这样行不通的
It wouldn’t work.
我们北码头中学从未承担过这样的风险
It’s not the sort of risk we’d dare to take at north quay.
我愿意尝试 校长
I would like to try, sir.
优秀的学生才有机会炫耀
The best of pupils are inclined to show off in public.
至于你的班级?
Your class?
你压不住他们的
You’d never be able to supervise them.
当我接受这份工作时
When I took this job, you said you wouldn’t interfere
你说过绝不干涉我的教学
as long as I stayed within your framework.
好 如果你能说服另一位老师跟你一起
If you can get another staff member to go with you,
我就向委员会提出请求
I’ll approach the council.
希望很渺茫
I see little hope of approval.
谢谢校长
Thank you, sir.
(求职信)
布兰察小姐
Miss Blanchard?
布兰察小姐 我想为同学安排户外教学
Miss Blanchard, I think I can arrange an outing with my class,
如果能找到别的老师陪同
if I can get another teacher to go along.
我… – 我很乐意 叫我吉莉安
I’d love to. And it’s Gillian.
何时出发 马克?
When is the outing?
只要取得同意就立刻安排
As soon as we arrange travel warrants and permission.
再告诉我时间
Just let me know when.
谢了 吉莉安 拜 – 拜
Thanks, Gillian. Bye. – Bye.
早 – 老师早
Good morning.
你们今天想谈什么?
What would you like to talk about today?
女士优先
Ladies first.
约瑟夫小姐
Miss Joseph.
婚姻 老师 就是男朋友之类的
Marriage, sir. You know, boyfriends and things.
该如何知道他是好对象?你认为女孩应该注意哪些?
How do you know he’s the right one? What to look for.
如何避免离婚 老师?
How to avoid divorce.
别结婚!
Don’t get married.
波塞尔小姐在哪?
Where’s miss purcell?
她在家里照顾 老师
She’s to look after the home today.
她妈妈昨晚生孩子了
Her mum had the baby last night.
噢 是哪家医院?
What hospital?
没去医院 老师 医生来家里接生
No hospital, sir. The doctor came to her.
她妈妈没事吧?
She all right?
不是刚生了小孩吗?
She just had a kid.
是啊
好… 关于婚姻
Well, now, marriage.
首先 有些话说在前头
First, let us lay some ground rules.
我没结过婚 所以我说的是外行话
I’ve never been married, so what I say is as an outsider.
女孩应该注意哪些男人的事呢?
Now, what should a girl look for in a man?
我认为应该先定义什么是婚姻
I think first we ought to determine, what is marriage?
约瑟夫小姐
Miss Joseph.
神圣的婚约 – 神圣的婚约?
Holy wedlock.
帕特!
Potts!
帕特 严肃一点 等一下该你说了
Potter, be serious. You’ll get your turn.
佩格小姐?
Miss pegg.
是生命过程对吗 老师?
It’s life, isn’t it, sir?
人人都会结婚 总有一天
Everyone gets married. I mean, sometime.
你为何没结婚呢 老师?
Why didn’t you marry?
没人会嫁给他
No one would have him.
我很穷
I was very poor.
我只想受教育
And there was something in me that wanted an education.
这费了我许多的精力
So I put all of my energies into that.
所以我比较晚开始… 只是还没遇见对的女孩
And, uh, well, I got started late and just never met the right girl.
女孩应该注意哪些男人的事呢?
Now, uh, what should a girl look for in a man?
克拉克小姐 – 你做过哪些工作 老师?
Miss Clark? – What work did you do, sir?
我做过服务生 在小吃摊做汉堡
I waited tables. I cooked in a hamburgerjoint.
刷盘子 洗车
I washed dishes for a time, cars.
在公♥寓♥当了一年的工友 差不多就这些
For a year I was a janitor in an apartment block.
你刷过盘子 老师? – 我刷过
All sorts ofjobs. – You washed dishes?
但是你的谈吐很高雅
But you talk posh.
这很不容易
That wasn’t easy.
你说话一直这么高雅吗?
You didn’t always talk like that?
我年轻的时候说方言… 一种简单的英语
When I was your age, I used a patois, a kind of simple English.
如果你不离开这个地方 我会买♥♥下并摧毁你的身体
I buy and bust your booby if you don’t get up off of this place.
我听不懂 老师
Didn’t understand a word.
有时我也听不懂你们说的话
Well, I don’t always understand what you say either.
重点是 只要愿意努力 没什么做不到的
But the point is, if you work hard, you can do almost anything.
你能得到想要的工作 甚至…
You can get any job you want. You can even…
甚至… 改变说话的习惯
You can even, uh, change your speech if you want to.
得到学位之后
After I got my degree,
我在南美洲一家石油公♥司♥工作
I went to work in South America for an oil company.
那里唯一的女性…
The only women in that region
就是带着吹箭和毒镖的印地安人
were jungle Indians who carried blowpipes and poison darts.
你会砸到我的手
You could have broke my hands.
提到婚姻
We were discussing marriage.
在我心中 婚姻不是弱者的生活
To my mind, marriage is no way of life for the weak,
也不是自私或不安者的生活
or the insecure.
又怎么了 威士顿?
What’s the matter, Weston?
该死的美国人
These damn fool Americans!
他们插手的事全砸锅
They bog up everything they’re connected with.
多如牛毛
What a shower!
我绝对不原谅在邱吉尔葬礼时 他们总统没来
I’ll never forgive the president for not coming to Churchill’s funeral,
至少也该派副总统来 没礼貌到家了
or at least sending the vice president. Rotten bad manners.
很不得体 – 我同意
It was very naughty. – I quite agree.
典型的愚蠢和不必要的错误
A typically stupid, appalling and unnecessary mistake.
不然怎么办呢? – 还在抱怨 威士顿
What can you expect? – Still beefing?
给他们一点机会 威士顿先生
Give them a chance. They’ve not been in the business
他们领导世界还没有我们英国那么久
of leading the world as long as britain was.
这话令人惊讶
You continue to astonish me, old chum.
我是否该以为有这种论点的人…
I should thought if anyone took a point of…