Are those real diamonds? They’re pretty near.
这些是真的钻石吗? 几乎是
I didn’t know you had a girlfriend.
天啊 我不知道你有女朋友
Yes, it probably isn’t easy for you to imagine anyone…
是的 你可能很难想象
…could like a man of my type.
会有人喜欢我这种人
Let’s not start all over again.
克拉里克先生 我们别再拌嘴了
It’s Christmas, and I’d like to be friends. Beside, you’re wrong.
今天是圣诞夜 我想跟你做朋友 而且你也说错了
Do you mind if I tell you something? No, not at all.
我可以告诉你一件事吗? 当然
When I first came to work here, something very strange happened to me.
我刚开始在这里工作时 发生了一件奇怪的事
I got psychologically mixed up.
我的心思错乱了
You don’t say? Yes.
不会吧? 是的
I found myself looking at you again and again.
我发现自己不断地看着你
I just couldn’t take my eyes off of you.
我无法对你转移视线
I kept saying, “Klara Novak, what on earth is the matter with you.
我一直问自己 “克拉娜 你是怎么了
“This Kralik is not a particularly attractive man.”
“克拉里克不是有魅力的男人”
I hope you don’t mind. No, not at all.
希望你别介意 完全不会
Now, here comes the paradox. I found myself falling for you.
这就是矛盾所在 我发现自己迷恋上你了
I can’t believe it. Yes, and very much so.
我不相信 是真的 克拉里克先生
You certainly didn’t show it. In those first few weeks…
你一点都没有表现出来 那是在头几个星期
I know you won’t misconstrue what I’m going to say to you.
我知道现在告诉你这些不会让你误会
After all, I’m happily engaged. At least it looks that way.
而且我已经订婚了 至少有这个可能
Go on.
是的 继续说 后来呢?
In those first few weeks, there were moments in the stockroom…
就在那几个星期 有几次在贮藏室
…when you could have swept me off of my feet.
我几乎为你神魂颠倒
Now I’m getting psychologically mixed up.
现在换我心思错乱了
I was a different girl, then. I was rather naive.
你知道我当时完全不同 当时的我很天真
All my knowledge came from books, and I’d just finished a novel…
我所有的知识都来自书上 当时我刚看完一本书
…about a glamorous French actress from the Comédie Francaise.
描写一位著名的法国女星 她来自法兰西喜剧剧院
That’s a theater in France.
那是法国一座剧院
When she wanted to arouse a man’s interest, she treated him like a dog.
当她想引起某位男士的兴趣时 她就会故意怠慢他
Yes, you treated me like a dog.
是的 你的确怠慢了我
But instead of licking my hand, you barked.
是的 但你没有被我吸引 反而对我怒目相向
My mistake was I didn’t realize that the difference between this glamorous lady…
那是我的错 我没弄清楚我跟著名女星间的差别在于
…and me was that she was with the Comédie Francaise…
她来自法兰西喜剧剧院
…and I was with Matuschek and Company.
而我只在马朵查克公♥司♥工作
Well, that’s all forgotten now.
现在一切都能被原谅了
Now you’re going to see your girlfriend. By the way, is it serious?
现在你要去见你的女朋友 顺便问一下 你很认真吗?
Yes, very.
是的 非常认真
Maybe we’ll both be engaged Monday morning.
或许星期一上午 我们两个人都订了婚
I think we will.
我相信我们一定会
Don’t misunderstand me. I just said in my case, it might happen.
我不希望让你误会 就我来说 只是有可能
As a matter of fact, I can tell you, it will happen.
其实我可以告诉你 一定会的
How do you know?
你怎么知道?
We won’t go into that.
我们别再谈了
Mr. Kralik, what do you mean you know?
克拉里克先生 你是说你知道?
I guess I might as well tell you. He came to see me.
我想我还是告诉你好了 我… 他来找过我
Who? Your fiancee.
谁? 你的未婚夫
My… Yes, he came last night. You shouldn’t have told him who I am.
我的… 是的 他昨晚来过 你不该告诉他我是谁
I spent an uncomfortable hour.
我过了难受的一小时
Apparently, he didn’t believe it when you wrote that I meant nothing to you.
很显然 他不相信你跟他说你我之间没有关系
I can’t get it into my head. Corning to see you?
我… 还是搞不清楚 来找你?
That doesn’t sound like him at all. I’ve straightened everything out.
这一点都不像他 听我说 我把事情解释清楚了
You don’t have to worry. In a little while you’ll be Mrs. Popkin.
你用不着担心 你就要成为帕布金太太了
Mrs. Popkin?
帕布金太太?
That’s the name, isn’t it? That’s the name he gave me.
他姓帕布金 对吧? 他是这么告诉我的
Oh, yes, that’s right. Popkin. Popkin.
帕布… 是的 没错 帕布金
A very nice fellow. I congratulate you.
一个好人 非常亲切的人 我要恭喜你
Thank you.
谢谢
I think he’s a very attractive man, don’t you?
我想他应该很迷人吧?
Yes. For his type, I’d say yes.
是的 就他那种外型而言 我会说 是很迷人
You would classify him as a definite type?
能不能明确的说明他的类型?
Absolutely! And don’t try to change him.
当然 千万不要想改变他
Don’t put him on a diet.
不要叫他节食
Would you call him fat? I wouldn’t, but that’s a matter of opinion.
你是说他很胖吗? 不尽然 那是个人看法
I think that little stomach of his gives him a nice, homey quality.
我认为有点小腹让他更有居家的特质
That’s what you want in a husband, isn’t it?
你想的就是这种丈夫吧?
Yes, that’s what I want. And you’re perfectly right.
是的 那是我所想要的 你完全正确
If I were a girl and had to choose between a young, good-for-nothing…
如果我是女孩 要我在头发浓密的穷光蛋
…with plenty of hair, and a solid, mature citizen…
与一个成熟的公民间做选择
…I’d pick Mathias Popkin every time.
我一定会挑马塞亚·帕布金
Anyway, he has a fine mind.
反正他有一副好心肠
Didn’t he impress you as being rather witty?
难道你不认为他很机智吗?
He struck me as rather depressed, but it’s unfair to judge a man…
我倒是觉得他有些沮丧 但在某人失业时
…when he’s out of a job.
去评断他并不公平
Out of a job! He never told me!
失业? 他没有告诉我
That shows you how sensitive he is.
这就表示他非常细腻
You have nothing to worry about.
不过你用不着担心
He feels that both of you can live very nicely on your salary.
他认为单靠你的薪水 你们就能过得很好
Did you tell him how much I make?
你告诉他我赚多少钱了吗?
He’s your fiancee, and he asked me.
他是你的未婚夫 而且他问了
When I told him what salary you made, he was a little worried…
当我告诉他 你赚多少钱时 他是有一点担心
…but then I promised him you’d get a raise, and he felt better about it.
但我向他保证 你就快要加薪了 他离开时心情好多了
Let me tell you, mentioning that bonus didn’t do you any harm at all.
还有 提一提奖金对你也不会有害
This is terrible.
这实在太可怕了
I’m outraged! I had no idea he was materialistic like this.
我真的很生气 我不知道他这么崇拜物质
If you could read his letters. Such ideals, such a lofty point of view.
如果你看过他写的信 那么理想化和高尚的观点
I could quote you passages. For instance?
我可以背几句给你听 比如说?
“True love is to be two, and yet one.
“爱情中必须有两个人 而不是一个人
“A man and a woman blended as angels.
“一个男人和一个女人 如天使一般交融
“Heaven itself.” That’s Victor Hugo. He stole that.
“这就是天堂” 那是雨果的诗 他剽窃来的
I thought I was the inspiration for all those beautiful thoughts.
我还以为是我引发他这些美丽的想法
Now I find he was just copying words out of a book.
现在我发现他只是抄袭书上的话
He probably didn’t mean a single one of them.
他可能根本没有那些意思
I’m sorry you feel this way about it.
我很抱歉你有这种感觉
I’d hate to think I’m spoiling your Christmas.
我不希望我破坏了你的圣诞节
I’d built up such an illusion about him. I thought he was so perfect.
我对他有个幻想 我以为他是完美的
I had to come along and destroy it.
却被我给破坏殆尽
That’s all right.
没有关系
I guess I really ought to thank you.
我想我该感谢你
Klara, if I’d only known in the beginning how you felt about me…
克拉娜 如果我从一开始就知道你对我的感觉
…things would have been different.
情况一定会有所不同
We wouldn’t have been fighting all the time.
我们就不会一直吵架
If we quarreled, it wouldn’t have been over suitcases and handbags…
就算吵也不会为皮箱或手提袋 而是为了别的事
…but over something like whether your aunt or grandmother…
比如你阿姨或奶奶
…should live with us or not.
是否该与我们同住
It’s sweet of you to try to cheer me up.
你真好 还试着想逗我开心
I think we’d better say good night.
我想我们应该道晚安了
You have an engagement and so have I, and we shouldn’t be late.
你有约会 而我也有 我们都不应该迟到
Do you know what I wish would happen?
你知道我当时希望什么吗?
When your bell rings at 8:30, and you open the door…
当八点半门铃响时进来的是你
…instead of Popkin, I come in.
而不是帕布金先生
Please, don’t make it more difficult for me.
不 请别让我更为难
I’d say, “Klara, darling” No, you mustn’t.
我要说 亲爱的克拉娜 不 请你别
My dearest, sweetheart Klara, I can’t stand it any longer.
我最亲爱的克拉娜 我再也受不了了
Take your key and open post office box 237…
请你拿着钥匙打开237信箱
…and take me out of my envelope and kiss me.
把我从信封中取出 吻我
Mr. Kralik, you must…
不 克拉里克先生 你不可以…
Dear friend.
亲爱的朋友
You?
你就是?
Dear friend?
亲爱的朋友?
Are you disappointed?
你很失望吗?
Psychologically, I’m very confused…
我的心里很困惑
…but personally, I don’t feel bad at all.
但我却一点也不难过
Klara.
克拉娜
When you came to the café that night, I was pretty rude, wasn’t I?
告诉我 那天你去咖啡厅 我的态度很无礼吧?
Oh, no. No. Yes, I was. Don’t you remember?
不 不会的 是的 我是
Why, I called you bowlegged.
你不记得我笑你是罗圈腿吗?
I was going to prove to you that I wasn’t.
我知道 当时我就要向你证明 我不是罗圈腿
I was going to go out to the street and pull up my trousers.
我本来想到大街上 把裤脚拉起来
Would you mind very much if I asked you to pull them up now?
没错 如果可以的话 现在能否请你把裤脚拉起?