看看那个被绞死的家伙都干了些什么
# See what the hangman done
看看那个被绞死的家伙都干了些什么
# See what the hangman done
吊 吊 吊
# Hung, hang, hing
看那个抢劫犯在摇摆
# See the robber swing
吊 吊 吊
# Hing, hang, hung
我的歌♥也结束了
# Now my song is done
你想买♥♥它吗 约翰?
Are you going to buy it, John?
那么 是你妈妈不让你上学
So your mommy’s keeping you out of school.
你可怜的妈妈怎么样了?
How is your poor, poor mother?
她在斯澎的冰淇淋店工作
She’s at Spoon’s icecream parlour.
他们有没有发现 你♥爸♥爸用那笔偷来的钱干了什么?
Did they ever find out what your father done with all that money he stole?
珀尔和我该走了
Pearl and me, we have to go.
你最好别唱那支歌♥ -为什么?
You’d better not sing that song. – Why?
因为你太小了
Cos you’re too little.
我们可以买♥♥点糖果吗?
Can we get some candy?
不行
No.
威拉·哈珀 生活中有一些事情你必须知道
Willa Harper, there are certain plain facts of life that adds up
就像2加2等于4一样 比如说
just like two plus two makes four, and one of them is this.
没有一个女人可以独自把小孩拉扯大
No woman is able to raise growing youngsters alone.
上帝本想让两人一起工作的 -艾希 我只是不想结婚
The Lord meant that job for two. – Icey, I just don’t want a husband.
这不是想不想要的问题
T’ain’t a question of wanting or not wanting.
你有两个小孩
You’ve got two little young ‘uns.
你需要一个男人 威拉·哈珀
It’s a man you need in the house, Willa Harper.
说个故事给我听 约翰
Tell me a story, John.
好吧 很久很久以前…
Well, once upon a time…
有一个很富有的国王 他有一个儿子和一个女儿
there was a rich king who had himself a son and a daughter.
他们都住在非洲的一个城♥堡♥里
They all lived in a castle over in Africa.
有一天 这个国王被一些坏蛋抓走了
Then one day this king got taken away by some bad men.
临走时他告诉他的儿子 无论谁想偷走他的金子 格杀勿论
Before he got took off he told his son to kill anyone who tried to steal his gold.
不久以后 那些坏蛋又回来了…
And before long, the bad men came back and…
一个男的
Just a man.
晚安 珀尔 睡个好觉 别让臭虫咬了
Good night, Pearl. Sleep tight and don’t let the bedbugs bite.
晚安 詹妮小姐 别让臭虫咬了
Night, Miss Jenny. Don’t let the bedbugs bite.
她不再停靠克瑞丝普了 但每次经过这里仍然鸣声响亮
She don’t put in at Cresap’s Landing no more but she still blows as she passes.
进来喝杯咖啡吧 孩子
Come on in and have a cup of coffee, boy.
没人会偷爸爸的小船
Ain’t nobody stole Dad’s skiff.
只要有伯迪伯伯在 就不会有人敢偷
Ain’t nobody going to neither, as long as Uncle Birdie’s round.
哪一天我的关节灵活了
First day my joints is limber enough
我立即把她拖出来 把边缝补严实
I’ll haul her out and give her a good caulking.
好久不见了 孩子 -我在照看珀尔
Ain’t seen you in a coon’s age, boy. – I’ve been minding Pearl.
如果女人要给一个没有准备的男人重担
Ain’t it a caution what a woman’ll load onto a man’s back
是不是要小心一点?
when he ain’t looking?
对不起 船长 我… 我去在咖啡里加点糖
Excuse me, Cap, while l… sweeten my coffee.
都已经过世25年了 却从来不肯把她的视线移开
Dead and gone these twenty-five year and never takes her eyes off me.
我们那个年代的男人
Man of my years
在早上需要一点烈酒来加热一下”锅炉”
needs a little snort in the morning to heat the boilers.
是
Yeah.
我和一个陌生人在房♥间里谈过 他认识你父亲
I was talking to this stranger up at the boarding house. He knowed your dad.
他是在哪里认识爸爸的? -我就不忌讳了
Where’d he know Dad? – I’ll not hide it.
他是在蒙斯维尔监狱认识他的
He knowed him in the Moundsville Penitentiary.
我要走了 伯迪伯伯 -为什么 你刚来啊 孩子
I’ve got to go now, Uncle Birdie. – Why, you just got here, boy.
我答应过妈妈我会回到斯澎冰淇淋店的
I told Mom I’d be back to Spoon’s for Pearl.
上帝用一种神奇的方式完成他的奇蹟
God works in a mysterious way his wonders to perform.
是的 在哈珀兄弟的最后一刻我和他在一起
Yes, I was with Brother Harper right up to the end.
我现在不在那个监狱工作了
Now that I’m no longer employed by the penitentiary
对我来说 带给他一点安慰是我的荣幸
it is my joy to bring this small comfort to his loved ones.
你真是一个有能力 善良的人
It’s a mighty good man would go out of his way
你给一个悲痛的寡妇带来了一点安慰
to bring a word of cheer to a grieving widow.
那你不给州政♥府♥工作了?
So you ain’t with the state no more?
是的 我昨天辞职了
No, brother, I resigned only yesterday.
我已经无法再承受那些可怜人的心碎故事了
The heartrending spectacle of them poor men was just too much for me.
嗨 小家伙 你在盯着我的手指看
Ah, little lad, you’re staring at my fingers.
你要我告诉你右手和左手的故事吗?
Would you like me to tell you the little story of Righthand, Lefthand?
一个关于善良和邪恶的故事
The story of good and evil.
仇恨
H-ATE.
它在我的左手
It was with this left hand
大兄弟”该隐”一拳把他的兄弟打倒
that old Brother Cain struck the blow that laid his brother low.
爱
LO-VE.
看到这些手指了吗 小心肝?
See these fingers, dear hearts?
他们通过血脉通向人们的心灵
They has veins that run straight to the soul of man.
右手 朋友们 是爱之手
The right hand, friends. The hand of love.
现在看好 我来表演一下生命的故事
Now watch and I’ll show you the story of life.
这些手指互相敌对 互相牵引 一一相对
These fingers is always a-warring and a-tugging, one agin t’other.
看好
Now watch ’em.
大哥 左手
Old Brother Lefthand.
左手”恨”在战斗
Lefthand hates a-fighting.
看上去 “爱”已经快要不行了
And it looks like Love’s a goner.
但是 等一下
But wait a minute!
好极了 “爱”要胜利了
Hot dog! Love’s a?winning.
是的 先生 是”爱”胜利了
Yes, sirree. It’s Love that won.
左手”恨”输了
And old Lefthand Hate is down for the count.
我从来没听过这么棒的故事
I never heard it better told.
我真希望这个社区的每个人都能享受你的故事
I wish every soul in this community could get the benefit.
你一定要留下来参加星期天的野餐
You’ve just got to stay for our picnic Sunday.
不行 我必须上路去完成上帝给我的使命
No, I must wend my way downriver on the Lord’s business.
不要那么匆忙嘛 如果我们可以帮得上忙的话
You ain’t leaving in no hurry if we can help it.
约翰 注意礼节
John, mind your manners!
别做出那种表情 笑一点
Take that look off your face. Act nice.
他并不是故意这个样子的 对吧 孩子?
He don’t mean no impudence, do you, boy?
对吧 孩子?
Do you, boy?
可怜的本兄弟很多次提到这些孩子们
Many’s the time poor Brother Ben told me about these young ‘uns.
他说了些什么?
What did he tell you?
他告诉我你和你的妹妹都是他的小乖乖
He told me what fine little lambs you and your sister both was.
仅此而已?
Is that all?
不 孩子 他还告诉我很多很多事情
Why, no, boy. He told me lots and lots of things.
好的事情 孩子 -谢谢
Nice things, boy. – Thank you.
天啊 那些软糖闻起来很好吃的样子
My, that fudge smells yummy.
是为野餐准备的
It’s for the picnic.
除非你留下来参加野餐活动 不然我可不允许你吃它
And you don’t get a smidgen of my fudge unless you stayfor the picnic.
他的歌♥声是不是很悦耳啊?
Don’t he have the grandest singing voice?
约翰 珀尔 你们两个一起去玩吧
John! Pearl! Run along and play, you two.
去哪里玩? -去河边 我的天
Where? – Down by the river. My goodness!
那个小伙子看来想找个好女人安顿下来
That fella’s aching to settle down with some nice woman and make a home.
艾希 本刚刚过世 这样做太不好了…
Icey, it’s awful soon after Ben’s passing.
要是上帝给我一点兆头就好了…
If ever I saw a sign from heaven…
约翰好像不大喜欢他 -珀尔可很喜欢他呢
John don’t like him much. – Pearl dotes on him.
那孩子让我有点担心
The boy worries me.
我知道很荒唐 但我总觉得 他和他爸爸之间有什么事情…
I know it’s silly, but it’s like there’s something still between him and his dad.
他只不过是需要开心一点罢了
What he needs is a dose of salts.
对了 还有件事… -什么?
Oh, there’s something else. – What?
钱
The money.
依我看啊 威拉·哈珀
I declare, Willa Harper,
你是打算让钱的事烦恼你一辈子了
you’ll let that money haunt you to your grave.
艾希 要是哈里·鲍威尔不认为 是我把钱藏了起来
Icey, I would love to be satisfied
我会很高兴的
that Harry Powell don’t think I got that money hid somewhere.
你应该直接去问问那个牧师
You come right out and ask that man of God.
鲍威尔先生 把你灵魂深处的邪念清除掉
Mr Powell! Clear that evil mud out of your soul.
约翰 珀尔 过来 弄点软糖吃
John! Pearl! Come along here and get some fudge.
我不要软糖 -照我说的做
I don’t want no fudge. – You do what you’re told!
你去河那边坐下
You go set down by the river.
哦 艾希 那会很显眼的 -你少来了
Oh, Icey, I’m a sight. – Get along with you!
你…
You…!
她最好机灵点 否则别的聪明的女人就要把那个男人套住了
That young lady better look sharp or some smart sister is gonna snap him up.
她可不是世界上唯一的女人
She’s not the only fish in the river!
你们两个呆在这里别动
Now you two stay put. Shillyshallying around.
丈夫就像店里买♥♥来的一件商品
A husband’s one piece of store goods you never know
等到你带回家 拆开包装纸 你才会知道好坏
till you get it home and take the paper off.
本·哈珀有没有告诉过你 他把偷来的钱都藏哪里了?
Did Ben Harper ever tell you what he done with the money he stole?
我亲爱的 你不知道吗?
My dear child, don’t you know?
她真是在本·哈珀身上浪费了光阴
She’s mooning about Ben Harper.