趣味附注
Interesting side note,
喷气推进实验室就是这么建立的
this is actually how the Jet Propulsion Lab was founded.
加州理工的五个学生试图制♥造♥火箭燃料
Five guys at Caltech were trying to make rocket fuel…
差点没把宿舍烧了
and they nearly burned down their dorm.
但他们没有被开除
And rather than expel them…
而是被赶去了附近的农场
they banished them to a nearby farm,
说让他们继续研究
told them to keep working.
因此我们就有了太空项目
And now we have a space program.
好了
Okay.
你好呀
Hey, there.
国家很荣幸有马克为我们的太空项目效力
The nation was blessed to have Mark serving in our space program.
我们因失去他而深感悲痛
While his loss will be deeply felt…
NASA的全体成员将会勇往直前
The men and women of NASA will soldier forth…
肩负组织的使命不断前进提升
Onward and upward in the mission of their agency.
NASA局长
由此 他们将不辱马克的遗志
By doing so, they honor the legacy Mark’s leaving behind…
也将确保他死得其所
and they ensure his sacrifice will not be in vain.
休斯顿 得克萨斯州
火星任务主管 NASA
我有幸在此发言
I have the honor of speaking
不仅代表NASA的全体成员
not only for the men and women of NASA…
也代表了世界人♥民♥
but for people all over the world…
我觉得你的演讲不错
I thought you gave a lovely speech, by the way.
我需要你授权我的卫星观测
I need you to authorize my satellite time.
不可能
It’s not gonna happen.
我们有五次战神任务的经费
We’re funded for five Ares missions.
我觉得我能说服国会资助第六次
I think I can get Congress to authorize a sixth.
-不行 -战神三号♥在第18个火星日就撤离了
– No. – Ares 3 evac’d after 18 sols.
还有价值半次任务的物资在上面
There’s half a mission worth of supplies up there.
我可以将其按正常任务的小部分价格低价卖♥♥出
I can sell it at a fraction of of the cost of a normal mission…
我只想知道我们还剩什么
And all I have to know is what’s left of our assets.
不是只有你想用卫星观测
You’re not the only one who needs satellite time.
我们马上就要进行战神四号♥的补给任务
We’ve got the Ares 4 supply missions coming up.
现在更应关注夏帕瑞丽陨石坑
We should be focusing on the Schiaparelli crater.
可我们有12颗卫星呢
Okay, we got 12 satellites up there.
就抽空看一下
Surely we can spare a few hours…
这不是卫星观测的问题 文斯
It’s not about the satellite time, Vince.
我们是受到广大公众关注的
We’re a public domain organization.
这种事必须公开透明
We need to be transparent on this.
没错
Okay.
只要我们把卫星对准那里
The second we point the satellites at the hab…
就是向全世界直播马克·沃特尼的尸体
I broadcast pictures of Mark Watney’s dead body to the world.
你是担心出现公♥关♥危机
You’re afraid of a PR problem?
当然害怕了
Of course I’m afraid of a PR problem.
还想通过新任务
Another mission?
要是一个死去的宇航员
Congress won’t reimburse us for a paper clip…
上了《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》的头版头条
If I put a dead astronaut on the front page
国会一个子儿都不会拨给我们了
of the Washington post.
他会一直在的 泰迪 他
He’s not going anywhere, Teddy. I mean, he’s not…
他不会腐烂 你又不是不知道
He’s not gonna decompose, you know.
他会一直留在那儿
He’s gonna be up there forever.
气象学预计他的尸体 正常气象运动下
Meteorology estimates that he’ll be covered in sand…
一年内就会被黄沙掩埋
From normal weather activity within a year.
总不能等一年吧 我们还有工作
We can’t wait a year. We got work to do.
战神五号♥五年内都不可能发射
Ares 5 won’t even launch for five years.
时间多着呢
We have plenty of time.
好吧
Okay.
好
Okay.
好 你听我说
Okay, consider this.
现在 全世界都是站在我们这边的
Right now, the world’s on our side.
人们同情沃特尼一家人
Sympathy for the Watney family.
战神六号♥能把他的尸体带回来
Ares 6 could bring his body home.
并不是说这是战神六号♥的唯一目的
Now, we don’t say that’s the purpose of the mission…
但至少应该是其中的一部分
But we make it clear that that would be a part of it.
就这么定了
We frame it that way.
可以得到国会的支持 但不能再等一年
More support from congress. But not if we wait a year.
如果再等一年 谁都不在乎了
We wait a year, nobody gives a shit.
德克萨斯州 休斯敦 约翰森航♥天♥中心
NASA 卫星联络部
文森特·卡普尔
Vincent Kapoor?
查看以下坐标
纬度: 46°42′0″
经度: 22°0′ 0″
(46.7°, -22°)
文森特
6-2
6-2.
7-6-2
7-6-2.
阿西达里亚平原
Acidalia planitia.
怎么回事
What?
你好 警卫室吗
Hi. Security?
我是卫星监控室的明迪·帕克
This is Mindy Park in Satcon.
我需要紧急联络文森特·卡普尔
I need the emergency contact for Vincent Kapoor.
没错 就是他
Yes, him.
对 事情紧急
Yes, it’s an emergency!
有多大的可能性
How sure?
100%
100%.
信息部负责人
这是在逗我吗
You’ve got to be shitting me.
证明一下你的说法
Prove it to me.
首先
For a start…
太阳能发电板被清理了
The solar panels have been cleaned.
有可能是风吹干净的
They could have been cleaned by wind.
后退一点 看漫游者2号♥
Back it up. Look at Rover 2.
根据宇航日志
According to the logs,
第17个火星日指挥官露易丝把它拿出来
commander Lewis took it out on sol 17…
插到居住舱充电
Plugged it into the hab to recharge.
但是它的位置变了
It’s been moved.
有可能她挪走了但忘了记录
She could have forgotten to log the move.
不 不太可能
No, not likely.
为什么不问问露易丝
Why don’t we just ask Lewis?
让地面通讯直接问她
Let’s get on capcom and ask her directly right now.
不不 如果沃特尼真的还活着
No. No. If watney is really alive,
我们不能让战神三号♥的队员知道
we don’t want the Ares 3 crew to know.
怎么能不告诉他们
How can you not tell them?
他们再有十个月就能回来了
They have another 10 months on their trip home.
太空旅行很危险
Space travel is dangerous.
他们必须得集中精力 不能分神
They need to be alert and undistracted.
但他们都以为他死了
But they already think he’s dead.
如果发现他被活着抛弃在那儿
And they’d be devastated to find out
他们会更痛苦
they left him there alive.
可是你们都没有想清楚
I’m sorry, but you have not thought this through I mean.
我们怎么说啊 “亲爱的美国民众
What are we gonna say? “Dear America…
还记得我们之前那位牺牲了
Remember that astronaut we killed
还举办了盛大葬礼的宇航员吗
And had a really nice funeral for?
他没死 我们把他落在火星上了 抱歉
Turns out he’s alive and we left him on Mars. Our bad.
真诚的 NASA”
“Sincerely, NASA.”
你们意识到我们会受到多少唾骂吗
Do you realize the shitstorm that is about to hit us?
我们怎么应对民众
How are we going to handle the public?
按规定 24小时之后必须公布这些画面
Legally, we have 24 hours to release these pictures.
我们要随之发布一份声明
We release a statement with them.
不能让人们自己瞎琢磨
We don’t want people working it out on their own.
是 长官
Yes, sir.
但如果我没算错 我们派遣救援之前
But if my math is right, he’s going to starve to death
他就饿死了
long before we can help him.
你能想象他都经历了什么吗
Can you imagine what he’s going through up there?
他离家五千万英里
He’s 50 million miles away from home.
他独自一人
He thinks he’s totally alone.
觉得已经被我们抛弃
He thinks we gave up on him.
这会对一个人的心理产生多大的影响
What does that do to a man, psychologically?
他现在到底在想什么
What the hell is he thinking right now?
再让我听这么难听的迪斯科
I’m definitely gonna die up here…
我肯定会死在这里
If I have to listen to any more god-awful disco music.
天哪 露易丝指挥官
My god, commander Lewis,
你就没有点能跟上时代潮流的东西吗
couldn’t you have packed anything from this century?
不 我可不打算”舞力无限”
No, I am not gonna “Turn the beat around.”
我拒绝