我就是知道
I just knew.
为人丈夫的就是知道
A husband knows.
有人跳出来说他知道吗?
Will anyone else say they knew?
不要跟我说是你太太
And don’t say your wife.
我不晓得
I don’t know.
我不这么认为
I don’t think so.
你怎么进店里的?
How did you get into the store?
我拿了朵莉丝的钥匙
I took Doris’s keys.
前往的途中 到了店里 还有回来的途中有没有目击者?
Will anyone say they saw you there, on your way there, in there, on your way back?
我不这么认为
I don’t think so.
故事里头有没有同伙?
Will anyone corroborate any goddamn part of your story at all?
拜托 你们别再互相袒护了
Oh, come on! People, you can’t help each other like that.
我们要实际一点
Let’s be realistic, now.
让我们看看我们的选项 法兰克 我看不到有什么选项
Let’s look at our options. Well, frankly, I don’t see any options.
故事A也不行
Look, I cannot present story “A.” I cannot present
故事B也不通
story “B.”
我可以替烂案子辩护 但你们也夸张过头了
I could plead you for a nutcase, but you look too composed.
我可以认罪 但是他们还是不会让你好过
I could offer a guilty plea, and in return they don’t give you the juice,
我不认为你想要穿着囚衣度过余生
But I don’t think you want to spend the rest of your life in chino.
你雇用佛烈迪雷因史耐德
I know you didn’t hire Freddy Riedenschneider
并非要他执起你的手聆听宣判
To hold your hand at a sentencing hearing.
若要这样 去雇用洛伊盖洛瓦就行了
You could have gotten Lloyd Garroway for that.
不行不行 还不到绝望的地步
No, no, no, no. We’re not giving up yet.
你们雇用佛烈迪雷因史耐德 表示你不想随用随丢
You hired Freddy Riedenschneider, It means you’re not throwing in the towel.
我诉讼
I litigate.
不投降
I don’t capitulate.
没选择?我们来想想
All right. No options? We gotta think.
我们拉回黑函情节 正中下怀
All right. We go back to the blackmail thing. Yeah, it titillates.
打开了僵局 他被看成坏蛋了
It’s open-ended, and it makes him the bad guy.
你到处挖掘 却没想到会挖到他不堪的过去
You dig around, you never know. Something unsavory from his past.
他过去所为会伤害到他自己 于是他拿钱求你帮忙
He approaches you to help him with the money, his past comes back to haunt him. Who’s to say?
对了对了 把妒火中烧的丈夫抛开 很蠢
Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Forget the jealous husband thing. That’s just silly.
再来处理黑函 真的很难
We’re going with the blackmail. I’ll be in touch.
快有眉目了
I’m comin’ out!
当然会有一个人 可以肯定朵莉丝的说词
Of course there was one person who could confirm Doris’s story,
一大堆肯定
Or plenty of it.
那个干洗杂种
The dry-cleaning pansy.
为了躲饭店帐单 他落跑了
But he’d left the hotel, skipped out on his bill.
同时也从他给我的落脚地点消失了
He’d also disappeared from the residence he gave me,
留下两个月的房♥租债
Owing two months’rent.
我怎么会那么笨呢?
How could I have been so stupid?
一万块钱换了一张纸
Handing over $10,000 for a piece of paper.
那个人像鬼魂一般飘走了
And the man gone, like a ghost.
消失得无影无踪 就像长崎的日本人一样蒸发掉了
Disappeared into thin air vaporized like the nips at Nagasaki.
不见了
Gone now.
通通不见了
All gone.
钱不见了 老戴夫也不见了
The money gone, Big Dave gone,
朵莉丝也快不见了
Doris going.
我怎么会那么笨?
How could I have been so stupid?
每个人都要理发 早晚的问题
Sooner or later, everyone needs a haircut.
我们都是在为银行做事
We were working for the bank now.
我们努力不停理发赚钱 免于负债
We kept cutting the hair, trying to stay afloat,
缴交贷款 鸭子划水日复一日
Make the payments, tread the water day by day,
日复一日
Day by day.
大多数人觉得 某些人若因罪被控告
Most people think someone’s accused of a crime,
他们就会被拖去受审 实则不然
They haul ’em in and bring ’em to trial, But it’s not like that.
没那么快
It’s not that fast.
正义之轮转得慢
The wheels of justice turn slow.
有传讯之后才有起诉
They have the arraignment, then the indictment,
摇头晃脑再示意解散 择时择地再开庭审理
And they entertain motions to dismiss and postpone and change the venue…
改这改那 换东换西
And alter this and that and the other.
挑出的陪审团 都在比小动作
They impanel a jury, which bring more motions.
审讯日期一改再改
Then they set a trial date, and then they change the date.
日期敲定了马上又改
And then, often as not, they’ll change it again.
无罪 阁下
Not guilty, your honor.
经历了这些 我们还是在理发
And through all of it, we cut the hair.
这其间 佛烈迪雷因史耐德睡在大都会
Meantime, Freddy Riedenschneider slept at the Metropole…
在达文西餐厅大吃大喝
And shoveled it in at Da Vinci’s.
他从山克拉门都带来一位私♥家♥侦♥探♥
He’d brought in a private investigator from Sacramento…
大肆探查老戴夫的过往
To nose around into Big Dave’s past.
我发觉我自己 越来越勤跑阿邦达的家
I found myself, more and more, going over to the Abundas’s.
几乎每晚都去 成为常态
It was a routine we fell into most every evening.
华尔特因公远行我还是会去
I even went when Walter was away on his research trips.
他是系谱学者
He was a genealogist,
追溯过他家族以上七代
Had traced back his side of the family seven generations,
他晚婚的妻子则是八代
His late wife’s eight.
看起来像是种怪癖
It seemed like a screwy hobby,
也许正由于古怪才称得上癖好
But then maybe all hobbies are.
也许华尔特在旧的郡法♥院♥大楼 发掘出什么东西
Maybe Walter found something there in the old county courthouses,
医院档案室
Hospital file rooms,
都市地方志 资产名册
City archives, property rolls,
注册资料
Registries.
琳琅满目 就像在听博蒂弹钢琴
Something maybe like what I found listening to Birdy play.
有某种逃避
Some kind of escape.
有某种平静
Some kind of peace.
他们在德国找到这家伙
They got this guy in Germany.
费里兹(德国佬)什么的
Fritz something or other.
好像叫维纳才对 (译注: 维纳.海莱因是量子力学家)
Or is it… Maybe it’s Werner.
总之 他有个学说
Anyway… He’s got this theory.
测试要用科学方法
You want to test something, you know, scientifically…
行星怎么环绕太阳的
How the planet go ’round the sun,
太阳黑子怎么形成的
What sunspots are made of,
水怎么从水龙头冒出来的
Why the water comes out of the tap…
你必须去观察
Well, you gotta look at it.
但是有时候观察
But sometimes you look at it…
你的观察改变了观察对象
Your looking changes it.
你会搞不清楚实际发生了什么事
You can’t know the reality of what happened,
或者说应该发生什么事
Or what would have happened,
假如你没有挖该死的鼻孔的话
If you hadn’t stuck in your own goddamn schnozz.
所以 根本没有”发生什么事”
So there is no “What happened.”
观察某件事
Looking at something…
就会改变它
Changes it.
他们称之为测不准原理
They call it the uncertainty principle.
听起来有点古怪 连爱因斯坦都说那家伙的学说有点料
Sure, it sound screwy, but even Einstein says the guy’s onto something.
科学
Science.
感官
Perception.
真实
Reality.
要存疑
Doubt.
合理 要存疑
Reasonable… doubt.
我要讲的是: 观察得越多
I’m saying that sometimes the more you look,
知道的真♥相♥越少
the less you really know.
一件事实 经过验证的事实
It’s a fact, a proved fact.
从某种角度来看
In… In a way,
那是唯一的事实
It’s the only fact there is.
那个费里兹甚至用数据写出来
This Heinie even wrote it out in numbers.
伯恩斯?
Burns?
主题: 大卫艾伦布鲁斯特
Subject: David Allen Brewster,
1911年在布鲁克林出生
Born Brooklyn, 1911.
公立学校受教育 西部保留大学读一年
Subject educated public schools. One year case western university.
遭退学
Flunks out.
1931年辛辛那提的邦福氏百货商 零售器具部的推销员
1931, Retail appliance salesman in Barnhoff’s department store, Cincinnati.
1933年跟安尼德霖格结婚
1933, Meets Ann Nirdlinger. They marry that year.
1935年被控人身攻击遭逮捕
1935, Arrested on assault complaint.
打断人家的鼻子跟两根肋骨
Complainant has a broken nose, couple of broken ribs.
1936年被控于酒馆里争吵动粗
’36, Another assault beef at a bar room altercation.
动粗两次 对吧?跳到服务纪录去
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Couple of fistfights, right? Go to his service record.
包括1942年3月15日
Inducted march 15, 1942.
圣地亚哥海军军舰造船厂担任神职
Served in a clerical capacity in the U.S. Naval shipyards at San Diego.
打架一次 被宪兵制止
One fistfight, broken up by the M.P.S.
没上过军事法庭 1945年5月8日光荣退伍
No court-martial. Honorable discharge, may 8, 1945.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!