现在纺织业恢复了平静和理智,我觉得我有责任揭露最近这场危机背后的真实故事,我们当时很高兴能把这个故事排除在报纸之外。
‘Now that calm and sanity have returned to the textile industry, ‘l feel it my duty to reveal something of the true story ‘behind the recent crisis, ‘a story which we were, happily,’able to keep out of the newspapers at the time.
“麻烦不是在我自己的工厂开始的,我很高兴地说,‘而是在我参观迈克尔·考兰的工厂时,’这家工厂生产一种类似于我自己的人造纤维。
“The trouble began, not in my own mill, I’m glad to say, ‘but during my visit to the mill owned by Michael corland, ‘which manufactures an artificial fibre similar to my own.
“考兰是个风度翩翩的年轻人,”他似乎给我女儿留下了很深的印象。
‘Corland is a personable young man, ‘who seemed to have impressed my daughter.
他还急于让我相信他的工厂是一项可靠的金融投资
‘He was also anxious to impress me ‘with the idea that his mill was a sound financial investment.’
输出是优秀的。每天六百万码的灯丝。
output is excellent. Six million yards of filament a day.
——有多少?-六百万。
– How many? – Six million.
没错,对吧,希尔?
That’s right, isn’t it, hill?
六百万英尺。是的,corland先生。
Six million feet. Yes, mr corland.
-当然是英尺了。——当然。
– Feet, of course. – Of course.
早上好。我要和柯兰先生还有我父亲一起吃午饭。
Good morning. I’m lunching here with mr corland and my father.
他们还在磨坊周围搜查,伯恩利小姐。
They’re still looking around the mill, miss birnley.
你能在corland先生的房♥间里等一下吗?
Would you care to wait in mr corland’s off…?
嗯…迈克尔。你好,爸爸。早上好,希尔先生。
Um… Michael. Hello, daddy. Good morning, mr hill.
达芙妮,请别打断我。
Now, now, Daphne, please don’t interrupt.
我正在进行一次极具启发性的旅行。是这条路吗?
I’m having a most illuminating tour. Is it this way?
-这边走,伯恩利先生。-这边走。谢谢你!
– This way, mr birnley. – Oh, this way. Thank you.
-最近怎么样?——粘性。
– How’s it going? – Sticky.
-怎么,他说什么了?——哦,什么都没有。这是麻烦的。
– Why, what does he say? – Oh, nothing. That’s the trouble.
那只是他的”行业老大”行为。
Oh, that’s only his “kingpin of industry” act.
“纺织业辉煌的四十年。”不要让这件事打击你。
“Forty glorious years in textiles.” Don’t let it get you down.
我相信他会把你想要的钱都投出来的。
I’m sure he’ll put up all the money you want.
-抱歉…先生-来吧。来吧。
– Sorry… sir. – Come on. Come on.
当然,这远不及你在伯恩利餐厅的待遇。
Of course, it’s hardly up to what you have at birnleys.
相当。
Quite.
呃…比如,先生,请这边走。
Er… for instance, sir, if you’d step this way.
格林先生,也许你可以给伯恩利先生看看你最近在做的东西。
Mr green, perhaps you would show mr birnley the latest thing you’ve been working on.
等一下,绿色的。
Just a moment, green.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
这是什么?
What’s this?
我真的不能说,伯恩利先生。格林先生吗?
I really couldn’t say, mr birnley. Mr green?
-也许你能解释一下。——呃……很乐意。
– Perhaps you would explain. – Er… gladly.
这是,呃……
Well, it’s, er…
显然,这是,呃……
Obviously, it’s, er…
-威尔金斯先生?——是的,先生?
– Mr Wilkins? – Yes, sir?
——是,呃……这你的吗?——不,先生。
– Is, er… this yours? – No, sir.
哈里森?
Harrison?
——你的吗?——不,先生。
– Yours? – No, sir.
我以为是…他的
I thought it was… his.
这有关系吗,真的吗?
Well, does it matter, really?
-只是兴趣问题。——Fotheringay ?
– Merely a matter of interest. – Fotheringay?
呃…你能给我们一点时间吗?
Er… could you spare us a moment?
这是什么?
What is this?
难道你不知道吗?
Don’t you know?
我觉得那是个特殊的工作。
I think it was a special job.
为谁?
Who for?
来吧,来吧。谁批准的?
Come along, come along. Who authorised it?
显然你做。
Apparently you did.
当然,格林先生,你一定知道你做了还是没做。
Surely, mr green, you must know whether you did or you didn’t.
这又有什么关系呢?我觉得你太…一定有一些非常普通的解释。
What does it matter, anyway? I think you’re being very ru… There must be some quite ordinary explanation.
嗯,当然…这是荒谬的。那东西不可能生长在那里。
Well, of course it… It’s ridiculous. The thing can’t have grown there.
希尔先生,请您查明这是怎么回事?
Mr hill, will you please find out what this is all about?
是的,先生。格林,跟财务部核实一下。
Yes, sir. Green, check with the accounts department.
当然可以。把订单号♥给他们。
Of course. Take them the order number.
嗯,很好,先生。马上,先生。3-7-8-2-53-7-8-2-5 3-7-8-2-53-7-8-2-5_
Uh, very good, sir. Right away, sir. 3-7-8-2-53-7-8-2-5 3-7-8-2-53-7-8-2-5_
我很抱歉。我真的不该问这些问题。
I’m so sorry. I really shouldn’t start asking questions.
-恰恰相反。我们的午餐吗?——是的。
– On the contrary. Shall we lunch? – Yes.
我觉得你什么都见过了。
I think you’ve seen just about everything.
是的,我想我见过。
Yes, I think I have.
3-7-8-2-5
3-7-8-2-5
在这儿。
here it is.
£40007 ?
£40007?
-花在什么上面?-氢,长官,重氢。
– But spent on what? – Hydrogen, sir. Heavy hydrogen.
这绝对是胡说八道!
This is absolute nonsense!
哦,看在上帝的份上!
Oh, for heaven’s sake!
我想以材料和设计为目标,结合古老的英国手工织布机的优点和简单,以及佛兰芒或普罗旺斯的颜色和火焰。
I want to aim at materials and designs, combining the strengths and simplicity of the old english hand-loom weavers, with the colour and fire of the flemish or provencal.
现在,如果我有额外的10万…-打扰一下,先生-午饭后,希尔
Now, if I had an extra 100,000… – Excuse me, sir. – After lunch, hill.
-非常紧急。-午饭后,希尔。
– It’s very urgent. – After lunch, hill.
我说到哪儿了?
Now, where was I?
你不能让我们妨碍你做任何重要的事。
Well, you mustn’t let us keep you from anything vital.
不,它没有。什么都不重要。
No, it’s nothing. Nothing at all.
怎么了,迈克尔?
What is it, Michael, hm?
没什么。打扰一下,可以吗?
It’s nothing. Excuse me, will you, please?
我告诉他这跟我没关系。
Well, I told him it was nothing to do with me.
-威尔金斯先生!——是吗?
– Mr Wilkins! – Yes?
柯兰先生找你。他的账户。
Mr corland wants you. He’s in accounts.
哈里森先生!
Mr Harrison!
他们也想要你,在财务部。
They want you too, in accounts.
原谅我。你能告诉我corland先生在哪里吗?
Excuse me. Could you tell me where mr corland is, please?
Stratton !柯兰先生找你!
Stratton! Mr corland wants you!
不,考兰先生,你不能解雇我。我辞职。
No, mr corland, you’re not firing me. I resign.
我不是骗子,也不是骗子。
I’m not a cheat nor a swindler.
我这么做是因为我别无选择。
I did what I did because there was no other way.
但在剑桥,他们给了我一等奖学金和奖学金。
But at Cambridge they gave me a first and a fellowship.
要不是他们目光如此短浅,我还会在那里。
I would be there still, if they hadn’t been so shortsighted.
就像你和其他我工作过的人一样。
Just as you are and all the others I’ve worked for.
但总有一天会有一个真正有远见的人。
But one day there’ll be someone with real vision.
我会有一个实验室给我。
I shall have a laboratory given to me.
一个配备现代化设备的实验室。
A proper laboratory with really modern equipment.
还有我自己的助手。不,别打断我。
And assistants of my own. No, don’t interrupt me.
正是像你这样心胸狭窄的人挡住了你前进的道路。
It’s small minds like yours that stand in the way of progress.
但这件事太重要了,比你更重要…
But this is too big a thing, bigger than you…
我看你已经被解雇了。
I see you’ve been discharged from your last six positions.
– 7。——哦。
– Seven. – Oh.
也许换个环境……哦,不,一定是纺织厂。
Oh, well, perhaps a change of environment might… Oh, no, it must be a textile mill.
我看到伯恩利工厂有个空缺,但是…——Birnleys ?——是的,但是……他们有研究实验室,不是吗?
I see there’s a vacancy at the birnley mill, but… – Birnleys? – Yes, but… They have a research lab, haven’t they?
恐怕这不符合你的条件。
I’m afraid this hardly suits your qualifications.
-他们想要一个工人。-哦,那很适合我。
– They want a works labourer. – Oh, that’ll suit me.
-那是个放它的好地方!——对不起。
– That’s a nice place to leave it! – Sorry.
——对不起。-别客气。
– Sorry. – Don’t mention it.
-你装得太重了。——有我吗?
– You’ve got it loaded too heavy. – Have I?
你想把它留在上面,这样你就能看到顶部了。
You want to leave it so you can see over the top.
哦。是的,当然。谢谢。
Oh. Yes, of course. Thanks.
-新来的,不是吗?——呃……是的。
– New, aren’t you? – Er… yes.
-从没在工厂工作过?-哦,是的,有好几次。
– Never worked in a mill before? – Oh, yes, several.
我知道。离开学校,进入第一份没有前途的工作。
I know. Leave school, into the first blind-alley job that comes along.
太老了。变成一个又一个。
Too old for that. Into another and another.
30岁的时候,你是多少?
By the time you’re 30, what are you?
漂浮在利润洪流上的漂浮物。
Flotsam floating on the flood tide of profits.
这就是资本主义。
There’s capitalism for you.
事实并非如此。
It wasn’t quite like that.
我获得了剑桥大学的奖学金。
I got a scholarship to Cambridge.
但你没有学校的老领带。
But you hadn’t got the old school tie.
你不能告诉我。歧视。
Oh, you can’t tell me. Discrimination.
我看过很多。你要带这些人去哪?
I’ve seen plenty. Where were you going with this lot?
我想他们管这叫卸货区。
The loading bay, I think they call it.
反正你走错路了。这是那里。
You were going the wrong way, anyhow. It’s down there.
茶了。让它更好。
Tea up. Better leave it.
哦,茶吗?不,谢谢。我想我宁愿……茶休息!我们必须为之奋斗。
Oh, tea? No, thanks. I think I’d rather… Tea break! We had to fight for it.
请稍等。
Just a moment.
看,呃…我们最好帮你。这是非常微妙的。
Look, er… we’d better help you with it. It’s very delicate.
是的,先生,皮特,帮我们一把。
Yes, sir. Pete, give us a hand with this.
给这些先生们拿些工作服。
And get these gentlemen some overalls.
嗯,sid在哪儿?Sid !
Well, where’s sid? Sid!
——Sid !-不,不,完全错了。
– Sid! – No, no, quite wrong.
Sid !
Sid!
-它要去哪里?-去实验室。
– Where’s it got to go? – Up to the lab.
-这是一个电子…电唱机……-电子显微镜。
– It’s an electro… electrola… – An electron microscope.
啊,终于!
Ah, at last!
我们最好去检查一下。
We’d better go and check this over.
嗯,这是一份很好的工作。
Mm, it’s a beautiful job.