嗯,为什么?我不应该在这里
– Hm? Why? – I shouldn’t be here.
我叫她进来的,她很想听你的广播
I asked Miss Cannon in. She was anxious to hear your broadcast.
最后被取消了,白忙乎了,安吉拉
Cancelled at the last minute. Pity we hurried as we did, Angela.
直到差不多九点
We didn’t leave the War Office
我们还没有离开战争办公室
till five-and-twenty to nine.
有封战争办公室的信,今天下午来的
There’s a War Office letter, sir. It came this afternoon.
保罗·雷诺退休了,皮坦尼是首相了
Paul Reynaud has resigned. Petain is Prime Minister.
– 坏消息 – 什么?
Bad news. – What?
哦,对,坏消息
Oh, yes, bad news.
雪利酒吗,先生?
Sherry, sir?
嗯,是的
Er…yes.
雪利酒吗,小姐?
Sherry, miss?
– 雪利酒?舒…先生? – 好的,谢谢
– Sherry, Mr Sch… Sir? – Yes, please.
谢谢
Thank you.
你的未婚夫怎样?
How is your fiance?
– 不是我的未婚夫 – 哦,对不起
– He’s not my fiance. – Oh, beg your pardon.
– 你的男朋友好吗? – 他正在接受委任
– How is your boyfriend? – He’s getting a commission.
哦,祝贺他
Oh, congratulations.
– 我要走了 – 不,再等等
– I ought to go, you know. – No, no. Stay a bit longer.
干杯
Cheers.
干杯
Down the hatch.
你的申请有消息吗?
Any news about your application?
– 拒绝了,敌国侨民 – 但你是个专家
– Turned down. Enemy alien. – But you’re an expert.
– 为什么不问他?他认识所有人 – 他当时走了
– Why didn’t you ask him? He knows everybody. – He was away.
晚餐准备好了,先生
Dinner’s served, sir.
好的
Yes.
我走了,先生,还要用车吗?
I’m going, sir. Do you want the car any more?
我带了另一个位子
I brought an extra cover, sir.
坐下,安吉拉,西奥
Sit down, Angela…Theo.
– 你们都坐下 – 谢谢,我吃过晚餐了
– Sit down, both of you. – Thank you, sir, I’ve had my dinner.
再吃一次,安吉拉
Have another one, Angela.
如果是因为害怕和你的将军同座,那就不必担心
If you’re worried about sitting down with your general, then stop worrying.
我不再是将军了
I’m not a general any more.
克莱夫,发生什么事了?
Clive, what has happened?
又退休了,裁员,他们不再需要我了
Retired again. Axed. They don’t need me any more.
对不起
I’m sorry, sir.
我明白你的感受
I…I know how that feels.
不,你不知道
No, you don’t.
发生在我头上时,我刚刚45岁
I was barely 45 when it happened to me.
不同,你是被逼的
Different kettle of fish. You were made to do it.
但我们还没完
But we’re not finished.
我也没有,刚开始
Nor am l. Just starting.
我常想,像我这样,有特殊知识的人死了真可惜
I’ve often thought, a fellow like me dies – special knowledge – awful waste.
我死了吗?
Well, am I dead?
我的知识没用了吗?经验,本领?
Does my knowledge count for nothing? Experience, skill?
你告诉我
You tell me.
他们需要不同的知识了,克莱夫
It is a different knowledge they need now, Clive.
敌人不同了,所以你也得不同
The enemy’s different, so you have to be different too.
你疯了吗?我知道战争是什么
Are you mad? I know what war is.
– 我同意 – 你…
– I don’t agree. – You…
我读了你描述法国崩溃的观点
I read your broadcast up to the point where you described the collapse of France.
你评论纳粹的方式:肮脏的战斗,轰炸难民
You commented on Nazi methods – foul fighting, bombing refugees,
机♥枪♥扫射医院,救生船,飞行员等等
machine-gunning hospitals, lifeboats, bailed-out pilots and so on –
你那样说,蔑视了他们
by saying that you despised them,
你以与他们并肩作战为耻,如果只有那些方法能取胜
that you would be ashamed to fight on their side and that you’d sooner accept defeat than victory
你会选择失败多过胜利
if it could only be won by those methods.
我会的
So I would.
如果你只因觉得,不能以同样方式对付他们
Clive, if you let yourself be defeated by them just because you are too fair to hit back
而被他们击败
the same way they hit at you,
除了纳粹方法外,别无他法
there won’t be any methods but Nazi methods.
如果你严守陈规,而他们却不择手段
If you preach the rules of the game while they use every foul and filthy trick against you,
他们会笑你的
they’ll laugh at you.
他们会认为你软弱颓废
They’ll think you are weak, decadent.
在1919年,我自己这样想
I thought so myself in 1919.
上次战争,我听过了
I heard all that in the last war.
当时他们不择手段
They fought foul then
谁赢了
and who won it?
我不认为是你赢了
I don’t think you won it.
我们失败了,你们也失去了一些东西
We lost it, but you lost something too.
你们忘了学习道德
You forgot to learn the moral.
因为你们胜了,20年前你们就没有吸取教训
Because victory was yours, you failed to learn your lesson 20 years ago.
现在要为此付出代价了
And now you have to pay the school fees again.
有人会学的快点,有人永远也学不会
Some of you will learn quicker than the others. Some will never learn it.
因为你们被教育成和平和战时都是绅士和运动员
Because you’ve been educated to be a gentleman and a sportsman in peace and in war.
但是,克莱夫
But, Clive…
亲爱的老克莱夫
..dear old Clive…
这不是绅士的战争
..this is not a gentleman’s war.
这次你们要竭尽所能了
This time you are fighting for your very existence,
与人类最恶毒的思想作斗争
against the most devilish idea ever created by a human brain.
纳粹主义
Nazism.
如果你们失败了
And if you lose…
明年没有下次了
..there won’t be a return match next year.
可能一百年都没有
Perhaps not even for a hundred years.
哦,你
Oh, you…
你一定介意我一个外侨说这些
you mustn’t mind me, an alien, saying all this.
但谁能比被狗咬过,现在已是免疫的人
But who can describe hydrophobia better than one who’s been bitten…
更能形容狂犬病呢?
..and is now immune?
你看,安吉拉,即使是最好的朋友也落井下石
Well, you see, Angela, even one’s best friend lets one down.
我不这么认为,先生
I don’t think so, sir.
你也这样?幸灾乐祸?
You too, eh? Kick a fellow when he’s down, what?
没有人会那样对你,只是你得转变了
Nobody would ever kick you, sir. You’ve just got to change over, that’s all.
转变?变成怎样?
Change over? To what?
好了,一份新工作对于男人来说很简单
Well, a new job. It’s easy enough for a man.
你这样想,嗯?在激流中换马
You think so, eh? Swap horses in midstream.
这场战争中,很多人都得这么做
A lot of people have had to do it in this war, sir.
– 比淹死好 – 妙,安吉拉,以后我叫你约翰尼了
– It’s better than drowning. – Bravo, Angela. I shall call you Johnny in future.
她说到点子上了
She’s hit the nail on the head.
我不懂你,你不该这么容易就放弃
I don’t know you. You shouldn’t give up so easily, my boy.
这是40年前,风雨中拿下柏林的人吗?
Is this the same man who took Berlin by storm 40 years ago?
看我,没有人要我,但我放弃了吗?
Look at me. Nobody wants me, but do I give up?
没人要你,你是个专家
Nobody wants you and you’re an expert.
除了带兵,我一无所知
I don’t know anything but soldiering.
显然,甚至那也不行
Not even that, apparently.
地方军怎样?他们需要领导,他们正成长为军队
What about the Home Guard, sir? They need leaders. They’re becoming an army.
– 如果我们受到侵略,他们是第一道防线 – 你认识所有人
– If we’re invaded, they’re our first defence. – There you are. You know everybody.
你能给他们提供武器教官和装备
You could get them arms and instructors and equipment.
噢,这是个很好的事
Oh, what a job.
– 组织一个新军队 – 地方军,嗯?
– Forming a new army. -Home Guard, eh?
是的,我自己来告诉你
Yes, sir. I was going to tell you myself, sir.
你醉了,默多克,告诉我什么?
You’re drunk, Murdoch. Tell me what?
我加入了地方军
That I joined the Home Guard, sir.
– 你? – 是的,我的汤有问题吗?
– You? – Yes, sir. Anything wrong with the soup, sir?
还没碰过,谁知道
How should anybody know if they haven’t touched it?
拿开,默多克一等兵
Take it away, Lance Corporal Murdoch.
默多克中士
Sergeant Murdoch, sir.
你总是在干什么?
What have you been doing, sir, all this time?
没什么,除了说话
Nothing, you blockhead, except talk.
但,现在看
But watch now.
(爆♥炸♥)
(Explosion)
(唱歌♥)
Be it ever so humble
(唱歌♥)
There’s no place like home…
你好,是什么?
Hello, what’s this?
出来
Come out.
投环,套物用的
Hm. Do for hoopla, anyway.
这边,茶
There you go, boys – tea.
老婆,两个盆
Oi, missus. Two basins for me and my old china.
– 噢 – 吓你一跳了
– Ooh. – Get your skates on.
看这个,克莱夫·韦恩·肯迪少将
See this? Major General Clive Wynne-Candy.
啊,什么名字? 倒满
Blimey, what a moniker. Fill it up.
搬到皇家浴室俱乐部了,皮卡迪利大街
Removed to Royal Bathers’ Club, Piccadilly.