货币贬值
Money lost its value.
商品涨价
The price of everything rose…
除了生命
except of human beings.
报纸上说,战后到处都一样艰难
We read in the papers that the after-war years were bad everywhere.
罪案上升
That crime was increasing
诚实的市民无法将暴徒绳之以法
and honest citizens were having a hard job to put the gangsters in jail.
我无需告诉你,在德国
Well, I needn’t tell you, sir, that in Germany
暴徒最终成功地将诚实市民投入了监狱
the gangsters finally succeeded in putting the honest citizens in jail.
我妻子是英国人
My wife was English.
她会喜欢回英国的
She would have loved to come back to England.
但看来,我辜负了我的国家
But it seemed to me that I would be letting down my country in its greatest need.
因此她留在了我这边
And so she stayed at my side.
在33年夏天我们发现
When, in summer ’33, we found…
我们失去了我们的孩子,掉进了纳粹集团
that we had lost our children to the Nazi party,
我愿意前来
and I was willing to come,
她却去世了
she died.
没有一个儿子参加她的葬礼
None of my sons came to her funeral.
希♥特♥勒♥万岁
Heil Hitler.
然后在35年1月,我得去柏林公干
And then, in January ’35, I had to go to Berlin on a mission for my firm.
开着车,我在城市的郊区迷路了
Driving up in my car, I lost my way on the outskirts of the city,
突然,风景变得熟悉
and suddenly…the landscape seemed so familiar to me.
慢慢地我发现,那路那湖
And slowly I recognised…the road, the lake…
我住了几周的疗养院
..and a nursing home where I spent some weeks recovering…
差不多40年前
..almost 40 years ago.
我停下车,静静地坐着回忆着
I stopped the car and sat still…remembering.
就在这个疗养院,我第一次遇见我的夫人
And… You see, in this very nursing home, sir, I met my wife for the first time.
我遇到后来成了我伟大朋友的英国人
And I met an Englishman who became my greatest friend.
我还记得,19年火车站的人们遣送我们战俘回家
And I remembered the people at the station in ’19, when we prisoners were sent home…
对我们欢呼,像朋友一样招待我们
cheering us, treating us like friends.
围桌而坐的名人的脸
The faces of a party of distinguished men around a table,
当我们国家的战败让我无法忍♥受时,他们全力安慰我
who tried their utmost to comfort me when the defeat of my country seemed to me unbearable.
可笑的是…
And…very foolishly…
我想起英国的乡下
..I remembered the English countryside,
花♥园♥,绿油油的草坪
the gardens, the green lawns,
长满杂草的小溪,还有树木
the weedy rivers and the trees…
她多么喜爱
..she loved so much.
我有极大冲动,要回到我妻子的国家
And a great desire came over me to come back to my wife’s country.
就这样,先生,事实
And this, sir, is the truth.
(外面的交通)
(Traffic outside)
在我们国家,有谁很了解你?英国平民?
Haven’t you got anyone in this country who knows you well? A British citizen?
我工作的化工厂的门卫
The doorman at the chemical works where I offered my services.
鲍尔大街外侨部的警♥察♥
The police officers at the Aliens’ Department at Bow Street.
岗哨
Sentry.
你不认识克莱夫·韦恩·肯迪少将吗?
Don’t you know Major General Clive Wynne-Candy?
认识,曾经认识
Yes, sir, I used to know him.
要他来这里为你作证吗?
Did you ask him to come here and testify on your behalf?
是的,我写过一封信给他
Yes, I did send him a letter,
但,我想他
but I suppose he…
西奥,亲爱的朋友,让我好好看看你
Theo, my dear chap. Let’s have a good look at you.
感谢上帝,你比我保持得还好
By God, you’ve kept your figure better than I have.
有点大肚腩
Bit of a bay window, what?
如果这个家伙不喜欢我们,我不会奇怪的
You see, sir, I wouldn’t be surprised if this fellow disliked us.
他一生中来过两次英国
He comes to England twice in his life.
第一次是战俘,第二次差不多是战俘
The first time he’s a prisoner, and the second time he’s about to be one.
可以和他谈谈吗?我没见他有19年…
May I talk to him, sir? I haven’t seen him for 19…
– 20年了 – 20年多一点
– 20. -20 years and a bit.
不是这里,将军,我们有很多克雷奇马尔·舒尔多夫等着
Not here, General. We have many Kretschmar-Schuldorffs waiting.
你意思是,我奔波11小时过来
Do you mean to say that I’ve travelled 11hours from…mustn’t say where…
你却不准我与他说句话?
and you won’t allow me to have a word with a condemned man?
– 你马上要回去吗? – 明天一大早
– Do you have to go back this minute? – Tomorrow. Infernally early.
那好,你可以和他谈一整天午夜前
That’s all right. You can talk to him all day and all night, till midnight.
外侨部的晚钟声,你知道的
Aliens’ curfew, you know.
– 我可以带他走吗? – 只要你说你认识他
– And I can take him with me? – If you say you know him.
– 我认识他吗? – 能为他作担♥保♥吗?
– Do I know him? – And will stand surety for him?
尽我所能,先生
With everything I have, sir.
(钟滴嗒声)
(Clock ticks)
(钟报时)
(Clock chimes)
– 我得走了 – 还早
– It’s time I was going. – The night’s young yet.
不记得吗?外侨的晚钟
Don’t you remember? Curfew for aliens.
– 哦,对 – 我午夜前得回去
– Oh, yes. – I have to be at home by midnight.
别忘了先生,你得六点钟起床
Don’t forget, sir, you’ve to be up at six.
– 早上的阅兵,嗯? – 是
– Early parade, eh? – Aye.
你好幸运,克莱夫
How lucky you are, Clive.
是的,他们35年将我列入退休名单
Yes, they put me on the retired list in ’35,
但我知道,他们还需要我
but I knew they’d want me again.
像子弹一样,我又回来了
Back I went on the active list like a shot.
我说
I mean…
为什么不留下?我有18个房♥间
Why don’t you stay? I’ve 18 rooms.
– 默多克,帮忙 – 谢谢
– Murdoch, rally round. – Thank you.
还是不要,得有特别允许
I’d better not. I would need a special permit anyway.
好了,默多克,不用了
All right, Murdoch, as you were.
再呆一会儿,我开车送你回去
Stay a little longer. I’ll send you home by car.
默多克,叫坎农小姐十一点四十五分过来
Murdoch, tell Miss Cannon to be here by quarter to twelve.
– 好的 – 谁是坎农小姐?
– Very good, sir. – Who is Miss Cannon?
坎农小姐?我的司机
Miss Cannon? My driver. MTC.
记得吗,克莱夫?我们曾说过
Do you remember, Clive, we used to say,
“我们的军队,是为我们的妇女儿童和家庭而战”?
“Our armies are fighting for our women, our children and our homes”?
现在妇女与男人并肩作战
Now the women are fighting beside the men.
孩子训练开枪,只剩下家了
The children are being trained to shoot. What’s left is the home.
但没有女人和孩子的家是什么?
But what is the home without women and children?
你从没见过我妻子,看看她的照片吗?
You never met my wife. Would you like to see a picture of her?
非常
Very much.
还记得,那是我唯一能说的英语吗?
Do you remember when that was all I was able to say in English?
非常
Very much.
– 你比我更进一步了 – 哪方面?
– You got further with them than I ever got. – In what respect?
别告诉我你不知道
Dash it, don’t tell me you didn’t know.
知道什么?
Knew what?
你让我脸红了
Well, you make me blush.
不知道你在讲什么
I don’t know what you’re talking about.
我想在我02年离开柏林时,那全写在了我脸上
I thought it was written all over my face when I left Berlin in ’02.
别忘了,你离开后我没见过你的脸
Don’t forget, I never saw your face after you left.
我爱上了她,你的妻子
I was in love with her. Your wife.
她从没告诉我
She never told me.
她从不知道
She never knew.
但我好像记得
But I seem to remem…
哦,最后一天在柏林,我告诉你时,你好像真的很高兴
Oh, Clive, that last day in Berlin when I told you, you seemed genuinely happy.
我当时不知道
Dash it, I didn’t know then.
但在火车上我开始想她,在船上更厉害了
But on the train I started to miss her. On the boat it was worse.
回到伦敦前,我想通了
By the time I got back to London, well, I’d got it properly.
我的玛格丽特姨妈察觉了,女人对那些东西有天分
My Aunt Margaret got onto the scent right away. Women have a nose for these things.
另外,我做了一件傻事
Besides, I did a stupid thing.
回来的第一天晚上,我带她姐姐出来
The first night back, I took out her sister.
– 玛格丽特姨妈的? – 伊迪丝的
– Aunt Margaret’s? – Edith’s.
– 谁?玛撒? – 是的
– Who? Martha? – Yes.
有什么傻的?
What’s stupid about that?
想着她姐姐会长得像她一样
Thinking her sister would be like she was.
像伊迪丝
Like Edith?
是的
Yes.
你熬过了
Well…you got over it.
就这个,我从没有克服
That’s just it. I never got over it.
西奥,听起来是跟你说是蠢得要命,但
Theo, this may sound a damned silly thing to say to you, but…
我从没有克服
I never got over it.
你可以说,她是我的梦中情人
You may say that she was my ideal…
如果你是某种长发诗人
if you were some sort of sickening long-haired poet.
我一生中总在寻找一个像她的女人
All my life I’ve been looking for a woman like her.
现在你知道了
So now you know.
我从没想到,一个英国人会有这么浪漫
Well, er…I never thought it possible that an Englishman could be so romantic.
你的妻子呢?
And your wife?
不介意我问你,你爱她吗?
You don’t mind me asking you… but you loved her?
爱,非常爱
Yes…dreadfully.