but at a certain point, other biological factors come into play.
但到了一定时候 别的人性因素就会发挥作用
Our bodies weren’t really designed for group social life.
我们的身体并不是为群体生活而设计的
A certain amount of pairing off was always part of the original plan.
一定数量的配对游戏是天生就注定的
God, I can’t believe you’d say that. What?
天啊 真不敢相信你会这么说 什么?
What did I say?
我说什么了?
What you mean to say is that they’ve all gone back to screw their brains out.
你想说他们都回家干个天昏地暗了
No, I didn’t say that. I said they were going to pair off.
不 我可没说 我是说他们想玩配对
Well, wait. Don’t go.
等等 别走啊
I didn’t mean to say anything anybody could be offended by.
我不想说什么得罪人的话
Oh, thank God. He’s here. Des, Bernie regrets what happened.
谢天谢地 他在这儿 德斯 伯尼反悔了
It was a mistake, and he wants you back.
他犯了个错 现在想请你回去
I’m sorry.
对不起
I know why you’re so upset.
我知道你为什么郁闷
I mean, I know what really happened with Tom. What?
我知道汤姆的真实遭遇了 什么?
That he thought you were really slutty or something. That’s so stupid.
他认为你是个随便的女人 那太蠢了
You can’t worry about what misinterpreters think.
别在意那些误解
That’s so unfair.
太不公平了
Come back to my place. We should talk.
回我家吧 我们谈谈
There – Nothing will happen.
什么也不会发生的
I just need somebody to talk to. Maybe you do too.
我就想找个人谈谈 也许你也是
Eighty-ninth and First.
八十九大街一号♥
Hi.
你好
Hi.
你好
Oh, Wail. Uh…
等等
My goodness.
我的天
♪ Sexy baby ♪
性感宝贝
♪ Good lovin’ daddy ♪
可爱老爹
♪ Ooh, let me be your rockin’ chair ♪
让我来作你的摇摇椅
♪ Just a-rock me away from here ♪
把我摇出这里
♪ Let’s get it on ♪
来吧
♪ Come to me, baby,♪
来我身边吧 宝贝
Alice.
爱丽丝
What would your dream book to publish be, if you could publish any book ?
如果你能出书的话 最想出的是什么书?
Anything that might become a best seller.
只要畅销就行
Aside from that. Your dream book.
除了这个呢 你梦想中的书?
I’d say a collection of new J.D. Salinger stories…
塞林格的新小说集
but more in the direction of “The Laughing Man”
是《笑面男》
or “Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters”.
或是《木匠们 把屋梁升高》这个风格
not “Hapworth 16” or “Seymour: An Introduction.”
而不是《哈普沃兹16》或是《西摩:介绍》的风格
Did you know that, in his own day…
你知道吗 在他们那个年代
Mary McCarthy and Alfred Kazin wrote devastating pieces on Salinger?
玛丽·麦卡锡和阿尔弗雷德·卡津经常攻击塞林格
No. Yeah. They really destroyed him.
不知道 他们毁了他
♪ Sexy baby ♪
性感宝贝
♪ Good lovin’ daddy ♪
可爱老爹
God.
天
♪ Let me be your rockin’ chair ♪
让我来作你的摇摇椅
♪ Just a-rock me away from here ♪
把我摇出这里
♪ Let’s get it on ♪
来吧
♪ Come to me, baby Ooh ♪
“来我身边吧 宝贝
♪ Let me be your rockin’ chair ♪
让我来作你的摇摇椅
♪ Just a-rock me away from here ♪
把我摇出这里
♪ Rock me gently ♪
轻轻地摇
♪ Make me feel like a cloud in the sky ♪
给我腾云驾雾的感觉
Maybe we should go the outside way, like Alice.
我们应该学爱丽丝从外面绕着走
I’m sure it was Jimmy. It’s very quiet.
一定是吉米 他很安静
Get out! Get out!
出去 出去
That was pretty bad.
真糟糕
What’s the matter now? What?
你这是怎么了? 怎么?
All the noise-clomping around, banging pans.
你这么大动静干嘛 摔锅打碗的
Sorry. I didn’t realize it. You obviously intended it.
对不起 我不是故意的 你就是故意的
What do you mean?
你什么意思?
It’s very aggressive. You don’t clomp around banging pans for no reason.
你在发火 谁会无缘无故摔东西啊
Like what reason? You know perfectly well.
那是什么原因呢? 你心里最明白
Because I only bang pans?
因为我只摔锅?
Well, frankly, that’s not what I heard.
老实说 我听到的不是这样
Okay, anything I did that was wrong I apologize for.
好吧 我做错的事我道歉
But anything I did that was not wrong, I don’t apologize for.
但我没做错的事 我绝不道歉
God, Alice is such a Scorpio.
天 爱丽丝真是神经病
♪ Sweet majesty, ♪
“亲爱的殿下
Come on, boy. Did she hurt you? You okay? Let’s see. Let’s see.
快来 受伤了吗?你没事吧?给我看看
Aw. We’ll fix it.
没事的
♪ So much I’ve longed ♪
我是多么渴望
♪ To speak to you ♪
跟你说话
Rufus! Rufus!
鲁福斯 鲁福斯
Come here, boy.
过来 宝贝儿
Rufus! Come here! Hey!
鲁福斯 过来
Never do that!
你怎么能这样
How dare you!
你怎么这样
Shame on you! Bitch!
不要脸 妹子
I decided to go ahead with the Tibet book proposal.
我想推荐讲西♥藏♥那本书
What? The memoir about the Dalai Lama’s older brother?
什么? 达♥赖♥哥哥的回忆录?
Oh.
噢
I’d like to bring it up at Wednesday’s editorial meeting.
我打算在星期三的编辑会议上提出来
You really like that?
你真喜欢这本书?
Other people liked it too? Yeah.
其他人也喜欢吗? 对
Okay, I’ll take another look.
好 我再看看
You know, it’s considered a little self-indulgent…
只读一本没发表的手稿就如此肯定
to read too much of a manuscript if it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.
是不是有点过于自负了
Have you known Holly long?
你认识荷莉久吗?
Just since we found the apartment. Why?
从搬到一起住才认识 问这个干什么?
She’s very, uh… quiet, isn’t she?
她这个人很文静 对吧
Well, I would say not more than normal.
这个算基本正常吧
Your standard of normal could be different from other people’s.
你正常的标准可能跟别人不一样
How do you mean?
什么意思?
I don’t understand that.
我不明白
I guess what I’m asking is –
我想问的是
You do like Holly, don’t you? Yeah, of course.
你喜欢她是吧? 当然
But she is intelligent, isn’t she?
她是个聪明人吧
Sometimes I question her dating choices.
我觉得她不太会找男朋友
God, you’re tough. I’m not tough in the least.
天 你真刻薄 我才不算刻薄
No, you’re really tough.
你是刻薄
♪ Halston, Gucci;
侯司顿 古奇
♪ Fiorucci ♪
菲奥鲁奇
♪ He looks like a still The! men is dressed to kill ‘P
他英俊潇洒 简直可以迷死人
♪ Oh, What, wow, ♪
哦握
♪ He’s the greatest dancer ♪
他是我所见过的
♪ Oh, what, wow That I’ve ever seen ♪
最迷人的舞者
♪ I’ve ever seen ♪
最迷人的舞者
Congratulations, Alice. Yeah, your first book. Great.
恭喜 爱丽丝 这可是你第 本书
It could be a best seller.
未来的畅销书啊
Charlotte. Oh, Charlotte.
夏洛蒂 夏洛蒂
That was so moving, what you said about our obligation to writers.
你的话太感人了 尤其是我们对作者的责任那段
Thanks. And how often we fall short of that.
谢谢 而且我们经常缺乏责任感
Well, let’s face it. Most authors are still conceited dopes.
面对现实吧 大部分作者都是自负的家伙
You – You can’t say that.
不能这么说吧
You’re an editor. You don’t have to deal with them on a daily basis.
你是编辑而已 不用天天跟他们打交道
When you’re an assistant, it’s harder to dodge the calls.
谁让我们是助理 想躲过他们的电♥话♥不容易
Good going, Alice. I’m really glad we got this book.
不错 爱丽丝 我很高兴能拿到这本书的出版权
I understand that you know some people at the club.
听说你有朋友在夜店
Do you think that maybe, uh, sometime you could get us in there some night?
能不能哪天带我们也进去?
Yeah, certainly. We’ll arrange that. Great. Thanks.
没问题 我来安排 好.谢谢
Thanks a lot, Dan. Sure.
谢谢 丹 不客气
Do you have any idea why Jimmy’s suddenly so interested in your social life?
吉米最近对你的社交很感兴趣 知道为什么吗?
No. He’s interested in my social life? Haven’t you noticed?
不知道 他对我的社交感兴趣? 你没注意到?
He’s always wondering why you don’t go out or go to the club.
他总是问你为什么不出去或不去夜店
He is?
真的?
You know, Alice, you’ve been hanging around the apartment a lot.
爱丽丝 你经常在家里晃来晃去
You’ve kind of set up office there. None of the rest of us has any privacy.
简直把家里当成办公室 我们都没有隐私了
The railroad apartment wasn’t my idea. Yeah, that’s true…
又不是我要租那套火车公♥寓♥ 这个没错
but it’s just odd that you’re so much friendlier to Jimmy now he’s with me.
问题是现在你对他太友好了 但是他跟我在一起