God.
活佛
Recommend:
推荐
Very kind decline.
委婉的拒绝
Anything interesting? Not really.
有什么好玩的? 没有
What time did you get back? I don’t know.
你几点回家的? 不知道
You don’t know? I didn’t check.
不知道? 我没看表
Well, was it light or dark?
那时天是亮的 还是黑的啊
Why do you care what time I got in?
你管我几点回来干嘛?
Sorry. No reason.
抱歉 不干嘛
We’ve got to get an apartment of our own.
我们一定要找间自己的公♥寓♥
Do you know how long it takes to become an editor?
你知道升到编辑要多久吗?
You mean associate editor. Yeah. Associate editor.
是副编辑吧 对 副编辑
Oh, yes.
是的
What’s the minimum amount of time to become an associate editor?
升到副编辑最少要多久?
How many years? It’s hard to say.
多少年? 难说
Approximately. Maybe four years.
大概呢? 也许四年吧
But more than years. Before you can become…
但不光是时间 要想成为
an associate editor, you have to have a best seller.
一名副编辑 你得有一本畅销书
How can you be sure you’ll get a best seller?
那要怎么确定有一本畅销书呢?
You cannot. But what if you don’t find one?
确定不了 万一找不到怎么办?
You have to. Show them the outline.
必须找到 给她们看看指南
You might want to see this.
你们应该看看这个
It’s the Scott Meredith best seller outline.
这是司科特·默瑞迪的畅销书指南
“Create sympathetic characters with whom readers identify.
创造能令读者同情的人物
Give them problems. Make these problems big.”
给他们制♥造♥严重的困难
Could I photocopy this? Yes, but I need it back.
我能复印一份吗? 行 但要还我
I’d like a copy too. That stuff is such crap.
我也要一份 那玩意儿根本没用
This does describe a lot of best sellers. It’s true.
但它的确列举了许多畅销书的元素
It’s completely formulaic. Of course it’s formulaic. It’s a formula.
太公式化了 当然公式化了 它就是个公式
That’s why I prefer nonfiction.
所以我不喜欢小说
It’s good you want to be an editor so much.
很高兴看到你们想成为编辑
In this era of television…
在这个电视时代
you are devoted to the printed word.
你们依然对文字如此着迷
Actually, ultimately, I’d like to work in television,
其实 我的最终目的是进军电视圈
but right now what I need’s a raise.
但现在我需要加薪
Alice and I have been looking at apartments,
爱丽丝和我在找公♥寓♥
but we can’t afford one on what we get as assistants.
但我们当助理的工资可租不起
That’s so comical.
太滑稽了
What?
什么?
That girls like you really worry about paying the rent.
你们这样的女孩居然会担心房♥租
Aren’t your fathers heavily subsidizing your living expenses with big allowances?
你们的父亲难道不会给你们大笔零花钱吗?
They’re not big at all.
一点儿都不大笔
In a few years, you’ll marry some incredibly rich corporate lawyers.
再过几年 你们就会嫁给巨有钱的企业律师
It’s not as if you really worry about paying the rent like the rest of us.
你们完全用不着像我们一样担心房♥租的问题
Oh, you worry about paying the rent? Yeah.
你担心房♥租? 是啊
Then you’re way ahead of us,
那你已经比我们强了
’cause we don’t even have an apartment.
我们连自己的公♥寓♥都没有
What if, in a few years, we don’t marry some corporate lawyer?
万一再过几年 我们不嫁给什么律师呢?
What if we marry some meatball, like you?
而是嫁给某个废物 比如你这样的
I mean, not you personally, but someone with…
当然不是你本人 而是某个
similarly low socioeconomic prospects.
和你一样没出息的家伙
Can you believe that? They really think that way.
你相信吗?他们居然那么想
Disco sucks.
迪斯可是垃圾
What a dope.
真是个人♥渣♥
Would you ever go out with anyone who worked in the company?
你愿意跟公♥司♥里的同事约会吗?
Fortunately, there’s absolutely no temptation.
很幸运 完全没有让我心动的
Charlotte, telephone. It’s a man.
夏洛蒂 有你电♥话♥ 是个男的
Hello? Hi.
喂? 你好
Oh, hi. We were thinking of having some people for dinner Saturday night…
你好 我们打算周六晚请些人来吃晚餐
and wanted to know if you could come.
想知道你来不来
About 7:30. Okay. Where?
大概七点半 好啊 在哪儿?
Actually, I’ll have to call you back with that. Okay.
我再打电♥话♥通知你吧 好的
Yeah. Great.
好的 太好了
Thanks. Okay. Bye.
谢谢 好的 再见
That was Jimmy Steinway. He’s coming for dinner Saturday night.
是吉米·斯泰威 他周六晚要来
You called him?
你通知他了?
I thought you said you could never be interested in anyone who worked in advertising.
你说过你对广♥告♥行业的人不感兴趣啊
Well, no one could say something like that seriously.
那种话怎么会是认真的
It was obviously a joke.
显然是开玩笑嘛
Anyway, it’s not like it’s a date or anything.
反正又不是跟他约会
He’s invited as part of a group.
还请了其他人的
It’s really important there be more group social life.
我们应该多跟一群人一起玩
Not just all this ferocious pairing off.
而不光是残忍♥的配对游戏
You like Tom. Invite him.
你喜欢汤姆 请他来啊
We don’t even have an apartment.
我们连公♥寓♥都没有
How can we have a dinner party?
要怎么请人吃饭?
Well, it’s another incentive to get one.
那就更有动机找一间啦
Does the Lexington Avenue Express stop at 86th Street?
莱星顿大道快车在86街有站吗?
I think so. We better hurry.
应该有吧 我们得赶快
Do you really think we know each other well enough to room together?
你真的认为我们熟悉到了可以同居的程度?
Well, maybe that’s good.
也许这是好事
It’s not just that we don’t know each other well.
我们不光是不够了解对方
I’m not even sure we really like each other.
甚至都算不上彼此喜欢
That’s okay.
没关系
You know, Alice, I’m not so much of a bitch as I might seem.
爱丽丝啊 其实我这人没那么讨厌的
You’ll find Holly’s a little sensitive about her intelligence.
你会发现荷莉对自己的智力有些敏感
She’s dumb?
她很蠢吗?
Harvard guys, even the ones that seem reasonably cool on the outside…
哈佛毕业的男生 包括那些看上去很酷的
are all essentially wimps and bookworms on the inside.
骨子里都是甭种和书呆子
They love being seen out with this lovely girl.
他们喜欢和美女出双入对
But, after a date of two, rather than risk rejection,
但一两次约会后 为了不先被拒绝
they pretend to drop her…
他们干脆就甩了她
going around complaining about how dull she was.
然后到处跟人抱怨说 她有多蠢
Is she dull?
那她蠢吗?
A little, but that’s not the point.
是有点儿 但这不是重点
Once you start worrying about something like that, you’re lost.
一旦你开始担心这种事 你就会不知所措
Holly was devastated. She stopped dating entirely…
荷莉被打击惨了 她彻底不跟男人约会
and weekends either went home or just hung around the library at Pine Manor.
周末时不是回家 就是在图书馆泡着
What do you think you’re doing? Shove off, Mac!
你这是干什么?滚开 色狼
Deviant.
神经病
Creep. Off.
变♥态♥ 滚
So, I wouldn’t develop any illusions about Harvard guys.
所以 不要对哈佛男生心存幻想
They can be amazing creeps too.
他们也可能是超级人♥渣♥
Well, there you are. Hi.
你们来了 你好
Um, our friend still isn’t here. Oh.
我们的朋友还没到
Sorry. I forgot which way the numbers went on the East Side.
抱歉 我忘记东区门牌号♥的顺序了
It’s what’s called a railroad apartment.
这就是所谓的火车公♥寓♥
It’s, uh, long and rather narrow…
空间又长又狭窄
like a railroad car.
就像火车车厢
Each room opens directly onto the other.
每个房♥间都彼此相连
It’s very nice.
太好了
The closets are here.
橱柜在这里
This is the other bedroom.
这是另一间卧室
The bathroom is back here at this end.
卫生间在走廊尽头
And the kitchen.
还有厨房♥
So, to get to the bathroom from the living room…
所以 从起居室走到卫生间
you have to clomp through both bedrooms?
必须穿过两间卧室?
Well, there are two outside doors.
有两道外门
So, in theory…
所以.理论上
you can use the exterior hall to go between the kitchen and the living room.
可以通过外走廊在厨房♥和起居室间走动
Even with two roommates, the, um, layout is a bit awkward.
就算只有两人住 这布局也太不方便了
You can’t afford something bigger?
你们租不起大一点的?
We all work in book publishing.
我们都在出版社工作
Couldn’t your parents help? They already are.
父母不能给点钱? 他们已经给了
So, what do you think?
你看如何?
I think it’s really nice.
我觉得很不错啊
Isn’t the layout a bit awkward?
不觉得布局有点不便吗?
Well, I think we should take it.
我认为应该租下
Here you go.
给你
Ifs good to see bourgeois girls building up a s weal’.
看见千金小姐干粗活 我很开心