我尝试让自己等待一段时间
I’m trying to make myself wait, you know?
延迟的满足感 之类的
Delay gratification. That sort of thing.
-发生了什么? -对 这个…
-So what happens? -Right, well…
他们决定在庄园里演戏剧
Well, they decide to put on a play in the house.
在排练的过程中 他们互生好感
And rehearsing it, it sort of unleashes them.
其中的两个人坠入爱河…
Two of them actually fall in love, and one…
他们中的一人 玛丽亚·波特兰 被安排…停手
One of them, Maria Bertram, is set… Stop it.
-被安排和别人结婚 -或者不是
-Is set to marry someone else. -Or maybe not.
我觉得…我觉得…
Well, I think… I think…
我认为奥斯汀想要表达的是 戏剧表演是很危险的
I think what Austen is trying to say is that play-acting is dangerous.
所有的那些隐秘的后台 上场前的等待和窃窃私语
All of that intimacy backstage, the waiting and the whispering,
之后再台上 人们要凝视着对方 然后说”我爱你”
and onstage you’re gazing at each other, and “I love you.”
我的意思是…
I mean…
你能发现这些经常会发生
Well, you can see how it happens.
是 我知道这会发生 但不会和凯伦·巴维
Yeah, I can see it happening, just not with Karen Bhave.
你想要再从头来一遍吗?
So, do you wanna go over it again?
你好
Hello?
-是 -嗨 格瑞格 我是乔斯琳
-Yeah. -Hey, Grigg, it’s Jocelyn.
-嗨 -嗨
-Hi. Hey. -Hi.
-你的《曼斯菲尔德庄园》进展如何? -还不错
-So how’s Mansfield Park coming? -Just great.
我打扰你了吗?
Am I disturbing you?
我只是在给我姐姐发有关你的邮件
I’m just writing an email to my sisters about you, as a matter of fact.
还有乌苏拉·勒奎恩
And Ursula Le Guin.
-你看没看《黑暗的左手》? -还没
-Did you ever read Left Hand of Darkness? -Not yet.
嗨 伯纳黛特和我正在说
Hey, listen, Bernadette and I were just saying
我希望阿莱格拉在 那天的书友会没有吓到你
we hope Allegra didn’t scare you off the book club.
-哪个是阿莱格拉? -西尔维娅的女儿
-Which one is Allegra? -Sylvia’s daughter.
很漂亮 充满热情的好女孩
Really pretty, really passionate, wonderful girl.
问问他今天又没有空
Ask him if he can make time today.
你可以带西尔维娅去吃午餐
You might take Sylvia to lunch today.
告诉他西尔维娅和丹尼尔
Tell him that Sylvia and Daniel
今天早晨在法庭办理离婚
are in court this morning over their separation.
她可以从中得到自我满足
She could use the ego boost.
你有西尔维娅的号♥码 对吧?
You have Sylvia’s number, right?
你想要一起来吗?
Would you wanna come, too?
听着 我知道你们年龄有差距
Listen, I know there’s a difference in your ages,
但我真的觉得你们很般配
but I really think the two of you will hit it off.
撒哈拉 我要走了 好吗?
Sahara. I gotta go, okay?
我喜欢的这个女人绝对对我有感觉 但是很奇怪
This woman I like definitely seems interested, but it’s weird.
她总是逼我去和一个比我年轻的
She’s sort of pushing me to date this girl,
叫阿莱格拉的女孩约会
Allegra, who’s way younger than me.
她说我应该带她的妈妈共进午餐
She said I should take this girl’s mother to lunch.
银行资产会被平均分配
Bank assets will be divided equally.
你们会保留各自的车
Each individual will keep his or her own car,
双方要完全承担附加的款项 以及保险
and each will be wholly responsible for the attendant payments and insurance.
丹尼尔和西尔维娅拥有的房♥屋 将会共同持有
The house owned by Daniel and Sylvia will be jointly held,
双方要平摊财产所有税
with both parties paying an equal share of property taxes,
维护以及维修的费用
upkeep and repairs.
西尔维娅可以在房♥屋中居住 丹尼尔不可以
Sylvia may live in the house. Daniel will not.
只要丹尼尔一到50岁 他会变得大不如以前
As soon as Daniel hit 50, his wheels fell off.
这是我从《曼斯菲尔德庄园》中学到的
Here’s what I get from Mansfield Park.
婚姻只是在弱者那边显得坚固
That a marriage is only as strong as its weakest partner.
丹尼尔总是想在摇摆不定中 寻找自我
Daniel has always wanted to find his center by wobbling.
这可是一次大的波动
This is a pretty big wobble.
《曼斯菲尔德庄园》中描写的都是 意志不坚定的人
Mansfield Park is full of wobblers.
伯特伦女士什么都不管 放纵着她那群孩子
Lady Bertram lying around, letting a houseful of adolescents run riot.
范妮·普莱斯是家里的支柱
Fanny Price is the rock of that family.
范妮的堂姐玛丽亚 结婚六个月后甩掉了她的丈夫
Fanny’s cousin Maria, married six months, dumps her husband…
不要忘记范妮的爸爸 那个无业酒鬼
And don’t forget Fanny’s father, the unemployed alcoholic.
嫁给一个没用的人 你一辈子就毁了
Marry the weak link and you’re screwed.
这就是她想要告诉我们的
That’s what she’s saying.
怪不得奥斯汀从来没结过婚 太可怕了
No wonder why Austen never married. It’s terrifying.
-我觉得我终于痛恨他了 -很好
-I think I finally hate him. -Good.
我回来了 我又要马上出去 有一个书友会要参加
I’m home. I’m going out again. I have book club.
你刚刚错过了 一个男人
You just missed this guy
将自己颈部以下埋在一个 装满蟑螂的桶中
who got buried up to his neck in a tank filled with cockroaches.
它们是真的
And they were real.
你可能觉得电视播放这些是不合法的
You’d think it’d be illegal to show stuff like that.
你应该尝尝
Here, grab a spoon.
你一定要离开
You have to leave.
把你的东西放回你的行李箱 我帮你订机票
You put your things in your suitcase ’cause I’m booking your flight.
-想让我… -是的
-Want me to… -Yeah.
-你怎么受伤的? -我摔倒了
-How did you break it? -I fell.
实际上是种幸运
Which was kind of lucky, actually.
这让我遇到一个女孩叫科琳 她是个作家
‘Cause I met this girl, Corinne, who I’ve been seeing. She’s a writer.
她 嗯
Which, um,
并不是真的那么好
isn’t so great, really,
因为如果让她选择我或者写作
’cause if she had to choose between me and writing,
她可能会选择写作
she’d probably choose writing.
但她不用做出选择 所以你永远都不会知道
But she doesn’t ever have to choose. So you never have to know.
所以你是女同志 全职的?
So you’re a lesbian. Full-time?
你是说 我会不会偶然的和男人睡觉?
You mean, do I ever slip and accidentally sleep with a man?
不 不 我的姐姐凯瑟琳 她男女通吃
No, no, my sister Cat, she goes out with guys and girls.
她住在爱达华州
She lives in Idaho.
别告诉我你姐姐是凯瑟琳·哈里斯
Your sister isn’t Cat Harris.
-你认识她? -伯纳黛特认识所有的人
-You know her? -Bernadette knows everyone.
我是通过一个医生朋友 比昂卡·希尔曼认识的
I met her through my doctor friend in Laguna Niguel, Bianca Sillman.
你还认识我姐姐比昂卡?
You know my sister, Bianca?
我不记得比昂卡和凯瑟琳是姐妹了
I forgot that Bianca and Cat are sisters.
她们是你的姐姐
Those are your sisters!
世界真小
Our world is an English village.
我的主题是长♥期♥受苦的女儿
My topic is the long-suffering daughter.
一本书不能说明问题 如果将
One can’t help but see the parallels
《曼斯菲尔德庄园》中长♥期♥忍♥耐的 范妮·普莱斯
between the long-suffering Fanny Price in Mansfield Park
和《劝导》中长♥期♥受折磨的安娜 联♥系♥起来
and the long-suffering Anne Eliot in Persuasion.
我讨厌范妮·普莱斯
I hate Fanny Price.
拜托 我们没有在选平民皇后
Excuse me, we’re not electing the homecoming queen, okay?
是的 如果我们还在上高中 我们会选的
I mean, yes, if this were high school, yes,
众人皆知伊丽莎白·班纳特 是最受欢迎的
we all know Elizabeth Bennet would be most popular
而范妮·普莱斯是最令人讨厌的
and that Fanny would be least.
-谁是伊丽莎白·班纳特? -《傲慢与偏见》中的
-Who’s Elizabeth Bennet? -Of Pride and Prejudice.
别说得太远了 因为我还没有读过那本
Don’t give away too much, ’cause I haven’t read that one yet.
-你不知道《傲慢与偏见》? -不知道
-You don’t know Pride and Prejudice? -No.
我记得我在哪里看到 范妮·普莱斯是奥斯汀的最爱
I think I read somewhere that Fanny Price was Austen’s favorite.
-范妮很无聊 -她坚持她的信仰
-Fanny’s boring. -She’s faithful.
她那是霍敦孵蛋(寓言故事 讽刺过于忠诚于信仰)
She’s Horton Hatches the Egg.
她做在巢上 一动不动
She sits on that nest and she never, ever wavers.
也许大家会喜欢她
Well, she’d probably be easier to like
如果她允许别人身上有弱点
if she would just allow some weakness in others.
-她都无法容忍♥自己的弱点 -没错
-She doesn’t allow it in herself. -True.
我没发现亨利·克劳福特有多坏
I didn’t see what was so bad about Henry Crawford.
谢谢 格瑞格 为什么范妮一定要爱上埃德蒙?
Yes. Thank you, Grigg. Why does it have to be Edmund?
奥斯汀 她总是对过于迷人漂亮 的人们很不满
Well, Austen, she’s always suspicious of people who are too charming.
只有一次 我希望在《曼斯菲尔德庄园》 中看到
Just once I’d like to pick up Mansfield Park
范妮最终和亨利·克劳福特在一起
and see Fanny end up in the sack with Henry Crawford.
同意 同意
Yes! Yes!
读这些小说时 你不得不去想
You can’t read these novels without wondering
她是不是也对这种坏男孩有意思
if she doesn’t have a little thing for the naughty boys.
谁又不是呢?
Well, who doesn’t?
除了范妮·普莱斯
Except for Fanny Price.
好吧 我喜欢范妮 她很努力
Okay, look. I love Fanny. She works hard.
-她将自己的家庭放在第一位 -妈妈 不要这样
-She puts her family’s needs above her own. -Mom, it’s okay.
而且她无时无刻的爱着埃德蒙
And she never, ever stops loving Edmund, ever.
甚至在他愚蠢的
Even when he’s stupid enough to do something like
选择了玛丽·克劳福特之后
take up with Mary Crawford.
哦 天哪
Oh, dear.
我原本以为《曼斯菲尔德庄园》会没事 不是吗?
I thought Mansfield Park would be safe, didn’t you?
我不觉得我们能读完那六本书
I don’t think we’re gonna get through all six books.
读简·奥斯汀简直是像过雷区
Reading Jane Austen is a freaking minefield.
你今天很安静 格瑞格 有什么想法吗?
You’re awfully quiet, Grigg. Any thoughts?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!