或者 选一个离大家都近的地方
Or, you know, pick some central location.
不 我不认为咖啡店很适合
No, I don’t think a coffee shop’s conducive.
我来做第一次 在我家从《艾玛》开始
I’ll host the first one, we’ll start with Emma, at my place.
我们最好不要办成烹饪比赛之类的
But let’s not get into this competitive cooking thing.
烘烤
Bakeoffs!
-不 我们只做些零食 -叫外卖♥♥
-No, we’ll do finger foods. -We’re gonna do takeout.
而且我们要营造出适合读 简·奥斯汀的氛围
And we have to create the Jane Austen mood.
-噢 天呀 -嗨
-Oh, my God. -Hey.
-他来了 -是的
-He came. -Yeah.
抱歉 我在另一个星巴克等了半个小时
Sorry, I sat in the wrong Starbucks for half an hour.
天啊 有太多的星巴克了 不是吗?
Golly, there are a lot of these places, huh?
他们有世界各地的各式咖啡 所以…
But they’ve got interesting coffee from all over the world, so…
-这是格瑞格 -我是伯纳黛特
-This is Grigg, everyone. -I’m Bernadette.
-普鲁迪 -普鲁迪和阿莱格拉
-Prudie. -Prudie, and Allegra.
-西尔维娅 -格瑞格·哈里斯
-Sylvia. -Grigg Harris.
你好
Hi.
我很兴奋
Well, I’m excited.
我以前从来都没有读过 简·奥斯汀的书
Never read anything by Jane Austen before.
这是什么?
What is it?
我去书店准备每本小说各买♥♥一本
Well, I went to the bookstore to buy a copy of each one of the novels,
然后就看到了这个
and I saw this.
然后 我认为”也许他们是一个系列的”
And I thought, “Well, maybe they’re all sequels.”
所以 我觉得把所有的书合在一起 是个不错的主意
So, I figured it might be a good idea to keep them all together in one book,
以防有时候要看回去之前的内容
in case I needed to refer back.
这是我们要读的顺序吗?
Is this the order that we read them in?
格瑞格 你想要喝点咖啡吗?
Do you wanna grab a coffee, Grigg?
不 不 我很好 我在其他地方已经喝了很多
No, no. No, I’m fine. I had plenty at the other place.
我买♥♥了这个 然后他们帮我灌满了 所以 我有点
And… I bought this and they filled it up for me, so I’m a little…
好的
Yeah.
噢 你在邮件里说 你要介绍给我什么人?
Oh, you said in your email there was someone you wanted me to meet?
是的 实际上是我们大家
Yeah. Yeah, all of us, actually.
我认为男性成员能给我们带来 一些不同的观点
I thought we might benefit from the perspective of a male in the group.
-一些雄性激素 -没错
-A little testosterone. -Right.
-各位女士都没有结婚吗? -普鲁迪
-Okay. So, none of you ladies are married? -Prudie.
那么 我们要怎样? 按照顺序读 然后…
Right, so we just… What? We just read them chronologically, and…
-我们从《艾玛》开始 -《艾玛》?
-We’re doing Emma first. -Emma?
噢 从中间开始?
Oh. Starting in the middle, huh?
-他们并不是系列丛书 -不是?
-They’re not sequels. -They’re not?
那好吧 我们可以从任何一本开始
Well, great. We just start anywhere.
-你吃了什么药? -他很可爱
-What were you smoking? -He’s cute.
我觉得他可以让西尔维娅开心一点
I thought he’d be a distraction for Sylvia.
她需要的是一次冒险
She needs an adventure.
如果他造成什么问题 我要将他排除
If he becomes a problem I’ll get rid of him.
发生了什么 你是在偷车吗?
What happened, you pull a DUI?
不 我去哪里都是骑车
No, no, I pretty much bike everywhere.
你住在哪里?
Where do you live?
大概往北20英里的韦而瓦省
About 20 miles north. Vista Mar.
-你住在哪里 那个正在开♥发♥的地方? -是的
-You live in what, that development? -Yeah. Yeah.
我开了一个软件公♥司♥ 我的会计师告诉我
I had this software company and my accountant says to me,
“你应该买♥♥栋房♥子”
“You gotta buy a house.”
我们刚好在房♥屋中介门口
So, we were right by that exit.
然后我说”把车停在旁边”
And I said, “Pull over.”
下车 走进中介 看了看 买♥♥了房♥子
Got out, went in, pointed, bought a house.
-就像这样 -我猜我应该卖♥♥了它
-Like that. -I should sell it, I guess.
或者至少买♥♥点家具
Or at least buy some furniture.
我觉得我一定要 如果你们要来我家 对吧?
Well, I guess I’ll have to, if you guys are coming over, right?
阿莱格拉
Allegra.
-再见 -再见
-Bye. -Yeah. Sayonara.
我还没有选过书呢
You know, I never picked a book.
我可以选那个什么什么寺的吗?
Could I do that abbey one?
-好极了 它归你了 -噢 《诺桑觉寺》
-Perfect. Yeah, it’s yours. -Oh, Northanger Abbey.
很好
Great. All right.
-《艾玛》 从中间开始读 -没错
-Emma. Starting in the middle. -Yeah.
你一定要给他读这本没人选的书
Well, you gotta hand it to him for taking the dud book.
那是几本书里最短的一部 所以他才会选
It’s the shortest, that’s why.
-他很讨好大家 -普鲁迪 下次再见
-He’s eager to please. -Prudie, see you next time.
他很想讨好大家 他喜欢女人
He is eager to please. He likes women.
-完美的男人 -没错
-A welcome quality in a man. -Yes. Yes.
你觉得西尔维娅对他会有感觉吗?
Do you think Sylvia responded to him?
我们接受他了 任务完成
We let him in. It’s done.
-再见 -再见
-Bye. -Bye. Bye.
轮到你了
You’re up.
大展身手吧
Go big!
你还好吧?
You okay?
嗨 你 听着
Hey. Hey, you. Listen.
你能确保他们不要打给我妈妈吗? 拜托
Can you make sure they don’t call my mother? Please.
只要确定他们别打电♥话♥给我妈妈
Just make sure they don’t call my mother.
阿维拉女士? 我是科琳
Mrs. Avila? This is Corinne.
-我是阿莱格拉的朋友 -阿莱格拉的
-I’m a friend of Allegra’s. -Allegra’s.
她让我打给你
And she’s asked me to call you.
我们现在在瓦卡维尔的…
We’re up here in Vacaville at a…
-珠宝展览 -…珠宝展览
-Jewelry show. …jewelry show.
我刚才在教她骑我的摩托 然后她摔了一跤
I was showing her how to use my scooter and she took a little spill.
是轻伤 她伤到了手腕
It’s minor. She banged up her wrist.
她说你不用过来了 没什么大事 我们现在在诊所
She doesn’t need you to come. It’s nothing. We’re at the doctor’s.
他说她可能会有点痛
He says she could be a bit sore.
阿莱格拉怕你担心 如果她今天晚上不回家住
Allegra didn’t want you to worry if she’s not home tonight.
我会提醒她的 周一晚上的书友会
I’ll remind her. Book club Monday night.
对不起
I’m sorry.
我们通常不会在城这边买♥♥东西的
We don’t shop on this side of town, ever.
抱歉
Sorry.
这家店属于你了 我们不会再来了 好吗?
You can have this Whole Foods. We won’t ever use it again. Okay?
我去为书友会买♥♥酒 然后碰到了丹尼尔
So I was getting the wine for book club and I bumped into Daniel.
他和她在一起
He was with her.
-噢 亲爱的 -是的
-Oh, sweetie. -Yeah.
他们正要回家煮晚餐
They were going home to make dinner.
他穿着一件带拉链的上衣
He was wearing a jacket with a zipper.
-不会吧 -真不像丹尼尔
-No. -That’s so not Daniel.
我只是在这栋房♥子里走走 发现这里不再是我的家了
I just… I walk around this house, and it’s not my home anymore.
我感觉就像范妮·普莱斯被从 曼斯菲尔德庄园赶走了
I feel like Fanny Price banished from Mansfield Park.
那个女人取代了我的生活
That woman is living my life.
亲爱的 她不可能取代你
Honey, she can’t live your life.
你还好吗?
Are you all right?
我知道你喜欢独来独往 但你会不会有时觉得孤单?
I know you like being alone, but don’t you ever get Ionely?
那你觉得格瑞格怎么样?
So what’d you think about Grigg?
那个参加书友会的男生
The book club guy.
如果你喜欢他 我也喜欢
If you like him, I like him.
-他那梦幻般的眼睛怎么样? -我没怎么注意
-How about those dreamy eyes? -I didn’t really notice.
那 下次注意一下
Well, notice.
你明天能带着酒早点来吗?
Can you come early tomorrow since you’re bringing the wine?
非常好 非常好 非常好
That’s my girls. That’s my girls. That’s my girls.
世界真小 纯种的脊背犬
It’s a smallish world, pedigreed Ridgebacks.
-“纯种”的意思是… -血统
-“Pedigreed” is… -Well, it’s breeding.
纯种血统的狗一般更加珍贵
Certain bloodlines are naturally more valuable.
我的狗是塞伦盖提狗奎尼生的
Mine are out of Queenie of the Serengeti.
很棒的猎犬 可是已经不在了
Gorgeous hound. Gone now.
我是为了我第一个重要的男士普赖迪 而抚养她的
I bred her to my first really important sire, Pridey.
这位男士是只公狗 非常忠诚 上个月过世了
Sire’s the boy dog. Great disposition. Passed away last month.
-听到这个消息很难过 -谢谢
-I’m sorry. -Thank you.
很想念他 但”女皇”是真正的明星
Miss him. But Queenie was the real star.
她的妈妈是脊背犬 这是她引人注目的特点之一
Ridgebacks are matriarchal. That’s one of their attractive features.
嗨 嗨 嗨 撒哈拉 走开
Hey, hey, hey! Sahara, off!
对不起
Sorry. Sorry about that.
我一定要帮撒哈拉切除卵巢了 甲状腺引起的问题
Sahara I had to have spayed. Thyroid issues.
尽管如此 我仍然带她参展 她在同类中出类拔萃
I still show her, though. She’s very competitive in her category.
-是吗? -变性母狗
-Yeah? -Sexually altered bitch.
我给你带来了那些书
Well, I got you those books.
你记得我曾经推荐的吗? 乌苏拉·勒奎恩
You know the ones I suggested? Ursula Le Guin.
噢 是的 谢谢 你想得很周到
Oh, yeah. Thanks, that was thoughtful.
来这种聚会 你并不用为女主人带礼物
You don’t have to bring a hostess gift to these meetings, FYI.