这是个游戏 他们扮的是吸血鬼
It’s a game. They’re vampires.
当你看到他们其中一人像这样双手交叉
When you see one of them with their arms crossed like that,
你应该假装看不到她
you should pretend you don’t see her.
所以她不会回答你的问题 对事不对人
That’s why she didn’t answer you. Nothing personal.
谢谢
Thanks.
-我叫格瑞格 -格雷格?
-My name’s Grigg. -Greg?
格瑞格 G-R-l-G-G
Grigg, G-R-l-G-G.
噢 我要去见朋友 格瑞格
Oh. I’m meeting some people, Grigg.
好吧
Okay.
来一杯威士忌
Can I have a whiskey straight up?
抱歉 我能致歉吗? 我叫乔斯琳
Excuse me. Could I apologize? I’m Jocelyn.
你朋友没有来?
Your friend isn’t coming?
我等等才见他
I’m meeting him a little later.
那你为什么那么了解”虚假吸血鬼”那一幕?
So how do you know so much about the “faux vampire” scene?
真有意思 是因为…
That’s funny. Well, it’s…
我是来参加科幻会议的
I’m here for a sci-fi conference.
所以巴菲碰巧也是其中一种 你知道其中的一个分支
So the Buffy contingent is a kind of, you know, offshoot of that.
你读过什么科幻小说吗?
Yeah. You read much science fiction?
我更喜欢简·奥斯汀 简·爱一类的
I’m more of a Jane Austen, Jane Eyre kind of girl.
噢 这样啊 我从来都没有…
Oh, right, yeah. No, I never really…
读过这些书? 是的
Read those books? Yeah. Yeah.
你住在哪里?
So, where do you live?
我刚刚搬到萨克拉门托区 我是大学的技术人员
I just relocated to the Sacramento area. I do tech support at U.
你知道你像谁吗? 乌苏拉·勒奎恩(美国科幻女作家)
You know who you might like? Ursula Le Guin.
《黑暗的左手》 《天堂的车床》
Left Hand of Darkness. Lathe of Heaven.
她是写科幻小说的 是个出色的作家
She’s science fiction but she’s just a terrific writer.
-我也应该去了解一下她 -没错
-Have to check her out. -Yeah.
我的姐姐们很喜欢她的书 我觉得你也会喜欢的
My sisters love those books. I really think you might like them.
我也希望你为我能推荐一些书
And I’m willing to be directed as well.
真的 如果你建议我读什么书
Seriously, you know, if you tell me who I should be reading,
我保证回去读
I promise to read it.
我给你我的电子邮箱地址
I’ll give you my email.
这是以前的 我也写下刚才那些书名
That’s the old one. I’ll write those books, too.
其实 在我走之前想知道
You know what I’m actually wondering before I go?
你对年龄比较大的女人有什么感觉?
How do you feel about older women?
很好 真的
Great. Yeah.
我有三个姐姐 所以…
I have three older sisters, so…
你要知道 我喜欢所有的女人
You know, I like all women.
那很好
Good. That’s great.
-那谢谢啦 保持联♥系♥ -噢 好的
-Well, thanks. I’ll be in touch. -Oh, okay.

Great.
-再见 -再见
-Yeah, bye. -Bye.
噢 普鲁迪 你来了
Oh, good, Prudie, you’re here.
帮忙占着这些座位 好吗? 噢 乔斯琳 普鲁迪
Save these tables, okay? Oh, Jocelyn, Prudie.
-你好 -你好
-Hi, how are you? -Hello. Good.
-你想喝些什么 普鲁迪? -豆奶卡布奇诺
-So what do you want, Prudie? -A soy cappuccino.
我们不得不在六次书友会中减少一次
I have to be allowed to miss one meeting out of the six.
我只能在没有压力的情况下做出决定
I can only do this if there’s no pressure.
-嗨 妈妈在找停车位 -嗨
-Hey. Mom’s looking for parking. -Hi.
那是普鲁迪 去打招呼
That’s Prudie. Say hi.
我们只有五个人 都怪丹尼尔
We’re still only five. Too bad about Daniel.
他本可以来填补空缺的
He could’ve filled in,
虽然显而易见他从来没读过简·奥斯汀的书
although clearly he’s never read Jane Austen.
为了使普鲁迪感到满意
For Prudie’s sake,
我们最后需要的就是没有读过奥斯汀的人
the last thing we need is an Austen virgin.
我们需要真实热烈的讨论
We need real discussion.
我试着邀请了一个人 他说他可能会来
I sort of invited someone. Said he might come, maybe.
-他? -我对他没兴趣
-He? -No one I’m interested in.
他很年轻 有礼貌 说有可能来参加书友会
He’s young, compliant, said he might enjoy being in a book club.
我确信丹尼尔读过简·奥斯汀的书
I’m sure Daniel’s read Jane Austen.
读过奥斯汀的书的男人是不会因为其他女人
No man who reads Austen would ever dump his wife
而抛弃他的妻子的
because it’s better for the other woman.
印地安拿铁
Chai latte with a shot.
很抱歉 我真的落下太多东西要做了
I’m so sorry. I’m really behind.
我的网站上有太多订单了
I got slammed with orders on my website.
我实际上…要把这些小装饰加到这上面
I’ve actually… I’ve started adding these little dangles at the top here.
-你觉得怎么样? -不发表意见
-What do you think? -I’m no judge.
我是说 我印象中的珠宝
I mean, my idea of jewelry
是1920年代香奈儿的拜占庭系列
is Coco Chanel’s Byzantine oeuvre from the 1920s.
噢 当然 我明白你的意思
Oh! Definitely. Yeah, I get that.
作为我妈妈在公社生下的独女
Being the only child of a woman who gave birth in a commune
我逐渐开始讨厌那些年轻人戴的手工艺饰品
after changing her name to Sky Girl, I’ve come to loathe hippie handicrafts.
她来了
There she is.
其实 我并不是很想参加这个书友会
Actually, I’m not so sure I wanna do this book club.
快点 趁西尔维娅还在排队
So, quick, while Sylvia’s still in line,
丹尼尔走了之后她过得如何?
how she’s doing without Daniel?
还处于伤痛阶段
She’s still stuck in the wounded stage.
-她什么时候才会愤怒? 我已经愤怒了 -我也是
-When she’s ready for anger, I am so there. -Me, too.
我爸爸离开了我妈妈
My dad left my mom.
普鲁迪对于婚姻的所带来的失望并不陌生
Prudie is no stranger to marital disappointment.
其实 我们已经合好了
Actually, we’re fine now.
你结婚了? 为什么没有戴戒指?
You’re married? But no ring, huh?
在这只手上…我是法语老师
Yeah, it’s this hand, and… I teach French.
你是法语老师 所以你把戒指戴在右手上?
You teach French, so you wear your wedding ring on the right hand?
-这是欧洲的风俗 -你是欧洲人吗?
-It’s a European custom. -Are you European?
普鲁迪 你还没有说你想要负责 哪本书呢
So Prudie, you haven’t said which book you wanna be responsible for.
《劝导》吧
Maybe Persuasion.
因为我很喜欢里面那种 哀伤的语调
‘Cause I’m increasingly drawn to its elegiac tone.
-不要把我算作书友会的一员 -你要参加
-Don’t think I’m doing the book club. -You’re doing it.
你要负责一次讨论 选择一本书
You lead one discussion. Pick a book.
好吧 我刚刚看完《理智与情感》
Well, I just saw Sense and Sensibility,
我觉得 自从我搬会来和妈妈住
and I think, since I’m back living with my mom,
我完全能体会到那种两个女人
I really get that whole two-women,
亲密的关系 一起生活 却有着截然不同的想法
tight-relationship, living-together-but-really-opposites thing.
再次搬回家住是不是很不可思议?
Is it weird living back at home again?
我认为奥斯汀实际是在描写一对姐妹
I think what Austen is actually writing about is two sisters,
逐渐为了自己所坚信的 完美爱情而分开
moving separately toward what they each believe to be a perfect love.
好吧 但关键是玛丽安和伊里诺的关系…
Okay, but the point is Marianne and Elinor’s relationship…
如果你读了原著而并非只是看了电影…
Maybe if you’d read the book instead of watching the movie…
-我想选《艾玛》 -那西尔维娅还有那些可以选?
-I thought I might do Emma. -Which leaves what for Sylvia?
《诺桑觉寺》和《曼斯菲尔德庄园》
Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park.
哪部会让她心情好一点呢?
Which one’s gonna make her feel better?
我们成立书友会的原因 就是想让她忘记丹尼尔
Because we’re only doing the book club to get her mind off Daniel.
我还以为成立书友会是因为 我的巴黎之行被取消了
I thought the reason for the book club was for my not going to Paris.
-没错 -《诺桑觉寺》
-Exactly. -Northanger Abbey.
不要让她选《诺桑觉寺》
No, don’t make her do Northanger.
首先 就是讲述那些舞会
I mean, first you’re going off to all these dances,
之后 噩梦般的故事就发生在 诺桑觉寺大街上
and then suddenly it’s sort of like Nightmare on Northanger Abbey Street.
我开始觉得这并不是我想象中的书友会
I’m afraid this isn’t the book club that I had in mind.
我觉得某些人自以为比作者都厉害
I mean, I find when someone in the group feels superior to the author,
只是…不合时宜
it just… It sets the wrong tone.
好吧 我很开心能离开这里
Okay, I’m happy to leave.
-不 阿莱格拉 别走 -阿莱格拉 你不能走
-No, Allegra. No. Allegra. No. -Allegra, you can’t. You can’t.
今天开始 我很开心能和大家在这里谈论简·奥斯汀
After this day, I am so happy to be talking about Jane Austen.
-嗨 -嗨 我们已经开始选书了吗?
-Hi. -Hi. Did we choose the books yet?
西尔维娅 普鲁迪
Sylvia, Prudie.
噢 抱歉 我是西尔维娅·阿维拉
Oh, I’m sorry. Sylvia Avila.
-那你觉得《曼斯菲尔德庄园》如何? -我的最爱
-So, how do you feel about Mansfield Park? -My favorite.
-我喜欢范妮·普莱斯 -等等,妈妈,为什么?
-I love Fanny Price. -Stop, Mom, why?
她是个很麻烦的人
She’s such a goodie-goodie.
六本书 五个人 我们还差《诺桑觉寺》没有人选
Six books, five people. We skip Northanger Abbey.
-没错 -漏下了蒂尔尼先生?
-Definitely. -And miss out on Mr. Tilney?
-你说的没错 -他很招人喜欢
-No, you’re right. -He’s such a flirt.
我们有必要要读所有的六本书吗?
We don’t have to do all six books, do we?
读全部的六本书是这个书友会 存在的理由
Doing all six novels is the raison d’etre of the book club
也是我在这里的唯一原因
and it is the only reason I’m here.
-好吧 -那你想不想请你丈夫来参加?
-Okay. -Do you wanna invite your husband?
我丈夫从来都没有读过奥斯汀的书 永远都不会读
My husband has never read Austen and he never will.
那我们应该怎么办?
Okay, how should we do this?
每个月在我们中一人的家中聚会 随便吃点东西…
Just meet once a month at each of our houses, potluck…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!