我看得到 我看得到
I can see that. I so see that.
我想你也是一样
Well, it’s probably the same for you.
我想你放手的时候也是这么想的
I guess that’s what happens when you let go.
我们很好的把事情分开了
We did a good job taking things apart.
我很自豪
I’m kind of proud of us.
我警告你 如果格瑞格再废话的话 我就要离开了
I’m warning you, if Grigg starts making little remarks, I’m gonna walk out.
再在一起坚持一本书吧
You two just keep it together for one more book.
我希望他就这么退出
I wish he’d just drop out of the group.
奥斯汀在埃莉诺 爱德华跟露茜·斯蒂尔
Austen sets up this juicy triangle
三个人之间建立起复杂的三角关系
between Elinor, Edward and Lucy Steele.
而在结尾的时候像变戏法似的
And then at the end, she practically has to whip a rabbit out of a hat
让露茜·斯蒂尔跟爱德华的弟弟私奔?
to make Lucy Steele run off with Edward’s brother?
-没错 是有点牵强 -我觉得结尾收得很好
-Yeah, that requires some hand-waving. -I think the ending’s well-plotted.
对我来说 比较勉强的部分是
To me, the part that seems forced is
玛丽安最后跟布兰顿上校在一起
Marianne ending up with Colonel Brandon.
-有人有这样的感觉吗? -我不觉得有什么问题
-Anyone else feel that? -Oh, I have no problem with that.
他骑着高大的骏马 一把就把她揽入怀里了
He rides up on a big stallion, sweeps her into his arms. I’m there.
布兰顿上校见到玛丽安的时候
From the time Colonel Brandon meets Marianne,
他把所有的注意力都放在玛丽安身上
he just lavishes all this attention on her.
而玛丽安却只关心威罗比
And meanwhile, she’s throwing herself at Willoughby.
威罗比是花♥花♥公♥子♥
Willoughby is a player.
女人从来不喜欢好男人
Women never go for the nice guy.
行行好吧 男人总这样说
Please. Men say that,
但你最终会发现
but you get to know some of these men who complain the most,
这样说的人其实并没有他们说的那么好
you find out they’re not as nice as they like to think they are.
你知道我想到什么?
Okay. You know what struck me?
布兰顿上校只比达西乌太太小几岁
Is that Colonel Brandon is only a few years younger than Mrs. Dashwood.
为什么他去娶女儿而不是妈妈?
Well, why does he take up with the daughter and not the mother?
对啊 为什么不是达西乌太太?
Yeah, why not Mrs. Dashwood?
也许达西乌太太不给他机会
Maybe Mrs. Dashwood won’t give him the time of day.
-这本书是有关年轻人的 -因为简·奥斯汀觉得
-The book is about the young people. -Yeah, because Jane Austen thinks
25岁以上的女人不会有什么有趣的事
that nothing interesting can happen to a woman over 25.
也许女人勾引年纪比他小的男人
When actually, a novel about a woman seducing a slightly younger man
会更有意思
just yields so much more.
那也许达西乌太太应该考虑威罗比
Well, then maybe Mrs. Dashwood should go for Willoughby.
为什么不呢?
Why not?
这是个漫长乏味的夏天
It’s a long, hot summer.
也许达西乌太太更有理智一些
Maybe Mrs. Dashwood has more sense than that.
我可以指出达西乌太太并不是主人公吗?
Okay, can I just point out, she’s hardly in the story.
性♥爱♥总是复杂的
Sex is messy.
也许达西乌太太喜欢更有序的生活
Maybe Mrs. Dashwood prefers a more well-ordered life.
也许正因为这样她才不是主角
Maybe that’s why she’s such a minor character.
-如果你读完了奥斯汀的小说… -我读完了
-I think if you read Austen’s novels… -Oh, I have.
你让我读的 我都做到了
You wanted me to, and I did.
你就会发现她更看中伦理和自控
I think you’ll see she always writes in favor of order and self-control.
-没有不明智 -没有轻率的决定
-Nothing unwise. -Nothing in haste.
好吧 所以这… 这是一本伦理规范手册?
Okay, so, this is… This is what, this is a rulebook?
我们还能吵得更凶些
We could do worse.
我觉得奥斯汀写女人陷入爱情
I think Jane Austen wrote about women falling in love
是因为她感觉孤独
because she was Ionely.
你完全错了
Oh, you couldn’t be more wrong.
奥斯汀一生都很美满 她要的话随时可以结婚
Austen lived a very full life. She could’ve gotten married anytime.
-她几乎都结了 -没错
-She almost did. -That’s right.
但她决定还是不要
But she decided not to.
为什么 太复杂? 太不受控制?
Why, too messy? Too out of control?
那个男的名字叫哈里斯·比格维勒
His name was Harris Bigg-Wither,
他们只订婚了一个晚上
and they were engaged for one night.
“哈里斯·比格维勒” 简直不敢相信你连这个都知道
“Oh, Harris Bigg-Wither!” I can’t believe you know that.
我能够理解为什么布兰顿上校选择玛丽安
I understand why Colonel Brandon goes for Marianne.
并不因为她年轻
And it’s not ’cause she’s young.
而是她对自己很宽容
It’s because she’s generous with herself.
她愿意承担爱的风险 没有规则 没有恐惧
She’s willing to risk her heart. No rules, no fear.
-所以威罗比欺骗了她 -她只是选错人了
-And Willoughby tramples her. -She just picked the wrong guy.
没有规则 没有恐惧
No rules, no fear.
我喜欢
I like that.
-早 -你穿这个去书友会?
-Hi. -You’re wearing that to your book club?
是伯纳黛特的主意去海边
It’s Bernadette’s idea to do this beach day,
因为小说里他们去莱姆
’cause in the novel they all go to Lyme,
就是英格兰的海滩
which is, you know, like, the beach in England.
这是你的最后一次 是吗?
This is your last one, right?
我想这次以后我们还会有别的书
I think we’re gonna do some more books after this one.
普鲁迪会迟到几个小时
Prudie’s gonna be hours late and Grigg called.
格瑞格打电♥话♥来说他会带一个女人来
He’s bringing a woman.
感谢上帝这是最后一次聚会
Thank God it’s the last meeting.
是啊 听起来有点复杂
Yes, there’s getting to be a little too much plot.
不是我想怪格瑞格
Not that I blame Grigg.
读奥斯汀总让你想要尝试看看
Something about reading Austen sort of makes you wanna get it on.
你们好
Hi.
在医院里陪着阿莱格拉读的 这是本好书
Started reading it with Allegra at the hospital. This is a great book.
你要加入我们的讨论吗?
Are you joining our discussion?
-可以吗? 我十分乐意 -你好
-Am I? ‘Cause I’d like to. -Hi.
-丹尼尔想要加入我们 -他不是不在书友会吗?
-Daniel wants to join us. -Well he’s not in the club, is he?
这可是我最喜欢的奥斯汀 到现在为止
Oh, come on, this is my favorite Austen. So far.
有关犯错和悔改
It’s all about mistakes and second chances.
留下来吧
Yeah, you can stay.
来杯酒?
Glass of wine?
我不敢相信 他竟然带女伴来我们最后一次聚会
I can’t believe he brought a date to our last meeting.
-我曾经想过帮你们牵线搭桥 -为我?
-I kinda had him in mind for you, as a fling. -For me?
亲爱的 我在高中时把你的男朋友抢来
Honey, I took your boyfriend away from you in high school.
看看现在怎样
Look how that turned out.
-你好 -嘿
-Hi. -Hey.
-你们怎么样? -大家好 这是凯瑟琳
-How ya doing? -Guys, this is Cat.
-你好 -我是格瑞格的姐姐
-Hello. -I’m Grigg’s big sister.
天哪 太好了 这真是… 天哪 太好了
Oh, God, that’s wonderful. That’s so… I’m… God, that’s wonderful.
你是格瑞格的姐姐 我是乔斯琳 这是西尔维娅
You’re Grigg’s sister. I’m Jocelyn. This is Sylvia.
-你好吗? -你好
-How are you? -Hi.
-很好 谢谢 -你好 伯纳黛特
-Good, thank you. -Hi. Bernadette.
-不敢相信 -看看你
-I don’t believe it. -Look at you!
-你看起来很好 -很高兴见到你
-You look great. -Good to see you.
谢谢
Thank you.
-哇 你从爱德华过来的吧? -对啊
-Wow, are you visiting from Idaho? -Yeah, yeah.
我们一直在通邮件 我们想”到底是什么神奇的力量
We kept seeing these emails. And we said, “What kind of strange power
让格瑞格读起了简·奥斯汀? ”
“do these women have that they got Grigg to read Jane Austen?”
所以我就来看看 你想去走走吗?
Just thought I’d check it out. You wanna take a walk?
当然
Well, sure.
不好意思
Excuse me.
伯纳黛特 妈 嘿 嘿
Bernie! Mom! Hey. Hey!
-你好 -叶医生?
-Hi. -Dr. Yep?
萨曼塔 谢谢你们邀请我
Samantha. Thank you for inviting me.
-不好意思我们迟到了 -不要紧 普鲁迪还没来呢
-I’m sorry we’re late. -Oh. Yeah. Well, Prudie’s not even here yet.
那是爸爸吗?
Is that Dad?
-我们过去打招呼吧 -好啊
-Let’s say hi. -Okay.
医生
A doctor.
不要急
Nothing in haste.
-爸 -嘿
-Dad! Hi! -Hey.
你能答应我一件事吗?
Would you do me a favor?
你能读读这本书吗?
Would you read this?
求求你了 就现在
Please. Right now.
那不是你的小书友会的书吗?
Isn’t that what your special little book club’s for?
我真的希望你能读读
I really want you to read it.
求你了 迪安
Please, Dean.
这不是…这不…
It doesn’t… They don’t…
普鲁迪 我觉得你要我变成一个不是自己的人
Prudie, I feel like you want me to be something that I’m not.
我只是我自己 我不想做其他人
I just walk around being me. I don’t pretend to be anything else.
我是一个以为”奥斯汀”是得克萨斯州府的人
I’m the guy who thinks “Austen” is a city in Texas.
我不应该这么说 那很刻薄
I shouldn’t have said that. That was mean.
你只是想让我去参加一个我不可能通过的考试
You just set me up for a test that you don’t want me to pass.
不不 这不是一个考试
No, no. This is not a test.
这是分享
This is something to share.
你为什么不告诉我这讲什么?
Why don’t you just tell me what it’s about?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!