but I’ve just arrived here, and, well, I don’t really know anyone.
不过我刚到 谁都不认识
And I was thinking of going out for dinner tonight.
我今晚想出去吃饭
Well, if you’re not busy, would you like to join me?
你有空的话想一起去吗?
Busy? Honey, I haven’t been busy since 1978.
有空? 我从1978年起就有空了
I learned everything working in this place.
我在这里学了一身本领
Best job I ever had. Wait, wait, wait.
这辈子最棒的工作 等等
That was your first job in Hollywood? Louis B. Mayer’s office boy?
你的第一份工作是给梅耶当小弟?
Actually, my first job was as a Western Union messenger.
我第一份工作是快递小弟
That’s how I met Mayer. I delivered a telegram to his office at MGM.
我去送快递才见到梅耶 送电报到米高梅公♥司♥
When I walked in, all the girls in the office were in a tizzy.
我走进去就看到大家乱成一团
Their office boy didn’t show up. I volunteered for the job.
那一天办公室小弟没来 我自愿接下那份工作
The next day, I was on the payroll.
隔天就成为正式职员
I was 17 years old.
当年我才十七岁
So was Hollywood really as great back then as I imagine?
当年的好莱坞跟想像的一样棒吗?
It was better.
更棒
You know what I’ve been asking myself all night?
你知道我在想什么吗?
What? Why I’m bothering you with all these questions?
我♥干♥嘛拿这些问题烦你?
I’m wondering why a beautiful girl like you
像你这么漂亮的女孩
would go to a stranger’s house for her Christmas vacation
干嘛在圣诞节住进一个陌生人家
and on top of that, spend Saturday night with an old cocker like me.
周六晚上和我这糟老头吃饭?
Well, I…I just wanted to get away from the people I see all the time.
我只想远离一些成天见到的人
Well, not all the people.
其实不是一些人
One person. I wanted to get away from one guy.
是一个人 我想远离一个…男人
An ex-boyfriend who just got engaged and forgot to tell me.
我的前男友订婚 却忘了告诉我
Sorry. So he’s a schmuck.
对不起 他是个大烂人
As a matter of fact, he is. A huge schmuck. How did you know?
没错 他是个超级大烂人 你怎么知道?
He let you go. This is not a hard one to figure out.
他抛弃你呀 这用脚指头想也知道
Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend.
电影通常都有女主角和知己
You, I can tell, are a leading lady.
我看得出来你是女主角
But for some reason, you’re behaving like the best friend.
但你却甘愿当知己
You’re so right.
你说得对
You’re supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God’s sake.
每个人都应该当自己人生的主角
Arthur, I’ve been going to a therapist for three years.
亚瑟 我看了三年的心理医生
And she’s never explained anything to me that well.
她都没能说出问题所在
That was brilliant.
你太聪明了
Brutal, but brilliant. Thank you.
残忍♥ 但一针见血 谢谢你
I haven’t had that much to drink in…What am I saying?
我有好久没喝过这么多酒 我在说什么?
I’ve never had that much to drink. Yes, I believe no one ever has.
我从来没有喝过这么多酒 世上没有人能喝这么多
Okay, the last thing I remember was coming in here last night and…
我只记得昨晚回到这里
I had nothing to do with that. Oh, I know, but you were here.
那与我无关 我知道 不过你在场
I was. Oh, God. So I guess we.
没错 天啊 那我们…
Did we? I mean, did we?
我们…有没有?
We didn’t? We did not.
没有? 并没有
Oh, thank God.
谢天谢地
I mean, not ‘thank God,’ but just thank God.
我不是不想 只是很高兴
Because I didn’t remember.
因为要是有 我就会不记得…
So why didn’t we? Just remind me a little.
提醒我一下 为什么没有?
Call me old-fashioned but one doesn’t have sex with women who are unconscious.
也许我很传统 男人不该占”不省人事”的女人便宜
Unconscious? Oh, God. That must have been really attractive.
不省人事? 天啊 铁定超吸引人的!
Why did you stay?
你为什么留下来?
Because you asked me to. I did, didn’t I?
你叫我留下来啊 我有啊?
Did I beg at one point?
我有没有向你哀求?
From the moment I met you, it’s been an adventure.
从见到你后就是一场大冒险
Oh, yes. And I am deeply sorry about that.
是啊 真的很抱歉
I have nothing to say for myself other than I must be temporarily nuts right now.
只能说我暂时精神失常了
Olivia. Sorry, I didn’t mean to look. Again
是奥莉薇 抱歉 不是故意又要偷看
I should probably take this.
我应该接这通电♥话♥
I can’t. I can’t today.
不行 今天不行
Sophie, Olivia, Amanda. Busy guy.
苏菲 奥莉薇 阿曼达 这家伙真忙!
I think we should go into town. What do you mean?
我们应该去镇上 什么意思?
I think you should get dressed. We should take a drive, get some lunch
你应该换衣服 我们先开车兜风 然后吃午饭
and get to know each other. Really? Why?
再认识认识对方 真的吗? 为什么?
Because I’m running out of reasons why we shouldn’t. Aren’t you?
我想不出我们不该这么做的理由 难道你不是?
So you’re a book editor. Yes, I am.
你是出版社编辑 没错
What kind of an editor are you? A very mean one.
什么样的编辑? 很刻薄的那种
No. What I meant was, do you give massive notes, or?
我是说你会写很多意见吗?
The better the writer, the less notes.
作家写得愈好 我的意见就愈少
And what’d you study in school? Literature.
你大学念什么系? 文学系
And did you always know this was what you wanted to do?
你一直想当编辑吗?
Okay, my palms are starting to sweat. I feel like I’m on a job interview.
我的掌心开始冒汗了 这好像在面试
Do you, by any chance, know how to be on a date?
你知道怎么约会吗?
Sorry. I’m interrogating you. Yes.
抱歉 我在拷问你 是的
I haven’t been on a first date in a long time.
我有好久没有第一次约会
Well, since we’ve already had sex and slept together twice
我们嘿♥咻♥过一次 睡过两次
maybe we can bend the first-date rules.
对第一次约会的定义可变通一下
Why are you blushing?
你为什么脸红?
I didn’t realize I was. I think you make me nervous.
我也不知道 你害我很紧张吧
Okay. I’m gonna try to be myself. It’s never easy, but I’m gonna try.
我会试着做自己 这不容易 但我会试试
What was the question? Oh, I know.
你刚才问什么? 对了
Did I always want to be a book editor? Did you…? Right.
我一直想当编辑吗?
The answer is yes.
没错
My family’s in publishing.
我的家人都在出版界
My dad’s a writer of historical fiction.
我爸写历史小说
My mum was…Is, to this day, a very important editor at Random House.
我妈是蓝灯出版社的重要编辑
Okay. I believe my time is up. Your turn. Really?
我说完了 该你了 真的吗?
Deep breath. Okay.
深呼吸 好的
All right? Yeah.
好了吗? 恩
Well, like I said the other night I own a company that does movie advertising.
我拥有一家电影广♥告♥公♥司♥
I didn’t realize you own the company. Probably because I didn’t mention it.
我不知道你有公♥司♥ 大概我没提过
But now that I know you were raised by such a strong working mom
既然你妈也是个女强人
I can say it, and maybe you won’t be intimidated.
也许你不会被吓到
No, no. I’m still a little intimidated by it.
我有被吓到一点
Well, ‘a little’ is way ahead of the curve.
只被吓到一点就很好了
What about your family?
你的家人呢?
Okay, I’ll say it fast.
我就长话短说
My parents broke up when I was 15. I’m an only child,
我父母在我十五岁那年离婚 我是独生女
and I…I didn’t see it coming. You know, we were really close.
完全没料到会如此 我们全家很亲密
We used to call ourselves ‘The Three Musketeers.’
称自己是三剑客
And one night after dinner, my parents sat me down
有一天晚上 爸妈要我坐下来
and told me that they were breaking up.
告诉我 他们要离婚
I thought they were kidding.
我以为他们在开玩笑
And then I saw a suitcase out of the corner of my eye in the hallway.
但是我瞄到走廊上的行李箱
And my dad moved out that night.
我爸当晚就搬走了
I think I cried myself to sleep for, like, well.
有很长一段时间…
Anyway, a long time.
我哭着睡觉
And then I realized that I’d better toughen up.
后来我明白 自己最好要坚强起来
And, well, I got through it and sort of haven’t cried since.
熬过了那段痛苦的日子 从此以后就没哭过
I also haven’t thought of that packed suitcase maybe ever.
也没想过那个行李箱
And that’s my tragic little story. Let’s order. Wait.
这就是我的悲惨故事 点菜吧 等等
You haven’t cried since you were 15?
你十五岁以后就没哭过?
I know it must mean something awful. I know, but.
我知道这样很可怕 但是
You know, I try, but…Believe me.
相信我 我试着哭过
But can we talk about you some more,please? Okay.Yes.Absolutely.
多谈谈你 好吗? 好吧 没问题
Well, I cry all the time. You do not.
我经常哭 才怪
Yeah, I do. More than any woman you’ve ever met.
是真的 我比女人还爱哭
You don’t have to be this nice.
你不必故意安慰我
It happens to be the truth. Really?
这是真的 真的吗?
A good book, a great film, a birthday card, I weep.
一本好书 一部电影 一张生日卡片 都能让我哭
Shut up. I’m a major weeper.
胡说 我是个爱哭鬼
I am.
真的
This was such a great afternoon. It was a really great afternoon.
今天下午过得真愉快 是很愉快
You know, you don’t have to walk me in. It’s freezing, and.
你不必送我进去 外面很冷
You can just say you don’t want me to come in.
你可以直接说你不要我进去
No, it’s not that. I just…No…
我不是这个意思
I’m just tired. I think I’m gonna take a nap.
我只是有点累 想小睡一下
It’s not that. Okay, I’ll pretend I believe you.
没别的意思啦 好吧 我就假装相信你
Graham, I’m leaving in nine days.
格雷姆 我九天后就要离开
And that makes this complicated.
这样会很复杂
And I’m not sure I can handle complicated right now.
我目前无法处理复杂的问题
Okay.
好吧