Make sure they’re all right.
佩西 你帮我给典狱长写份报告
Percy, you make the report to the warden for me.
要强调一切已在控制之中 这可不是写小说
Say the situation’s under control. It’s not a story.
用不着那么惊险悬疑
He won’t appreciate you drawing out the suspense.
那你呢?你就快虚脱了
What about you? You’re about to collapse.
我在这儿守着 等你们回来再说
I’ve got the Mile, till you all come back.
快去吧
Go on now. Go.
走吧 咱们去检查一下
Come on, boy. Let’s get you looked at.
老板 我真的需要见你
Boss, I needs to see you down here.
现在不太方便 约翰.科菲
This is not a good time, John Coffey
一点也不方便
not a good time at all.
但我真的需要见你 老板 我要跟你谈谈
But I needs to see you, boss. I needs to talk to you.
靠近一点
Closer.
老大 你不该这么做
Boss, you know you ain’t supposed to do that.
少管闲事 戴尔
Mind your business, Del.
你想做什么 约翰.科菲 ?
What do you want, John Coffey?
我要帮你
Just to help it.
别害怕
Don’t be afraid.
救命啊
Help!
救命啊
Help!
科菲要杀艾治科姆老板
Coffey’s killing Boss Edgecomb!
救命啊
Help!
你要干什么?
What are you doing?
豪威老大 救命啊
Boss Howell! Help!
斯坦顿老大 快来人啊
Boss Stanton! Somebody, come!
救命啊 豪威老大 斯坦顿老大
Help! Boss Howell! Boss Stanton!
快来人啊 约翰.科菲要杀艾治科姆老板
Somebody, come! John Coffey’s killing Boss Edgecomb!
够了 戴尔 闭嘴
Del, for chrissakes, shut up!
你刚才对我做了什么?
What did you just do to me?
我把它治好了
I helped it.
不是吗
didn’t I help it?
我只是消灭了你体内的疾病
I just took it back, is all.
好累啊 老板
Awful tired now, boss.
累死了
Dog-tired.
老板 他把你怎么了
Boss, what that man do to you?
亲爱的 感觉如何?
Hey, honey. How you feeling?
还不赖
Oh, not too bad.
医生怎么说?
What did the doctor say?
还不是老样子
You know doctors.
打着官腔 没人听得懂
Gobbledygook, mostly.
没人听得懂
Gobbledygook.
晚上吃炖肉
Having stew tonight.
你干什么?
What are you doing?
感觉如何?
What does it feel like?
我知道那是什么感觉
Well, I know what it feels like.
很舒服
It feels great.
我不是在抱怨
Not that I’m complaining
自从我们19岁后就再也没有像这样一晚做四次了
we haven’t gone four times in one night since we were 19.
对 上次是在你妈家
Yeah, we did, at your mom’s.
告诉我这是怎么回事
Wanna tell me what’s going on?
这个…
Well…
其实…
See, the thing is…
其实我昨天没去看毕医生
I never actually made it in to Dr. Bishop’s yesterday.
布鲁托 我是保罗 听着
Brutal, Paul. Listen.
早上我想请个病假
I’m thinking of taking the morning off sick.
你能不能帮我代班?
You cover the fort for me?
太好了 谢谢
That’s well. Thanks.
我一定会很快好起来
Yeah, I’m sure I’ll feel better.
你确定要这么做?
You’re sure you ought to do this?
我不确定自己确定了什么
I’m not sure what I’m sure of.
伯特 有人找你
Burt, you got some company.
要不要喝点冷饮?
Can I offer you a cold drink?
好的 夫人 谢谢你
Yes, ma’am. A cold drink would be fine. Thank you.
汉莫.史密斯先生 你办公室的人说你今天在家
Mr. Hammersmith, your office said l might find you at home.
希望没有打扰你
Hope I’m not troubling you.
那就得看情况了 阁下是…
Well, that depends, Mr…?
保罗·艾治科姆 冷山监狱E区主管
Paul Edgecomb. I’m E Block supervisor up on Cold Mountain.
绿色之旅
The Green Mile.
久仰了 我有几个委托人在里面服刑
Yeah, I’ve heard of it. Lost a few clients your way.
我想向你请教其中一位的事
I’d like to ask you about one.
请坐
Have a seat.
谢谢
Thank you.
哪一个?
Which client?
你引起我的好奇了
Now you got my curiosity aroused.
约翰.科菲
John Coffey.
科菲
Coffey.
给你惹麻烦了?
Causing you problems?
没有 他没有
No, no. Can’t say he is.
他怕黑 有时还会哭
He doesn’t like the dark and cries on occasion
但除此之外…
but other than that….
他还知道哭?我看 他该哭的事可多了
He cries, does he? Got a lot to cry about, I’d say.
你知道他干的好事吧
You know what he did.
我看了法庭记录
I read the court transcript.
谢谢你 夫人
Thank you, missus.
不客气
My pleasure.
孩子们
Kids!
午饭快好了 回来吧
Lunch is about ready. Y’all come on up.
来了 妈妈
Coming, Mama!
你到底想知道什么?
What exactly are you trying to find out?
我在想他以前做过这种伤天害理的事没有
I wonder if he did anything like that before.
怎么?他说了什么?
Why? Has he said anything?
没有 但犯这种事的人
No, but a man who does a thing like that
通常是惯犯
has often developed a taste for it over time.
所以我觉得
It occurred to me
回溯他的犯罪记录应该能很快找出答案
that it might be easy enough to follow his back trail. Find out.
像他这样体型 肤色的人
A man his size and colored to boot
应该很容易就查出来
can’t be that hard to trace.
话虽如此 但事实却相反
You’d think so, but you’d be wrong.
相信我 我们试过了
Believe me, we tried.
他的记录净如白纸
Like he’d dropped out of the sky.
这怎么可能?
How can that be?
现在是经济大萧条 全国有三分之一的人失业
We’re in a depression. A third of the country’s out of work.
人们四处迁徙
People are drifting by the thousands
只为找个工作
looking for jobs, for greener grass.
就算是科菲这样的巨人也不再引人注目
Even a giant like Coffey wouldn’t get noticed everywhere.
直到他杀了那两个女孩
Not until he kills a couple of little girls.
我承认 他人很奇怪
He is strange, I admit
但他似乎全无暴戾之气
But there doesn’t seem to be any real violence in him.
我对暴戾之徒很了解 汉莫.史密斯先生
I know violent men, Mr. Hammersmith.
我整天和这种人打交道
I deal with them day in and day out.
你找我不是为了问他之前是否杀过人
You didn’t come to ask me whether he killed before.
你是想问我认为他有没有杀人
You came to see if I think he did it at all.
你觉得呢
Do you?
这个案子再清楚不过了
One seldom sees a less ambiguous case.
他被人发现时手中正抱着受害者
He was found with the victims in his arms.
但你却为他辩护
And yet you defended him.
人人都有权请律师辩护
Everyone is entitled to a defense.
孩子们 吃饭了
Kids! Lunch!
听妈妈的话
Y’all listen to your mama!
给你说件事
I’ll tell you something.
请注意听
You listen close too
这件事你也应该该知道
because it might be something you need to know.
愿闻其详
I’m listening.
我们以前养了一只狗
We had us a dog.
是只可爱的小土狗
Just a sweet mongrel.
你知道吧
You know the kind.
从某种程度上说 好的土狗就像黑鬼
Well, in many ways, a good mongrel dog is like a Negro.
你会去了解它
You get to know it.
也常常会爱上它
Often, you get to love it.
虽然没有实用价值
It is of no particular use
但仍把它留在身边 因为你觉得它也爱你