I don’t care where you go
只要别留在这儿就行
as long as it’s not here at this moment.
好吧
All right.
天啊 我手指断了
God, you bust my finger.
这样你就不会傻笑了 对吧
I wiped that grin off your face, didn’t I?
真该死 佩西 你给我滚出去
Goddamn it, Percy,get the hell off my block!
去你♥妈♥的♥ 佩西
Fuck you, Percy.
我们会叫医生来的 戴尔 你别吵了
We’ll get that looked at, Del. In the meantime, stay quiet.
如果我让哈利帮你解开脚镣手铐
I let Harry take those chains off you
你会听话吗
You gonna be nice?
你叫约翰.科菲
Your name is John Coffey.
是的 老板
Yes, sir, boss.
与咖啡同音 但拼写不同
Like the drink, only not spelt the same.
你识字吗
You can spell, can you?
只会写自己的名字 老板
Just my name, boss.
J…O–
我叫保罗.艾治科姆
My name is Paul Edgecomb.
如果我不在 你可以找特维格先生
If I’m not here, you can ask for Mr. Terwilliger
豪威先生或是斯坦顿先生 就是那三位
Mr. Howell or Mr. Stanton.These gentlemen right there.
有问题吗
Questions?
晚上睡觉时会熄灯吗
Do you leave the light on after bedtime?
有时我很怕黑
Because I get a little scared in the dark sometime
特别是在陌生的地方
If it’s a strange place.
这里到晚上还算比较亮
It stays pretty bright around here all night long.
走廊灯一直会开着
We keep a few lights burning in the corridor.
走廊?
The corridor?
就在外面
Right out there.
坐下吧
You can sit.
我也没办法了 老板
I couldn’t help it, boss.
我试着挽救 但来不及了
I tried to take it back, but it was too late.
迪恩 带戴尔去医务室检查手指骨折没有
Dean,take Del to the infirmary, see if those fingers are broken.
肯定断了 我都听见骨头碎掉的声音了
Of course they are. I heard the bones crack.
你没听见他押着那个大个子进来时
You hear what he was yelling
嘴里在乱嚷什么?
when you brought the dummy in?
怎么可能没听见 整个监狱都听得见
How could l miss it? The whole prison heard.
该死的佩西
Goddamn Percy.
你恐怕得向上级解释为什么把他赶了出去
You’ll have to answer for sending him off the Mile.
我自有办法
I’ll chew that food when I have to.
我只想听听这个新犯人的事
Right now I wanna hear about this new inmate.
除了他庞大身躯之外
Aside from how big he is.
大得令人发指啊
Monstrous big. Damn.
他看起来十分温和
He seems meek enough.
会不会是个智障?
Is he retarded, you figure?
看来他们这次是送了个低能儿来
Looks like they sent us an imbecile to execute.
管他低不低能 他真的是罪该万死
lmbecile or not, he deserves to fry for what he done.
冷血至极啊
Make your blood curdle.
到底怎么了?
What?! For God’s sake, what?
女儿们不见了
The girls! The girls are gone!
爸爸 快看 有血
Papa! Papa, look! There’s blood.
我的天啊
Oh, my God.
孩子他妈 快打电♥话♥
Goddamn it, woman! Get on that phone.
告诉他们我们向西去了
You tell them we headed west.
记住了 我们向西去了
You mind what I’m saying! We headed west!
总机 有人吗
Central! Are you on the line?
救命啊 有人绑走了我女儿
Oh, God, please. Somebody took my little girls.
凯蒂
Katie!
柯拉
Cora!
上帝啊
Jesus.
上帝啊
Jesus.
老子杀了你
I’ll kill you!
老子杀了你
I’ll kill you!
我也没办法了
I couldn’t help it.
我试着挽救 但来不及了
I tried to take it back, but it was too late.
小子 你因谋杀罪被逮捕了
Boy, you under arrest for murder.
打扰你了吗?
I interrupt?
没有 我快看完了
Well, I’m just about done.
你太太怎么样了?
How’s your pretty gal?
梅琳达不太好 保罗
Melinda’s not so well, Paul.
而且很糟
Not so well at all.
头还是疼?
More headaches?
昨天又卧床不起
Got laid up with another one yesterday.
这次最严重
Worst one yet.
我明天要带她去维克斯堡
I’ll be taking her over to Vicksburg next day
做检查
so for some tests.
照个头部X光什么的
Head x-rays and who knows what else.
她害怕自己会死
She is scared to death.
老实说 我也怕
Truth to tell, so am I.
如果X光能检查出来
If it’s something they can see on the x-ray
也许还有救
Maybe they can fix it.
也许吧
Maybe.
刚收到的
This just came in.
比特巴克的死刑执行日期
DOE on Bitterbuck.
你不会只是来给我送这个的吧
You didn’t come down here to hand me a DOE.
我20分钟前
I had an angry call from the state capitol
接到州府的来电
about 20 minutes ago.
你真的把佩西.维特莫赶出去了?
Is it true you ordered Percy Wetmore off the block?
没错
It is.
我相信你一定有充份的理由 保罗
Now, I’m sure you had reason, Paul
但你得明白
but like it or not
州长的老婆就这么一个侄子
the wife of the governor has only one nephew
他碰巧就叫佩西.维特莫
and his name happens to be Percy Wetmore.
小佩西打电♥话♥向姑姑
Little Percy calls his aunt
边说边哭 像个娘们
And squeals like a schoolroom sissy.
他有没有说他今天早上
He mention he assaulted a prisoner this morning
因为不爽痛殴了犯人?
out of sheer petulance?
爱德华.戴尔的左手被他打断了三只手指
Broke three fingers on Eduard Delacroix’s left hand.
这个我倒不知道 他姑姑一定也不知道
I didn’t hear that. I’m sure she didn’t either.
他卑鄙 粗心又愚蠢
He is mean, careless and stupid
这种人在监狱很危险
and that’s a bad combination in a place like this.
他迟早捅出个什么大篓子
Sooner or later, he’ll get somebody hurt or worse.
忍♥忍♥吧 保罗
Stick with it, Paul.
他待不了多久了
It may not be much longer.
有可靠消息说
I have it on good authority that
佩西申请调至布莱尔脊
Percy has an application in at Briar Ridge.
布莱尔脊?那个精神病院?
Briar Ridge? The mental hospital.
做行政工作
Administration job.
薪水更高
Better pay.
那他为什么还在这里?
Then why is he still here?
他的申请肯定能通过啊
He can get that application pushed through.
凭他的关系 想干什么工作都行
With his connections, he could have any state job he wants.
知道我怎么想的吗
You know what I think?
我认为他就想亲眼看看行刑
I think he just wants to see one cook up close.
他的机会来了 对吧
Well, he’ll get his chance, then. Won’t he?
也许他心满意足后就会离开
Maybe then he’ll be satisfied and move on.
在这段时间里
In the meantime
你俩得和睦相处
you’ll keep the peace?
没问题
Of course.
没问题
Of course.
谢谢你 保罗
Thank you, Paul.
哈尔
Hal
代我问候梅琳达
You give Melinda my love, okay?
我相信照了X光之后就会确定她并无大碍
I’m sure that x-ray will turn out to be nothing at all.
那是当然
You bet.
音乐太大声了?
床上好空
There’s just this empty spot in the bed
我老公本应在上面
where my husband sleeps.
他让我转告你他今晚睡不着
He said to tell you he’s having a little trouble with that tonight.
你在为梅琳达和哈尔担心吗
Worried about Melinda and Hal?
为了这个睡不着?
Is that what’s got you up?
对
Yeah, that…
还有别的事
…and things.
别的事