– Thank you, sir. – You’re very welcome.
先生们 女士们
Gentlemen and lady.
这里就是…
This is…
焦点所在
the hot spot.
你们要自己冒险闯入
You will enter it at your own risk.
托森先生, 去年的辩手们怎么样了?
Mr. Tolson, what about the debaters from last year?
不要对你已经知道答案的问题提问了
Don’t ask a question you already know the answer to.
站起来 你第一个
Get up here. You’ll be first.
过来吧 到焦点这儿来
Get right here. Hot spot.
辩论首先要从陈述观点开始
Debate starts with a proposition.With an idea…”Resolved:
论题:联邦政♥府♥应该对童工加以规范
Child labor should be regulated by the federal government.”
第一位辩手做正方
The first debater argues the affirmative.
正方就意味着你支持什么
Affirmative means that you are for something.
里德先生你来做正方
Mr. Reed will argue the affirmative.
第二位辩手做反方
The second debater argues the negative.
反方意味着什么呢?
Negative means that you are what?
反对
Against.
说得好 伯吉斯先生
Brilliant, Mr. Burgess.
你要陈述正方观点 里德先生 开始吧
You shall argue the affirmative, Mr. Reed. Go.
好的先生 我想从引用诗人克莱亨的诗作开始
Well, sir, I’d begin with a quote from the poet Cleghorn.
高尔夫球场离磨坊是如此的接近
“The golf links lie so near the mill,
因此几乎每天
“that almost every day,
童工们都会向外张望 然后
“the laboring children can look out and…
然后
and…”
看到那些在玩乐的人们
# And watch the men at play #
这就是你从去年学到的东西吗 里德先生?
Is that what you learned from last year, Mr. Reed?
开始说一件事情 却不了了之了?
To start something, and not finish it?
– 是吗? – 不是 先生
– Is it? – No, sir.
坐下吧
Sit down.
下一个是谁呢?你?站起来
Who’s next? You? Stand up.
站起来
Stand up.
很晚了 你还要躲藏多久呢?
It’s getting late. How much longer can you hide?
我并没有躲藏 我是从别的学校转学过来的
I’m not hiding, sir. I transferred from my college
刚到这儿 想加入你的辩论队
just to come here and try out for your team.
深受感动啊 你叫什么名字?
I am deeply moved. What’s your name?
萨曼莎·布可(布可)
Samantha Booke.
书(Book)?(谐音 差一个字母e)
Book?
还有一个”e”
With an “e.”
请起立 布可小姐 带”e”的
Arise, Miss Booke. With an “e.”
到这里来 带”e”的布可小姐
Into the hot spot, Miss Booke with an “e.”
你知道的 还从没有女生参加过辩论队
You know, there’s never been a female on the debating team, ever.
是的 我知道
Yes, sir. I know that.
你为什么觉得自己会成为第一个呢?
What makes you think you should be the first?
因为 先生 我觉得我不比…
Because, sir, I am just as qualified as…
– 不要口吃 布可小姐 – 这里的其他人差
– quit stammering, Miss Booke. …anybody else here.
– 性别应该不是… – 辩题是
– My gender has nothing… – “Resolved:
福利措施不利于让人努力工作
Welfare discourages hard work.”
– 你做反方 – 好吧
– You’ll argue the negative. – All right.
福利措施会消磨掉人们 工作欲望中最重要的因素
Welfare takes away a man’s strongest reason for working,
那就是求生欲
which is survival.
并会使穷♥人♥们意志消沉
And that weakens the will of the poor.
你准备怎么反驳啊 带”e”的布可小姐
How would you rebut that, Miss Booke with an “e”?
我会说 并不是这样
I would say it does not.
多数新的条款都是针对小孩子
Most of the New Deal goes to children, anyway,
还有残疾人 以及老人
and to the handicapped, and to old people…
– 是事实还是推断呢? – 是事实
– Is that fact, or conjecture? – It is a fact.
– 大点声 – 是事实
– Speak up. – It is a fact.
– 信息来源呢? – 总统?
– What’s your source? – The president.
– 美国的吗? – 是的 先生
– Of the United States? – Yes, sir.
这是你的主要信息来源吗? 你跟罗斯福总统亲自谈过?
That’s your primary source? You spoke to President Roosevelt personally?
当然没有 我没有跟他面对面谈过
Of course not. I did not speak to him personally,
但我听过他的”炉边倾谈”
but I listened to his Fireside Chat.
– 哦 是广播啊 – 是的
– Oh, a radio broadcast. – Yes.
– 还有其他的信息渠道吗? – 那个…
– Any other sources? – Well…
其他的信息渠道?
Any other sources?
是的 还有其他的
Yes, there are other sources.
就像是看到一个母亲无法 抚养自己孩子时的眼神一样
Like that look in a mother’s eyes when she can’t feed her kids.
如果没有了福利措施 托森先生, 人们就会挨饿
Without welfare, Mr. Tolson, people would be starving.
谁会挨饿 布可小姐
Who’s starving, Miss Booke?
– 没有工作的人啊 – 伯吉斯先生也在这儿呢
– The unemployed are starving. – Mr. Burgess here.
他也没有工作 显然也没有被饿着
He’s unemployed. Obviously, he’s not starving.
你被套住了 布可小姐
I drew you in, Miss Booke.
你给出了一个有问题的前提 然后你后面的三段论就分崩离析了
You gave a faulty premise, so your syllogism fell apart.
– 三段论? – 你的逻辑出现了问题
– “Syllogism”? – Your logic fell apart.
主要前提:没工作的人会挨饿
Major premise: The unemployed are starving.
次要前提:伯吉斯先生没有工作
Minor premise: Mr. Burgess is unemployed.
结论:伯吉斯先生会挨饿
Conclusion: Mr. Burgess is starving.
你的前提建立在了一个有缺点的假设上
Your major premise was based on a faulty assumption.
典型的谬误 谁来下一个?
Classic fallacy. Who’s next?
你是对的
You were right.
先说说你的名字
Tell us your name.
我叫亨利·罗 也带个”e”
I’m Henry Lowe. With an “e.”
好吧 罗先生 我指定一个题目
All right, Mr. Lowe. I will name a subject.
你说几个词 引用自世界名著
You speak a few words… a pertinent quote from world literature.
开始吧
Go ahead.
美丽
Beauty.
我听很老很老的人说过
“I heard the old, old men say,
所有的美丽都会消逝 就像流水一样
all that is beautiful drifts away, like the waters.”
很好
Very good.
历史 这次要说出作者
History. And name the author this time.
历史就像是我想努力从中醒来的噩梦一样
“History is a nightmare, from which I am trying to awake.”
詹姆士·裘伊斯
James Joyce.
自怨自艾
Self-pity.
我从未见过野蛮的事物会为自己难过
“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.”
D.H.罗伦斯
D.H. Lawrence.
我喜欢D.H.罗伦斯 你有没有读过…
[Whispers] I love D.H. Lawrence. Have you ever read…
法默先生
Mr. Farmer.
是的 先生?
Yes, sir?
我脑后也有眼睛 两边还有耳朵 起立
I have eyes in the back of my head and ears on both sides. Stand up.
跟我说一下伯利恒钢铁公♥司♥这个名字的反讽意味
Tell me the irony in the name “Bethlehem Steel Corporation.”
伯利恒是基♥督♥的出生地 和平的圣地
Bethlehem is the birthplace of Jesus, Prince of Peace,
伯利恒钢铁公♥司♥却为战争制♥造♥武器
and Bethlehem Steel makes weapons of war.
很好 坐下
Very good. Sit down.
很好
Good.
谁是下一个啊?
Who’s next?
还不错 我们如何知道我们做的好坏呢
That went well. How will we know how we did?
萨曼莎
Samantha.
萨曼莎
Samantha.
托森很难缠 是不是?
Tolson’s tough, isn’t he?
他当然是了
He sure is.
我叫詹姆士
I’m James.
你的父亲是詹姆士·法默博士?
Is your father Dr. James Farmer?
是… 没错 是他
Yes… yes, he is.
我跟他学习神学 他可真是巧舌如簧
I’m taking theology from him, and that man speaks in tongues.
法语 希腊语 希伯来语 拉丁语
French, Greek, Hebrew, Latin…
他会说几种语言啊?
How many languages does he speak?
– 7种 – 7种?
– Seven languages. – “Seven languages.”
他一定是德克萨斯州最聪明的人
He must be the smartest man in Texas.
哦 也说明不了什么问题
Well, that’s not saying much.
那你为什么想参加辩论队?
So why do you want to be on the team?
– 我觉得会是个不错的训练 – 为了什么啊?
– I think it would be good training. – For what?
当律师啊
Bein’ a lawyer.
律师?太棒了
Lawyer? That’s great.
你知道咱们州有多少个黑人女性从事法律工作吗?
You know how many Negro women practice law in this state?
– 两个 – 没错
– Two. – Exactly.
其中一个是我的姑姑
One of them’s my aunt.
哦 看看你 法默先生
Well, look at you, Mr. Farmer.
不过 你到底多大了呢?
How old are you, anyway?
马上就16岁了…
I’ll be 16…
还有21个月
in 21 months.
年轻的女士 詹姆士 我刚想要谢谢你呢

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!