她不能唱歌♥吗?
She can’t sing?
这个小女儿不会唱歌♥。
The little daughter cannot sing.
总是有女士来我这儿唱歌♥。
Always the ladies come to me to be singers.
他们没有声音,但他们唱歌♥。
They have no voice, but they sing.
遇到一个不会唱歌♥的人就像呼吸了新鲜空气一样。
It is like fresh air to meet someone who cannot sing and knows it.
等你长大了,多洛小姐,不要改变你会成为百万女人中的一个。
When you grow up, Signorina Doro, do not change and you will be one woman in the millions.
我们是朋友,不是吗?
We’re friends, huh?
多萝西。哦!
Dorothy. Oh!
卡鲁索先生,真是个惊喜。
Signor Caruso, what a wonderful surprise.
谢谢。哈格尔小姐,我是来道歉的。
Gracias. Miss Hagger, I come to make the apology.
我后悔我称之为老…对不起,我得走了。
I regret I call that old… Excuse me, I must go now.
-但是卡鲁索先生。——谢谢。
– But Signor Caruso. – Thank you.
非常愉快的。再见。
Very pleasant. Arrivederci.
-到底怎么了?-那人疯了。
– What on earth? – The man’s insane.
但是卡鲁索先生,发生了什么事?
But Signor Caruso, what happened?
今天早上,我无意中对本杰明先生和哈格小姐大开了口。
This morning, by accident, I make the big insult to Mr. Benjamin and Miss Hagger.
你做了吗?
You did?
所以现在我来道歉,但我不能这么做,因为要道歉,我必须再次侮辱这位老人。
So now I come to make the apology and that I cannot do because to make the apology I must insult the old man again.
你说什么?
What did you say?
我称他为哈格尔小姐的爸爸。
I called him Miss Hagger’s papa.
看,你笑。
See, you laugh.
其他人都笑了,但他并不觉得好笑。
Everybody else laughed, but he does not think it is funny.
不,他不会。
No, he wouldn’t.
也许你能帮我。你很了解他?
Maybe you help me. You know him well?
很好。
Quite well.
他是我的父亲。
He’s my father.
Mama-mia。
Mama-mia.
带着房♥子吗?
Carrying the house?
不,这么多人,我很紧张。
No, I’m nervous, all these people.
为什么画廊会让天空变得清澈。
Why the galleries go clear the sky.
忘记你的画廊。只有钻石马蹄铁才算数。
Forget the galleries. Only the Diamond Horseshoe counts.
他们既是赞助人又是批评家。法官和陪审团。
They’re patron and critic. Judge and jury.
我不喜欢它。
I do not like it.
钻石很硬,很冷,没有感觉。
Diamonds are hard, cold without the feeling.
当他们喜欢上你的时候,他们就是世界上最精彩的观众;当他们为你欢呼的时候,恩里科,你就进入名人堂了。
When they like you they’re the most wonderful audience in the world, and when they cheer you, Enrico, you’re in the hall of fame, I mm o rta I.
-你不喜欢他吗?——没有。
– Didn’t you like him? – No.
他和他的表演都没有。
Neither him nor his performance.
签下他是个严重的错误。
It was a serious mistake to sign him.
– ? ?阿鲁索的前任…??——繁荣。
– ??aruso has the ex…?? – Exuberance.
? ? . .意大利农民的。??
??..of an Italian peasant.??
? ?很明显他不是让·德·雷斯克??
??t is clear that he is no Jean de Reszke??
你为什么要模仿德·雷斯克?你是你自己。
Why should you copy de Reszke? You are yourself.
这对世界其他地方来说已经足够了。
It was enough for the rest of the world.
在这里就够了。
That is enough for here.
– ? ?哈格尔iss挣扎着…??——勇敢。
– ??iss Hagger struggled Va…?? – Valiantly.
? ? . .让表演保持活力。
??..to keep the performance alive.
然而,卡鲁索先生使她难以忍♥受。
SignorCaruso, however, was too much for her.
因为精致的抛光机使用的钻石马蹄铁。
For the Diamond Horseshoe used to the delicate polisher.
Jean de Reszke, Caruso太中产阶级了,不可能…??
Jean de Reszke, Caruso was too bourgeois to be…??
够了!拜托!
Enough! Please!
-我出去。-我和你一起去,恩里科。
– I go out. – I go with you, Enrico.
这一次,朋友们,我还是一个人比较好。
This time, my friends, it is better that I be alone.
——早上。本杰明先生住这儿吗?
– Morning. – Signor Benjamin live here?
-是的,先生-我是卡鲁索
– Yes, sir. – I’m Caruso.
我听说我能在这里找到加蒂·卡萨扎。
I was told I’d find Gatti-Casazza here.
我很抱歉,但有件很重要的事,这件事也很重要。我会在这里等。
I’m sorry but there’s an important-This is important too. I’ll wait here.
我会尽力的,先生。
I’ll see what I can do, sir.
请允许我提醒您,先生,作为大都会剧院的导演,演员都是我编的。
Permit me to remind you, sir, that as director of the Metropolitan, I make up the casts.
也是他们最好的导演,亲爱的加蒂。
And the best director they’ve had, my dear Gatti.
所以我相信你会同意再上演一场像昨晚那样的演出黑格尔小姐就会被贴上他失败的标签。
That’s why I’m sure you’ll agree that another performance like last night and Miss Heggar will be labeled with him a failure.
我建议你把卡鲁索从演员阵容中拉出来。
I advise you to pull Caruso out of the cast.
公园。公园:路易斯!
Park. Park: Louise!
拜托,让我来处理。
Please, let me handle this.
但这对任何艺术家来说都是一件可怕的事而卡鲁索是个伟大的艺术家。
But this is a terrible thing to do to any artist and Caruso is a great artist.
我认为他很出色。
I thought he was very good.
我亲爱的孩子,我允许你留下来听,希望你能学习。
My dear child, I permitted you to stay and listen in the hope that you might learn.
怎么了,芬奇?
What is it, Finch?
有一个绅士…我会亲自告诉你的。
There’s a gentleman… I will tell you myself.
加蒂,我不再在美国唱歌♥了。
Gatti, I sing no more in America.
你听到的只是本杰明先生的意见。
What you have heard is only Mr. Benjamin’s opinion.
– Park:评论家们同意我的观点。——沮丧的音乐家。
– Park: The critics agree with me. – Frustrated musicians.
你能说他昨晚的表演是贵族的表演吗?
Can you say his performance last night was that of a nobleman?
现在让·德·雷斯克…比较是愚蠢的。
Now Jean de Reszke… It is foolish to compare.
唱歌♥,是的,但别的什么都没有。
The singing, yes, but nothing else.
他高而我矮,他老而我年轻。
He is tall and I’m short, he is old and I am young.
-他是个绅士。-我是个农民。
– He is a gentleman. – And I’m a peasant.
我走了。我不喜欢打架。
I go now. I do not like fights.
恩里科。
Enrico.
-我们以后再谈。-没什么好谈的
– We talk things over later. – There’s nothing to talk about.
我从城市的一端走到另一端,我决定了。我不在美国唱歌♥。
I’ve walked the city from one end to the other and I have decided. I do not sing in America.
本杰明先生,你刚刚毁掉了一个歌♥手你还要再给我一个吗?
Well, Signor Benjamin, you have just destroyed one singer have you another one to give me?
– Park:打电♥话♥给Jean de Reszke。——不可能的。
– Park: Phone Jean de Reszke. – Impossible.
他不想再唱歌♥了。他退休了。
He doesn’t want to sing anymore. He’s retired.
他,他没有排练过。
He, he hasn’t rehearsed.
在这种紧急情况下,他会唱歌♥。
For this emergency, he will sing.
未婚女子Doro。
Signorina Doro.
我坐下来和你一起哭泣。
I sit and cry with you please.
卡鲁索,我得为我父亲道歉。
Oh, Caruso, I must apologize for my father.
也许他是对的。报纸,观众——哦,不。
Maybe he was right. The newspapers, the audience-Oh, no.
不,你演得很好。
No, you were wonderful.
谢谢你,piccina。
Thank you, piccina.
意思是小女孩。
That means little girl.
啊!我以为征服美国很容易抓住它的鼻子。
Ah! I thought it was going to be easy to conquer America take it by the nose.
但这里不像欧洲。这是一个寒冷的国家。
But it is not like Europe here. It’s a cold country.
哦,不。
Oh, no.
美国是一个有着博大胸怀的大国。
America is a big country with a big heart.
也许就像伦敦的那种茶。
Maybe it’s like that tea in London.
习惯它需要时间。
It takes time to get used to it.
-再见,多萝西小姐,我不干了。——图里奥。
– Goodbye, Miss Dorothy, I quit. – Tullio.
不管是不是芭蕾舞,我都有权发表我的意见。
Ballet or no ballet, I have a right to my opinion.
现在发生了什么?
What happened now?
昨晚你父亲问我对这位新男高音的看法。
Your father asked me what I thought of the new tenor last night.
我说快乐,? ?所以他很生气,骂我是愚蠢的外国人。
I said ??ine,??so he gets mad and calls me a stupid foreigner.
我出生在这个国家。
I was born in this country.
我和他一样是一个优秀的美国人,我知道的音乐也一样多。
I am as good an American as he is and I know as much music.
-你喜欢Caruso?-是的。
– You like Caruso? – Yes, I did.
-画廊听起来不错。——可是菱形马蹄铁戏院——旁听席上的座位多一些,别忘了,先生。
– And the gallery sounded fine. – But the Diamond Horseshoe-There are more seats in the gallery and don’t you forget it, mister.
哦,我就是这个意思。
Oh, that’s what I meant.
这个国家人山人海,大多数人都坐在画廊里。
This country is full of people and most of them sit in the galleries.
为他们唱歌♥,卡鲁索先生,你会喜欢美国的。
Sing for them, Mr. Caruso and you’d like America.
-卡鲁索?——是的。
– Caruso? – Yes.
-他不喜欢这里吗?-他们不喜欢我。
– Doesn’t he like it here? – They don’t like me.
什么事让你这么着急?你只在这里呆了两个星期。
Well, what’s your hurry? You’re only here two weeks.
想当总统?
Expect to be president already?
你给歌♥剧演员穿过衣服吗?
Did you ever dress an opera singer?
他们和其他人有什么不同吗?
Are they any different from anyone else?
好。
Good.
-你喜欢这种工作吗?- Si。
– You like this kind of work? – Si.
-你喜欢我的朋友吗?- Si。
– You like my friends? – Si.
你喜欢图里奥吗?
You like Tullio?
-你保住这份工作吧。——谢谢。
– You keep the job. – Grazie.
用鼻烟来清理头脑。
Snuff to clear the head.
喝威士忌放松喉咙。
Whiskey to relax the throat.
水把威士忌酒灌下去。
Water to wash down the whiskey.
-窗帘,卡鲁索先生。——准备好了。
– Man 1: Curtains, Signor Caruso. – Ready.
我的好运片。
My good luck piece.
我准备好了。
I’m ready.
我和你一起走上舞台,朋友,为了好运。
I walk to the stage with you, amico, for luck.
谢谢。
Grazie.
今晚,你将听到一场值得大都会乐队表演的演出。
Tonight, you will hear a performance worthy of the Metropolitan