艇长先生
Herr Kapitän.
你认为我们冒险认为那个图像是假回波明智吗?
You think we are wise in risking that image to be a false echo?
明智?权宜之计而已
Wise? Expedient.
时间要紧,海尼
Time is important, Heini,
我们在水下行进就会太慢
and we would travel too slowly underwater.
48小时后我们跟突击舰M号♥会合
In 48 hours, we rendezvous with Raider M.
我们拿上那本缴获的英国密♥码♥本
We take the captured British code book
然后带着它回家
and we go home with it.
这才是重要的事
And this is the important thing.
不是那个密♥码♥本
Not the code book,
而是因为等我们拿到它,就能回家
but because, when we have it, we can go home.
味道像是油和舱底污水还有绿霉
Tastes like oil and bilge and green mold.
坐下,海尼
Sit down, Heini.
味道就像一艘U艇
Tastes like a U-boat.
我在U艇上待得太久了
I’ve been in the U-boats too long, Heini.
曾经有一段时间我怀着饱满的心情出海
There was a time when I went to sea with a fresh heart.
那是很多年前了
That was many years ago.
现在我只能想着回家
Now I can only think of going home.
– 你还要吗? – 不要了,艇长先生
– You want more? – No more, Herr Kapitän.
你以为我喝太多了吧?
You think I take too much?
刚够我睡觉的
Just enough to sleep.
没有它我没法休息,我思考太多了
I cannot rest without it. I think too much.
永远不要思考,海尼
Never think, Heini.
当一个好战士,永远不要思考
Be a good warrior and never think.
思考让你付出一个惩罚
You pay a penalty for thinking.
让你不能休息
You cannot rest.
我教导我这些儿子成为好的战士
I taught these sons of mine to be good warriors.
国家,职责,不问问题
Country. Duty. Ask no question.
其中一个躺在海底
One is at the bottom of the sea,
这个在燃烧的飞机里化成渣
and this one is a cinder in a burned airplane.
可我是高兴的
And I’m glad.
那就是战士的死法
That’s the way for warriors to die.
年轻,怀有信念
Young, and with faith.
我已经活得太久了
I have lived too long.
我们是朋友吧,海尼?
We are friends, Heini?
我从做实习军官时就跟着你
I have been with you since I was a cadet.
那不是我问你的
That’s not what I asked you.
我不知道
I do not know.
有时候我害怕你
Sometimes I am afraid of you.
很多时候我不理解你
Many times I do not understand you.
我不确定我们是朋友
I am not certain we are friends.
我们是朋友,海尼,相信这一点
We are friends, Heini. Believe that.
我们是朋友
We are friends.
因为我们是朋友,我要告诉你一件事
Because we are friends, I’ll tell you something.
我厌恶这场战争
I am sick of this war.
这不是一场好战争
It’s not a good war.
你不记得第一次大战
You don’t remember the first one.
我当时是U艇上的候补军士
I was a Fähnrich in the U-boats.
我那时多么自豪
And how proud I was!
我们乘那些小沙丁鱼罐头出海
We went out in those little sardine tins,
要是我们下潜,我们不一定可以确保再上来
and if we submerged, we couldn’t always be sure we’d come up again.
我们玩了一场好游戏
It was a good game we played.
船长会通过潜望镜 观测一个目标
The captain would look through his periscope and sight a target,
然后他在脑袋里做计算
and then he did arithmetic in his head
然后说:“鱼雷,发射”
and said “Torpedo los.”
你知道吗?
And you know something?
有时候鱼雷甚至出不了发射管
Sometimes the torpedo wouldn’t even leave the tube.
要是那样的话
And if it did
撞到什么东西我们就走大运了
we were most lucky to hit something.
而现在…
And now…
现在我在潜望镜里看着,它给我距离和速度
now I look in the periscope and it gives me the distance and the speed.
我把这些信息传给攻击指挥台
I pass this information to the attack table,
机器运转,那些灯闪烁着
and the machinery turns and the lights flash
我们就得到了答案
and we get the answer.
鱼雷奔向它的目标
The torpedo runs to its target,
这里面没有人的错误
and there’s no human error in this.
他们已经把人的错误从战争中拿掉了,海尼
They’ve taken human error out of war, Heini.
他们已经把人从战争中拿掉了
They’ve taken the human out of war.
那时候战争不一样
War was different then.
它把钢铁注入国家的脊梁
It put iron in the country’s backbone,
给了人们勇敢的回忆
gave them brave memory.
而且即使是战败,也给人荣誉
And even in defeat, it gave them honor.
但这场战争没有荣誉
But there is no honor in this war.
回忆会是丑陋的,即使我们胜利了
The memories will be ugly, even if we win.
要是我们死了
And if we die,
上帝不会与我们同在
we die without God.
你知道这一点吗,海尼
You know that, Heini?
我听从你说的话,艇长先生
I listen to what you say, Herr Kapitän.
这是一场糟糕的战争
It’s a bad war.
它的理由是扭曲的
Its reason is twisted.
它的目的是黑暗的
Its purpose is dark.
它不是给简单的人打的
It’s not for a simple man.
克雷因中尉上来了,长官
Lieutenant Crain is coming up, sir.
左舷
Port side.
克雷因先生,你们重新装填深水炸♥弹♥的最好时间是多久?
Mr. Crain, what’s your best time on reloading depth charges?
不怎么好,舰长
It’s not so hot, Captain.
我们有些小伙子相当嫩
Some of my boys are pretty green,
不过我可以说…三分钟,或四分钟
but I’d say three minutes, or four.
哦,你们得干得更好才行
Well, you’ve got to do better than that.
我可以试试,长官
I can try, sir.
这不够好
That’s not good enough.
它可能会造成阻止敌人还是阻碍我们自己的区别
It might be the difference between stopping the enemy and getting stopped ourselves.
要是这样的话,长官,我们会做到足够好的
If that’s the case, sir, we’ll be good enough.
我就靠你们了
I’ll depend on it.
韦尔先生?
Mr. Ware?
我要你此时待在操舵室盯着海图,可以吗
I’d like you to stick with the plot in the pilot house for the time being, if you will, please.
是,长官
Aye aye, sir.
看来我们冲出狂风了
Looks like we’ve run out of the squall.
对
Yeah.
舰长,你何不去你的舱室躺一会儿?
Cap, why don’t you lay in your cabin for a while?
我没事,医生
I’m all right, Doctor.
你又找回了舰船的感觉啦?
You getting the feel of a ship again?
要么是这样,要么那艘潜艇是一剂猛药
Either that, or that pig-boat out there is strong medicine.
我搞不懂你是怎么知道那是敌人的
I don’t see how you can know it’s the enemy.
哦,愿意的话你可以称之为第六感
Well, call it a sixth sense if you want to.
我总是能知道雷达束的那一头有一个头脑在转动
I always know when a mind is working the other end of that radar beam.
有意思,我曾听过一个猎人说同样的话
Interesting. I’ve heard hunters say the same thing.
他们能感知猎物的存在
They can sense the presence of game.
无论如何,如果它不是敌人这艘船可就会失望了
In any case, this is going to be a disappointed ship if it isn’t the enemy.
对,他们全都像是嗜血的船员
Yes, they all seem to be a bloodthirsty crew.
大家愿意有一个机会来做他们该做的事
Well, the men would like a chance to do what they’re here for.
此外没有多少存在的理由,至少现在没有
Not much other reason for existence. Not now, anyway.
是啊, 我有时也想知道到底有没有别的理由
No, I sometimes wonder if there ever was another reason.
我懂你的意思
I know what you mean.
我在俄亥俄州有一个婴儿诊所
I had a baby clinic up in Ohio.
它对我来说很重要
It was pretty important to me.
现在它就好像是在另一个星球另一个世纪发生的事物
Now it seems like something that happened on another planet and in another century.
– 你以前做什么工作,舰长? – 这个,大海
– What was your work, Captain? – This. The sea.
– 你是说你以前就是水手? – 一艘货船的三副
– You mean you were a sailor? – Third officer on a freighter
出波士顿, 去利物浦和勒阿弗尔,然后回来
out of Boston, to Liverpool, Le Havre, and back again.
我们有些船员会很高兴知道这个的
Some of our crew will be glad to know that.
我们最老资格的小伙子们正猛烈抱怨得到了一名平民舰长
Our saltiest boys were complaining mightily about getting a civilian skipper.
羽毛货商,我想他们是这么叫的
Feather merchant, I think they call it.
哦,我就是一个羽毛货商
Well, I am a feather merchant.
– 哦,没错,但并不确切 – 不,很确切
– Well, yes, but not exactly. – No, exactly.
在货船上,我们是人对抗大海
On the freighter, we were men against the sea.
这里,我们是人对抗人
Here, we’re men against men.
就像战争中别的每一个平民一样
Like every other civilian in the war,
我必须学会一种新的思考方式
I had to learn a new way to think.
你为什么要换到海军来呢?
Why did you change over to the navy?