你怎么能相信一个会穿亮橘色袜子的人
Would you trust a man who wears brightly colored socks?
我还穿蓝色的呢
Mine are blue.
蓝的?
Blue?
我只是想表明我支持流浪者队(苏甲球队)
Which I hope indicates nothing other than I support Raith Rovers
而我黑色的袜子还在该死的洗衣机里
and that my black ones are in the bloody wash.
(工党委员会)雇佣出租车在城市里四处乱窜,
hiring taxis to scuttle around the city
向自己的工人发出裁员通知。
handing out redundancy notices to its own workers.
他们是该关注
There should be a certain sensitivity
工会的福利和士气
to the welfare of the party and the morale of the party.
但自律是唯一有效的法则
But self-discipline is the only effective discipline.
如果成年人无法遵守这个准则
And If people won’t obey that code, then, as adults,
那么也很难对他们施加其他的法则
it’s very difficult to inflict a different code upon them.
你好,这里是托尼布莱尔
Hi. Tony Blair.
尼尔想见我?Neil wants to see me?
因为什么? Why?
是出什么事了吗 ?
Is there some kind of problem?
你怎么样?
And?
苏格兰事务部。你呢
Scottish Office. You?
财政部
Treasury.
你看起来很惊讶
You look surprised.
我的确是。说实话我以为我只是被喊来随便聊聊
I am. To be honest, I thought I was being called in for a bollocking.
他却让我们做有史以来最年轻的前排发言人。
Instead he’s made us the youngest front bench spokesmen ever.
这倒不是,大卫欧文更年轻
Not quite. David Owen was even younger.
我们也是,这还不错
Still, it’s pretty good.
是不错,我几乎要为我拒绝他们而感到遗憾了
Yes, it is. So good I’m almost sorry I said no.
这事儿简直疯了,就像进了死胡同
It would be madness, a cul-de-sac.
而且你别忘了
Besides, you forget,
我从15岁起就开始关注苏格兰政♥治♥了。
I’ve been up to my eyes in Scottish politics since I was 15.
我愿意等着更好的事情发生。
I’d be better off waiting for something better to come along.
如果没有更好的事呢
If it doesn’t?
那我也愿意接受这个风险
It’s a risk I’m prepared to take.
职位更高,自然风险更大
Besides, nobody got the big job without taking risks.
更好的职位?
Big job?
行了
Come on.
不要这么看着我
Don’t look at me like that.
这不就是我们从政的目的吗
Isn’t that what we came into politics for? Huh?
我们作为一个团队工作得很愉快
We’re happy to work as a team.
但这都是关于公共服务议题的
It’s all about a cause and public service.
但做得再多也无法改变世界
But deep down you won’t change the world
除非你能到更高层
until you have the big job.
我写的第一份演说里就把自己想作
I drummed up my first speech
工党领袖,那是我才十五岁
as leader of the Labour Party when I was 15.
我一直還在完善那份演说
I’ll have been revising it ever since…
在脑内
in here.
我们真的该走了
We should really get going.
如果我们能早点竞选
Well, if we have an election early,
或许我们还能在八月去度个假
we can go on holiday in August.
是啊
Yeah.
如果竞选被延后了…
If we have an election late…
我们哪儿也去不了
We won’t go at all.
是的,没有假期了
No holiday. That’s right.
被信任的感觉真好
It is wonderful to be entrusted
让我们的政党来带领国家
with the government of this country,
这个伟大的国家,又一次
this great country, once again.
没错,这是保守党的第三次大胜
Yes, it was the third successive defeat,
但我们 也在不少地方取得了卓越的收获
but significant gains were made in a number of areas.
听着,我不是强迫你要写点什么
Look, I can’t force you to write anything.
但你可以就引用我刚刚说的
You just have to take my word for it.
工党不会就此沮丧衰败
The party is absolutely not downhearted.
为什么?因为我们都在服用强力抗抑郁药
Why? Because we’re all on powerful anti-depressants.
尼尔让约翰史密斯做他的影子财政大臣
Neil’s made John Smith his Shadow Chancellor.
好极了
That’s fantastic.
而戈登是约翰的替补
And Gordon is John’s number 2!
恭喜,我为你高兴
Oh, congratulations. I’m thrilled for you.
谢谢
You’re very generous.
你要知道你离晋升也就差这么一点了
You know you were only this far away from promotion yourself.
下次一定
Next time.
那很好,能和你一起在影子内阁里
That is great. With you in the Shadow Cabinet,
那说明工党
it will show that Labour
终于开始认真对待经济问题了
is finally at last taking the economy seriously.
别,我不喝了
Nope, no drinking for me, I’m afraid.
我要去糊弄那些记者们了,
I must leave to confuse the British press
让他们相信在影子内阁里也没那么多的苏格兰人
into believing there aren’t too many Scots in the Shadow Cabinet.
我写了一些纸条
I wrote some notes…
一些标语去驳斥劳森的观点
slogans to try and get under Lawson’s skin.
我把那些纸条放哪儿了?
Where did I put that?
这呢,也许这才是你在找的
Hang on. Maybe this is what you’re after.
这是玛丽安? That was Marian, wasn’t it?
为什么我们很少见到她?
Why do we see so little of her?
我知道她住在格拉斯哥(苏格兰一城市)
I know she lives in Glasgow,
但她就没想过搬过来和你一起住?
but wouldn’t she ever consider moving down?
对你们的关系也有好处
For the sake of the relationship.
你可要在这儿呆上很长一阵了
Because it has gone on for a while now.
我懂对于已婚男士
I understand for a married man,
特别是一个顾家的已婚男性
a married family man,
单身汉的生活对你来说很有趣
the to-ing and fro-ing of a bachelor must seem intriguing.
没必要这么有防御性吧
There’s no need to be defensive.
我不是在防御你
I wasn’t being defensive.
不,你就是
Yes, you were.
我只是…
I wasn’t. I just…
不知道怎么放松地谈论家务事
don’t find discussing this kind of stuff easy.
你不懂得分享生活
You mean sharing.
什么?
Sorry?
美国人都这么形容
That’s what the Americans call it.
所以你是认为像你一样含蓄
So do you think reticence like yours
是苏格兰人的特质?
is a specifically Scottish trait?
我却觉得苏格兰人最广为人知的两种类型
Because I’ve always thought there are broadly two kinds of Scot:
要么是愤怒的姜黄
The angry ginger kind
要么是忧郁内敛的卫星
and the brooding,intensely private, satellite kind.
当然,你是在以你自己为苏格兰人的蓝本
You ask this as a Scot yourself, of course.
你可以笑话我,但我就是个正统的苏格兰人。
You may mock, but I am a Scot.
哦,我都不知道你还是个黑人和工人阶级呢。
As well as being black and working class.
我就出生在苏格兰
I was born in Scotland.
那在马厩出生你就是匹马了?
Being born in a stable doesn’t make you a horse.
我接受教育也在苏格兰
I was educated in Scotland.
在斐特思公学,爱丁堡的一所英语教学的豪华公立学校
In Fettes, a posh Edinburgh public school filled with English.
世界杯的时候我支持苏格兰队
I support Scotland when they play football.
这场对话就是个悲剧
That’s tragic.
为什么这么说?
Why?
因为你根本就是个英格兰人
Because you’re English!
不止是因为你的口音
Not just in your accent,
还有你的站姿、你说话的方式
but the way you stand, the way you talk.
所有你的一切都在告诉我你是个英格兰人。
我都不知道你在急于否认些什么
Everything about you.I don’t know why you bother denying it.
这是你做过最大的努力了
It’s possibly your biggest strength.
却不是在党内工作上
Not in the Labour Party.
对。我想到一些更重要的东西
No. But somewhere far more important:
是关于选民的
With the electorate.
我们应该一有机会就进行这样的讨论
We should have done this more often while we had the chance.
为什么?就因为我现在的办公室比你大?
Why? Just because I’m getting a bigger office than you?
对,就因为你现在都和一些高层官员们鬼混
Yes. Now you might just drift off with the top brass
而忽视你的英格兰朋友了
and forget your English friends.
你在这条路上会和我走得一样远
You’re going every bit as far on this journey as me.
我很确定
I’ll make sure of that.
然而我们中只有一个能走终点
Only one of us can go all the way.
那会是谁呢?
Which one is that?
那个浑身上下写满了“我要做工党领袖”的人
The one that has “Labour Leader” written all over him.
我有时候也会反思
I sometimes worry.
看着我的一些朋友们在事业上取得成功,
I watch my friends getting on in their careers,
挣了大钱
making good money.
而我们却苦守在反对党把那些都舍弃了
I wonder, are we pissing it all away in Opposition?
答应我继续坚持下去
Promise me you’ll do it.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!