戈登?是我
Gordon? It’s me.
我打来是因为我们该谈谈了
I’ve called because I think we should meet.
我想知道你的决定
I want to know your decision.
你怎么想?
Where did you have in mind?
格拉尼塔?
Granita?
哦,那是在伊斯灵顿。
Well, that’s Islington.
或者我们也可以换个地方。
Or we could go somewhere else.
但是我们得早点开始。我现在要走了。
Let’s make it early. I need to get away.
八点?
8:00?
唔…随你吧。
Um… whatever.
到时候见。
I’ll see you there.
你要许诺他些什么
You’re going to have to offer him something.
哪怕现在只是张空头支票
Even if it’s just hope.
快来吧
Come on.
我们真的该走了
We should really get going.
所以这格拉尼塔是哪里?
So what’s this Granita anyway?
托尼最喜欢一家的餐厅
It’s a restaurant. Tony’s favorite.
从位置就能猜到
The clue’s in the address.
在上街
It’s on Upper Street.
计程车停一下!
Taxi!
谢谢
Thanks.
感谢你能来,戈登
Thanks for coming, Gordon.
埃德你也来了
Ed.
你确定不点点什么
Are you sure you won’t eat?
确定
Positive.
那我们坐下直接谈事吧
Okay, then…et’s get down to it.
我出去走走
I’ll go for a walk around the block.
点餐吗
Ready to order?
我来道兔肉料理
I’ll have the rabbit.
托斯卡纳兔配玉米糊
Tuscan rabbit and a bit of Polenta.
再来杯白葡萄酒
And another glass of white.
一杯水谢谢
I’ll just have a glass of water, thank you.
我很遗憾我们到了这个局面
I’m sorry it’s come to this.
我也很厌恶过去几天发生的一切
I’ve hated the last few days.
怎么会?过几年再看
Why? In years to come,
你可能还会把这当作你最好的时刻呢
you might come to see them as your finest hour.
你怎么能这么说?
How can you say that?
这是一次惊人的政♥变♥
It’s a stunning coup.
你寂寂无名
You’ve come from nowhere,
却最终成为了英国首相
and you’ll probably end up as Prime Minister.
我寂寂无名?
Come from nowhere.
我也许是没有12岁的时候光着脚在铺满鹅卵石的街道上
I may not have been out barefoot on cobble streets
分发党派传♥单♥
handing out party leaflets aged 12,
但我也不是无所作为
but I’ve hardly come from nowhere, either.
我们几乎同时进入议会
You and I have been MPs exactly the same amount of time.
你的一切都是我教的
I taught you everything.
要是没有我,你早就变成了
Without me,you’d have been consigned
党内失败者联盟的一员了
to the dustbin of also-rans in this party.
戈登,我无意冒犯你,但你的这些胡说八道
With respect, Gordon,that’s delusional crap
是对我的支持者们的侮辱
and an insult to my supporters.
我不想让这场对话变成互相诽谤贬低的比赛
I don’t want to get into a slanging match.
听着,我想要的
Look, all I want,
我唯一想要的就是
all I have ever wanted,
离开反对党
is to get out of Opposition
真正成为工党政♥府♥的一部分
and become part of a Labour government.
如果我觉得你作为领袖
If I thought that having you as leader
能比我更好,带来更多的机遇,我会立刻让步
would give us the best chance, I’d step aside in a second.
一堆废话
Bollocks.
我说的实话
That is the truth.
一个做出了这种事的人才不会让步
A man who does what you’ve done does not stand aside.
没错,我们都是为了这个大目标而从政
We all come into politics for the big job.
现在你承认了?
You admit it?
我引用的你的话
Your words, not mine.
我不可能打败约翰的
I could never have beaten John.
你本可以的
You could have tried.
那是你最好的机会,而你放弃了
That was your chance,and you didn’t take it.
现在机会到我手上了
Now it’s my turn.
也不去管我们曾经的共识了?
Despite our understanding?
没有什么共识
What understanding?
谢谢
Thank you.
我承认某些方面你确实比我强
I accept you are the stronger candidate in many ways.
但命运就是这么神奇
It may be a quirk of fate
现在我成了更好的那个候选者
that I emerge as the better candidate to lead this party,
事实就是如此
but that fact remains.
我也明白,要是没有你的支持
I also acknowledge that without your support,
没有你在党内的影响力
without your influence in the party,
我也走不远
my leadership might fail.
你肯定走不远
No, it would.
所以我可以给你承诺
So I propose that as Chancellor,
你未来作为财政大臣,将完全控制经济决策
you will have complete control over economic policy.
你可以组建自己的团队,我绝不干涉
You can choose your own team,I won’t interfere.
你将是历史上最有权力的财政大臣
I mean, that will make you the most powerful chancellor in history.
那社会政策呢?教育政策呢?
What about social policy? Education?
还有失业和公共健康呢?
Unemployment? Health?
我不会让政党在这些问题上妥协的,托尼
I won’t have the party compromised on those, Tony
当然
Of course.
那到了第二个任期呢?
And when we win a second term?
戈登,我们不会也在官十五年的
Gordon, we haven’t been in power for 15 years.
你还提什么第二个任期?
You mention a second term?
如果保守党继续分♥裂♥,
If the Tories continue to disintegrate,
那也不是不可想象
it’s not inconceivable
比如我们掌权三十年
that we could be in power for a generation.
好吧…
Well…
哪怕你说的事都发生了,
under those circumstances, I…
我也不会犯和撒切尔一样的错误
wouldn’t make the same mistake Thatcher made
把权力长时间握在手上
and go on too long.
所以,第二个任期你就退位?
So in a second term, you’d stand aside?
拜托,现在就说这个也太天方夜谈了
Come on, this conversation is crazy!
我不这么认为
No, not to me it isn’t.
好吧,如果发生了
Well, whatever the circumstances,
当然,我不可能一直执政
obviously I couldn’t go on forever.
到那时,你就要支持我竞选
In which case,you’d support my candidacy?
我会的 – I suppose so.
好,记下了- Good.
托斯卡纳兔来了
One Tuscan rabbit.
谢谢
Thanks.
我先走了,你慢吃
I’ll leave you to it.
走之前我们还要想想如何应对媒体
Before you go, we have to deal with the press.
要使人们相信我们之间还是友好的
People will need reassuring that this was done amicably.
你还指望我微笑着说弃权?
You want me to stand aside and look happy about it?
我会在报纸上刊登一条简短的声明
I’ll put something on paper,a briefing statement.
不,让皮特写
No, let Peter do it.
你知道他有多擅长处理这种
You know how good he is at that kind of thing.
再附上一张我们在中心绿地的合影
And College Green, for the photo call.
后面靠得太近了
The Backs are too close.
你不知道,我可能说错了
You never know, I might say the wrong thing.
在你出去的路上,记得向那个女孩问好
On your way out, say hello to that girl.
她是谁?
Who is she?
《东区人》里新来的女孩
The new girl in EastEnders.
忘了政客们吧,这才是真正的力量
Forget about politicians,that’s real power.
她能每周三次吸引超过一千五百万观众
She gets 15 million viewers three times per week.
该死的伊斯灵顿
Bloody Islington.
自始至终,戈登和托尼的首要考虑都是
The paramount consideration for Gordon and Tony throughout
为该党的利益服务,
has been the best way for the party’s interests to be served
并最大限度地团结党内以赢得这次选举
and for party unity to be maximized in order to win the election.
团结,是他们的首要目的
A desire to unite the party is at the forefront of their thinking.
我觉得这里我们应该再加一点
I suppose we should add something here
来展现戈登的这次让步
about Gordon’s personal sacrifice.
那就写…
How about…
正如戈登曾说的那样,
Gordon has taken,as he said he would,
他将团结和团队精神置于个人野心之上
a decision which puts unity and teamwork above personal ambition.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!