但如果有什么…
But if there is something…
你会听到这样的脉冲回声…Ping-ah !Ping-ah !Ping-ah !
You hear the impulses echoing back from it like this… Ping-ah! Ping-ah! Ping-ah!
“啊,”你说。“我们发现了一艘潜艇。”
“Ah,” you say. “We’ve found a u-boat.”
“哦,是吗?”
“Oh, have you?”
回声也可能是一艘沉没的沉船,一群鱼群,或者是军官室乘务员抛到船上的空船。
That echo may also be a submerged wreck, a shoal of fish, or the empties the wardroom steward has chucked over board.
你如何区分它们呢?这只是练习的问题。
How do you tell the difference? Well, it’s just a matter of practice.
很多很多有趣的练习。
Lots and lots of lovely practice.
现在,再一次:平啊!Pingah !
Now, once again: Pingah! Pingah!
停止笑!
Stop that laughing!
-方位向左转,长官-方位仍向左转,长官
– Bearing drawing left, sir. – Bearing still drawing left, sir.
带领340人。
Steer 340.
400年范围内。轴承稳定。
Range 400. Bearing steady.
不,它不是。看。
No, it isn’t. Watch it.
正确的切断。绿色40,先生。
Right cut off. Green 40, sir.
对不起。轴承图纸是正确的。绿色40。
Sorry. Bearing drawing right. Green 40.
这是更好的。
That’s better.
站在,投掷!
Stand by, throwers!
一枚手榴弹。这次我们会知道她的确切位置。
Drop a grenade. We’ll get her exact position this time.
站在!
Stand by!
瞬时呼应,先生。
Instantaneous echo, sir.
火的手榴弹!
Fire one grenade!
潜艇烟烛,长官。
Submarine smoke candle, sir.
一个潜艇,先生。
One submarine, sir.
“你太好了。走开,试一下……德国人!”
“You’re getting too good. Go away, and try it on the… Germans!”
是的。你不会发现他们会这么乐于助人。
Yes. You won’t find them nearly so obliging.
Snorkers !Good-oh !
Snorkers! Good-oh!
-这是军官室,先生-谢谢
– Here’s the wardroom, sir. – Thank you.
这是什么?游客吗?
What’s this? Visitors?
我叫莫雷尔,长官,我要上船了。
My name’s morell, sir. I’m joining the ship.
终于有一艘新潜艇了,是吧?
Ah, a new sub at last, eh?
值勤的额外费用。
Extra for watch-keeping duties.
你几周前就该来了。慢慢来。
You should’ve been here weeks ago. Been taking your time.
我星期二才离开阿尔弗雷德国王。从那以后,我一直在旅行。先生。
I only left king Alfred on Tuesday. I’ve been travelling ever since… sir.
又一个初出茅庐的人,是吧?这很好。
Another one still wet behind the ears, eh? That’s fine.
-你在平民街上干什么?-我是个大律师。
– What were you in civvy street? – I was a barrister.
律师,是吗?这就是我们所需要的。
A lawyer, eh? That’s all we need.
你最好坐下来,趁他们还没冷,喝点潜水。
You better sit down and have some snorkers before they’re cold.
Carslake !顺便说一下,这位是洛克哈特。这是ferraby。
Carslake! By the way, this is Lockhart. This is ferraby.
-你好。——先生?
– How do you do. – Sir?
— 另一个军官去吃午饭-是,长官。
– Another officer for lunch. – Aye-aye, sir.
而我是中尉。
And I’m the first lieutenant.
-通缉当值警官,长官-好的
– Officer of the day wanted, sir. – Ok.
这里所有的工作都是我做的!
I do all the work around here!
很高兴见到你。把你的外套挂在那儿。
Very glad to see you. Hang your coat up out there.
我想你想喝一杯,是吧?
I expect you’d like a drink, wouldn’t you?
-哦,我去拿。杜松子酒吗?请——啤酒。
– Oh, I’ll get it. Gin? – Beer, please.
-欢迎来到罗compass Rose。——谢谢。
– Welcome to compass Rose. – Thank you.
他听起来是个很有经验的军官,中尉。
He sounds a very experienced officer, the first lieutenant.
非常。直到四个月前,他还是一名二手车销♥售♥员。
Very. Until four months ago, he was a second-hand car salesman.
啊,我明白了。
Ah, I see.
我们希望你能来做练习。
We were hoping you’d get here for the exercises.
谢谢你!我得努力赶上来。它是什么样的?
Thank you. I shall have to try and catch up. What was it like?
三个星期的炼狱。
Three weeks of purgatory.
我们不知道。我们还没有走出阴霾。
We don’t know. We haven’t come out of the ether yet.
船长现在和上将在岸上。
The skipper’s ashore with the admiral now.
-你的装备呢?——外面的。
– What about your gear? – It’s outside.
告诉我,我们经常吃这些香肠吗?
Tell me, do we often have these sausages?
频繁。中尉很喜欢他们。
Frequently. The first lieutenant’s very fond of them.
“Snorkers !Good-oh !”
“Snorkers! Good-oh!”
我明白了。
I see.
现在,无论这场战争是长是短,它都将看起来很长,你不这么认为吗?
Now, whether this war is long or short, it’s going to seem long, don’t you think?
干杯。
Cheers.
“从西部总司令到罗斯罗盘。
“From commander-in-chief western approaches to compass Rose.
“一切准备就绪,你们将启航加入ak14护航队,”于1940年2月6日,1200a离开利物浦酒吧灯号♥”

“Being in all respects ready for sea, you will sail to join convoy ak14, “leaving liverpool bar light vessel at 1200a, 6th February, 1940.”
确认。
Acknowledge.
这才像话,对吧?
This is more like it, eh?
长官,敌机发出信♥号♥♥,车队组织如下。
Signal from viperous, sir. Organisation of convoy as follows.
于是我们就开战了。
‘And so we went to war.
大西洋是一个非常大的海洋,冬天的时候,是世界上最隐蔽的地方。
‘The Atlantic is a very big ocean, ‘and in winter weather, the finest hiding place in the world.
“潜艇确实在那里,但数量不多。
‘The u-boats were there, all right, but not many of them.
在那个阶段,它们主要依靠运气来猎杀猎物。
‘And at that stage they were mostly depending on luck for a kill.
在法国沦陷之前,一个接一个的护航队都没有遇到过。
‘Before the fall of France, ‘convoy after convoy sailed without meeting one.
但潜艇并不是我们唯一要对付的敌人。
‘But u-boats weren’t the only enemy we had to contend with.’
-厌倦了吗?-有一点,先生。
– Getting tired of it? – A bit, sir.
要是她能保持一分钟左右不动就好了。
If only she’d keep still for a minute or so.
如果我们转过身来,冲进去,我们就知道了。
We’d know all about it if we’d have to turn round and steam into it.
是的,先生。
Yes, sir.
毒蛇的消息,长官!
Message from viperous, sir!
“围捕86号♥,它似乎还在护航队后面”
“Round up number 86, “who still appears to be straggling astern of the convoy.”
很好。我很快就谈过了。
Very good. I spoke to soon.
通过这个词!我们要打开光束。
Pass the word! We’re going to turn beam on.
-是谁?——舵手,先生。
– Who is it? – Coxswain, sir.
上来看看好玩的吗?
Come up to see the fun?
想透透气,先生,我给你拿了茶。里面有朗姆酒。
For a bit of air, sir. I’ve brought you some tea. It’s got rum in it.
谢谢,艇长。我很欣赏这一点。
Thanks, coxswain. I appreciate that.
-下面是什么样子?-哦,还不错,先生。
– What is it like below? – Oh, proper pot mess, sir.
有些小伙子希望他们当初能去参军!
Some of the lads are wishing they’d joined the army instead!
扶住它,舵手。你偏离了航线12度!
Keep her up, helmsman. You’re 12 degrees off course!
“是,长官。”
‘Aye-aye, sir.’
我们马上就要休假了,不是吗,先生?
we’re due for a spot of leave soon, aren’t we, sir?
下面是新闻。
‘Here is the news.
德国机动部队昨天继续在卡托和圣昆汀附近推进。
‘German motorised units yesterday continued their push ‘in the vicinity of le cateau and st Quentin.
在敦刻尔克附近的空战中,“英国皇家空军至少摧毁了22架敌机,而没有……”
‘In air combats near dunkirk, ‘the raf destroyed at least 22 enemy aircraft without…’
你好。有人在吗?
hello there. Anyone in?
你好,先生。
Hello, sir.
我妻子白天忙于她的战争工作,所以家里没人。
My wife’s busy on her warjob during the day, so there’s nobody at home.
我想进去看看,和你喝一杯。
I thought I’d look in and have a drink with you.
——杜松子酒吗,先生?——谢谢。平原。
– Gin, sir? – Thanks. Plain.
嗯,一切都好吗?
Well, how’s everything going?
好的,先生。我们会在星期五前完成锅炉清洗工作。
All right, sir. We’ll be finished boiler-cleaning by Friday.
电台的一个定位员出现了。
One of the radio location boys turned up.
-那我们什么时候能拿到?-恐怕还没有希望。
– So when do we get it? – Not a hope yet, I’m afraid.
每个人的。拉夫,军队,等等。
Everybody’s after it. Raf, army, the lot.
我想,排在队伍最后的是巡洋舰。
With corvettes at the end of the queue, I suppose.
谢谢。我想你会觉得这里很无聊,是吧?
Thanks. I expect you’re finding it pretty boring here, aren’t you?
我休假时没有什么特别要去的地方。
I had nowhere particular to go on leave.
什么,和海岸没有联♥系♥吗?
What, no ties with the shore?
没有一个能经受住时间的考验。
None that have stood the test of time.
哦。反正下一个就轮到你了。
Oh. Well, it’ll be your turn next, anyway.
你在读什么?哦,是的。
What are you reading? Oh, yes.
我申请了一个卧铺服务员。
I’ve applied for a sick berth attendant.
不是说我们现在就能得到,但试一试也无妨。
Not that we’ll get one yet, but there’s no harm in trying.
看来事情正在升温。
It looks as though things are warming up.
几年前,你根本想不到会发生这种事。
A couple of years ago, you’d never have thought this could happen.
几年前,长官,我唯一的海上经验就是在索伦特闲逛。
A couple of years ago, sir, my only sea experience was mucking about in the solent.
她的船真漂亮。
Quite a pretty boat she was.
-有多少人?-她也很漂亮。
– How big a crew? – She was quite pretty, too.
厨师休假的时候食物怎么样?
What’s the food been like with the cooks on leave?
进步很大,长官!
Greatly improved, sir!
好吧,那样的话,我想我还是待到吃午饭吧。
Well, in that case, I think I’ll stay till lunch.
喂,约翰,这儿有一张你妻子的照片。
Isay, John, there’s a picture of your wife here.
是吗?
Is there?
哦,是的。
Oh, yes.
多丽丝和我前天晚上看了那个节目。
Doris and I saw the show the night before last.
你应该让我知道的。我就会给你安排一些空位。
You should have let me know. I’d have got you some free seats.
我们不想打扰你休假的时候。
Oh, we didn’t want to bother you on leave.
看到你妻子的照片到处都是你一定会有一种奇怪的感觉。
It must give you a funny feeling to see your wife’s picture all over the place.
这些天我在报纸上看到的都是敦刻尔克。你读过吗?
All I can ever see in the papers these days is dunkirk. Did you read…?
好,好,好!
Well, well, well!
好孩子们都在适当的时候回来了。
Good little boys all back from leave at the proper time.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!