当他来酒店看我时正好看到了我一直随身携带的小画像
When he was visiting me at my hotel
and saw the miniature of you I always carry with me,
他只是问是否可以将其临摹在他的画廊
he simply asked if he could have it copied for his gallery.
嗯,但–
Yes, but–
为什么不呢?毕竟你可是巴黎最美的女人
But why not? Aren’t you the most beautiful woman in Paris?
也是全法国最美的女人
In all France for that matter?
还是全天下最美的
In all the world.
德·维尔福先生来了
Mssr. de Villefort.
– 早上好,费尔南 – 早上好,德·维尔福
– Good morning, Fernand. – Oh, good morning, de Villefort.
我顺路过来给你看看邓格拉司本周的建议
I stopped by to show you Danglars’ suggestions for the week.
大量购买♥♥西班牙债券?
Oh, buying heavily of Spanish bonds, eh?
照老样子,我们跟着买♥♥就行了
I suppose as usual it would be wise to follow suit.
是的,我们在途中去他的银行下订单
Yes. We’ll drop our buying orders at his bank on the way.
你要坐我的马车吗?
Will you come in my carriage?
是不是你经过的时候,会有很多女士在窗边等着向你招手?
Or are there too many ladies waiting at their windows
to wave to you as you go by?
美女总不嫌多的
Never too many, de Villefort.
我暂时不能走
I can’t go for a little.
我答应阿尔贝和这个神秘的德·基♥督♥山伯爵见面
I promised Albert that I would meet
this mysterious Count de Monte Cristo.
他救了阿尔贝,对吧?
Oh, he saved Albert’s life, didn’t he?
差不多吧
Something of the sort, yes.
哦,他们来了
Oh, there they are now.
我去那等你?
Suppose I wait for you in there?
好的
Would you mind?
过一会儿请打断这场会面
And then please interrupt me after a moment?
行
I will.
请进
Yes?
父亲
Father…
这是德·基♥督♥山伯爵
the Count de Monte Cristo.
你好
Charmed.
我儿子和我说了你的慷慨
My son has told me of your many kindnesses,
以及你是如何把他从强盗手中救出
how you saved him from the hands of bandits,
我觉得你的国家强盗太多了
with which, I believe, your country’s infested.
在其他国家也有强盗
I dare say there are bandits in other countries.
不过他们叫别的名字
Known by other names.
可能吧
Perhaps.
很抱歉,打扰一下
My pardon. I’m sorry to interrupt,
费尔南,我们没多少时间了
but we’ve little time, Fernand.
早上好,阿尔贝
Good morning, Albert.
德·基♥督♥山伯爵
Count de Monte Cristo,
这位是王室检察官,德·维尔福先生
may I present the King’s attorney, Mssr. de Villefort.
你好
Honored.
不必客气,先生
It is a pleasure, sir.
我一直对你辉煌的职业生涯非常感兴趣
I have followed your brilliant career with a great deal of interest.
谢谢,非常感谢
Thank you. Thank you, indeed.
二位阁下,伟大的法国正需要你们的服务
Excellencies, the great country of France awaits your services.
我就不打扰你们了
Please don’t let me detain you.
那多谢了
If you will be so kind.
我们下次再见,伯爵
We shall meet soon again, my dear count.
这正是我希望的,德·蒙台格伯爵
I shall plan for it, Count de Mondego.
阿尔贝,你母亲还好吗?
Albert, is your mother well?
很好,父亲
Yes, Father.
告诉她,我今天会尽可能找个时间去看她
Tell her that I shall do my best to see her sometime today.
如果我一会儿离开了
Oh, if in a moment I excuse myself,
希望你理解我只是去通知我的意中人
you’ll understand it’s only to send a message to my lady love
告诉她我们今天下午约会
naming our rendezvous for this afternoon.
我理解
I understand.
伯爵夫人正等着你们
The Countess is waiting.
我尊敬的伯爵,我该怎么感谢你–
My dear Count, how can I ever thank you for–
为我儿子所做的一切
for what you’ve done for my son?
一想到竟有客人在我国遭受如此侮辱
It was humiliating to think that one of my country’s guests
我便羞愧难当
should suffer such an indignity.
我们坐下说?
Won’t you sit down?
我从好多地方都看到你
I’d have known you anywhere.
看到你的画像
From your portrait.
是的
Oh, yes.
阿尔贝告诉我你临摹了它
Albert told me you had it copied.
为什么?
Why?
画家很少能捕捉到美
A painter rarely catches beauty.
可若能捕捉到美
When he does,
我便无法抗拒
the combination I can’t resist.
我希望你没有生气
I hope you weren’t displeased.
正好相反
On the contrary.
我看你们相处得挺和睦
Getting along famously, aren’t you?
是的
Yes.
但我得走了
I must tear myself away.
我有一处房♥产还未检查
I have a house I’ve never seen awaiting my inspection.
期待您再次拜访
You’ll call again?
希望您不会觉得麻烦
If I don’t provoke your hospitality.
你知道我的地址,别忘了
You know my address, you won’t neglect me?
明天?
Tomorrow?
下午吧,我在家
In the afternoon, I shall be home.
母亲!
Mother!
他是谁?
Who is he?
德·基♥督♥山伯爵啊
The Count de Monte Cristo.
不
No, I mean–
告诉我你所知道的关于他的一切
Tell me everything you know about him.
为什么?母亲
Why, Mother.
他有什么不对劲的地方吗?
Is he so strange?
我也不清楚
I don’t know.
只是他身上有些地方让我害怕
There’s just something about him that frightens me.
噢,傻瓜
Oh, silly.
或许我真是傻瓜
Perhaps I am…
R…
E…
N…
C…
H.
王室电报
旗语
收件地址
时间
日期
巴黎
上午10点
1835年8月12日
德·基♥督♥山伯爵
会晤邓格拉司
汤姆森&弗伦奇
亲爱的伯爵,能处理您在巴黎的银行业务
Nothing would give me greater pleasure, my dear Count,
实在太令我高兴了
than to take care of your banking in Paris,
但这封通知函上有一些错误
but there must be some mistake in this letter of advice.
难道汤普森&弗伦奇有犯错的习惯吗?
Are Thompson and French in the habit of making mistakes?
从未有过,那是我最信赖的代理银行,但–
Oh, never before. My most reliable correspondents. But I–
这是他们加了水印的信笺
This is their stationery, properly watermarked.
您对比笔迹并核实签名了吗?
You’ve compared the handwriting and tested the signatures?
是的,还有隐形印记,都真实可信,但–
Yes, invisible stamp, everything authentic, but–
我只对这个词有疑问:无限的
one word only I question: unlimited.
上面说我可以给您无限的信用额度
It says I am to grant you unlimited credit.
他们极力推荐邓格拉司男爵银行
The house of Baron Danglars was highly recommended as
说它足以满足我的快速需求
quite adequate to fulfill my quick demands.
– 当然,但若– – 当然,当然
– But if, of course– – Of course, of course.
我可以谦虚地说
I might modestly claim
我的银行在巴黎排第一
that there’s no stronger house than mine in Paris,
还请告诉我您的快速需求之一
but please give me some idea of, uh, what amount
大概要多少钱
one of your ‘quick demands’ might entail.
我拿不准今年我是否需要您提供超过六百万的生活费
Well, I doubt whether I shall require more than
six millions from you this year to cover my living expenses.
六百万?
Six million?
这比王宫开销还要多啊
More than it takes to run the royal palace!
是吗,男爵?
Really, Baron?
嗯,大概六百万吧
Yes, about six millions, I should say.
您看,我身上随时都带着一百万呢
You see, I always carry a million with me.
好,我– 我这就去办
Well, I– I shall arrange for it.
这会花上几天时间
It’ll take me several days.
您今天有需要吗?
You won’t need any today?
有,请帮我买♥♥五万支英国海事今早的股票
Yes. Please buy for me this morning 50,000 shares of British Maritime.
五万支英国海事股票!
British Maritime, 50,000 shares!
会上涨吗?
Is it going to raise?