也不用担心
Don’t worry about them.
这儿的人 有许多
There are a lot of nice…
优点的
things about the people here.
我为那些特质而尊重他们
And I respect them for those qualities.
可是
But…
可是
But?
这儿没有
It’s not…
少女时代
what I dreamed of…
我所梦想的
as a girl.
那天我写了些东西
I scribbled something down the other day.
我在路上经常这样做
I often do that when I’m out on the road.
我写的是这样的
Kind of goes like this:
曾经的梦
“The old dreams…
都是美梦
were good dreams.
虽未成真 但庆幸我曾拥有过
They didn’t work out, but I’m glad I had them.”
我不知是何意思 但日后或会有用
I don’t know what it means. I thought I might use it someday.
我了解你的感受
Anyway, I think I know how you feel.
想留下吃晚饭吗
Would you like to stay for dinner?
镇上的馆子不多
There’s not much in town.
反正你也是独自吃
And you’d have to eat alone.
我也是
So would I.
那好啊 太好了
Yeah, I’d like that.
吃家常饭的机会不多 我喜欢
I don’t get a home-cooked meal too often out on the road.
好吧
Okay.
我怎么了
This is ridiculous.
我可以将胶片放进冰箱吗
Do you mind if I put some film in the fridge?
-可以 -外边的温度太高了
-No, go ahead. -This heat out here isn’t too forgiving.
我可以帮你吗
Anything I can do to help?
-帮我什么 烧菜吗 -是的 我会烧菜
-To help? What, cook? -Yeah, men cook.
好的
Okay, sure.
我能做什么
What can I do?
你可以削胡萝卜
You can scrape the carrot.
削皮
Scrape the carrots.
磨碎它们 做沙拉
And grate them. Make a nice salad.
这样削胡萝卜 怎么样
Scrape the carrots. Like that. How’s that?
很不错
Very good. Very nice.
不错吧
Not bad, huh?
别忘了把根去掉
Don’t forget to pick off the end.
把根去掉
Pick off end.
让我拿这些
Let me get these…
对不起 我也可把这些根去掉
Excuse me. I can take the ends off of these too.
对 好主意
Yes. That’s a good idea.
是这样吗
This the way you do it?
很好 但不要用手指
That’s good. But don’t use your fingers.
会弄满手的气味
Then they smell like…
我给你柠檬
I’ll get you some lemon.
要喝啤酒吗
Would you like a beer?
-我车上有 -啤酒好
-I’ve got some in the car. -I would love a beer.
趁机溜出去一会儿
Anything to get out of a little work.
真不错
Very nice.
不 慢着 越来越精彩了
No, wait a second. It gets better.
你试想 我脖子上挂着三架像机还有脚架
You must picture this: I have 3 cameras around my neck…
裤子挂在膝盖 躲在树丛后
and I’ve got a tripod, and my pants are around my ankles.
突然看见一头猩猩
I’m behind a bush, and then suddenly I see this gorilla.
健硕的猩猩正在看着我
A huge gorilla, staring right at me…
它的神情是很淫乱的
with the most lascivious look you’ve ever seen.
从没见过有毛的动物 这么好色的
More than any creature with that much hair.
我一动也不动 只好这样做
I freeze, because that’s what you’re supposed to do.
跟着 它向我走过来
And then it started coming towards me.
跟着怎样
And what?
怎样了 天啊
What? My God!
我…
I can’t…
你脸通红了
You’re blushing.
太难启齿了 我
It’s a very painful subject. A very sore…
真是异常痛苦的经历 是真的
sore subject matter, really.
-怎么了 -我们订婚了
-What happened? -We became engaged.
你真的该
You should really…
你该把这些故事写下来
write these stories down.
我会的 但她是有眼影的母猩猩
I would, except this is a female gorilla. It had on eye shadow…
嘴上还涂了口红 煞是好看
and a little lip gloss on and it was so nice…
我们仍有书信来往
We still write.
我不想把这事写下来
I don’t want to put this stuff down.
我害怕
I’m afraid…
我的写作太技术性了
I’m afraid my writing’s a little too technical.
当记者太长时间 问题便是
The trouble with being a journalist too long is…
你不能自己去”创作”
you stop allowing yourself to invent.
我还是继续摄影吧
I’ll just stick to making pictures.
“创作”
Making pictures.
真不错
I like that.
你真的很喜欢这一行儿
You really love what you do.
我其实是沉迷其中
I’m obsessed by it, really.
你为何沉迷其中
Why is that, do you think?
我不知道
I don’t know.
沉迷是没有理由
I don’t think obsessions have reasons.
所以才是沉迷
That’s why they’re obsessions.
你的口吻像艺术家
You sound like an artist.
我不会这样说
I wouldn’t say that.
国家地理杂♥志♥要的是 构图规矩的照片
National Geographic likes their photos in focus…
不能带太多的个人见解 我其实不介意
and not too much personal comment. I don’t mind really.
我不是艺术家
I’m no artist.
这是很正常的情况
That’s one of the curses of being too well-adjusted, too normal.
我认为你不太正常
I don’t think you’re so normal.
真的
Really?
我不是那个意思
I didn’t mean it in the way…
没有贬义的
in the way that it sounded.
没关系 我会当是恭维话
We’ll just chalk it up to a compliment…
继续说吧
and move on.
你喜欢教书吗
Did you just love teaching?
有时候喜欢
Yes, when there was a
当有某个学生出类拔萃
particular student who can make a difference…
他们均该出类拔萃的 但却不是
They’re all supposed to, but they don’t. You tend…
你只会选其中一两个
to single out 1 or 2 who
加以栽培
you think you can contribute something to.
-你有吗 -不知道 希望有 一个念医学院
-And did you? -I hope so. One went to medical school.
你为何不教了呢
Why’d you quit?
为了我的孩子
My children, my kids.
而且
And…
理查德不愿我去工作
Richard didn’t like my working.
但显然你怀念教书
But you miss it, obviously.
我从没去想
I never think about it.
你到过的地方中哪儿最刺♥激♥
What’s the most exciting place that you’ve ever been?
-除非你太累了 不想说 -最刺♥激♥的
-Unless you’re too tired to talk. -Most exciting…
你问男人是否厌倦了谈自己
You’re asking if a man’s
那还不算老道
tired of talking about himself? Been out much?
抱歉 我不是说你
Didn’t mean to make it sound like a dumb…
不 我是怕你觉得无聊
Maybe it’s a little dull for you…
在荒僻地方对家庭主妇诉说
telling this to some housewife in the middle of nowhere.
这是你的家 也不是荒僻地方
This is your home. This isn’t nowhere.
而且不沉闷啊
And it’s not dull.
让我想想
Let’s see.
最刺♥激♥的地方
I guess I’d say that the
会是非洲
most exciting place I’ve been to was Africa.
因为那是另一个世界
Because it’s another world.
不单是那儿的人和文化
It’s not just the cultures and the people.
那是很好的 还有那儿的空气
That’s great, but it’s the air.
由朝至暮的颜色
The colors from dawn to dusk.
是真实的
There’s something tangible about it.
人和野兽 野兽和野兽
The cohabitation of man and beast, and beast and beast.
物竞天择
Who’ll survive and who won’t.
适者生存
There’s no judgement about it either.