由意大利到依阿华 在意大利哪儿
From Italy to Iowa. Where in Italy?
东部一小镇 巴利
We lived in a small town on the eastern side.
没人知道的小镇 巴利
No one’s heard of it. Bari.
我知道巴利
I know Bari.
不会吧
No.
是的
Yeah.
真的
Really?
一次有任务到希腊
I was on assignment to Greece…
要经过巴利前往布林底斯
and I went through Bari to get to Brindisi.
我向外眺望 它好似迷人的去处
I was looking out, it looked like pretty country.
我就下了火车 呆了几天
So I got off the train and stayed a few days.
你因乡郊景色迷人而下了火车
You got off the train because it looked pretty?
是的
Yeah, I did.
对不起
Excuse me.
抽烟吗
Care for a cigarette?
好的 我要一根
Sure, I’ll have one.
你在依阿华住了多久
So tell me, how long have you lived in Iowa?
很久 你不识任何人便下火车
Long. You just got off the train and stayed without knowing anyone there?
到了
That’s it.
很漂亮
It’s beautiful.
太好了
Yeah, this is great.
今天不拍 只是做准备工作
I won’t shoot this today. I’ll just do a little prep work.
明天拍照 现在光线不好
Shoot it tomorrow. The light’s no good right now.
那么我等你吧
So I’ll just wait.
没关系的
I don’t mind.
我到下面去
Go on down here.
我看这儿是开始的好地方
This is about as good a place to start as any.
很漂亮的桥
Beautiful bridge.
漂亮 你常来的吗
Beautiful. You out here much?

No.
这儿经常这么热吗
Always this hot around here?
是的 这时节通常燥热
Oh, yes. This time of year.
若想喝汽水 车厢后有
There’s some sodas in the truck if you’d like one.
-你要喝吗 -现在不喝
-Would you like one? -Not right now.
我去拿一瓶
I’ll go get one.
你在这儿呢
There you are.
给你发现了
You caught me.
我摘花给你
I was picking you some flowers.
男人仍这样做吗
Men still do that, don’t they? I’m not out of date, am I?
这有些过时了吧 摘花表谢意
Picking flowers as a sign of appreciation?
不 只是 这些花有毒
No, except those are poisonous.
我开个玩笑 对不起
I’m kidding! I’m sorry.
开个玩笑
I’m just kidding.
很抱歉
I’m so sorry.
你天生是虐待狂吗
Are you sadistic by nature or what?
我不知为何会这样做
I don’t know why I did that.
-给 -很漂亮
-Here. -They’re beautiful.
对不起
I’m sorry.
你想找哪个电台
You’re looking for something specific?
这儿收不到几个台
There’s not much selection.
较早前离开芝加哥收听到一个电台
I had a station out of Chicago earlier.
播着不错的蓝调曲
Played good blues.
是1410频道
It’s 1410.
很好听
That’s nice.
还要抽吗
Care for another cigarette?
好的
Sure.
是那条凶猛的黄狗吗
Is that the mean yellow dog?
-它是白色的 -是黄色
-Is it white? -No, it’s yellow.
多谢你的帮忙 约翰逊太太
I want to thank you for all your kindness, Mrs. Johnson.
叫我弗朗西丝卡吧
Francesca.
我叫罗伯特
Robert.
你要喝冰茶吗
Would you like some iced tea?

Yeah.
坐下吧
Yes, sit down.
你要柠檬吗
-You like lemon? -Sure.
也许
Maybe…
来点糖
A little bit of sugar?
好的
You bet.
若还想要
If you want more…
谢谢
Thanks.
你不怕吗”中毒”吗
Aren’t you afraid to have those in here?
噢 很抱歉 也不知怎么
I’m so sorry I did that. I don’t know why…
开那个玩笑
why I said that.
你住在哪儿
Where are you staying?
一处有小屋的地方
Some place with small cabins.
叫什么汽车旅店的
Something or other motor inn.
我还没来得及去登记
I’ve got it written down, but I haven’t checked in yet.
你在这儿呆多久
And how long are you here for?
不知道 四五天吧 最多一星期
I don’t know, maybe 4 or 5 days, a week on the outside.
要看工作进度 你的家人呢
As long as it takes to do the work. Where’s your family?
丈夫带着孩子参加州市集
My husband took the kids to the state fair.
小女的公牛参选
My daughter is entering a prize steer.
多大了
How old?
一岁半
A year and a half.
不 我是指孩子
No, I meant the kids.
迈可十七岁 卡洛琳十六岁
Michael is 17. And Carolyn is 16.
还是有孩子好啊
That’s nice, having kids.
是 可他们不再是孩子了
They’re not kids anymore.
都变了
Things change.
总要变的
They always do.
这是自然规律
One of the laws of nature.
许多人害怕改变 但若
Most people are afraid of change, but if you look at it…
把它视作天经地义的事
as something you can count on, then it can be a comfort.
也就释然了
There’s not many things you can really count on.
是啊 是这样
I guess.
我看我是害怕改变的人
I’m one of those people it frightens, I think.
不 我看不是
I doubt that.
你为何这么说
Why do you say that?
由意大利到依阿华是个大改变
From Italy to Iowa, that’s a big change.
但理查德随军队到意大利
But Richard was in the Army there.
我在拿不勒斯时遇到他
I met him when I was living in Naples.
我对依阿华一无所知
I didn’t know anything about Iowa.
只在乎它是美国 而且
I just cared that it was America…
当然 是和理查德一起
and, of course, being with Richard.
他是怎样的
What’s he like?
他 很洁净
He’s very clean.
洁净
Clean?
是的 我是说
No. I mean…
他有很多优点
He’s other things too.
他工作很勤奋
He’s a very hard worker…
体贴
very caring…
诚实
honest.
温柔
He’s gentle.
是个好父亲
He’s a good father.
和洁净
And clean.
洁净
Clean.
你喜欢住在依阿华吧
And you like living here in Iowa, I guess?
说吧 我不会对别人说的
Go ahead. I’m not going to tell anyone.
应该说
I’m supposed to say:
这儿很好 很宁静 人们也好
“It’s just fine. It’s quiet and the people are real nice.”
这全是真的 大部份是的
And all that’s true. Mostly.
这儿宁静
It is quiet.
人们也好
And the people are nice.
在很多方面
In certain ways.
大家互相帮助
We all help each other out.
若有人生病或受伤 邻居们都会来
If someone gets sick or hurt, all the neighbors come in.
帮助摘玉米
They pick the corn,
收小麦或什么的
harvest the oats or whatever needs to be done.
在镇上可不用锁车
In town, you can leave your car unlocked,
孩子到处跑
and let the kids run around.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!