我很高兴 这件事结束了
And I’m very glad it’s all over.
告诉我 你不工作时做些什么?
Tell me, what do you usually do when you’re not working?
赌马 闲逛
Play the horses, fool around.
没有女人?
No women?
我大部分时候都在工作
I’m generally working on something most of the time.
这些工作里能包括我吗?
Could that be stretched to include me?
我喜欢你 我以前就告诉过你
I like you. I’ve told you that before.
我喜欢听你说这个
I like hearing you say it.
但是你行动很少啊
But you didn’t do much about it.
你也一样
Well, neither did you.
说到马 我喜欢自己骑马
Well, speaking of horses, I like to play them myself.
但是我喜欢看它们首先冲出去
But I like to see them work out a little first,
看他们是领跑还是落后
see if they’re front runners or come from behind.
探探他们的底细
Find out what their hole-card is.
是什么在驱动他们奔跑
What makes them run.
探到我的底了吗? – 我想是的
Find out mine? – I think so.
我说你不喜欢被评价
I’d say you don’t like to be rated.
你喜欢跑在前面 引领方向
You like to get out in front, open up a lead,
在终点线稍稍休息一会
take a little breather in the back stretch,
然后轻松的回家
and then come home free.
你自己也不喜欢被评价
You don’t like to be rated yourself.
能给我打分的人 我还没遇见过
I haven’t met anyone yet that could do it.
你能给几分?
Any Suggestions?
我得先看你
Well, I can’t tell
跑上一段路才能评判
till I’ve seen you over a distance of ground.
你有点实力
You got a touch of class,
但我不知道你能跑多远
but I don’t know how far you can go.
这取决于 是谁骑在马鞍上
A lot depends on who’s in the saddle.
接着说 马洛 我喜欢你工作的方式
Go ahead, Marlowe, I like the way you work.
你在不知情时 总能走对路
In case you don’t know it, you’re doing all right.
有一件事我不明白
There’s one thing I can’t figure out.
是什么在驱动我奔跑?- 是啊
What makes me run? – Uh-huh.
我会给你一些提示的
I’ll give you a little hint.
甜言蜜语可不管用 已经够多了
Sugar won’t work. It’s been tried.
你试图在我这里得到什么?
Then what’d you try it on me for?
是谁让你劝我别管这件案子的?
Who told you to sugar me off this case?
是埃迪 马斯吗?
Was it Eddie Mars?
好了 不用回答我
All right, don’t answer me.
有人让你这么做 但不是你父亲
But somebody put you up to it and it wasn’t your father.
他可没让你付钱给我,对吧
He didn’t tell you to pay me off, did he?
不是的 他身体不好 我自做主张
No, he’s not well. I used my own judgment.
你确定吗?
Are you sure?
我知道到现在为止 事情还不是很明朗
Of course, I know it hasn’t worked so well up till now.
埃迪掺和这件事得到了什么?
What’s Eddie Mars got to do with this case?
没什么 他开赌场
Nothing. He runs a gambling house.
我赌马,也玩转盘
I play horses, I play the wheel.
你们还玩别的什么
You’re playing something else, too.
你怎么会认为 – 听我说完
What makes you think – Never mind talking, let me do it.
你知道人们都认为是肖恩 里根
Did you knew it was Eddie Mars’ blonde wife Shawn Regan
带跑了马斯的妻子
was supposed to have run off with?
谁不这么想?
Who doesn’t?
你知道盖革的住处是归他所有吗?
Did you know he owned the house Geiger operated in?
并且掺和了那件勒索案吗?
And that he was mixed up in that racket, too?
我不相信
No. I don’t believe it.
那你为什么烦恼呢?
Then why does it bother you so much?
埃迪·马斯有你的把柄吗?
What’s Eddie Mars got on you?
现在 宝贝 别再摇摆不定
Oh, come now, angel, stop shaking.
我不想伤害你 我会试着帮助你的
I don’t wanna hurt you. I’m tryin’ to help you.
好吧 你尽可以继续奔跑
Well, you’d better run along.
你做了决定就要坚持 无论对错
You made a deal and you’re gonna stick to it, right or wrong.
比赛结束 我们就会解决你我之间的问题
We’ll take up the question of you and I when the race is over.
唯一的问题就是 我们本该 – 请原谅
The only trouble is, we could’ve… – Pardon me.
是啊 唯一的问题就是 我们本该会很快乐
Yes, the only trouble is, we could have had a lot of fun,
如果你不是侦探的话
if you weren’t a detective.
我们现在也能
We still can.
再见 马洛
So long, Marlowe.
服务员?- 先生?
Oh! Waiter. – Sir?
你们这儿有电♥话♥吗?
Have you got a phone around here?
是的 就在那边
Yes, sir. Right over there.
谢谢 – 不客气
Thanks. – You’re welcome.
押金55美分 先生
Deposit 55 cents, sir.
多少钱?- 55美分
How much is that? – Fifty-five cents.
谢谢
Thank you.
已经接通 先生
Here’s your party, sir.
喂?喂?
Hello? Hello?
我找马斯先生
Hello, may I speak with Mr. Mars, please?
我就是
This is Mars talking.
我听不出你的声音了
Hello, Eddie. I didn’t recognize your voice.
我是马洛 我想见你
This is Marlowe. I called you up because I wanna see you.
我想今晚过去
I’d like to drive up this evening.
好的 来吧
Okay. Come ahead.
晚上好 – 晚上好
Good evening. – Good evening.
马斯先生在吗?
Mr. Mars around?
我是马洛 我们约好的
My name’s Marlowe. He’s expecting me.
请在这儿等一下 我去通知一声
Just wait here and I’ll find out.
嗨 你好 – 别这样 他在等你
Hello, boys. – Oh, stop it. He’s waiting to see you.
谢谢
Thanks.
你好 埃迪 – 你好 马洛 很高兴你能来
Hello, Eddie. – Hello, Marlowe. Glad you came.
你没来过这儿?
You’ve never been here before, have you?
我第一次来
No, it’s the first time.
我不会来这儿的
I wouldn’t be here now if you hadn’t told me over the phone
要不是你电♥话♥里说 需要帮助时能来的话
I could come up here if I needed help.
是的
Sure.
来点酒吗?- 好的
Drink? – Yeah.
我很欣赏你处理整件事情的方式
I like the way you’ve handled this whole thing.
一开始是让我难过的
It made me sore at first,
但我现在明白了 你知道自己在做什么
but I see now you knew what you were doing.
你和我可以相处的
You and I could get along.
我愿意付酬劳的
I like to pay my bills as I go.
我欠你多少?- 为了什么?
How much do I owe you? – For what?
还是那么小心 嗯?
Still careful, huh?
那好吧 我想要一些信息
All right, then, I want some information
有关肖恩 里根的
about Shawn Regan.
我听说你已经有消息了
I heard you got that already from
是从失踪人员部得到的
from the Bureau of Missing Persons.
你消息灵通啊 – 我的手下到处走动
You get around, huh. – My boys do.
他在哪儿?- 我可不知道
Where is he? – I haven’t any idea.
你没有打伤他 是吗?
You didn’t bump him off, did you?
没有 你觉得我做过么?
No. Do you think I did?
我来这儿就是想问问你
Well, that’s what I came up here to ask you.
你在开玩笑吧
You’re kidding.
好吧 算我是开玩笑吧
All right, I’m kidding.
你没有亲自动手
You didn’t do it yourself,
你的手下可不是什么善类
and none of your boys are good enough to do it.
我过去就认识里根
I used to know Regan.
我想你告诉过我 你没在找里根
I thought you told me you weren’t looking for Regan?
当时我确实没有 也许我现在只是好奇
I wasn’t then. Maybe I just got curious.
我最终决定找他
You see, I finally got it through my thick skull
是因为想到将军担心
that half the General’s worries were
里根可能参与了这次的勒索案件
that Regan might be mixed up in this blackmail business.
斯特伍德现在能睡个安稳觉了
Well, Sternwood can turn over now and go back to sleep.
是盖革一个人干的
It was Geiger’s own racket.
我今天好好想了想
I did some inquiring myself today.
当盖革和布罗迪中枪时
When Geiger and Brody got gunned,
整件事情都明朗了
that washed the whole thing up.
就是那样 我很确定
That, I’m sure of.
已经结束了
It’s finished then.
将军也像你那么想
The General thinks like you do.
他今天把酬劳给我了
He paid me off today.
很抱歉听到这个消息
I’m sorry to hear that.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!