巴特酒吧吗? 谁啊?
Burt’s Place? Who is this?
查理 我是乔治·斯托德…
Charlie, this is George Stroud. Look…
不 不 不是结♥帐♥ 巴特在吗?
No, no, it’s not about the fin at all. Look, is Burt there?
不在? 他回来之后 请转告他
He isn’t? When he comes in, give him a message for me.
就是我昨晚没有去他那里 明白么?
I wasn’t there last night. Get it?
明白 你的帐
Sure, I got the message. And about that fin.
周末我会给钱的
I’ll pay it back at the end of the week.
哦 太好了 乔治 再见
Oh, that’s swell of ya, George. Good-bye.
不 不要动 你想我的柜台里偷东西
No, you don’t! So you’re the guy that’s been swipin’ my stock.
我只是想撕掉酒瓶上的标签
I was just scrapin’ the stamp off the bottle.
我喜欢收集这些 现在就给我出去
I collect ’em. Get out of here and stay out.
再给我一个机会 早就给了你机会
Give me another chance. You had your last chance on St. Patrick’s Day.
– 但是我有过消息要告诉你 – 到电报局去说吧
– But I’ve got a message for you. – Give it to the telegraph company!
好了 我走了 不会再回来了
Okay, I’ll go, but I won’t come back!
喂 罗伊? 伯特芬奇 我有了线索
Hello, Roy? Bert Finch. I got a lead.
是的 有人看见他们 出现在巴特酒吧
Yeah, a witness who saw a couple like ours near Burt’s Place.
大约是10 : 30
About, uh, 10:30.
是的 那个男人手里 拿着一幅画
Yeah, and the man had a picture under his arm.
那幅画上面是一双手
Of a pair of hands. Yeah.
是的 我知道了 是一双手的画
Yeah, I’ve got it. A painting of a pair of hands.
– 科德托先生 是手? – 手
– Hands, Mr. Cordette? – Hands.
那个女人什么样子? 很漂亮 啊?
What about descriptions? Gorgeous, huh?
男人呢? 很好 继续查
And the man? Good. Keep checking.
芬奇那个男人和一个漂亮的 金发女郎在一起…
Finch says that a man and a gorgeous blonde…
就在昨晚10: 30在巴特酒吧外面
were seen outside Burt’s Place, 10:30 last night.
– 他们都兴高采烈 – 是吗?
– They were both high. – Yes?
那个男人手里还抱着一幅画
The man had a painting of a pair of hands under his arm.
目击者没有看清那个男人 是什么样子
The witness didn’t get a good look at the man.
– 芬奇说他忙着去找那个金发女郎 – 太糟糕了
– Finch says he was too busy staring at the blonde. – That’s too bad.
康纳丽小姐 写在黑板上 巴特酒吧 10: 30
Miss Connely, on the board, Burt’s Place, 10:30.
– 哦 乔治 – 什么事 史蒂夫?
– Oh, George. – Yes, Steve?
可能会是你最大的不想线索?
Mightn’t that be one of your famous irrelevant clues?
– 什么? – 画啊
– What? – The picture.
是啊 可能会
Yes, yes, it might at that.
最后忙碌起来
Better get busy.
如果他是拿在手里 肯定就是放在附近
If he had it under his arm, he probably bought it somewhere nearby.
– 我会派个人去追查的 – 派12个人去
– I’ll assign a man to check it. – Assign a dozen men.
在酒吧附近的艺术收藏品店查找
Check every art store and antique shop in the neighborhood.
也许他会留下账单
Maybe he paid for it with a check.
– 或许有人会记得那幅画 – 是啊 你说得对
– Maybe somebody will remember the picture. – Yeah, you’re right.
截至到12:17 我们得出一线索
As of 12:17, the clue chart reads as follows.
姓名: 杰斐逊·伦道夫 相貌: 高大 体形中等 黑发
“Name: Jefferson Randolph. Appearance: Tall, medium build, black hair.
衣服: 灰色的单胸礼服 做工精良 蓝色的领带
Clothes: Single-breasted, gray suit, well-tailored, blue tie.
年龄: 大约35岁 经常出人的地方 “范巴斯”和巴特酒吧
Age: About 35. Frequents: Van Barth and Burt’s Place.
爱好: 收集油画 性格: 多疑
Habits: Collects paintings. Character: Questionable.”
喂 不是 我是科斯瓦
Hello. No, this is Kislav.
是的 继续 莫特在”范巴斯” 找到了线索
Yeah, go ahead. Mort Spaulding at the Van Barth has something.
他们记得他们来过
They remember them here,
但是给他们服务的服务生没有来
but the bartender who served them hasn’t come in yet.
但是我发现了个非常重要的线索
I’ve found one very charming lead though.
就是存放帽子的女士
The hatcheck lady.
他以前和他的妻子到过这里
He’s been in here before, but with his wife.
不是 她已经不记得很多的事情
No, she can’t add anything to our description,
但是她记得他的帽子
but she remembers his hat.
棕色的帽子 皮革的帽沿
Brown felt hat with a feather in the band.
还有呢?
Anything else?
好了 要等到服务生来
Okay, stick around till the bartender comes.
– 最好要写在黑板上 是吗? – 是的
– Guess you better put that on the board, huh? – Yeah.
康纳丽小姐 写在黑板上
Miss Connely, put that on the board.
棕色的帽子 皮革的帽沿
Brown felt hat with a feather in the band.
我们找到了五个叫伦道夫的
Hey George Janoth, so far we have located five Randolph’s.
– 一个在希尔 一个在布鲁克林 – 分别派一个人去调查
– One in Forest Hills, one in Brooklyn. – Assign a man to each one.
看看他们昨晚在哪里
Find out where they were last night.
– 告诉他们这是美国夜生活的一次调查 – 好的
– Tell ’em it’s a poll on America’s nightlife. – Yeah.
对啊
Right.
乔治 我们有了突破性的进展 芬奇找到了画的来源
George, we’ve got a break. Finch traced the picture.
在第三大街一家古玩店
An antique shop on 3rd Avenue.
那个男人花了30美元买♥♥的 是一个叫帕特森的画家的作品
The man paid $30 for it. It was painted by an artist named Patterson.
– 他好象是个收藏家 啊? – 是的
– Sounds as if he might be a collector, huh? – Yeah, does that.
– 你接下来要怎么办? – 最好是追查吗?
– Well, what are you going to do about it? – Hadn’t we better check?
– 艺术部的主管叫什么名字? – 对啊
– What’s the name of the chief critic on Artways? – Right!
– 你是什么意思? 他是叫克罗斯·梅尔吗? – 是的
– What do you mean, right? Is his name Klaus Meyer or something? – Yeah.
– 我打电♥话♥叫他拜访帕特森 – 好的
– I’ll phone him and send him out to see Patterson. – Good.
乔治
Say, George.
这幅画是帕特森的作品 不是吗?
This painting. It’s a Patterson, isn’t it?
是啊 我家里都有很多
Yeah. That’s what it says. I got others at home.
为何不去拜访帕特森? 伦道夫可能是个收藏家
Why don’t you interview Patterson? Randolph may be a collector.
不 我们现在已经找到了 马上就会有结果
Oh! No, Roy. The way we’re going, we’ll have this guy in a couple of hours.
可能会更早 你继续去追查
Maybe sooner. You go ahead and keep a check on things.
难以置信会有这么多垃圾
Amazing how much junk gets in these things.
亚当斯小姐
Miss Adams.
– 什么事 先生? – 把这些垃圾清除了 好吗?
– Yes, sir? – Try and keep this thing clean for me, will you?
– 早上好 小妹妹 – 走开
– Good morning, young lady. – Beat it!
– 你妈妈在家吗? – 我叫你走开
– Is your mother at home? – I said, beat it!
是谁啊 罗莎?
Who is it, Rosa?
– 有人想偷信件 – 不是的 我只是… – 什么事?
– Someone trying to steal the mail! – No, no, I was just… – Yes?
– 帕特森女士? – 什么事?
– Miss Patterson? – Yes?
– 我是杂♥志♥社艺术部的 唐·克罗斯·梅尔 – 是吗?
– I’m Don Klaus Meyer from Artways magazine. – Yes?
– 哦 是的 你1941年采访过我吗? – 是的
– Oh, yes, didn’t you review my show in ’41? – I think I did.
– 哦 请进 克罗斯曼先生 – 是克罗斯·梅尔
– Oh, come in, Mr. Klausman. – “Klausmeyer.”
我很久就想杀死你了
I’ve been planning to kill you for years.
放开 胖娃 我会打断你的手
Drop those, cherub, and I’ll break both your arms.
一直向前走
Straight ahead.
– 这些都是你的小孩吗 帕特森女士? – 是的
– Are all these your little ones, Miss Patterson? – More or less.
– 那个是我第一任丈夫拉尔夫的 – 嗯…
– That one’s Ralph’s, my first husband. – Well…
他喝酒醉死了
Drank himself to death.
那个是弗雷德里克的 他掉进大海淹死了
That one’s Frederick’s. Lost at sea.
我还有第三个丈夫 他… 那双双胞胎是迈克的
I had a third husband. He… And the twins are Mike’s.
– 你的现任丈夫是? – 如果我看见他就认识了
– Your present husband? – Would be if I could find him.
哦 不要坐 那是坏的
Oh, don’t sit there. No, no, it collapses.
为什么不来我的工作室?
Oh, won’t you come into my workshop?
不要担心
Don’t be afraid.
– 来杯葡萄酒吗? – 不了 谢谢
– A glass of sherry? – No, no, no, thank you.
– 请坐 克罗斯… – 梅尔
– Sit down, Mr. Klaus… – “Meyer.”
哦
Oh.
– 又是来采访的? – 不是
– Another review? – No.
我们的公♥司♥ 乔纳森出版社 想找一个人
Our organization, the Janoth Publications, is trying to find someone,
可能是你作品的收藏家
possibly a collector of your pictures.
15年前就有人收集我的作品
So have I for 15 years.
这个男人可能昨天晚上
This man bought one of your pictures last night,
在3号♥大街古玩店买♥♥了你的一幅画
in an antique shop on 3rd Avenue.
哦 是一双手的那幅画吗?
Oh, a pair of hands?
– 是的 你怎么知道的? – 我也在场 想自己买♥♥回来
– Yes, how did you know? – I was there, trying to buy them myself.
那你看见了这个人 他是什么样子
Then you saw this man. Can you describe him?
哦 自高自大 自鸣得意
Oh, yes. Smug, self-satisfied.
嗯 相貌特征
Uh, symmetrical features.
– 我可以给你画出来 – 那就好极了
– I could draw him for you. – That would be wonderful.
当然 但是我要收钱的
Of course, I should like to be paid.
100美元怎么样?
Of course. How would $100 be?
当然 金发女郎也一样
And of course, the same for the blonde.
– 你是说不认识金发女郎? – 不认识
– You mean, you don’t know the blonde? – Uh, no.
她就是你们公♥司♥的那个模特
She’s a model that used to pose for that horrible fashion rag of yours,
嗯 设计部
uh, Styleways.
曾经我想让她当我的模特 贪婪
I wanted to use her once for a painting, Avarice.
– 你知道她名字? – 哦 知道知道 嗯…
– You know her name? – Oh, yes, yes. Um…
– 宝琳·约克 – 宝琳·约克
– Pauline York. – Pauline York!
好极了 谢谢
What a scoop! Thank you!
– 哦 克罗斯·伯格先生 – 是”克罗斯·梅尔”
– Oh, Mr. Klaus Burger. – “Klaus Meyer.”
画像呢?
But… What about the sketches?
找犯罪科的乔治·斯托德要钱去
Check with George Stroud at Crimeways magazine.