Now, tell me all about it from the beginning.
嗯…
Well…
还是接吧
I’ll have to.
喂 我是斯托德
Hello. Yes, this is Stroud.
谁? 接通他的电♥话♥
Who? Put him on.
喂 乔治 我们有年度最好的新闻
Hello, George. We’ve got the story of the year.
自然要你来做 什么?
It’s a natural for you. What’s that?
我说了你没有听说吗? 我已经辞职了
I said, haven’t ya heard? I’ve quit.
但是很重要 关于一个战争条约签订的丑闻
But this is important. The payoff man in an enormous war contract scandal.
– 找到了他 你会得到红利 – 度假
– Uh, Find him and you’ll get a bonus: – Vacation.
6个月的假期 可能还会普利策奖
six months’ vacation, maybe the Pulitzer Prize.
我已经赢得奖章了 永远度假去
I’ve already got the prize. I’m on a permanent vacation.
他不听
He won’t listen.
乔治 乔纳森 对昨天的事情我很道歉
George, Janoth. I behaved very badly yesterday.
史蒂夫已经向我抗♥议♥了
Steve has been remonstrating with me about it.
我不应该那样对你
I can’t blame you for being sore.
作为公仆 我们有义务去找出这个人
As servants of the public, it is our duty to hound this man.
哦 他刚刚露过面
Oh, the trail is still fresh.
有人昨晚看见他 和一个金发女郎在一起
He was around town last night with a blonde.
我们知道他们在”范巴斯” 有一个服务生叫巴特
We know they were at the Van Barth and some bar called Burt’s.
知道那个女孩叫什么吗?
You know who the girl is?
不知道 我们不关心她 要找出那个男人
No, we don’t care about her. Uh, we’re after the man.
是的 是杰斐逊·伦道夫
Yes. Uh, Jefferson Randolph.
杰斐逊·伦道夫?
Jefferson Randolph?
不 不认识
No. Never heard of him.
直到把这个人找到 否则我不会去休息的
I am not going to rest until I have exposed this scoundrel,
有必要可以派遣任何一个人去
if I have to assign every man in my organization.
我马上就回来 琼纳斯先生
I’ll grab the next plane, Mr. Janoth.
乔治 如果你现在离开 我永远都不理你了
George, if you leave now, I’ll never speak to you again.
– 亲爱的 我必须要去 – 为什么?
– Darling, I have to. – Why?
嗯
Well,
乔纳森说是战争条约丑闻 但是不是的
Janoth says it’s a war contract scandal, but that’s a blind.
他想找出谁和他女人有关系
He’s trying to find out who’s been playing around with his girl.
我认识那个人 他是牺牲品
I happen to know the man. He’s a victim of circumstances.
我要回去 不要让乔纳森找到他
I’ve got to go back, keep Janoth from finding him.
– 会毁了他一生的 – 毁了他一生?
– It would wreck the man’s life. – Wreck his life?
嗯 我们的一生呢?
Well, what about ours?
4月25日星期五上午9 : 15
– 早 琼纳斯先生 – 早 汤姆
– Good morning, Mr. Janoth. – Good morning, Tom.
知道线索不多 你认为斯托德可以搞定吗?
Not very much to go on. Do you think Stroud can do it?
比佛兰芒案子容易多了
Had even less on Fleming.
我们已经去了”范巴斯” 巴特的酒吧
We’ve Van Barth’s and Burt’s Place,
证明宝琳说的是真的
provided Pauline was telling the truth.
她一定去过那里
She must have been.
你告诉那里有过”日冕仪”
You told me there was a tag on the sundial.
你拿着那个干什么? 放回巴特的酒吧
What did you do with that? Put it back at Burt’s bar.
很好 你肯定对这个伦道夫 你了解吗?
That’s good. You’re sure there was nothing familiar about this Randolph?
我告诉他已经走不了
I told you he was in the shadowy part of the hall.
但是他看见了吗? 肯定可以 我在灯光下面
But he saw you? He couldn’t help it. I was directly under the light.
– 嗯 或许他不认识你 – 大家都认识你
– Well, perhaps he doesn’t know you. – Everybody knows me.
他是唯一知道 我和宝琳关系的人
He was the only one who can connect me with Pauline.
– 除了我 – 这是黑色幽默 史蒂夫
– Except me. – You have a macabre sense of humor, Steve.
– 早上好 琼纳斯先生 – 早上好
– Good morning, Mr. Janoth. – Good morning.
– 早上好 哈根先生 – 斯托德来了吗?
– Good morning, Mr. Hagen. – Is Stroud in yet?
– 来了 琼纳斯先生 – 叫他去哈根先生办公室
– Yes, Mr. Janoth. – Send him to Mr. Hagen’s office.
– 你最好先跟他谈谈 – 好的
– You better talk to him first. – Yes.
史蒂夫 我们要在宝琳的尸体 发现之前找到这个伦道夫
And, Steve, we have to have Randolph before Pauline’s body is found,
在他知道这件事情 并且去警♥察♥局之前
before he reads of the incident and goes to the police.
如果他坚持说 看到我进她的房♥间 那问题就比较麻烦了
It’d be most unpleasant if he were to insist he saw me entering her apartment.
我应该说他是说谎的
I should have to call him a liar.
– 叫斯托德先生进来 – 好的 哈根先生
– Send Mr. Stroud in. – Yes, Mr. Hagen.
乔治 非常感激你
George, we appreciate this.
我们知道对你意味着什么
We know what it means to you.
– 对我妻子的意义就更多了 – 她会理解的
– It means more to my wife. – She’ll get over it.
– 我们开始吧 – 艾尔告诉我那个人的名字 杰斐逊·伦道夫
– Let’s get started. – Earl told you the man’s name: Jefferson Randolph.
– 我想这是个假名 – 为什么?
– I think it’s an alias. – Why?
因为他从前的事情
The kind of business he’s in.
– 卖♥♥♥国♥? – 昨晚他到底玩女人
– War contract scandals? – Spending the proceeds last night on a blonde.
赶紧分派任务 一个玩女人的淫棍
Quite an assignment, a guy spending money on a blonde.
不会那么坏啊
Not quite as bad as that, George.
我们已经有了 这个人的初步资料
We have a vague description of the man and the names of two night spots.
你看看 把这些信息结合起来
Read these. Throw a staff together.
我们需要行动了 请示任何一家报社帮助都可以
We want action. Call on any of the other magazines for help.
摆好你的黑板 拿出你的技术 一切都听从你的调遣
Set up your blackboard, your regular technique. You’ve got a free hand.
有个问题 这些资料是哪里来的?
One question: Where does all this information come from?
是机密 我们不想公布出去
A… confidential source. We’re pledged not to reveal it.
为什么不通知警♥察♥局?
Why not call in the authorities?
不 乔治 这件事只有你和我知道
No, George. This is an exclusive between you and me.
– 还有乔纳森? – 当然
– And Janoth? – Of course.
这个瓶子里面还有点 比尔 用完
Still some in this old bottle, Bill. Use it up.
哦 我好累了 需要度假
Oh, I’m tired and run down. I need a vacation.
我应该去航海
I should take an ocean voyage.
你出过国吗 比尔? 一定很好玩的
Have you ever been abroad, Bill? It’s stimulating.
异国风情
Different people, different customs.
你知道在有的国家
Do you know that in some countries,
在谋杀犯认罪之后 警♥察♥会让他跑…
after a murderer confesses, the police let him run…
然后开枪从背后打死他吗?
and shoot him in the back?
你认为这个杀手
Do you think this, uh, killer,
这个杰斐逊·伦道夫
this Jefferson Randolph,
我们找到他的时候会跑吗?
could be persuaded to run when we find him?
他也是招认的…
His confession couldjust as well…
然后我们就移交给警♥察♥
be prepared afterwards and then submitted to the police.
法官是判处他的
Justice would be served.
犯罪科精彩的故事
Wonderful story for Crimeways.
伦道夫杰斐逊·伦道夫 真的很难对付
Randolph. Jefferson Randolph. This is really a tough one.
很显然我们现在毫无进展 以前很少合作
It appears we’re heading into a blank wall. We’ve worked with less before.
安排任务 莉莉 你和莫顿去德维特旅店
Let’s check the assignments. Lily, you and Morton take the De Witt Hotel.
– 德维特? – 上面说是”范巴斯”
– The De Witt? – The notes said the Van Barth.
是”范巴斯”吗?
Was it the Van Barth?
不管怎样 你去那里调查就可以了
Anyway, you’re a society couple out for an afternoon bracer.
– 好的 – 我们有了情况就通知你
– That will be a pleasure. – We’ll shoot you additional information as we get it.
– 嗯 埃德温 你去巴特的酒吧 – 在
– Uh, Edwin. You take Burt’s Place. – Yes.
你不认为可以选择 更合适的人吗?
Uh, don’t you think you ought to pick someone more suitable?
– 为什么? – 埃德温很聪明 他们从来没有派他去调查
– Why? – Edwin’s smart. They’d never spot him for an investigator.
托尼 你和贝特负责调查通讯
Tony, you and Bert are the inquiring reporters.
你们工作就是要和办公室的人
That means you have to check the doormen,
新闻部的人 出租车司机联♥系♥
newsboys, taxicab drivers,
肯定会有人在”范巴斯” 和巴特酒吧看到他
anybody that might have seen them between the Van Barth and Burt’s Place.
– 那不是很多的区域吗? – 我们会派人帮助你的
– Isn’t that a big hunk of territory? – We’ll send somebody to help you.
纳特 你和摩根还有塔尔波特 你们负责调查小组
Nat, you and Morgan and Talbot, you’re the research division.
那个人的名字 可能是杰斐逊·伦道夫
This guy’s name, as I say, may be Jefferson Randolph.
可能是来自有钱的家庭
He’s supposed to come from a wealthy family.
所在你们要查电♥话♥本 税收单据
So you’ll have to check the telephone books, tax records,
有效的单证 普通的商业目录
utility lists, general business directories,
在300内英里之内 任何你可以想到的东西
anything you can think of for cities within 300 miles.
还有问题吗?
Now, any questions?
有 我们也可以询问 金发女郎吗?
Yeah, can we ask about the blonde too?
可以 可以询问金发女郎
Yes, you can ask about the blonde.
但是不要忘了 那个男人才是我们要找的
But don’t forget, it’s the man we want, and only the man.
你想骑马吗?
Suppose you climb on your horses, huh?
不要忘了尽快将你们收集到的消息
Don’t forget to report in as soon as you get anything.
通知罗伊
Roy’ll be on the telephones.
乔治 你没有给我分派任务
George, you didn’t give me an assignment.
– 你帮助接电♥话♥ 同时再装两部电♥话♥ – 好的
– You help with the phones. Get a couple extra installed. – Check.
– 哦 亚当斯小姐 – 什么事 先生?
– Oh, Miss Adams. – Yes, sir?
我不想被打扰
I don’t want to be disturbed.
接线员
Operator,
我整个上午拨♥打♥巴特费尔德电♥话♥号♥码83597 都不通
I’ve been trying to get Butterfield 8-3597 all morning.
可以检查一下吗?
Could you check it for me?
不是线路故障?
It’s not out of order?
谢谢
Thanks.