We are, in effect, clairvoyants. Correct?
是的 琼纳斯先生
Yes, Mr. Janoth.
我已经提供是设备 预算是3700万美元 员工3600人
I have provided the tools: a budget of $37 million, a staff of 3,600,
从雷克雅未克到开罗 从莫斯科到布宜诺斯艾斯的分部
bureaus from Reykjavik to Cairo, Moscow to Buenos Aires.
所有的这些浪费 都是跟领导不力有关
All this is waste, sheer waste under a leadership of chuckleheads.
罗伯特先生 给我一分钟的时间…
Mr. Roberts, you have exactly one minute to tell us how you propose…
请你来告诉我们 如何增加10万份的订阅量
to add 100,000 subscriptions to Newsways.
嗯 我建议我们可以 搞有奖征文…
Well, uh, I suggest that we offer prizes…
给那些最优秀的读者发奖…
for the best letters from subscribers…
主题就是如何维护世界和平
on, uh, how to preserve world peace.
– 对不起 琼纳斯先生 – 每周1000美元…
– Sorry, Mr. Janoth. – A thousand dollars each week…
一共给出25000美元奖金…
and a grand prize of $25,000 to be awarded…
是出版社刺♥激♥发行基本方法
The general theory of the publishing business is to sell magazines,
但是人们不会理会
not to pay people to read them.
科德托先生是斯托德 度假期间的代理经理
Mr. Cordette is acting manager during Stroud’s vacation.
给你一分钟的时间来告诉我们
You have one minute to tell us your ideas,
《犯罪科》 如何扩大50000份的发行量
on how to add 50,000 readers to Crimeways.
嗯 我有一个比较有价值的建议
Well, uh, I have one suggestion that might be of value:
开辟一个新的栏目叫”一周追踪”
a new feature to be called “Solution of the Week.”
– 帕金丝小姐 – 琼纳斯先生?
– Miss Perkins. – Yes, Mr. Janoth?
– 我听着呢 科德托 叫波士顿别挂电♥话♥ – 最重要的是…
– I’m listening, Cordette. Hold the Boston call. – The most important…
– 或是最独特的方法 – 史蒂夫 提醒我波士顿的事情
– or the most unique solution, – Steve, remind me of the Boston business.
突出被忽视的犯罪真♥相♥
highlighting the fact that crime does not pay.
– 这是教育性的… – 真是没味
– It’s educational… – Primigenous, stale,
已经是上个星期的新闻了… 我们不想看
a hash-up of last week’s news… exactly what we don’t want.
– 佛兰芒 – 什么 斯托德?
Fleming. – What was that, uh, Stroud?
– 我向他提醒佛兰芒 – 逃犯?
– I was reminding him of Fleming. – The absconder?
是的 他的事情将会在下周 增加一千份的需求量
Yes. His story will sell a hundred thousand extra copies next week.
如果你说他的隐私 我同意
If you mean his personal story, I’d agree,
但是你不认为要先找到他吗?
but haven’t you overlooked the necessity of finding him?
– 找到了 – 我们有什么?
– We have. Found him. – Have what?
我们在盐湖城找到了他 要重新排版
We have him in Salt Lake. We’re replating one and two.
但是封面已经确定了 但是我们…
It’s too late to touch the cover, but we’ll run…
可以在每张报纸的边页上印上 “佛兰芒被找到”
a paper band around every copy with “Fleming Found” in block letters.
记录下来 史蒂夫 在早报上登出广♥告♥
Make them red. Steve, advertise this in the morning papers.
在25个城市登出 年轻人 你犯了错误…
Use the 25 key cities. Young man, you’ve stumbled on something…
我可不希望那样 但是你说还有价值
not exactly what I’ve been looking for, but nonetheless valuable.
– 你12点可以去度假 – 谢谢
– You have struck 12:00. – Thank you.
和国际趋势想违背啊
Contrary to the anticipated nationwide trend,
媒体调查结果目前购买♥♥力是25.6
media research reports a present level of want-to-buy at 25.6.
哦 你好 乔治 请坐
Oh, hello, George. Sit down.
上个月上升了04 但是我们的发行量却下降了
Up.4 from last month. Nevertheless, our circulation fails to reflect this trend.
嗯 我等会儿说完 布兰查德小姐
Uh, I’ll finish this later, Miss Blanchard.
乔治 你真擅长调查失踪人员
George, you’re getting to be a regular missing persons bureau.
– 佛兰芒是今年第三个了 – 是第四个
– Fleming’s number three this year. – Four,
但是你要算我们 从地下室找出来的人
if you count the man we found hiding in his own basement.
– 你下周有什么计划? – 那是科德托的问题
– What are your plans for next week? – That’s Cordette’s problem.
我去西弗吉尼亚
Mine shall be in West Virginia.
琼纳斯先生想要你亲自出马
Mr. Janoth wants you to follow through, personally.
– 我的假期呢? – 推迟了
– On my vacation? – Postponed.
哦 不行 他不能那样做 这是我的蜜月
Oh, no. He can’t do that. This is my honeymoon.
– 蜜月? 带着五岁的孩子 – 是啊 你知道为什么?
– Honeymoon? With a five-year-old child? – Yes. You know why?
都是乔纳森
Janoth.
七年前 我是”号♥角” 杂♥志♥的助理编辑
Seven years ago, I was assistant editor at the Wheeling Clarion,
过得很快乐
a happy man.
之后来这里我就忙个没完
Then I run down a guy police in three states have been looking for.
人累得半死 只涨了15美元工资
Headlines three feet high. I got a $15 raise.
然后我就结婚了 准备去印第安纳湖渡蜜月
So I marry my girl, and we go on our honeymoon to Indian Lake.
好感人
Idyllic.
正当我们准备去渡蜜月的时候 接到乔纳森的电♥话♥
I’m about to carry her over the threshold when the phone rings. It’s Janoth.
要我负责犯罪案件调查杂♥志♥”国家事故登记录”
Wants me to run Crimeways magazine, “the Police Blotter of the Nation.”
不是下个星期或是明天 就是今晚
Not next week or tomorrow, but tonight!
两个小时后 我们就在去纽约的火车上
Two hours later, we’re on the train for New York.
每周50美元的时候 你会干得更好吗?
You’d have done better to stay at 50 bucks a week?
我现在不缺钱了
I had more in the bank then than I have now,
但是我妻子还没有去渡蜜月
and my wife still hasn’t had a honeymoon.
你站在她的位置想想 史蒂夫
Put yourself in her place, Steve.
如果你是一个女人 没有渡蜜月会怎么想?
How would you like to be a woman who never had a honeymoon?
那是真让人绝望
It’s become an obsession.
我以前每天工作26小时
I’ve been working 26 hours a day,
圣诞节 国♥庆♥节 母亲节
Christmases, Fourth of Julys, Mother’s Days.
乔纳森以为我是什么
What does Janoth think I am,
是一个机械钟吗?
a clock with springs and gears instead of flesh and blood?
那样的态度是不对的 乔纳森想要的是忠诚的人
That’s not the right attitude. Janoth expects loyalty.
– 哦 我很忠诚啊… – 关掉
– Oh, I’m loyal, all right… – Shut that thing off.
– 你在这里干什么? – 收拾东西啊 亲爱的
– What are you doing here? – Just tidying up, darling.
那是年轻人不就是你说”麻烦制♥造♥者斯托德先生”吗?
Isn’t that the young man you pointed out as “the troublesome Mr. Stroud”?
你觉得他很有趣吗? 你是怎么上来的?
You find him interesting? How did you get up here?
真是个好问题
Well, it did present a problem.
世界出版商大亨的办公室…
The tycoon’s lair, the Berchtesgaden of the publishing world…
认为我不能使用你的 私人专用电梯
seemed impregnable till I thought of your private elevator.
你是怎么样通过保安的?
How did you get past the guard?
– 他也是人 – 嗯
– He’s human. – Mm-hmm.
你是这里的独♥裁♥者
You’re the only Superman around here.
我想他一定是给表上发条去了
I think he must’ve been winding his watch.
你不用我出现去这里
You don’t expect me to approve of your being here.
甚至就是生意都不想见我? 我唱歌♥训练
Not even on business? My singing lessons.
哈根昨天已经去处理了 今天上午你应该得到了支票
Hagen attended to that yesterday. You should have had a check this morning.
但是他弄错了 他们要价2000美元
But he made a mistake. They were to cost $2,000.
记得吗?
Remember?
或许我认为我五音不全
Perhaps you think my voice isn’t worth cultivating.
你的嗓音值得那么多
Your voice is worth exactly what that check reads.
– 帕金丝小姐 – 什么事 琼纳斯先生?
– Miss Perkins? – Yes, Mr. Janoth?
– 告诉我私人专用电梯保安的名字 – 好的 老板
– Get me the name of the guard on my private elevator. – Yes, sir.
公用电梯在这边 比计划推迟了6分钟
The public elevators are this way. I’m six minutes behind schedule.
6:10我要乘飞机去华盛顿…
I have to fly to Washington at 6:10…
我的文件不能弄乱
and I will not have my papers disarranged.
会麻烦秘书的
It confuses my secretary.
明晚我们见
I’ll see you tomorrow night.
10:55
10:55.
如果你没有听到 我会告诉乔纳森…
If I wasn’t up to my ears, I’d tell Janoth…
花3万美元买♥♥新的种
to take his $30,000 and buy another clock.
除了琼纳斯先生 没有人是必不可少的
Nobody’s indispensable to this organization except Mr. Janoth.
考虑清楚 没有必要
Mull it over. I don’t have to.
一定要去渡蜜月 甚至是丢掉工作?
It’s honeymoon regardless. Even if it means your job?
– 是吗? – 考虑清楚
– Well, does it? – Mull it over.
是的 艾尔
Yes, Earl.
– 他想什么时候离开? – 今天下午晚些时候
– When does he think he’s leaving? – Late this afternoon.
我拦不住 最好我亲自来阻止他
I couldn’t do a thing. I’d better take charge of the young man.
哦 史蒂夫 在四楼的厕所里
Oh, and, Steve, on the fourth floor in the broom closet,
一个灯泡已经坏了好几天
a bulb has been burning for several days.
– 找出那个负责人 扣除他的薪水 – 好的 艾尔
– Find the man responsible. Dock his pay. – Yes, Earl.
– 要桌子吗 女士? – 不 谢谢 我找人
– Table, miss? – No, thank you. I’m looking for someone.
哦 他们在那里
Oh, there they are.
对不起
Pardon me.
再来一杯?
How about another?
不要了服务生 再来两杯薄荷鸡尾酒
I really shouldn’t. Bartender, two more stingers.
三杯
Make it three.
嗯 还是两杯
Uh, no, just two, please.
我要走了 还有个约会
I have to go. An appointment with my psychiatrist.
– 你总是喝薄荷鸡尾酒吗 斯托德先生? – 嗯哼
– Do you always drink stingers, Mr. Stroud? – Mm-hmm.
– 你怎么知道我叫斯托德? – 哦 我是心理专家…
– What makes you think my name is Stroud? – Oh, I’m psychic…
占卜家 星象家
horoscopes, crystal balls, astrology.
– 或许我要给你买♥♥点黄纸 – 你会的
– Perhaps I should’ve brought a deck of cards. – Your hand will do.
哦 一个陌生人将会出现在你生活中
Oh, I see a stranger coming into your life,
一个神秘的女人
a woman of mystery.
她知道我结婚了吗?
Does she know I’m married?
知道 我还知道你 最近跟人发生口角
Yes. And I saw a recent quarrel with a very unpleasant man,
和一个出版商
a publisher,
还会说每天工作26个小时 圣诞节 国♥庆♥节…
and the words, “26 hours a day, Christmases, Fourth of Julys…”
等等 你不仅仅是会看手相啊