1959年11月1日
On November 1, 1959,
纽约市的人口达到了8 042 783
the population of New York City was 8,042, 783.
如果把所有的人头尾相连
If you laid them all end to end,
按照每个人5英尺6英寸的话
figuring an average height of 5 feet 6 inches,
这个长度可以从时代广场
they would reach from Times Square
一直连到巴基斯坦郊外的卡拉奇
to the outskirts of Karachi, Pakistan.
我很清楚这些事情
I know facts like this
因为我在一家名为联合生活的保险公♥司♥工作
because I work for an insurance company, Consolidated Life.
一家美国前五名的大公♥司♥之一
We’re one of the top five companies in the country.
我们总部有 31 259名员工
Our home office has 31,259 employees,
大概比密西西比河岸的那其兹的总人数还要多
which is more than the entire population of, uh… Natchez, Mississippi.
我在19楼工作 普通保单处理部
I work on the 19th floor. Ordinary Policy Department,…
保费清算分部 W 分区 桌号♥为861
Premium Accounting Division, Section W, desk number 861.
我全名为CC 巴克斯特:C是卡尔文 C是克利夫德
My name is CC Baxter: C for Calvin, C for Clifford.
但是人们一般都叫我巴德
But most people call me Bud.
我在这里工作了三年零十个月
I’ve worked here three years, ten months,
我扣税后的实得工资是每周94 7美元
and my take-home pay is $94. 70 a week.
我们部门的上班时间是从 8:50到17:20
The hours in our department are 8.50 to 5.20.
16部电梯来回在每层楼忙碌
They’re staggered by floor so 16 elevators
这样才能运送31 259名员工
can handle the 31,259 employees…
而不至于交通堵塞
without a serious traffic jam.
对于我个人而言 我一般经常待在办公室里
As for myself, I very often stay on at the office
有时候还会加班一两个小时
and work for an extra hour or two,
特别是天气很差的时候
..especially when the weather is bad.
这不是因为我特别有野心
It’s not that I’m overly ambitious.
只是一种消磨时间的办法
It’s just a way of killing time
直到我回家时间的到来
until it’s all right for me to go home.
你看 我的公♥寓♥有一点小问题
You see, I have this little problem with my apartment.
我住在西街60号♥ 离中心公园只有半街之隔
I live in the West 60s, just half a block from Central Park.
我的房♥租是每月85美元 去年七月份还是80美元
My rent is $85 a month. It used to be $80 until last July…
直到房♥东利伯曼夫人安装了一个二手空调后
when Mrs Lieberman, the landlady, put in a second-hand air conditioner.
这确实是一间好公♥寓♥
It’s a real nice apartment.
朴实无华 但是很舒适 特别适合单身汉
Nothing fancy, but kind of cosy. Just right for a bachelor.
唯一的问题是 我不能随心所欲地随时进去
The only problem is I can’t always get in when I want to.
快停下来 塞尔维亚 我们要马上出去
Cut it out, Sylvia. We’ve gotta get out of here.
干什么这么慌张呢?
What’s the panic?
我还想喝一杯马提尼
I’m gonna have another martini.
求你了 塞尔维亚 现在九点一刻了
Please, Sylvia. It’s a quarter of nine.
开始你让我在这里等
First you can’t wait to get me here
然后就一直匆匆忙忙
and then it’s rush, rush, rush.
让我觉得自己是廉价的妓♥女♥
Makes a person feel cheap.
甜心 不是那样的
Sweetie, it’s not that.
但我答应那家伙8点整就出去的
But I promised the guy I’d be outta here by eight.
谁?这间公♥寓♥是谁的?
What guy? Whose apartment is this?
公♥司♥的某个傻鸟
Some schnook that works in the office.
晚上好 巴克斯特先生 – 利伯曼夫人你好
Good evening, Mr.Baxter. – Mrs Lieberman.
这糟糕的鬼天气
Some weather we’re having.
一定是从好望角那里传过来
Must be from all that meshugaas at Cape Canaveral.
你被锁在门外了吗?
You’re locked out of your apartment?
有 没有 只是在等一个朋友
No, no. Just waiting for a friend.
晚安 利伯曼夫人 – 晚安 巴克斯特先生
Good night, Mrs Lieberman. – Good night, Mr.Baxter.
你住在哪里?- 我告诉过你了 和我母亲
Where do you live? – I told you. With my mother.
她住在哪里?- 布朗克斯 19街
Where does she live? – 179th Street, in the Bronx.
好的 我送你到地铁站
All right. I’ll take you to the subway.
去死吧 你应该让我打的回家
Like hell you will! You’ll buy me a cab.
为什么你们这些小姐们都住在布鲁克斯呢?
Why do all you dames live in the Bronx?
你还带过其他的女孩到这里?
You bring other girls up here?
当然没有 我是一个快乐的已婚男人
Certainly not. I’m a happily married man.
你好 爵弗斯太太 – 有什么问题吗?
Hello there, Mrs Dreyfuss. – Something’s the matter?
哦 我好像把钥匙放在… 哈 在这里
Uh, no. I… seem to have dropped my key. Ah, here it is.
我好像听到你的房♥间很吵啊
Such a racket I heard in your place.
你房♥间是不是有小偷光顾?
Maybe you had burglars?
不要担心这个
Don’t worry about that.
我的房♥间没什么好偷的 晚安
There’s nothing in here anybody’d wanna steal. Good night.
很抱歉打扰你 巴克小伙
Sorry to bother you, Buddy-boy,
只是刚才那位小姐忘了她的手套
but the little lady forgot her galoshes.
科克比先生 你应该八点就离开的
Mr.Kirkeby, you were supposed to be outta here by eight.
夏天还无所谓 但是在这样一个雨天
I don’t mind in the summer, but on a rainy night…
我还没有吃晚饭呢 – 知道 知道
I haven’t had any dinner yet. – Sure, sure.
哦
Oh!
我告诉你个从人事部舍尔爵克先生那里传来的好消息
I put in a good word for you with Sheldrake in Personnel.
舍尔爵克先生 – 对
Mr.Sheldrake? – That’s right.
我们讨论了认识调动方面的问题
We discussed manpower promotionwise.
我告诉他你是非常合适的人选
I told him you’re a bright boy.
他们一直都在寻找年轻经理的合适人选
They’re always on the lookout for young executives.
你马上就可以被提升上去了
You’re on your way up.
而且你的酒已经被喝光了
And you’re also out of liquor.
抵押和借贷部的爱其尔伯格先生
Mr.Eichelberger, Mortgage and Loans,
昨天晚上举♥行♥了一个万圣节晚会
last night he had a Halloween party.
给我留了一些伏特加和苦艾酒
Lay in some vodka and vermouth for me.
你还欠我两瓶酒呢
You still owe me for the last two bottles.
我星期五付钱给你
I’ll pay you on Friday.
对了 你曾经用过的那个奶酪搅拌器怎么了
Oh, and whatever happened to those little cheese crackers you used to have?
奶酪搅拌器?
Cheese crackers?
干杯
Cheers.
晚安 巴克斯特先生
Good evening, Baxter.
嗨 医生 看病这么晚回来?
Hi, Doc. Had a late call?
是的 斯科夫特的一些小丑吃三明治…
Yeah. Some clown at Schrafft’s ate a club sandwich…
把牙签也吃了进去
including the toothpick.
哦 晚安 医生 – 回头见 巴克斯特
Well, good night, Doc. – Say, Baxter.
像你这样天天折腾
The way you’re beltin’ that stuff,
估计你有一个铁打的肾
you must have cast-iron kidneys.
那不是我
That’s not me.
只是有时候 一些朋友在我这里喝酒
Just once in a while I have a few people in for a drink.
事实上 你也确实很厉害 铁人一个
As a matter of fact, you must be an iron man all around.
每天从墙那边都传来那种声音
From what I hear through the walls,
看来你好像每天都在做♥爱♥
you’re at it every night.
不好意思 吵到你们了
I’m sorry if it gets noisy.
只是有时候 我看连续两场的棒球赛
And sometimes there’s a double-header.
像你一样平凡
A nebbish like you.
好了 回头见 医生
Yeah. Well, I’ll see you, Doc.
对了 我在哥伦比亚医学中心做研究
You know, I’m doing some research at the Columbia Medical Center.
你能帮我一个忙吗?- 我?
Could you do us a favour? – Me?
当你确立遗嘱的时候…
When you make out your will…
在你上天国以后 你…
and the way you’re going, you should…
你介意把你的身体捐赠给大学做研究吗?
would you mind leaving your body to the university?
我的身体?
My body?
恐怕你们要失望了 晚安 医生
I’m afraid you guys’d be disappointed. Good night, Doc.
慢走 孩子
Slow down, kid.
哦 在去天堂的路上
Oh, for heaven…
来自世界最经典电影的收藏
From the world’s greatest library of film classics,
我们荣誉推介…
we proudly present…
葛丽泰·嘉宝 约翰·巴里摩尔
Greta Garbo, John Barrymore,
琼·克劳馥 华♥莱♥士♥·比里和莱昂纳尔·巴里摩尔
Joan Crawford, Wallace Beery and Lionel Barrymore
主演的 “大饭店”
in “Grand Hotel”.
但是 首先 请我们的赞助商致辞
But first, a word from our sponsor.
如果你是时尚抽烟一族
If you smoke the modern way,
不要被那些假冒的过滤嘴广♥告♥所欺骗
don’t be fooled by phoney filter claims.
现在开始播放 “大饭店”
And now, “Grand Hotel”,
由葛丽泰·嘉宝 约翰·巴里摩尔
starring Greta Garbo, John Barrymore,…
华♥莱♥士♥·比里和莱昂纳尔·巴里摩尔主演
..Joan Crawford, Wallace Beery and Lionel Barrymore.
但是首先 请我们的第二赞助商致辞
But first, a word from our alternate sponsor.
朋友们 你有摇动的假牙吗?
Friends, do you have wobbly dentures?
喂 – 你好 巴克小伙
Hello. – Hiya, Buddy-boy.
我现在在61街的酒吧
I’m in this bar on 61st Street
于是我想给你打个电♥话♥
and I figured I’d give you a little buzz.
非常感谢 请问您是哪位?
That’s very nice of you but… who is this?
多比奇 行政部的乔·多比奇
Dobisch. Joe Dobisch, in Administration.
哦 我没听出你的声音
Oh, yeah. I didn’t recognise your voice.
没关系 巴克
That’s OK, Buddy-boy.