尽管就是树
…it is a tree.
为什么哈罗德要和这个人谈话?
Why was Harold talking to this man?
这人是个傻冒
This man was an idiot.
这人用“忽忽悠悠”、“唠嗑”这样的词
This man used words like ”wibbly-wobbly” and ”convo. ”
还解释说树是树
And explained that trees were trees.
树当然是树
Of course trees were trees.
哈罗德知道树是树
Harold knew trees were trees.
我要相信你了,哈罗德
I am going to beIieve you, HaroId.
哈罗德不知道的是
What Harold didn’t know was why he couldn’t shake…
为何他忘不掉那褐色的气味
…the smell of brownies from his senses.
为何帕斯卡女士 让他指尖颤抖,双唇紧闭
Why Ms. Pascal had made his fingertips quiver and lips go numb.
哈罗德?
HaroId?
抱歉
Yes? Sorry.
怎么了,哈罗德?
What’s going on, HaroId?
嗯…
WeII….
没什么,都很好
Nothing. Everything’s fine.
听着,根据你的记录…
Listen, according to your records…
你这几年都没休过假
…you haven’t taken vacation in a few years now.
去休息休息吧
Let’s say you take a IittIe break.
使用点假期
Use some of that vaca time.
嗯,我会考虑一下的
Yeah. I’II think about it.
哈罗德
HaroId.
我真不应该这样做,但…
I’m not reaIIy supposed to do this, but….
哈罗德简单地认为他的手表出故障了
Harold assumed his watch was simply on the fritz…
从没想过它也许想告诉他什么
…and never even considered that it might be trying to tell him something.
实际上,哈罗德从没注意过他的表…
ln fact, Harold had never once paid attention to his watch…
除了看看时间
…other than to find out the time.
老实说,这把他的表逼疯了
And, honestly, it drove his watch crazy.
所以,在这个特别的星期三的傍晚…
And so, on this particular Wednesday evening…
正当哈罗德等公车,他的表…
…as Harold waited for the bus, his watch suddenly…
停了
…stopped.
对不起,有人知道时间吗?
Sorry, does anyone have the time?
嗯,我这是6点18 – 谢谢
Yeah, I got 6:1 8. -Thanks.
这样哈罗德的表把他送上一条不归路
Thus Harold’s watch thrust him into the immitigable path of fate.
他毫不知晓这个表面上无害的动作…
Little did he know that this simple, seemingly innocuous act…
会导致他即将到来的死亡
…would result in his imminent death.
什么?什么?
What? What?
嘿!哈罗!
Hey! HeIIo?
什么!
What?
为什么?
Why?
为什么我会死?
Why my death?
哈罗!
HeIIo!
劳驾!
Excuse me!
什么时候?
When?
有多近?
How imminent?
好吧,你在哪?
Okay, where are you?
“哈罗德刷他32颗牙齿72遍”
”HaroId wouId brush his 32 teeth 72 times.”
你为什么不说话? 我听得见你
Why won’t you say anything? I heard you.
“这会导致他即将到来的死亡”
”That wouId resuIt in his imminent death.”
我听见你了!
I heard you!
快出来,你这弱智声音
Come on, you stupid voice.
“哈罗德狂暴地抓起他的台灯
”HaroId franticaIIy grabbed his Iamp.
哈罗德愤怒地,无缘由地 把它扔了出去
HaroId, incensed, shook the heII out of it for no apparent reason!
把它摔在地上,一个劲地踢
And smashed it on the ground, kicking it repeatedIy!
哈罗德拿起他的面巾纸盒 扔到屋子另一边…
HaroId took his KIeenex box, threw it across the room…
然后对着衣橱爆发了
…then stormed the cIoset!”
来啊,说话啊
Come on. Say something.
说话啊!
Something. Say something!
说话啊!
Say something!
“哈罗德,发狂的…”
”HaroId, distraught….”
天啊
God.
“哈罗德,发狂的…”
”HaroId, distraught….”
“哈罗德…”
”HaroId….”
我恐怕您所描述的是精神分♥裂♥症
l’m afraid what you’re describing is schizophrenia.
不,不,不是精神分♥裂♥症 只是我耳边有个声音
No. No. It’s not schizophrenia. It’s just a voice in my head.
我是说,那个声音什么都没让我做
I mean, the voice isn’t teIIing me to do anything.
只是在说我做了什么
It’s teIIing me what I’ve aIready done.
用词准确而丰富
AccurateIy and with a better vocabuIary.
克里克先生,您听到一个声音对您讲话
Mr. Crick, you have a voice speaking to you.
不,不是对我讲话,而是说着我的事情
No, not to me, about me.
我不知何故卷进了什么故事中
I’m somehow invoIved in some sort of story.
就像我是我自己生活中一个角色
Like I’m a character in my own Iife.
但问题是那个声音来来往往
But the probIem is that the voice comes and goes.
好像故事其它部分并没告诉我
Like there are other parts of the story not being toId to me…
我要尽快弄清楚其他部分
…and I need to find out what those other parts are before it’s too Iate.
在那故事以你死亡作为结局之前
Before the story concIudes with your death.
是的
Yes.
克里克先生,我不想给人打击
Mr. Crick, I hate to sound Iike a broken record…
但这就是精神分♥裂♥症
…but that’s schizophrenia.
您听着不是给人打击 但这不是精神分♥裂♥症
You don’t sound Iike a broken record, but it’s just not schizophrenia.
要是我说的没错呢?
What if what I said was true?
假设我就是故事的一部分,有个讲述者
HypotheticaIIy speaking, if I was part of a story, a narrative…
即使是仅存在于我的脑中
…even if it was onIy in my mind…
您建议我怎么做呢?
…what wouId you suggest that I do?
我建议您按方抓药
I wouId suggest you take prescribed medication.
除此之外的
Other than that.
我不知道
I don’t know.
我觉得我要把你送到认识作家的人那
I suppose I wouId send you to see someone who knows about Iiterature.
好吧
Okay.
这是个不错的主意
Yeah. That’s a good idea.
谢谢
Thank you.
那么您就是那位打电♥话♥给我说 关于讲述者事情的那位先生
So you’re the gentIeman who caIIed me about the narrator.
是的 – 那个讲述者说您会死去
Yes. -This narrator says you’re gonna die.
是的
Yes.
您还能活多长时间? – 我不知道
How Iong has it given you to Iive? -I don’t know.
真讽刺,你随时会挂掉
Dramatic irony. It’II fuck you every time.
所以你很抓狂吧? – 嗯…
So you crazy or what? -WeII–
你被允许和疯狂的人说这个吗?
Are you aIIowed to say that to crazy peopIe?
我不知道 – 走廊里…
I don’t know. -Oh, weII. How many stairs…
…有多少级台阶? – 什么?
…in the haIIway out there? -What?
我们在走路的时候你就在数,对吧?
You were counting them as we waIked, weren’t you?
没有
No.
当然有,你在哪家银行工作?
Of course. What bank do you work at?
不是银行,我是国税局审计员
No bank. IRS agent.
结婚了? – 没
Married? -No.
结过吗?
Ever?
曾和一个审计员订婚了 然后她甩了我去找一个保险统计师了
Engaged to an auditor. She Ieft me for an actuary.
真让人伤心,自己住着? – 对
How heartbreaking. Live aIone? -Yes.
养宠物吗? – 没
Any pets? -No.
有朋友吗? – 没,嗯,戴维,工作上的
Friends? -No. WeII, Dave at work.
我明白了,那个叙述者,他是什么声音?
I see. The narrator, exactIy what does he sound Iike?
是个女人
It’s a woman.
女人
A woman.
熟悉的女人? – 不是
Is it a famiIiar woman? -No.
你认识的?
Someone you know?
不是
No.
你有时间数清厕所里的瓷砖吗?
Did you have enough time to count the tiIes in the bathroom?
我没数瓷砖
I wasn’t counting the tiIes.
喝咖啡吗? – 不,谢谢
Coffee? -No, thank you.
肯定? – 是的
Sure? -Yes.
那么这个女人,她的声音 告诉你你会死去?
So this woman, the voice, toId you you’re gonna die?
她不是告诉我 他不知道我能听见她
She didn’t teII me. She doesn’t know I can hear her.
但她说出来了 – 是的
But she said it. -Yes.
而且你相信她
And you beIieved her.
有些事情上她是不对的
She’s been right about a few other things.
比如? – 我对工作的感觉
Such as? -How I feIt about work.
你不喜欢你的工作? – 是的
You disIike your work? -Yes.
还不是世界上最有洞察力的声音,是吧?
WeII, not the most insightfuI voice in the worId, is it?
美国人厌恶列表上的第一条:工作
First thing on a Iist of what Americans hate: work.
第二条,交通;第三条,丢失的袜子 明白我的话吗?
Second, traffic. Third, missing socks. See what I’m saying?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!