I agree with you. I’m as able and brilliant as ever.
不过病过一次 难免不再病
But having crumbled once, I might crumble again.
你工作太累了
You were overworked.
一语道破 精辟的诊断
A charming diagnosis for a broken-down horse.
老师勇于面对现实的乐观精神
I shall always remember your cheerfulness today
我会永远铭记
as a lesson in how to accept reality, Dr. Murchison.
这只是表面轻松
Don’t be too taken in by my happy air, Constance.
对工作20年做告别不是轻松的事
It’s the least difficult way of saying goodbye to 20 years.
是的 我理解
Yes, I know.
请进
Come in.
有你的信 还有冈斯先生来了
Your mail, Dr. Petersen and Mr. Garmes.
请进 冈斯先生
Come in, Mr. Garmes.
今天动身吗 我还能见你吗?
You’re not leaving today? I’ll see you again?
爱德华大夫熟悉环境之前
I shall hover around for a while like an old mother hen.
我会像保姆一样待一阵
At least until Dr. Edwardes is firmly on the list.
今天感觉好吗 冈斯先生
How do you feel today, Mr. Garmes?
觉得好些了 现在好像不那么烦心了
Somewhat better, Doctor. The thing seems a little less troublesome.
我可以代劳吗 大夫
May I do that for you, Doctor?
不 谢谢 我做得可好了
Thank you, no. I can do this myself very well.
请坐 请稍等一会
Please sit down. I’ll be with you in a moment.
大名鼎鼎的爱德华来了
So that’s the mighty Anthony Edwardes.
比我想象的要年轻
He looks younger than I expected.
只带了一个皮箱 大概他不想在这长干吧
He’s only brought one suitcase. Perhaps he doesn’t intend to remain very long.
这让莫奇森去操心吧
Leave those daydreams to Dr. Murchison.
先生们 新院长安东尼·爱德华大夫 富勒洛大夫
Gentlemen, our new chief, Dr. Anthony Edwardes. Dr. Fleurot.
你好 – 你好
How do you do? – How do you do?
我是格拉夫大夫
I am Dr. Graff.
你好
How do you do?
哈米什大夫
Dr. Hanish.
你好
How do you do?
还有一些大夫没到 爱德华大夫
There’s still some staff members missing, Dr. Edwardes.
你就住这儿
These are your quarters.
这儿不像一个医院
They’re very festive for an institution.
爱德华大夫 莫奇森大夫
Dr. Edwardes, Dr. Murchison.
你好 莫奇森大夫 我久仰你的大名
How do you do, Dr. Murchison? I’ve heard a great deal about you, sir.
我对你也是久仰了
And I naturally about you.
你比我想像的年轻
You’re younger than I thought you’d be.
不年轻了 我只是不见老
My age hasn’t caught up with me yet.
我见老了 应该让更有作为的人来接替
Mine has, it seems. I’m pleased to hand over the reins to steadier hands.
我把这儿的图书也留给你
I’m leaving you my library which contains,
其中有你最近写的一本名叫
amongst other items of interest, your latest volume,
《犯罪变♥态♥心理探索》的书
The Labyrinth of the Guilt Complex.
写得很好
An excellent work.
但愿这儿也能引人入胜
I hope Green Manors will inspire others as fine.
谢谢
I’m very grateful.
我不知道退位诏书怎么说 爱德华大夫
I don’t know the formal words for an abdication, Dr. Edwardes.
我只能说 我住过20年的地方
May I say, merely, that these quarters which I’ve occupied for 20 years
现在归你了 我少陪了
are now yours. Will you excuse me?
我跟爱德华大夫交谈过
I spent a half-hour with Dr. Edwardes.
他给我的印象太好了
I must say, I was most favorably impressed.
我想跟他学很多东西
I intend to learn a great deal from Dr. Edwardes.
他很有才 我们都应该向他学
I think we all can, from a man with such obvious talents.
你看过他的著作
You’re familiar with his work?
他的书我都看过
Yes, I’ve read all his books.
思路敏锐 不一般
A very keen, unorthodox mind.
由他来继承莫奇森的事业 实在太好了
It would be dreadful if Dr. Murchison’s successor was unworthy of him.
他来了
He’s joining us.
你都见过了吧 爱德华大夫
I think you know everyone here, Dr. Edwardes.
不 没有
No, not yet.
这是彼特森大夫
This is Dr. Petersen.
你好
How do you do?
爱德华大夫
Dr. Edwardes.
哈米什大夫带我到处看了看
Dr. Hanish has been showing me the grounds.
这医院办得很好 莫奇森大夫
It’s a remarkable institution, Dr. Murchison.
到了夏天 这儿一定很美
Must be quite beautiful in the summer.
我也陪爱德华大夫去看了
I pointed out to Dr. Edwardes
病人室外活动场所
our various open-air diversions for the patients.
莫奇森大夫一直认为我们在这方面的研究尚待努力
Dr. Murchison always argued we did not do enough in that direction,
我同意
and I agree with him.
我提醒你 彼特森大夫是业余运动员
Let me warn you that Dr. Petersen is a frustrated gymnast.
富勒洛大夫可是擅长全能体操的
Dr. Fleurot considers anything beyond sitting and standing gymnastics.
我想你非常喜欢运动
I imagine you’re very fond of sports.
是的 我很怀念 特别是冬季运动
Yes, I am, and I miss them, particularly winter sports.
也陪她去看了榆树林了吗?
Did you show Dr. Edwardes the elm grove?
对 当然去了
Yes, yes indeed.
我们希望在那儿造个游泳池
That’s where we hope to have our new swimming pool.
我最喜欢游泳了
I’m a great believer in the swimming pool.
最好就造在那榆树林里
There’s a perfect spot for it among the elms.
不要造长方形 像个天然的 像…
Not an oblong one, but an irregular pool, something…
像这个样子
Something like this,
懂吗
you know.
这儿是更衣室
Bathhouses should be here.
大概医院的桌布太多 可以随便乱画吧?
I take it that the supply of linen at this institution is inexhaustible!
对不起
Forgive me.
这使我想起我的精神病教授 布罗诺夫博士
That reminds me of my professor in psychiatry, Dr. Brulov.
他最怕餐桌上放酱油盐瓶
He could never stand a sauce bottle on the table or even a salt shaker.
他一看见它们就吃不下饭
They took his appetite away.
有一次宴会 主要是请他
I remember once at a banquet in his honor,
他拒绝首席上就座
he refused to sit at the speaker’s table
因为桌上放了好多瓶…
because he was completely surrounded by…
番茄酱
…by ketchup.
昨天我看见
Last night at dinner,
你在餐桌上笑得真是甜
a dimple appeared in your cheek that was never there before.
还注意到你对爱德华大夫那种母性的本能
And I detected the outcroppings of a mother instinct toward Dr. Edwardes.
我讨厌这种俏皮话
I detest that sort of high-school talk.
你的反应完全推♥翻♥了我的理论
Your reactions have upset one of my pet theories about you.
那就是 你看不中精神病大夫
To wit, that you were immune to psychoanalysts
你会看上一个头发蓬松的小傻瓜
and would end up in the arms of some Boob McNutt with spiked hair.
我要真看上这种人 我早就爱上你了
If I were looking for that type, Dr. Fleurot, I would have adored you.
进来
Come in.
对不起 新院长的条子
Excuse me, it’s from Dr. Edwardes.
写情书了 法国人风格
Love notes already. The French school of science.
我本来我不想来医院 我兄弟坚持送我来
I didn’t want to come to this institution, but my brother insisted.
我看不出有什么用
I can see no sense in it myself.
你看 我没有产生幻觉
You see, I’m convinced I’m not suffering from any hallucination
而我的罪是真的
but that my guilt is very real.
爱德华大夫 我杀了父亲
I know, Dr. Edwardes, that I killed my father.
应该受到惩罚
And I’m willing to pay the penalty for it.
请进
Come in.
你来得好快
Thank you for coming so soon.
冈斯先生说他有病 你也来听听吧
I’ve been listening to Mr. Garmes and thought you might help me out.
冈斯先生 你何必麻烦新院长
Mr. Garmes, you shouldn’t have disturbed Dr. Edwardes.
不要紧 我对他的病很有兴趣
That’s all right. I’m very interested in Mr. Garmes’ case.
那当然 他完全符合你对犯罪心理的论述
I knew you would be. He fits perfectly into your chapters on the guilt complex.
请问你们在谈论什么
Would you mind telling me what you’re talking about?
我们想用精神分♥析♥法来医治你的犯罪心理
You’re here to see if we can cure your guilt complex by psychoanalysis.
我没有犯罪心理
But I have no guilt complex.
我是犯了罪
I know what I know.
我杀了我父亲
I killed my father and I…
你没有杀你父亲
No, you didn’t kill your father.
这是你心理上的一种错觉
That’s a misconception that has taken hold of you.
对不起 院长 我打断了你的话
I’m sorry, Doctor. You were talking to him.
不不 接着说
No, no, go on.
一个无罪的人感到自己有罪
People often feel guilty over something they never did.
往往起源于童年
It usually goes back to their childhood.
孩子往往希望别人碰上什么祸害
The child often wishes something terrible would happen to someone,
要别人真碰上祸害
and if something does happen to that person,
孩子就以为是自己做的
the child believes he’s caused it.
长大了就有一种犯罪心理
Then he grows up with a guilt complex
实际上是一种幻觉
over a sin that was only a child’s bad dream.
都是我自己想出来的