I’m all right. What about the two of you?
我怕得很 我真笨
Yeah, well, I was so frightened, you know. I was stupid.
我怕得很 以为你出事了
I got so scared, you know, I thought something had happened to you.
我应该打个电♥话♥ 但又不想吵醒你
I would’ve called, but I didn’t want to take the chance of waking you up.
我们在进行大型计划
We’re onto something in our work. Something big.
-是吗 -很大型的计划
– Yeah? – Something very big.
内森 那真好
That’s wonderful, Nathan.
对 好极了
Yeah, wonderful.
但你在这里
But you were here
跟苏菲一起
with Sophie.
斯汀戈 他
Yes, Stingo, you know, he…
斯汀戈约会完便会回来
Stingo came home from his date.
我听见门声以为是你 于是跑出去 但
So I heard the door, I thought it was you. Sol run out, but…
我叫住他说”何不上来喝一杯”
Anyway, I called him, I said, “Why don’t you come up for a drink?”
因为我正担心 而他又是我的好友
Because I was worried and he was a very good friend to me.
他来陪我
He was keeping me company.
现在你看过了我的至圣所
So now you’ve seen my sanctum sanctorum.
知道了内森所有的秘密
Now you know all of Nathan’s dark and dour secrets.
只是皮毛
Hardly.
他们屠♥杀♥了六百万犹太人
They wipe out six million Jews
世人让他们逃脱
and the world lets them escape.
南方小子 想加入我的私刑团吗
Wanna join me in a little lynching party, Southern boy?
我期待向你学习
I expect you might have a lotto teach me there.
我想回家睡觉了
I’m going to call it a night here.
斯汀戈 等一等
Stingo, wait.
斯汀戈是我们最好的朋友 为何你要那样做
Stingo is our best friend. Why do you do that?
他是我们最好的朋友 所以我们应该向他道谢
He is our best friend. He deserves only our thanks.
内森 听我说
Nathan, listen to me.
我很怕 如果不是他我不知怎么办
I was frightened, I didn’t know what I would do if he had not been here.
是真的
It’s true.
原谅我 老朋友 很抱歉
Forgive me, old buddy. I’m sorry.
我至爱的苏菲当然说得对
Of course my beloved Sophie is right.
是
Yeah.
我不应埋首工作
I must’ve got crazy with the work, you know.
我知道你是
I know you do.
我们正进行大型计划
We’re onto something big.
亲爱的 我知道
I know, darling.
我只是疯狂的科学家 我们是一群疯子
I’m just another mad scientist, we’re all a bunch of nuts.
我要走了
Come on…
我要走了
I’m leaving.
-谢谢你 -嗯
– Thank you. – Yeah.
谢谢你照顾苏菲
Thank you for taking care of Sophie.
不用客气
Yeah, all right.
噢 内森
Oh, Nathan!
对不起
I’m sorry.
亲爱的 我回来了
Darling, I’m home.
好 你没事吧
Right! Are you all right?
没事
Yeah. Yeah.
真的吗
Are you sure?
真的
Yeah.
你在南部时没有抛接过吗
Don’t you catch things in the South?
进展如何
How’s it going?
很好 怎么了
Fine. It’s going well.
看准
Think fast!
糟糕
Jesus!
你来了什么都给搅乱了
You came in and you wreck everything.
雅达供应布鲁克林区的
Yetta, you know, always provides the best.
上等货
The best you can find in Brooklyn!
噢 该死
Oh, shit!
苏菲工作完应该正在小睡
Sophie should be taking a nap after work.
自从战后她都没有再睡
She just doesn’t sleep anymore. Not since the war.
进展如何
How’s it going?
很好 谢谢
Yeah, fine. Thank you.
让我看看
Well, let me take a look at those.
-不要 -来
– No. No, no, no! – Come on!
我不会打扰你 不会批评 甚至不会
I won’t interfere, I won’t make any comments. I won’t even…
我从来没给别人看过 没有人看过
Look, I’ve shown this to no one. No one’s seen this.
但我不是别人 我是你的朋友
Yeah, but I’m not no one. I’m a friend.
你在南部没有朋友吗
Don’t you have those down South?
“朋友”是指两个人
“Friend,” a person attached to another
以友谊或感情相连
by a feeling of personal regard or affection.
看 乐意帮忙的人
Look. One who offers assistance.
守护者 支持者
A patron, a supporter.
我开始写之前发过誓
Look, I vowed to myself when I started this,
未写完最后一句之前
I was not going to show it to anyone
不给人看
until I finish the very last sentence.
写完后我会亲手送上
Then only after that, can I offer it to any person.
嗯
Well… Hmm.
你是担心有人不喜欢吧
Okay. You mean, you’re just terrified that somebody won’t like it.
怕得要命
Terrified as in filled with terror.
强烈支配着你的恐惧
Terror, a sharp, overmastering, intense fear.
-好吧 好吧 -被支配着的胆怯
– All right, all right! – That which renders the victim chicken shit.
好吧 好吧
Yeah, all right, all right.
这个可以给你一点概念
That will give you some idea.
天啊
Oh, my God!
打字机上那页呢
What about the page in the typewriter?
不 这是
No, this is a…
内森 不要
Nathan! Stop!
好吧
All right.
斯汀戈 你想情况坏到极点是怎样
Stingo! What is the worst that can happen?
就是我发现你不懂写作 再见
I may discover you can’t write! Bye!
该死 去你的
Shit! Fuck!
内森 回来
Nathan, get back here!
老朋友 你拿不到了
It’s beyond your reach now, old buddy!
真是
Fine, right!
斯汀戈 等一等
Stingo, wait a minute!
等一等 内森命令我带你去看电影
Wait! Nathan have ordered me to take you to the movies.
他读稿时委派了我当你的监护人
He made me your guardian while he read that.
这样你便不会自残
Yes, so you don’t do no violence to yourself now.
内森一定读完了
Nathan must have finished reading that.
是
Yeah.
来 我们去看看
Come on, let’s go see.
我还是自个儿在这里等
I think I’ll wait in my room.
不 来
No, come on!
如果他有话要对我说 让他下来对我说
If he’s got something to say to me, let him come down and tell me.
是 别犯傻了
Yes, don’t be silly.
精彩
Bravo.
曾有许多
On this bridge,
伟大的美国作家站在这桥上寻找灵感
on which so many great American writers have stood and reached out for words
将感受向美国宣示
to give America its voice,
诗人韦文向东凝视
looking toward the land that gave us Whitman,
梦想他祖国的未来
from its Eastern edge dreamt his country’s future and gave it words,
在这桥上取得灵感
on this span
沃尔夫和哈特克莱恩也写过这桥
of which Thomas Wolfe and Hart Crane wrote,
我们欢迎斯汀戈来到诸神殿
we welcome Stingo into that pantheon of the gods,
她们的话语就是我们对人类所知的一切
whose words are all we know of immortality.
为斯汀戈干杯
To Stingo!
我怎能不受如此胸怀广阔
How could I have failed to have the most helpless crush
发人深省的导师感动
on such a generous mind and life-enlarging mentor?
内森绝对优秀杰出
Nathan was utterly, fatally glamorous.
苏菲
Sophie!
成功了
We did it!
-斯汀戈 -内森
– Stingo! – Nathan!
我们成功了
We did it!
什么 什么成功了
What? What did you do?
内森
Nathan!
记得那天回来我对你说
Remember I told you the day when I came home
我们正在进行大型计划吗
and I said we were on to something big?
-记得 -今天解决了
– Yeah. – Today, we cracked it.
什么 什么 什么
What? What? What?
现在不能告诉你 今晚再详细对你说